Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #16
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
Thanks for any info. Hoping an Official Miami Thread might start soon like the Seattle one. Maybe any locals out there can share some insight?
Thank you. I started the Seattle one and everyone from the area is helping to add to it.

Ironically I am from Miami. My best advice to give you is make sure you go to one of the sandwich shops and get a Cuban Sandwich. They are simple and yet delicious. For me they embody so many good Miami memories.
NWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #17
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

Parking at the port is $20 a day and almost all of Miami has parking fees. There is a hertz very close to port of miami.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #18
NWmom
DIS Veteran

I just set up an official Miami thread modeled on the Seattle one.
I'll combine the info this weekend from them all.
NW
NWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #19
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Hotel Ideas in Miami

For those looking for a hotel idea for Pre/Post Cruise in Miami. Given the satisfaction that we and others have had at the Hyatt MCO, I looked into Hyatt's in Miami. There is a Hyatt Regency, downtown, I believe an earlier poster in this thread mentioned. It is fairly close to the port, likely not more than 10-15 minute cab ride. Also right on the overhead tram line. As at the Hyatt MCO they accept the Hyatt Stay certificates, but, unlike the MCO location, they accept them all the way down to the Classic level, these certificates are only $109 plus shipping. Of course there still needs to be availability on the night in question for that type of certificate, but if there is availability, then this would be quite a deal as rooms in downtown Miami for a nicer hotel are pretty steep, high $200's and up.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

I sailed out of Miami once. I did everything wrong, and it turned out fine. Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss. I flew in the same day, arriving at port just a few hours prior to sail away. I took a shuttle from the airport in Miami, and did not notice bad traffic. Porters were right there to whisk my luggage away, just like PC. I will say they were much pushier to get tips than PC, and they looked a bit "iffy" to me, compared to the nice, clean-cut porters at PC. I remember thinking I hope that was a porter I just gave my luggage to, but, like clock-work, it was in my room when it was supposed to be.
AnotherPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

Used to live in Miami come the day before and enjoy it lots of fun. The Hyatt is very nice but don't get room by the drawbridge as that is what we heard all night long. The Hyatt is also very close to bayside you can walk it in day light. At Bayside lots of ships places to eat . Think downtown Disney type. They also have boats that tours of mansions they also have one that has Miami at night too. All the hotels are downtown are less than 10-15 ride to the pier.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
ptmmg
DIS Veteran

we to are booked next Feb for The wonder 5 day out of Maimi and was wondering why I couldnt find any info on this port glad this thread is here!
ptmmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmmg View Post
we to are booked next Feb for The wonder 5 day out of Maimi and was wondering why I couldnt find any info on this port glad this thread is here!
This is where the official thread will be.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2897908

Thanks NWMom.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

We have taken several cruises out of Miami. It is not our favorite port because it is so much bigger than the others. Our experience is also clouded b the fact that we live in FL so we drive to the port so Miami is the farthest away.

My last trip there was in 2010 and the access was much easier than it had been on our previous trips, dating back to 1992. While some people may have encountered problems we did not so I do not think I would necessarily avoid Miami if there is a cruise you want to take that leaves from there.

It is our last choice because it is so big the other FL ports are easier. But the itinerary I wanted was from Miami so I did it and would not hesitate to do it again. if you hire a taxi or a car service be sure they are familiar navigating the port access and you should be fine.
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #25
Mouse Mom
Mouseketeer

I am also curious about Miami -- on the 12/30/12 New Years Wonder cruise -- which I am psyched about !!!!! I just posted something on cruise meets thread .. hoping there are others out there like me....
Mouse Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #26
Miz Diz
I'll give up anything, as long as it isn't ice cream
And now my head is really spinningHe can't understand why he can't get me that excited.

We just sailed out of Miami in February. We had no issues. No traffic and the port was not busy. In fact, we felt check-in was much less chaotic than Disney in PC. After we checked in, we went into a large room that was filled with seats and sat there until we were told we could board.

I have heard that there are traffic issues at Port of Miami if you are there when certain events are going on. Check your sail date and see what is going on in Miami. The weekend we sailed, there was a boat show. No traffic problems. We stayed downtown and took a taxi to the port, which was $15.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #27
toontoy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse Mom View Post
I am also curious about Miami -- on the 12/30/12 New Years Wonder cruise -- which I am psyched about !!!!! I just posted something on cruise meets thread .. hoping there are others out there like me....
My wife and I are also on this cruise. I didn't see the link. We are excited about it and coming early and staying on South Beach.

Should be a lot warmer than in snowy utah at the time. Anyone know a good beach in Key West?
toontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #28
hardingk
DVC Member since 2007 AKV & BLT

We are also booked to sail on the Wonder next February, sailing out of Miami! We have sailed out of Miami 5 times in the past and it's really nice. If there are a lot of ships in port the day you depart, it can be a little crazy, but it is very well organized! I would definitely fly down the day before. That is what we are planning on doing.
WDW:7/14 BLT, VBR & POP, 8/13 BLT, 7/13 AKVK, 6/3 BWV, 12/12 AKVK, 11/12 BLT, 9/12 AKVJ, 2/12 AKVJ, 12/11 SSR, 11/11 AKV, 10/11 BLT & VWL, 9/11 AKVJ, 3/11 VBR & AKVK, 8/10 AKVK, 7/10 POFQ, 5/10 AKVK, 1/10 AKVJ, 12/09 OKW, 11/09 AKVK, 9/09 BLT, 8/09 POP, 5/09 AKVK, 1/09 AKVJ, 12/08 AKVJ, 11/08 OKW, 04/08 SSR, 9/07 WL, 8/07 CBR, 7/07 SSR & POP, 05/07 POR, 4/07 CSR, 5/05 CSR, 1/03 AS Sports, 7/90 CR, 7/86 POLY, 7/83 CR, 7/79. DLR: 7/11 PPH & VGC, 7/09 GCH, 3/07 DCL: 9/11 Dream, 8/12 Magic, 9/12 Fantasy, 2/13 B2B Wonder, 12/13 Dream
Cast: Me , DH , DD
hardingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #29
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Are most of you planning to fly into Miami or to Fort Lauderdale? It looks cheaper if we fly into Fort Lauderdale, but then we have to figure out how to get around.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #30
breakingd_awn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by westjones View Post
Are most of you planning to fly into Miami or to Fort Lauderdale? It looks cheaper if we fly into Fort Lauderdale, but then we have to figure out how to get around.
Since were flying Southwest ,we'll be flying into Ft. Lauderdale. Then were getting a rental van and driving to the port. We are staying at the Sprinhill Suites the night before. There will be 5 of us with alot of luggage, so I think a van might be the best bet.
2011 "DREAMin" for 5 days
2010 Our first "WONDERful" cruise
Shipmates:MeDH
DD(18)DD(16)
DD(11)DD(5)

breakingd_awn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: