Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
CaLuCa
Earning My Ears

First Timer Questions

I did a search and didn't come up with anything, so I thought I'd ask. I've become obsessed with doing a Disney Cruise and started investigating. We have 3 kids, but surprise baby #4 is on its way. We are looking to do a cruise when the new baby is around 6 months. This means that one child will be 9 or 10, and our twins will be 2 or 3. One of the cruises we are looking at falls on the twins birthday. If they start a cruise at age 2, but have their birthday on the cruise are they charged at the under 3 rate or the more expensive over 3 category? I called DCL and asked but the CM was sort of stumped and stumbled through an answer. She said they would be charged whatever age they were at the beginning of the cruise in one statement and then said they would be charged the age they were during the cruise in another statement. So I left the conversation more confused.

Also, since this new baby now makes us a family of 6, what are our room options? It seems we'd have to get two connecting rooms on the Fantasy or Dream, but the Magic and Wonder have the 2 bedroom suites. I was looking at doing a 7 night out of Miami or Port Canaveral. Advice?

Finally, we are military. Do they do military discounts or just the advertised rooms on the website?

Thanks!
CaLuCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

There are military discounts available, but not all the time.
You pay the price they are when you start the cruise.
In most cases it is less to have 2 connecting rooms than a suite.
You best bet is to go to the DCL website and play around a bit.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

I able to utilize the military rate and yes they are not all of the time. Off season there are often cruises available beginning in September and ending around June. All depends on sales.

If you recieve a MTO discount you will have either very few options. You can get connecting rooms if available. Or you can get an inside and verandah across from each other. You may be able to get one at military rate and not the other. You get the idea. Well worth it if you can get a discount. Got off the boat last Friday and saved $600 each for two parties of two (2). Any other questions let me know.

2014 - 5 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-4:
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 10, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Mommb
Mouseketeer

Welcome to the boards!

When we cruised with our daughter who turned 3 on the second day of the cruise, we paid the "2-year-old" price. This was several years ago, so the policy may have changed, but I don't think it did. This would make a trip that corresponds with your kids' 3rd birthday a good deal, because they will be able to go to the Oceaneer's Club after they turn 3 as long as they are completely potty trained. (They may be able to go to the club even if they are still 2, but that is not guaranteed.)

A two-bedroom suite would be wonderful, but it would also be more expensive than 2 connecting rooms. With 3 young kids, connecting rooms would be better than rooms across the hall from each other, unless you really trust the oldest child to keep an eye on one or two of the younger ones. With two rooms, each room must be booked with an adult in it, but you can have people actually sleep wherever you want. For example, you and your husband would be in one room with the baby while the older child could be on the bed in the other room with the twins in the bunkbeds. DCL will provide bed rails on request. You can prop a connecting door open if you'd like.

Don't hesitate to post if you have any further questions
Mommb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: