Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #46
Tinked
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 645

Thanks for the help. Maybe bumping this up will get more info.
__________________
DVC member since '92
Home resorts Old Key West and Beach Club Villas
Cruises: Wonder '05, 2/07/09 Western Caribbean on Magic, Wonder Bounce Back 9/24/09, Magic Eastern Caribbean 1/30/10, EBTA Bound for Barcelona 4/10/2010, 9/12/2010 Member Cruise, Aug. 23, 2011 Alaska, 6/10/12 Cruise to Canada, 6/15/12 Cruise to Nowhere
Future Cruises: 9/02/12 Cruise to Canada, 5/06/2013 WBPC, 8/25/13 Gayle's b-day cruise Dream
Tinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #47
fredgirls
DIS Veteran
 
fredgirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NB, Canada, 2811kms from Mickey
Posts: 857

flying with SW?

So, with SW releasing a few more dates I was looking at their flights to FLL.

We haven't used SW before though. I know a few of you have mentioned them. On reviews it sounds like the seat-yourself option is crazy, especially with kids. Stories of children being separated from parents! Can anyone reassure me?!

I'd like to fly into FLL I think as it sounds less crazy than MIA! Just worried about using SW.
__________________
Me DH DD(14) DD(10)

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #48
beachbratt
Mouseketeer
 
beachbratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Davenport Florida
Posts: 407

any info on off site parking

Does anyone have any recommendations for off site parking we will be driving down the morning of the cruise and wondered if there were any good optional site to park other then the Port for $20/day. We have found a great one for Port Canaveral but this will be our first time out of Miami
__________________

DISNEY WONDER**APRIL 29-MAY 3 2007**
DISNEY WONDER**SEPTEMBER 16-20 2007**
DISNEY MAGIC**SEPTEMBER 27-OCTOBER 4 2008**
DISNEY MAGIC**MAY 23-MAY 30 2009**
DISNEY MAGIC**DEC 05-DEC 12 2009**
DISNEY WONDER**JULY25-JULY30 2010**
CARNIVAL DREAM **DECEMBER 10-17 2011**
DISNEY FANTASY**AUGUST 25-SEPTEMBER 1 2012**
DISNEY DREAM **DEC 6-13 2012** B2B

beachbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #49
braysmommy
DIS Veteran
 
braysmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
So, with SW releasing a few more dates I was looking at their flights to FLL.

We haven't used SW before though. I know a few of you have mentioned them. On reviews it sounds like the seat-yourself option is crazy, especially with kids. Stories of children being separated from parents! Can anyone reassure me?!

I'd like to fly into FLL I think as it sounds less crazy than MIA! Just worried about using SW.
I have never been separated from my DS. A couple things you can do...one pay for one of your tickets to be upgraded I think for 10.00 to get on with group A and save seats for rest. I set an alarm to remind myself to log in at 24 HR mark and have always gotten group A or beginning of group B. Depending on age of children they do offer family boarding after group A once again you would find seats to sit together. We love SW!
__________________
B2B EBTA and Med '14
B2B Wonder Bahamas and WBPC May '13
EBTA '11
braysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #50
fredgirls
DIS Veteran
 
fredgirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NB, Canada, 2811kms from Mickey
Posts: 857

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysmommy View Post
I have never been separated from my DS. A couple things you can do...one pay for one of your tickets to be upgraded I think for 10.00 to get on with group A and save seats for rest. I set an alarm to remind myself to log in at 24 HR mark and have always gotten group A or beginning of group B. Depending on age of children they do offer family boarding after group A once again you would find seats to sit together. We love SW!
Thank you so much! I really want to try them as Manchester also looks a much more relaxed airport experience than Boston! And cheaper to park. All good. May just do it! Thanks for alleviating my nerves! We always sit 2 & 2 anyway, so I'm sure it'll be fine. All fun new experiences!
__________________
Me DH DD(14) DD(10)

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #51
braysmommy
DIS Veteran
 
braysmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
Thank you so much! I really want to try them as Manchester also looks a much more relaxed airport experience than Boston! And cheaper to park. All good. May just do it! Thanks for alleviating my nerves! We always sit 2 & 2 anyway, so I'm sure it'll be fine. All fun new experiences!
Yes, we avoid Boston if at all possible. I have flown out of Manchester before too very nice small airport.
__________________
B2B EBTA and Med '14
B2B Wonder Bahamas and WBPC May '13
EBTA '11
braysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #52
Gdes1
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 228

Re: Southwest We have always flown SWA and never had a problem. If kids are 4 (or 6?) and under, you board after group A and can get seats together. If you want to get a family of 4 together, that is harder, but you can at least have one parent with each child. I have seen families board late and they always make an announcement and ask people to move to help the family sit together.

But, best to do as PPs suggested....either pay the $10 to get priority boarding, or make sure you log on right at the 24 hour mark to check in, or take advantage of family boarding if your kids are very young. Mostly, just know the system, and BE ON TIME!

To the PP about FLL: I am not a local, but wanted to share this cool place. We are flying out of FLL and have a very long wait from disembarkation to our flight time. We plan to take our kids to Funderdome, about 10 mins from FLL, to run off some steam before the flight home. It's probably rare for others to need it, but you never know.
Gdes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #53
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbratt View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for off site parking we will be driving down the morning of the cruise and wondered if there were any good optional site to park other then the Port for $20/day. We have found a great one for Port Canaveral but this will be our first time out of Miami
Try looking over on www.cruisecritic.com for this info.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #54
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994
 
penel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls

Thank you so much! I really want to try them as Manchester also looks a much more relaxed airport experience than Boston! And cheaper to park. All good. May just do it! Thanks for alleviating my nerves! We always sit 2 & 2 anyway, so I'm sure it'll be fine. All fun new experiences!
Hi! We are from NH and always fly out of Manchester! It is quick, easy security line (nice people too) and parking is much less expensive than Boston. But if we fly Southwest, I always pay the $10 extra check in fee, because I NEVER remember to check in for our flight home at the 24 hour mark. It is $10 pp EACH way though, but no luggage fees, so it usually balances out. Enjoy!
__________________
DS12, DH ME
1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #55
fredgirls
DIS Veteran
 
fredgirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NB, Canada, 2811kms from Mickey
Posts: 857

Quote:
Originally Posted by penel3 View Post
Hi! We are from NH and always fly out of Manchester! It is quick, easy security line (nice people too) and parking is much less expensive than Boston. But if we fly Southwest, I always pay the $10 extra check in fee, because I NEVER remember to check in for our flight home at the 24 hour mark. It is $10 pp EACH way though, but no luggage fees, so it usually balances out. Enjoy!
Thank you so much everyone for your reassurances!
__________________
Me DH DD(14) DD(10)

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #56
Mouse Mom
Mouseketeer
 
Mouse Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 370

OK assuming this all works out according to my pre-conceived notions about sailing with Disney based on my trips out of Port Canaveral ... I usually get off the boat at 9 am - want to squeeze every last drop of life out of it until we meet again.... so what's it like at the Port of Miami --- I know the routine in PC ... has anyone sailed on a different cruise line .... just curious ... trying to book our return to NY and will probably fly out of Fort Lauderdale ... wondering if 1 pm flight is good ---
Mouse Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #57
hardingk
DVC Member since 2007 AKV & BLT
 
hardingk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse Mom
OK assuming this all works out according to my pre-conceived notions about sailing with Disney based on my trips out of Port Canaveral ... I usually get off the boat at 9 am - want to squeeze every last drop of life out of it until we meet again.... so what's it like at the Port of Miami --- I know the routine in PC ... has anyone sailed on a different cruise line .... just curious ... trying to book our return to NY and will probably fly out of Fort Lauderdale ... wondering if 1 pm flight is good ---
You should be fine with a 1pm out of FLL. When are you sailing?
__________________
WDW:7/14 BLT, VBR & POP, 8/13 BLT, 7/13 AKVK, 6/3 BWV, 12/12 AKVK, 11/12 BLT, 9/12 AKVJ, 2/12 AKVJ, 12/11 SSR, 11/11 AKV, 10/11 BLT & VWL, 9/11 AKVJ, 3/11 VBR & AKVK, 8/10 AKVK, 7/10 POFQ, 5/10 AKVK, 1/10 AKVJ, 12/09 OKW, 11/09 AKVK, 9/09 BLT, 8/09 POP, 5/09 AKVK, 1/09 AKVJ, 12/08 AKVJ, 11/08 OKW, 04/08 SSR, 9/07 WL, 8/07 CBR, 7/07 SSR & POP, 05/07 POR, 4/07 CSR, 5/05 CSR, 1/03 AS Sports, 7/90 CR, 7/86 POLY, 7/83 CR, 7/79. DLR: 7/11 PPH & VGC, 7/09 GCH, 3/07 DCL: 9/11 Dream, 8/12 Magic, 9/12 Fantasy, 2/13 B2B Wonder, 12/13 Dream
Cast: Me , DH , DD
hardingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #58
Mouse Mom
Mouseketeer
 
Mouse Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 370

Sail on 12-30-12!!!
Mouse Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #59
fredgirls
DIS Veteran
 
fredgirls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NB, Canada, 2811kms from Mickey
Posts: 857

Wonder scavenger Hunt

Hi,
Just realized I kind of got off topic for this Miami thread when asking about flights. Sorry.

As an apology here's something some of you might find fun. And it's kind of relevant! As Miami will host the Wonder, here's the link to a Wonder scavenger hunt thread someone started. Some might find it fun.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2919691
I think I'll use it as an alternative to the detective agency game my girls loved.
__________________
Me DH DD(14) DD(10)

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #60
kmedina
Loves all things Disney
 
kmedina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WDW for adults
Posts: 4,641

Thanks for starting this thread. We are leaving from Miami on the Wonder 03-25-13. It is likely we will spend our extra vacation says in this lovely city.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fll, fort lauderdale, mia, miami



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: