Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
jlou
Mouseketeer

Viva Italia free time

We just made our final payment! Whoo hoo! Really starting to feel real!

Does anyone have any suggestions for free time? We have a pre-day in Rome, so was thinking perhaps visiting Ostia Antiqua, has anyone here done that and would recommend it? Any other recommendations? I'm trying to avoid too many "museum-y" things and keep things more outside. We're traveling with a 16 and a 13 year old.

Also looking for suggestions for free time in Florence. I'm thinking Boboli Gardens; good idea? Any other suggestions?

We have two post nights in Venice. When we were in Paris, I regretting not having enough time (as we left on the last day of our Knights and Lights) to simply absorb the atmosphere of being in Paris. So, I thought we'd enjoy just wandering around Venice and "being" there. Thoughts? I also thought a trip to Murano would not be "too much". (I'm wondering if everyone will just be toured out by the end).

Much appreciation for any thoughts! Thanks!

Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
ldo
DIS Veteran

for rome: #1 would be day trip to Pompeii! Our next trip with the kids to Europe will include Pompeii, even if we have to make a specific stop there---the ruins, the history is amazing--your kids will remember it all their lives.
Other thing we are considering for our next trip to Rome: bike tour to the countryside and catacombs (look on viator.com for info on bike tour, pompeii day tour and to get other ideas). Florence--Ho-Ho bus that goes to Fiseole, walk around and have dinner there. Or just walk around Florence and have a gelato contest! Pitti Palace, if you aren't going with ABD.
IMHO, Vivia Italia is a fantastic trip! I have been to Italy 5X (DIY-I now have the train schedules memorized) and if you added Pompeii, this would tick all the boxes for me--just the right amount of smaller places like Orvieto and laid back fun included, as well!
Have fun! Elaine

Last edited by ldo; 03-20-2012 at 05:38 PM.
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
beachcat
Mouseketeer

Post Days in Venice

We did the Viva Italia tour in October 2011 and had two post days in Venice as well. We bought 24 hour Vaporetta tickets and rode the boats everywhere-- Completely around the island and over to Murano a great way to see the city. The trip up and down the Grand Canal was great. Have fun.
beachcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
jlou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldo View Post
for rome: #1 would be day trip to Pompeii! Our next trip with the kids to Europe will include Pompeii, even if we have to make a specific stop there---the ruins, the history is amazing--your kids will remember it all their lives.
Other thing we are considering for our next trip to Rome: bike tour to the countryside and catacombs (look on viator.com for info on bike tour, pompeii day tour and to get other ideas). Florence--Ho-Ho bus that goes to Fiseole, walk around and have dinner there. Or just walk around Florence and have a gelato contest! Pitti Palace, if you aren't going with ABD.
IMHO, Vivia Italia is a fantastic trip! I have been to Italy 5X (DIY-I now have the train schedules memorized) and if you added Pompeii, this would tick all the boxes for me--just the right amount of smaller places like Orvieto and laid back fun included, as well!
Have fun! Elaine
Thanks for the response Elaine! I was considering Pompeii, but the trip seems kind of far to go on the day the ABD begins. We arrive in Rome the day before the ABD begins, but I don't think we'll have time that day for the trip to Pompeii. That's why I was considering Ostia instead. Will have to check time schedules now that I have our flight times, as I would really rather visit Pompeii, and now you have me even more wanting to see it!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
jlou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcat View Post
We did the Viva Italia tour in October 2011 and had two post days in Venice as well. We bought 24 hour Vaporetta tickets and rode the boats everywhere-- Completely around the island and over to Murano a great way to see the city. The trip up and down the Grand Canal was great. Have fun.
Thanks Beachcat! The 24 hour vaporetta tickets sound like the way to go, and a lot of fun! I'm sure my kids would love that.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
ldo
DIS Veteran

You would be pushing it as you really don't have a full day--on your 2nd day, you could do the shuttle from Rome-Pompeii (listed on viator.com). It leaves at 7:30 and the return is 10 hours later--so 5:30 or so. You might miss the welcome dinner--or get to dinner late. The train takes 2 hours, and then the local train (circumvensia--local train--no A/C) takes another 40 minutes--so, the shuttle is really a better option.
Pompeii is truly amazing-but, there are many great things to see around Rome (I get great ideas from viator---even if I decide to just DIY on my own)--and maybe that means you come back another day!
For a more relaxed pace after a long flight, on your 1st day, you could also just get a 24 hr Hop On ticket and ride around that afternoon and the next morning. There are several variations--we took one that was blue (Ciao Roma--or something). Have fun! Take your teens to the World's fanciest McDs---near Spanish Steps--make them get some of the salad bar stuff--nothing you'll ever get at McDs in the US. They also have gelato. Elaine
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
mapsd
Mouseketeer

We thought trying to do Pompeii as a day trip on our first full day in Italy wa too much also, so we're planning to spend a few days in Sorrento prior to our Viva Italia. I;ve read a lot places that suggest Ostia Antiqua as a good compromise when Pompeii doesn't work.

Our plan is to drop most of our bags @ Hotel Bernini Bristol first so we can travel lighter.

JLou,
Since we'll be starting Viva Italia 10 days after you, we hoping you can be our "advance team" and have all the good stuff scouted out for us.

Just be sure to post right away!
mapsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
beachcat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlou View Post
Thanks Beachcat! The 24 hour vaporetta tickets sound like the way to go, and a lot of fun! I'm sure my kids would love that.
Just make sure you get on the right boat and make your way to the stern. The view is the best there and not very crowded.
beachcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
glassslipper2004
DIS Veteran

I'm so envious of your post days in Venice! We loved Viva Italia, especially Venice, and really wished we had more time there. I think a trip to Murano and maybe the other island with the lace (Burano?) would be wonderful.
1980; 1990 - WDW - college graduation; 1993 - WDW - Grand Floridian honeymoon trip; 2003 - WDW - (offsite) first time with our girls - we celebrate DH's birthday; 2004 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge; 2006 - WDW - (offsite) and we again celebrate DH's birthday; 2006 - Disney Wonder 4-night cruise; 2007 - Disney Wonder Cruise and WDW Yacht Club -- fun at Stormalong Bay!; 2008 - Viva Italia ABD; 2009 - Disney Hollywood Studios; 2009 - Southwest Splendors ABD; 2010 - Israel; 2010 - Paris/London; 2011 - Disney Dream, Poly and Beach Club

Upcoming: August 2013 Med cruise
glassslipper2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
jlou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldo View Post
For a more relaxed pace after a long flight, on your 1st day, you could also just get a 24 hr Hop On ticket and ride around that afternoon and the next morning. There are several variations--we took one that was blue (Ciao Roma--or something). Have fun! Take your teens to the World's fanciest McDs---near Spanish Steps--make them get some of the salad bar stuff--nothing you'll ever get at McDs in the US. They also have gelato. Elaine
Hop on hop off sounds great too. Viator is where I got the idea for Ostia Antiqua as an alternative to Pompeii, so may do the hop on hop off on our first day, and then Ostia on the day our tour begins, since it's fairly close. Kids will like the salad bar, my daughter is definitely not a fan of "normal" McD's fare. We'll certainly have lots of gelato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapsd View Post
I;ve read a lot places that suggest Ostia Antiqua as a good compromise when Pompeii doesn't work.

Our plan is to drop most of our bags @ Hotel Bernini Bristol first so we can travel lighter.

JLou,
Since we'll be starting Viva Italia 10 days after you, we hoping you can be our "advance team" and have all the good stuff scouted out for us.

Just be sure to post right away!

I'll do my best Mapsd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassslipper2004 View Post
I'm so envious of your post days in Venice! We loved Viva Italia, especially Venice, and really wished we had more time there. I think a trip to Murano and maybe the other island with the lace (Burano?) would be wonderful.
Glassslipper, I think it was a post of yours which made me want to add time in Venice, so thank you. I was thinking Murano for sure, would love to see the glass blowing.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Not sure what kind of free time you will have in Florence, but if you have an open dinner night you should make the attempt to get a seating at Vini e Vecchi Sapori. It seats maybe 20 people and the food is as good and traditional as any you will find anywhere. You will need to call ahead a few days prior for reservations, but it will be something you will remember always.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
jlou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAN View Post
Not sure what kind of free time you will have in Florence, but if you have an open dinner night you should make the attempt to get a seating at Vini e Vecchi Sapori. It seats maybe 20 people and the food is as good and traditional as any you will find anywhere. You will need to call ahead a few days prior for reservations, but it will be something you will remember always.
We basically have an afternoon in Florence. I'm not sure when the coach leaves Florence to go back to the villa, will have to look into that. I think it would be nice to have some time to have an evening dinner in Florence, and stroll around after dinner before heading back. I'll have to look into this restaurant. Thanks for the tip!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlou View Post
We basically have an afternoon in Florence. I'm not sure when the coach leaves Florence to go back to the villa, will have to look into that. I think it would be nice to have some time to have an evening dinner in Florence, and stroll around after dinner before heading back. I'll have to look into this restaurant. Thanks for the tip!
When we took the Viva Italia trip this past September, we had a choice of two departing times.
The first bus left at 4:00pm - needless to say, this was way to early for any of us, no one left at that time.

The final bus meeting time was 7:00 pm. Not really enough time to have an evening dinner. Most of those in our group picked up paninis, pizza or other goodies and took them back to the villa on the bus. We arrived back at the villa between 8:00 - 8:30.

We got refreshments from the bar and sat outside and had our dinner then.

A few couples made reservations at the restaurant in the town, but we thought that would end up being a very late dinner.

The meeting place for the bus was near an obelisk by the Duomo. We then walked as a group to the bus parking area.

Hope this helps...........

You are going to LOVE this trip - we loved it so much that we're doing it again in May

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
jlou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
When we took the Viva Italia trip this past September, we had a choice of two departing times.
The first bus left at 4:00pm - needless to say, this was way to early for any of us, no one left at that time.

The final bus meeting time was 7:00 pm. Not really enough time to have an evening dinner. Most of those in our group picked up paninis, pizza or other goodies and took them back to the villa on the bus. We arrived back at the villa between 8:00 - 8:30.

We got refreshments from the bar and sat outside and had our dinner then.

A few couples made reservations at the restaurant in the town, but we thought that would end up being a very late dinner.

The meeting place for the bus was near an obelisk by the Duomo. We then walked as a group to the bus parking area.

Hope this helps...........

You are going to LOVE this trip - we loved it so much that we're doing it again in May
hmmm. 7:00 pm sounds early, like you say, to have dinner in Florence. But snacks outside at the villa sounds very, very relaxing, and probably just the right thing in the middle of a very busy week.

So cool that you're doing it again! I'm thinking that I'll want to return to Florence someday (perhaps sans the children!)

Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Yeah ..in my opinion 7PM is too early -Florence is wonderful at night. Perhaps there is a way to arrange a cab back to the Villa? Either way, if during the day ABD offers the opportunity to climb the Duomo -I would suggest doing that. I have slight asthma and I didn't think it was bad at all -when you reach the top you forget the effort you put into it. The views are amazing and knowing that you are walking inside Brunelleschi's creation was inspiring ...read up on him a little, the back story is fascinating. No matter what you do you will have a wonderful time!
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: