Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #31
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!
 
PIRATEGIRL007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 13,771

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsdragon View Post
we went last month, first time staying offsite, so we drove into DHS. Got there at about 0845 and they were waiving everyone straight through the ticket booths. Granted it was the first day of Star Wars Weekends, and BUSY, but I believe this isn't uncommon, at least at DHS and AK at RD time.

To the guy who suggested parking at DTD, don't forget, busses don't start running there until later if OP want's to hit RD, that suggestion is a waste. As Mesa said, it could waste about 3 hours of the day for the person. Especially if they choose a Saratoga Springs bus.
I wasn't going to share this b/c now people will expect it but we had the same thing happen to us, we were at the 2nd SWW. Arrival day (offsite but we have AP's) no one even looked, just waived us thru. After break that day same thing, then the next day same thing. We also had one at MK waive us thru without even glancing at our AP I could have had a MYW ticket holding it up. On Friday 3rd SWW they did glance at the AP though it seems hit or miss. We thought it was odd and wondered if my work car tag hanger had anything to do with it b/c it looks kinda like Disney's car tags from far away but since others experienced it, it wasn't that.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #32
jlevis
Mouseketeer
 
jlevis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4food View Post
So that $60/night hotel offsite will actually cost you $74/night once you add Disney parking. Plus gas. And time. Always worth adding everything together before deciding.
Very true. Everyones milage will vary. We drive so no rental car; we own timeshares so no rental charge, we have AP's so free parking and TIW; it is 15minutes from our timeshare to the parks so no big deal. For us offsite is the only way to go but the cost of parking is a minor consideration.

As another pp said parking at many sporting events or concerts can cost much more that $14 and that $14 is comperable to other theme/amusment parks.
jlevis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #33
mbtohill
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Monroe, CT
Posts: 86

We stay offsite every year and pay to park and rent a car. There are certainly pros and cons either way.

We like the idea of getting some "non-disney" downtime when we are not at the parks. We stay at the Sheraton Vistana Villages which is about 10 minutes from Epcot and HS, and about 15 from MK and a little longer to AK, but if you are staying on site you have to shuttle to the bus to the resort so timing is pretty close to the same. We also like having breakfast at our timeshare, saves us some $$ compared to eating at a resort TS or CS restaurant.

Like I said pros and cons either way.
__________________
[COLOR="Red"]Fort Wilderness 1975
Sheraton Vistana - May '05,'06,'07
Sheraton Vistana Villages - May '08,'09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'14
Beach Club - May '12, May '14
Swan & Dolphin - Oct'11, Oct'12, Oct'14 Food & Wine
Beach Club - Oct '13 Food & Wine
Swan - Dec '13
Next Visit - POR Dec '14

Me 47, DW 43, DD 13, DD 11
mbtohill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #34
jlevis
Mouseketeer
 
jlevis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtohill View Post
We stay offsite every year and pay to park and rent a car. There are certainly pros and cons either way.

We like the idea of getting some "non-disney" downtime when we are not at the parks. We stay at the Sheraton Vistana Villages which is about 10 minutes from Epcot and HS, and about 15 from MK and a little longer to AK, but if you are staying on site you have to shuttle to the bus to the resort so timing is pretty close to the same. We also like having breakfast at our timeshare, saves us some $$ compared to eating at a resort TS or CS restaurant.

Like I said pros and cons either way.
Sounds like us. We're at Marriott's Grande Vista next door to you. We're not rope drop people so we linger and have breakfast. We grill often (guys rule the grill so my wife doesn't have to cook) for dinner.

Back to the topic at hand.
jlevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #35
ajpa
DIS Veteran
 
ajpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
If you want advise on both staying onsite and offsite, make a post in both the Resorts board and the Orlando board. You will get different opinions from each board.
So true!!!!
And they are both right! It really depends on what suits your family.
__________________
dh me dd15 dd10
2012 Jun - Beach Club
2009 Dec - Coronado Springs & Royal Pacific
2007 Jan - Port Orleans French Quarter
2003 Oct - All Star Music
ajpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #36
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 31,253

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpa View Post
So true!!!!
And they are both right! It really depends on what suits your family.


I think a lot of people on the Resorts Board have a knee jerk reaction that onsite is the ONLY way to go. I always find it frustrating when someone only posts to the Resorts Board asking if they should stay onsite or offsite and the answer is usually about 99% "onsite" (and usually "onsite Deluxe", but that's another pet peeve ). Obviously as a DVC Owner, I enjoy staying "onsite Deluxe" myself. However, I have stayed offsite plenty of times and I don't always recommend onsite depending on the information the OP gives. I don't find the same knee jerk reaction on the Orlando Board that offsite of the ONLY way to go, but posting to both boards gives a more balanced recommendation.

I personally think that the OP is going about their decision in the right way. They are comparing additional expenses offsite to benefits onsite. Staying offsite requires a car (rental expense for most) and parking at the parks and some resorts even sneak in an additional "resort fee". An offsite resort that appears to be a bargain at first blush may end up costing a family an additional $$ like poor njgeneral who ended up paying an additional $46 per day . For the $185 per night that they ended up paying at the Wyndham Grand Orlando I would have much preferred staying onsite!
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #37
shalom
DIS Veteran
 
shalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
If you want advise on both staying onsite and offsite, make a post in both the Resorts board and the Orlando board. You will get different opinions from each board.


Plus the posters on the Orlando board can usually tell you about additional charges, like resort fees or hotel parking, so you can compare total cost to total cost. I don't think parking or resort fees are that common (I've never paid one), but it doesn't matter how common they are if you have to pay one and didn't know ahead of time! Usually the people on the Orlando board can recommend specific resorts according to your needs, or give you an idea how close a resort is to the various parks or whatever. If the Dis board is a primary resource (and why wouldn't it be? ), I think you really need to check both of them for an informed comparison.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #38
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo
 
DCTooTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post


I think a lot of people on the Resorts Board have a knee jerk reaction that onsite is the ONLY way to go. I always find it frustrating when someone only posts to the Resorts Board asking if they should stay onsite or offsite and the answer is usually about 99% "onsite" (and usually "onsite Deluxe", but that's another pet peeve ). Obviously as a DVC Owner, I enjoy staying "onsite Deluxe" myself. However, I have stayed offsite plenty of times and I don't always recommend onsite depending on the information the OP gives. I don't find the same knee jerk reaction on the Orlando Board that offsite of the ONLY way to go, but posting to both boards gives a more balanced recommendation.

I personally think that the OP is going about their decision in the right way. They are comparing additional expenses offsite to benefits onsite. Staying offsite requires a car (rental expense for most) and parking at the parks and some resorts even sneak in an additional "resort fee". An offsite resort that appears to be a bargain at first blush may end up costing a family an additional $$ like poor njgeneral who ended up paying an additional $46 per day . For the $185 per night that they ended up paying at the Wyndham Grand Orlando I would have much preferred staying onsite!

To be honest, I've noticed the same thing on the main "Disney" groups vs. the "Universal" board when people ask about anything Disney, Universal, or even Harry Potter related. I've just written it off to a larger number of Disney fans being the "die-hard/knee-jerk reaction" types when comparing anything Disney to anything not-Disney. I'm still not quite sure if it's just a very vocal Disney-does-no-harm crowd on this Disney-focused forum.... or maybe if it's due to the "outside-The-Disney-Borders" group on this Disney forum are people who are still big Disney Fans who also enjoy non-Disney things, and the attitudes are exactly the opposite on sites which focus on those non-disney places w/ a Disney sub-group.


And as for the Wyndham Grand thing.... I know personally I would've suggested canceling the Wyndham Grand reservation, and making one (via a renter) for the Wyndham Bonnet Creek timeshare resort. Cheaper nightly rate for a larger unit, and no hidden "resort fees" or "parking fees"....and it's located literally next door with complete access to all the same amenities.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #39
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise
 
disney1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,064

Come to Washington DC and go to a Washington Nationals game. Parking is $41.88.
__________________
Life is a Journey – remember to appreciate everyday -- be happy for this moment...this moment is your life



disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #40
deegack
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Actually the praking costs are in line and you would find it is about the same al over the USA......think of your last ballgame parking!

How many park is not the issue.

AKK
Yup universal is $15, legoland around 14, Hershey park $15, great adventure nj $20
deegack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #41
goofyernmost
DIS Veteran
 
goofyernmost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 6,196

Smile

I have had this conversation so many times the my brain is starting to bleed.

So, all I will say is if you compare apples to apples, you will be hard pressed not to save a considerable amount of money staying off site even when you factor in parking and car rental (if needed). If you have your own car with you the savings are huge. Just dining alone is a considerable savings (again, even if you factor in the so called (Free Dining). Not as much, but still there, for Values and as you upgrade the gap becomes larger and larger.

It boils down to what one prefers to do and what they feel they want their experience to be like. You like staying on-site, you will find an argument and approach that will make it seem like such a deal. If you have no problem with staying off-site...then that's how the math will work.

Do research. On line hotel searches will tell you everything including if the place you want to stay charges for parking even though you are paying those thieves to stay in their rooms. Most of the hotels do not charge such a foolish charge. There is actually more competition off-site then on Disney itself. Competition means that they will be trying harder for your money. If there is one thing that the area immediately surrounding WDW has, is a huge number of available rooms that they want to rent out. Look and ye shall find.

Simple fact...If you go to one of the four Disney parks for 10 days the cost for parking will be $140.00 for those 10 days. At first it seems like a lot of money until you start seriously comparing rates. After that...paying the parking fee at Disney seems like a good deal.
__________________
Older mans body, young childs spirit!!

Nothing adult has ever happened to me at Disney!
goofyernmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #42
Illinistifler
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Celebration, FL
Posts: 106

I knew of people who used to park at Fort Wilderness by the kennel and go and jump on the direct buses to the parks
Illinistifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #43
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot
 
Cyrano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 6,800Km from our happy place
Posts: 31,745
DISboards Moderator

Folks please stick to the discussion on parking which is $14.

Discussion about accommodation should be posted on Resorts or Orlando boards as previous stated by a poster
__________________
Reid

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #44
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
North of Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinistifler View Post
I knew of people who used to park at Fort Wilderness by the kennel and go and jump on the direct buses to the parks
You can no longer get in the lot there without going through the main gate as a registered camper or reservation according to the "gate keeper".
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #45
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo
 
DCTooTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyernmost View Post
Simple fact...If you go to one of the four Disney parks for 10 days the cost for parking will be $140.00 for those 10 days. At first it seems like a lot of money until you start seriously comparing rates. After that...paying the parking fee at Disney seems like a good deal.
In keeping with the Mod's wishes I'll limit my comments to the parking related factors here.


In MANY cases, you may even find that if you do decide to stay offsite for a prolonged period (10 days), It may also end up making the AP much more cost effective for you. When staying onsite, the value/break even point is such that you just need to look at your ticket length + options for your expected stay(s) cost vs. the cost of the AP.

When you stay offsite, Your math changes slightly in that you can add in the $14 per day parking, which is included with your AP, to the ticket length + options equation. For example, a 10 day park hopper pass now costs $375. Add the $140 for parking each day and you end up with $515. That would mean that an AP which includes hopping and the free parking, is only $59 MORE than the MYW ticket at the current pricing. If you then factor in the AP discounts, and if you think you might enjoy other trips, it makes it a lot easier to justify that AP cost.

(And prior to the recent price increases, the AP was actually cheaper than a 10 day hopper + parking)
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
parking, prices



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.