Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

for being in double digits!!

Great idea to try some "hidden gems"! We are hoping to try mini-golf as well. I'm not sure we will be able to fit it in this trip but hopefully. I've also heard great things about the pick a pearl in Japan. Have you thought about a setting? I know some people on the boards order some cute Cinderella carriage pearl cages on ebay. They are really pretty and affordable.

Angies1274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
andapanda
Mouseketeer

I've seen the Cinderella carriage setting, but I'm not sure how big of a pearl they hold. I'll have to look into it - they are very pretty.

I have our first day planned to go into the water park and then we'll do mini-golf. I know we won't be at the water park the whole day - and then that way my 7 day pass won't start until the next day, and I'll be able to go into the parks for the whole day on the day we leave. (Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach don't take a day out of my pass, they just take a day off the water park and more option...right?)

Also...PhotoPass+...I'm kind of interested in upgrading, since I already pre-paid for the regular PhotoPass CD. Thoughts on this? If I understand it right, we don't have to pay for the photo packages at the character restaurants to get them added to PhotoPass+. If that's true, then it would really benefit us since we have several character meals.
andapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
andapanda
Mouseketeer

Things We'll Miss Out On

Snow White's Scary Adventure is closing at the end of May. I didn't get the ride it on my first trip, and I obviously won't get the chance this time. I'm kind of sad that this ride will be gone forever. I've watched videos on Youtube of it, and although it looks cheesy, I still would have liked to ride it.

Test Track will be closed for refurbishment during our stay. This really disappoints me. The first time I was at Disney, I had a FastPass for Test Track. It broke down and was down the rest of the day - and that was my only day at Epcot.

Cape May Cafe was one of our original plans for dining, but it will be closed for refurbishment starting July 9th. I wasn't able to make a reservation for our first two days.

Dining Changes

July 11th - Hollywood & Vine changed to Mama Melrose for dinner. Yay!

Decisions, Decisions...

We can't decide on Winter Summerland or Fantasia Gardens for mini golf. Depending on what how long it takes, we may try to fit both in. J and I both love mini golf (and we can get very competitive with each other, which makes a lot of fun - we like to joke around and harass each other).

We've decided to go with Typhoon Lagoon for July 7th, and Blizzard Beach on July 12th. Even though we have a 1:50 lunch ADR on this day, Blizzard Beach as AM EMH, so that will give us an extra hour. I'm hoping if we get there first thing in the morning, we'll be able to do most of what we want to. J and I like water parks, but aren't the type to spend the whole day swimming. We'll ride the slides we want to, take a trip in the lazy river, maybe swim for a little bit, and then we'll be sick of the water.

We're taking an IllumiNations Fireworks Cruise on July 14th. I think this will be the perfect end to our time at Disney. Also, we've decided to park hop on this day. We'll go and ride our favorite rides, and try a few quick service places.

We've also filled in some of the gaps in our plan - I'm nothing if not a planner. This is mostly for transportation purposes, as we've decided to mainly drive our own car since we have 3 ADRs on most days. I'm going to try to do a more in-depth day by day plan soon.

Last edited by andapanda; 04-08-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #19
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Aw, that is a bummer you're going to miss SWSA and TT

But, it sounds like you have lots of fun things planned! The fireworks cruise would be a great way to cap off your vacation!

I think I mentioned this (?) but we haven't done either water park... nor have we done the mini-golf. Maybe we'll get to those on the next family trip! My oldest DD has been to a local water park (her first and only time, she went with a friend) and she LOVED it. And we all like to play mini-golf (I can get a bit competitive with my DH, too!)
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
PixieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
andapanda
Mouseketeer

I had started a countdown when we were oh....300 days out. However, the school year started and it got put aside. I had a really elaborate idea that was just too time consuming to do for 300 days. This past weekend, I decided to revamp the countdown for our last 75 days (WOOHOO, ONLY 75 DAYS!!)

I should add, that picture was taken with a Nikon Coolpix S3100. I got it on clearance (I think at Walmart), and I like it because it's so slim. We'll be taking that camera in addition to our DSLR (We don't plan on having the DSLR with us all the time). I don't really have the hang of it yet, so I better start practicing.

We have switched a few restaurants around the past few days, once my husband learned of The Garden Grill (and the fact that it has Chip and Dale, high on the top of his list of characters to meet), and wanted to find a way to fit it in. So, I swapped out The Captain's Grille for the Garden Grill, and moved The Captain's Grille to July 14th, I think at 6:00, so we'll already be at the Yacht Club for the fireworks cruise.

Last edited by andapanda; 04-26-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #21
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

That countdown chart is so cute. I have considering doing some sort of countdown, but know we will forget all the time. Even with Advent Calendars containing chocolate, we forget for a couple days!
pharmjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Love your countdown chart!! It's so cute!!

Angies1274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Love the countdown calendar!
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
PixieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #24
andapanda
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
That countdown chart is so cute. I have considering doing some sort of countdown, but know we will forget all the time. Even with Advent Calendars containing chocolate, we forget for a couple days!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Love your countdown chart!! It's so cute!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post
Love the countdown calendar!
Thank you all! If I hadn't started a countdown so long ago, I might not have done one at all...however, my slight OCD tendencies dictated that I finish the countdown at some point.

I used one of the Winnie the Pooh Cricut cartridges for the honey pots and lids, and the Winnie the Pooh characters were actually coloring pages I found online, and adjusted the sizes to suit my needs. I was really pleased with how it turned out. I should add, I haven't actually crossed off any of the days, because I can't bear (no pun intended) to blemish the countdown in anyway. I guess if it stays safe, I'll put it away for the next trip (hehehe).
Old 04-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #25
andapanda
Mouseketeer

Arrival/Day 1 - July 6th and 7th

We will actually be arriving on Florida on July 6th, but couldn't justify spending the money on a Disney room when we would be arriving late, wouldn't need the dining plan, and weren't planning on entering the park. Our initial plan was to drive all day on the 6th, arriving on the morning of the 7th, but we quickly realized we'd be wasting the 7th if we did that since we'd be too tired to do much. So, the plan is to leave early morning of the 6th and arrive sometime in the evening. We have one night at a decent off-site hotel booked, at a VERY reasonable price (Thank you Priceline!)

On the 6th, our plan is to arrive sometime around 5 or 6pm, after visiting with some friends in Jacksonville (pending - if not, everything will be ahead by a few hours). We will then visit Downtown Disney to upgrade our PhotoPass to PhotoPass+ - we have so many character meals that we would buy packages for that it only makes sense for us. I'm thinking we'll grab a counter service meal, possibly at Wolfgang Puck Express. We won't be doing much (if any) shopping that night since we'll be visiting Downtown Disney the next night. We may try to do Characters in Flight, if the weather is right. I figure by that time, we'll be ready to relax and possibly hit up the pool at our overnight hotel.

July 7th is our five year anniversary. On the morning of the 7th, we're going to leave our overnight hotel between 6 and 6:30am, and plan to be at Port Orleans French Quarter around 7am. I'm very doubtful that we'll be able to take our luggage to our room at that time, but you never know. I will be doing the online check-in so hopefully that increases our chances. After we get checked in and figure out the luggage situation (if we can't go to our room, I'm hoping they'll store our luggage - I refuse to leave it in the car), we'll head to Typhoon Lagoon. We would like to be at Typhoon Lagoon when it opens at 9am. We have a late lunch reservation at The Turf Club Bar and Grill (Saratoga Springs) at 3:30. After our lunch, we are hoping to play mini golf. We haven't decided yet on if we'll play Winter Summerland or Fantasia Gardens. We are big mini golf fans, we we may try to get in a round at each at some point. We'll return to our resort and head on over to Port Orleans Riverside for a carriage ride at 6:00pm. After the carriage ride, we're going to take the boat to Downtown Disney and have an 8:30 dinner at Fulton's Crab House. If we have time (and energy) after dinner, we're going to check out Disney Quest. And after all of that, we're going to head back to the resort and get a good night's sleep for our very exciting Day 2.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #26
onescgirl
DIS Veteran

That is a early 1st day!
I think your driving down plans sound great.
We like to drive down the day before & stay at a cheaper hotel outside of WDW the night before our WDW vacation starts.
When you eat at Garden Grill, make sure you request to eat on the lower level.
I'm pretty bummed about missing Test Track too. It's one of our favorites!

2012 PTR In Progress: 2012 PTR ~ Skipping Skool for Free Dining!
Trip Report: Sept 2010 TR ~ ♥ Vacay with the Lovebugs ♥ ~ 2010 PTR: 2010 PTR ~ 'The Non-Catchy Title PTR'

onescgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #27
andapanda
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by onescgirl View Post
That is a early 1st day!
I think your driving down plans sound great.
We like to drive down the day before & stay at a cheaper hotel outside of WDW the night before our WDW vacation starts.
When you eat at Garden Grill, make sure you request to eat on the lower level.
I'm pretty bummed about missing Test Track too. It's one of our favorites!
It's a very early day, but if I know myself, I'll be laying awake early in the morning with excitement, so I might as well head to Disney! I made a note of requesting the lower level with the Garden Grill on my itinerary, thank you!

I suppose Test Track being closed (and the Fantasyland expansion) just gives me a better excuse to plan another trip
Old 05-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #28
andapanda
Mouseketeer

Day 2 – July 8th

Day 2 starts a very magical day for me…I mean us. We will be visiting the Magic Kingdom on the 8th. Now, from my first trip, I don’t even remember seeing the castle. I don’t know, maybe we came in a back entrance because we were in the parade that day? Anyway, our day starts off with an 8:05 reservation at The Crystal Palace. I would like to get most of our thrill rides done in the morning, as I’ll have my contacts in and due to my allergies, I may not be able to wear them the whole day. We’re planning on renting a locker and keeping my glasses and contact case/saline (amongst other things) just in case. And chances are, I’ll need to switch over to my glasses at some point because we plan on being at the Magic Kingdom the WHOLE day…including the EMH until 1am (we're both open to leaving if we get too tired though). I know that J has an interest in Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, so we’ll probably attempt to play it. We have a 1pm lunch reservation at Liberty Tree Tavern. Annd…we have 9pm reservations for the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party! We’re planning on getting either a quick service dinner (or using some snack credits) if we’re hungry between lunch and the dessert party. I’m also hoping that they add a second time for the Main Street Electrical Parade. This is one of my few memories from my first trip, and I LOVED it. We’ll be in the dessert party for the 9pm parade – kind of disappointing, but I know I’ll see it at some point on our trip, and it’s worth it to get into the dessert party (and not fight the crowds to see the fireworks).

My top five rides/attractions:
1. Mad Tea Party
2. Dumbo
3. Haunted Mansion
4. Jungle Cruise
5. Splash Mountain

J’s top five rides/attractions:
1. Mad Tea Party (he likes to watch me laugh like an idiot on these kinds of rides – I love to spin in circles)
2. Dumbo
3. Hall of Presidents
4. Carousel of Progress
5. Space Mountain

Ultimately, I’m pretty sure we want to ride everything we can, and see all the shows we can get in. When I asked J to pick his top five rides/attractions, he said all of them. My first time, all I wanted to ride was Mad Tea Party, and for some reason, we were never able to get on it. We’re using Lines for ride times and a touring plan. Our plan right now is to stay as late as we can handle – it’s one of the perks to going without kids (although I hope our next trip will include a little one or two), and then head back to the resort and get a little bit of sleep before Day 3.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #29
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Joining in! I love your countdown calendar! It is so stinking cute!

creativeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #30
andapanda
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
Joining in! I love your countdown calendar! It is so stinking cute!
Thank you so much!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: