Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
5Dreamers
Mouseketeer

Palo and gluten-free question

I wasn't sure where to post my question, I hope I've placed it in the right forum.

We will be taking our first cruise since finding out I have Celiac and was
wondering if a Palo brunch and/or dinner was an option. We will be on the Magic.
Does anyone have any experiences they could share?
Are there enough gluten-free options to make the extra charge worth while?

I have no questions about the regular dining rooms, I've heard lots of feedback that they handle gluten-free very well.

Thanks,
Maria
5Dreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
fireworks fan
Mouseketeer

I had gluten free brunch at Palo on the Dream two summers ago and it was wonderful. There was quite a bit of the brunch buffet that was naturally gluten free. They also made me a gluten free pizza. The only part that I felt was lacking was dessert. I believe there were two options available, and they were okay. I would highly recommend the brunch!
fireworks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Since DCL does such a good job with the GF in the MDR's, it follows that Palo will be NO PROBLEM.

PP stated that lots of choices for Brunch. Dinner should be More So.

Go and Enjoy and Don't Worry!!
Old 08-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
princesitarita
Earning My Ears

Great to know!
princesitarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM   #5
kuhltiffany
Mouseketeer

We've done Palo on all 3 of our cruises, DH is celiac too. All the sauces are GF, and they can even make a GF Chocolate Souffle if told a day ahead

Enjoy!

kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM   #6
5Dreamers
Mouseketeer

Thank you to all for your information!
I booked a brunch and feel much better about it now.

Maria
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #7
ActingVP
Earning My Ears

Gluten Free

My husband has Celiac's Disease - so we're used to the GF options. We've been on 3 ships and have enjoyed Palo and Remy --but those gluten free dinner rolls are pretty rough! Maybe they have changed up a bit since we last tried them in May of this year.

All in all, DCL is great about having GF options in all of the restaurants. However, a bit annoying that they CONSTANTLY asked my dh to pre-order his dinner, no matter WHERE we dined - the NIGHT BEFORE. This has been the case each time. Next trip, we plan on NOT telling them he has Celiac's -because the staff gets so crazy about it.

It almost feels like he's "special needs" in a very intrusive way.

For example, for brunch, dh was stopped by a waiter that knew our table had GF requested and went with him to the buffet to go ITEM BY ITEM for my husband as to what he could eat/not eat. That was so annoying and my husband made a formal complaint.

While we KNOW that Celiac's is serious, he just didn't want the above-and-beyond treatment that DCL/Disney sometimes goes "overboard" (no pun intended!)!

We LOVE DCL and will continue to go on as many cruises as we possibly can. I'm only giving a word of caution so you can expect them to be quite accommodating for GF - but maybe a bit over the top at times.

Enjoy your brunch!

Always Disney Dreamin'....
March 2013 - Disney Dream to the Bahamas
January 2014 - Disney Fantasy to the Western Caribbean
May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA
May 2015 - Disney Wonder San Diego to Vancouver
September 2015 - Disney Magic WBTA

ActingVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM   #8
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Pretty sure the gluten free dinner rolls, muffins and such are Udi's, frozen.

Also you can avoid telling them about an allergy but you are putting yourself at risk - also if you've ever been in the system it will likely still be flagged. My head server had me noted the last time without having submitted anything to DCL or telling anyone anything that sailing.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM   #9
5Dreamers
Mouseketeer

cris0809 and ActingVP:

Very interesting info. I will keep those things in mind.
I don't really want to order my dinners the day before, but if it means I don't have to wait extra long for my food and that it is safe, I will do it.
I will notify Palo the day we board to make sure things run smoothly there too.

Thanks,
Maria
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM   #10
lorenni
DIS Veteran

And this has been mentioned before but bears repeating ...

There are finite supplies of GF specialty items stocked, based on the number of cruisers who have noted their celiac/allergy. And while I'm sure they build in some cushion there, if you're not going to advise them of your allergy, then please also refrain from eating my GF pizza, rolls, etc.
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #11
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActingVP View Post
My husband has Celiac's Disease - so we're used to the GF options. We've been on 3 ships and have enjoyed Palo and Remy --but those gluten free dinner rolls are pretty rough! Maybe they have changed up a bit since we last tried them in May of this year.

All in all, DCL is great about having GF options in all of the restaurants. However, a bit annoying that they CONSTANTLY asked my dh to pre-order his dinner, no matter WHERE we dined - the NIGHT BEFORE. This has been the case each time. Next trip, we plan on NOT telling them he has Celiac's -because the staff gets so crazy about it.

It almost feels like he's "special needs" in a very intrusive way.

For example, for brunch, dh was stopped by a waiter that knew our table had GF requested and went with him to the buffet to go ITEM BY ITEM for my husband as to what he could eat/not eat. That was so annoying and my husband made a formal complaint.

While we KNOW that Celiac's is serious, he just didn't want the above-and-beyond treatment that DCL/Disney sometimes goes "overboard" (no pun intended!)!

We LOVE DCL and will continue to go on as many cruises as we possibly can. I'm only giving a word of caution so you can expect them to be quite accommodating for GF - but maybe a bit over the top at times.

Enjoy your brunch!
Allergies like this actually DO make you "special needs". Bottom line is, if they don't take them seriously and something happens, they can be held accountable. And I suspect should you "neglect" to tell them and something happens, they could still be held accountable since it should be in your record.

I have a very mild peanut allergy - wheezing and itching only, but I still avoid them. When we sailed as a family, Daddy splurged on concierge, and our "meeting host" asked about it. When I said it was mild and I had Benadryl just in case, he asked if I wanted to take it off the reservation. I had to state I wanted it removed with witnesses. Made the mistake of mentioning it in February, and yes, everything had to be run by the head server and the cookie sundae (which I had in July) was altered so as to be disgusting - and my sister almost had to sign something taking responsibility so I could have the rum-soaked chocolate cake (not a nut to be found in that). Because my allergy is not severe and will not ruin my trip (I regularly travel with Benadryl), I will not mention "allergy" - simply ask about things I am unsure of "because I don't like them".

HOWEVER, based on friends I have who are Celiac, I would NOT want to have to deal with the after effects of eating gluten. If your husband wants to potentially ruin the rest of his cruise, that's on him I guess. But I know if I had an allergy or condition that would ruin the remainder of my vacation, I would be singing the praises of Disney for being so on top of things.
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM   #12
steelydad
Earning My Ears

To the OP, ate gluten free at Palo brunch last week on the Magic in the Med. Think the chef's name was Silvio(?). The pastry table is out of course but depending on your cross contamination concerns there are GF choices at the other tables with meats and fish. Chef explained what he could recreate from the buffet and which entrees and soups he could do. Strawberry soup was superfine, GF chicken parm better, GF silver dollar pancakes royal. He will discuss GF brands, kitchen, cooking methods for as long as you want to hear.

Proves again, Disney knows GF.

Bottom line: the service, the atmosphere, the food quality, yes its worth it, sure thing, no problema, sometimes it be that way
steelydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #13
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

The GF rolls are really hard, but at Remy the sliced them, toasted them, and served them with butter and they were really good.

Although it is awkward and time consuming to have them show you what is GF on the buffet, it seems cruel to file a complaint against the CM who is trying to help you and accommodate your request.

I can pretty much tell what is GF and what isn't on a buffet, EXCEPT for sauces and soups. So if I don't wan to bother the chef I will just eat meat/cold cuts, cheese, fruit, etc., while at the buffet. I prefer the sit down lunches because I feel like I get a better meal with less chance of cross contamination. But the rest of my family want to eat at the buffet because it is faster.

I wonder if I will need to "pre-order" dinner any more though...I saw a Magic trip report from earlier this month that had pix of the menus and the items were marked if they were GF or DF (dairy free). So hopefully I can just order like the rest of my family..
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #14
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

It has always been my understanding that if a menu item is marked dairy or gluten free that it's being advertised that it can be made that way, not necessarily that it is by default. Even if it has changed and is that thing by default, if a guest's concern is an allergy as opposed to a preference, they need to create the dish in a separate allergy area of the kitchen to avoid cross-contamination. That's the point.

So I'm afraid that the "inconvenience" of pre-ordering is probably still in effect for those with true allergies.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: