Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Rapunzel
Mouseketeer

Type 1 Diabetes & the World - July 2-9th ~ Bags pg 3

Hi!

Let me get to some intro's before I get to the fun stuff!

Me, a 30yr old (will be turning 31 on our trip) mommy to 2 wonderful kids. Lauren (7) was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes on 7/8/2010 just a day after my 29th birthday. If you want more info on how we found out she had it, PM me I'll link you to her website. She loves just about anything Disney. She is in her second level of Gymnastics, loves life and is beyond an amazing little girl. Nothing stops this kid.

My son Parker (10) was nicknamed "Captain P-man" by my brother when he was born. He's in 4th grade and an great kid. Loves baseball and Legos. He and my husband will not be attending this trip.

In Oct 2007 we went to DW for a week with my mom, brother and sister in law. In May of 2009 we went just the 4 of us and Parker celebrated his 7th birthday while we were there.

Now when Lauren was diagnosed (almost 2 years ago) I set out to find any way I can possibly help find a cure. We did our first Walk for a Cure in October 2010. Last year we raised over $1300 for "Team Lauren", all went to the ADA! I found out about a website called "Children with Diabetes" and have used that site for a lot of information. I saw that every year they have a Convention in Orlando. What better way to do something proactive...and hopefully get to Disney at the same time!

So I've done a little bit of research, found a couple of good deals and found I had a pin code attached to my name.

Details:

July 2nd - Arrive ~ Plane should land at 9am (Hollywood Studios?) ~ POP
July 3rd - Rope Drop at MK ~ POP
July 4th - CWD Conference Starts ~ Check in at Marriott World Center
July 5th - Conference
July 6th - Conference
July 7th - Conference & Tea @ Grand Floridian (it's also MY BIRTHDAY!!!!)
July 8th - Conference Ends ~ Can't decide if we'll stay at the Marriott for another night or transfer back to a Disney Property, probably will so we can use the Magical Express back to the airport.
July 9th - Animal Kingdom? ~ Plane leaves MCO @ 8:55pm

While we're down in Florida, I will get to see my biological Aunt for the second time. First time was 12 years ago. I was adopted when I was 11 days old. When I was 18 I found my biological mother. She was 17 when she had me (and sadly she passed away last August). I then found my bio-father. His sister and family all live within minutes of Disney. I flew down when I was 19 and met the whole family. We lost touch but found each other on facebook a few years back and chit chat now and again. I'm so very excited for Lauren to meet "extended family" and it's fun trying to explain who everyone is to her. I feel so blessed to have 2 families who love us!
2012 ~ PoP

Type 1 Diabetes & the World: A July Trip Report!
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2960454

Last edited by Rapunzel; 06-01-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Rapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Rapunzel
Mouseketeer

I'm most scared of the whole being away from Laurens doctors, and the possibility of her pump not working. I've already gotten refills of Lantus (a long acting insulin that she used to take before the pump - just in case) and refills of her normal Humalog insulin. I've set aside triples of anything she may need pump or non pump related. As soon as school is out, I'll have 2 extra meters to bring with as well.

I suppose the one good thing is that when we're at the Conference we'll be among hundreds of kids with the same possibilities. This is our first time traveling outside a 70ish mile radius since her being diagnosed.

I'm still incredibly excited and if I knew it wasn't going to be hot around here before July I'd probably start packing already! :P
2012 ~ PoP

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
andapanda
Mouseketeer

Following. Your little ones are adorable. : Our stays overlap (even though you'll be at the conference for most of the time)
andapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
MK2010
Mouseketeer

Wow! My daughter's name is Lauren too! She is 10 and was diagnosed this past Dec. with Type I diabetes also! We're going in September for 12 days. I'm a little nervous too about being so far away, but we haven't had any problems since she was diagnosed. (Knock on wood!)I'm definitely stocking up on everything. I can't wait to see how your trip goes. We don't have a pump, yet. I'm waiting a bit longer.Technically, I think she has to have stable blood sugars for a year before her Dr. will consider her for a pump. I can't wait to read your PTR and I'm sure you'll be doing a TR riiiiiight?
ASMu 2009
MK2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
jmkrat
DIS Veteran

I don't have a child with diabetes, but I am a Type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed when I was 8. I just want to try and give parents some hope, so much is thrown at you and it is scary. I was able to do everything my friends did including have 2 healthy kids. I have now had diabetes for 44 years. I am wearing a pump ( never have had a problem at the world) and am in fairly good shape for the length that I have had the the disease. Make sure that you bring plenty of ( I use juice boxes, so easy ) items to combat low blood sugar. The only problem I do have is with low blood sugar, but it is all easy to fix. The heat also tends to lower blood sugar, at least for me. Good luck, like I said I just want to give parents hope that the kids do have a bright future with the disease.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Rapunzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andapanda View Post
Following. Your little ones are adorable. : Our stays overlap (even though you'll be at the conference for most of the time)
Thank you! I'm biased but I think they're cute too! :P It seems like the conference ends around 6ish each day so I'm sure there will be times when were out and about afterwards...I know Lauren will want to swim A LOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2010
Wow! My daughter's name is Lauren too! She is 10 and was diagnosed this past Dec. with Type I diabetes also! We're going in September for 12 days. I'm a little nervous too about being so far away, but we haven't had any problems since she was diagnosed. (Knock on wood!)I'm definitely stocking up on everything. I can't wait to see how your trip goes. We don't have a pump, yet. I'm waiting a bit longer.Technically, I think she has to have stable blood sugars for a year before her Dr. will consider her for a pump. I can't wait to read your PTR and I'm sure you'll be doing a TR riiiiiight?
Yesterday 03:09 PM
I'm certainly going to try to do a TR! She was diagnosed in July and by November we had the pump and December of that same year she was pumping. It's SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier (I think anyways), so far we both love it, it's easy and eliminated the need for 4+ shots a day (which is always a plus in my Lauren's book!) There have been times when she goes uber high and we've had to give a shot here and there but nothing extreme (knock on wood, too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkrat
I don't have a child with diabetes, but I am a Type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed when I was 8. I just want to try and give parents some hope, so much is thrown at you and it is scary. I was able to do everything my friends did including have 2 healthy kids. I have now had diabetes for 44 years. I am wearing a pump ( never have had a problem at the world) and am in fairly good shape for the length that I have had the the disease. Make sure that you bring plenty of ( I use juice boxes, so easy ) items to combat low blood sugar. The only problem I do have is with low blood sugar, but it is all easy to fix. The heat also tends to lower blood sugar, at least for me. Good luck, like I said I just want to give parents hope that the kids do have a bright future with the disease.
Thank you! Sometimes I need to be reminded that even though it can be VERY scary for her and myself at times, that she still really is a normal kid. I know to disconnect her if she'll be swimming (she drops at an insane rate in the pool) and I disconnect her for gymnastics and she tends to fall for that too. What pump do you use? What about disconnecting for rides like Tower of Terror or Rockin' Rollercoaster?
2012 ~ PoP

Old 05-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
jmkrat
DIS Veteran

I have the mini-med paradigm. I liked it because I could buy the sensors to help read my blood sugar. I stopped using the sensor part for a few reasons. I just test my blood. I have never disconnected for any ride. I have never gone on the TOT ( I am a big chicken ). I just make sure I have it out of harms way ( not being crushed or knocked around). I bring a quart size ziploc bag for water rides. If you are unsure, I would just disconnect briefly ( length of ride ) as long as you could put in in a safe place. Don't leave it with a cast member. I have not had a problem ever with mine. I put mine in my pocket sometimes too. Some pump companies offer free loaners for vacation, if you have time I would call and ask about that. This way you do not have to worry about anything happening to your little girls. Hang in there, treatment for diabetes has gotten sooo much better from when I was diagnosed. It's just a matter of time before a cure is found. Until then, with a little guidance, she can live a wonderful and fulfilling life.

I have seen a few cases for pumps too, you may want to check out accessories for the pump.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Rapunzel
Mouseketeer

Thankfully her pump is waterproof and can wear it swimming for up to 12 hours or something ridiculous. I used to keep it on her during swim lessons until she started going dangerously low and not telling me because she was having too much fun. Now I check her before she gets in, and any insulin she may need (say 1 unit) I'll give her half; disconnect and let her on her merry way.

My husband said that the show "The Doctors" at like 5pm CST (I think) were going to be talking about some new break-through today. Not sure what channel and of course he's at work but I think he set it to DVR so I'll see if I can find that info!
2012 ~ PoP

Old 05-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Rapunzel
Mouseketeer

I'm now brainstorming a character meal for Lauren and I. Thinking maybe Chef Mickey's on one of the nights of the conference. This means we'll probably have to take a cab from the Marriott to the Contemporary. But if we do this early enough then we may be able to spend a few more hours at Magic Kingdom (which means I'll need to add another day to our tickets).

What Character meals are your favorites? It will probably have to be a late afternoon/evening meal.

The ones we've done in the past:
Crystal Palace - 2007

1900 Park Fare- 2007

Chef Mickey's - 2007 (Lauren slept almost the entire meal)

2012 ~ PoP

Old 05-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Rapunzel
Mouseketeer

Just sharing some old pics!
That year Parker found the paint brush on Tom Sawyers Island:

He got his hair "did":

MMMMM The Coral Reef!

I'm SOOOO excited to see this in person again!

2012 ~ PoP

Old 05-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
jmkrat
DIS Veteran

Your kid's are adorable . I miss that age mine are 21 and 24 now. They are still excited about going to Disney though .
Old 05-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Rapunzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkrat View Post
Your kid's are adorable . I miss that age mine are 21 and 24 now. They are still excited about going to Disney though .
I miss mine being that young too! :P

Where in IL are you? We're in the SW Suburbs nearish to plainfield/joliet.
2012 ~ PoP

Old 05-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
jmkrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
I miss mine being that young too! :P

Where in IL are you? We're in the SW Suburbs nearish to plainfield/joliet.
I live in Northern Il. Crystal Lake to be exact. We are actually unincorporated, and live about 45 minutes from the Wisconsin Border.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
Rapunzel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkrat View Post
I live in Northern Il. Crystal Lake to be exact. We are actually unincorporated, and live about 45 minutes from the Wisconsin Border.
I went to Jacobs High School in Algonquin! My mom lives in Lake in the Hills!
2012 ~ PoP

Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
jmkrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
I went to Jacobs High School in Algonquin! My mom lives in Lake in the Hills!
I went to Jacobs too! I more than likely graduated long before you. I was the first graduating class of Jacobs Small world after all! Sorry couldn't help myself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: