Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Lidian
DIS Veteran

March 2012: The Year I Almost Survived Spring Break

Glad you popped in for a peek. This has taken me longer to get up than I planned, however, better late than never, right?

Our family survived Spring Break (mostly). We stayed at CBR March 3rd through the 9th. We drove down from Knoxville, TN (well, Knoxville area, anyway). It was a very ... different experience for us this year, compared to years past.

Previous trips have been called:
The Year of the Evil Sun (2009)
The Year We Did It All (2010)
The Year of the Surprises (2011)

Other potential TR names:
Year of the Characters
Year of the "If I see one more buffet I will scream" whines
The Year I Should Have Stayed Home
The Year I Didn't Plan My Next Trip Back

But those are kinda depressing titles, and this really isn't a depressing TR. Sure, it has its ups and downs, but overall, we had a great vacation. It was very unique, as it was full of surprises (good and bad).

Anyway, let's get this party started!

May 2011 3rd Visit Surprise! (PTR) ~*~*~ May 2011: Year of the Surprises! (TR)
March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)

Last edited by Lidian; 03-19-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Lidian
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents

Table of Contents

Introductions:
About Us

March 2, 2012:
Travel Day

March 3, 2012:
Arrival Day (Part 1)
LUNCH: Wolfgang Puck Express
Arrival Day (Part 2)
DINNER: Chef Mickey's
Arrival Day (Part 3)

March 4, 2012:
Breakfast and Introduction to our day
Islands of Adventure (Part 2)
Islands of Adventure (Part 3)
Islands of Adventure (Part 4)
Islands of Adventure (Part 5)
Islands of Adventure (Part 6)
Islands of Adventure (Part 7)
LUNCH: Blondie's (IoA Part 8)
Islands of Adventure (Part 9)
Islands of Adventure (Part 10)
Islands of Adventure (Part 11)
DINNER: Kouzzina & the evening

March 5, 2012:
Animal Kingdom (Part 1)
Animal Kingdom (Part 2)
LUNCH: Tusker House
Animal Kingdom (Part 3)
Animal Kingdom (Part 4)
DINNER: 1900 Park Fare
Animal Kingdom PhotoPass Pictures

March 6, 2012:
Magic Kingdom (Part 1) LUNCH: Columbia Harbor House
Magic Kingdom (Part 2)
Magic Kingdom (Part 3)
DINNER: Crystal Palace
Magic Kingdom PhotoPass Pictures

March 7, 2012:
BREAKFAST: Hollywood & Vine
Jedi Training Academy: Part 1
Jedi Training Academy: Part 2
HollyWood Studios (Part 4)
LUNCH: Pizza Planet (DHS Part 5)
HollyWood Studios (Part 6)
HollyWood Studios (Part 7)
DINNER: 50s Prime Time Cafe (and Part 8)
Jedi Training Academy PhotoPass Pictures of DS
Jedi Training Academy PhotoPass Pictures of DD
HollyWood Studios PhotoPass Pictures

March 8, 2012:
EPCOT (Part 1)
EPCOT (Part 2)
LUNCH: Katsura Grill (Part 3)
EPCOT (Part 4)
DINNER: Akershus Storybook Dining (Part 5)
EPCOT (Part 6)
EPCOT PhotoPass Pictures

March 9, 2012:
Departure Day

March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)

Last edited by Lidian; 07-02-2012 at 04:22 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Am I first???? Whoot!!!! Glad to see you've started!

D~
Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Lidian
DIS Veteran

About Us:

This was our fourth trip. As can be seen by my signature, our first trip was in 2009 and I've insisted on an annual return. I have learned so much valuable information here on the DIS, it has really eased our planning for our stay. Each year, DH swears we are never going back. Each year, I bat my lashes and he gives in. The previous years, the kids have known about our trip, except for last year. We surprised them May 2011. It was so hard not having my wonderful planners helping me! It was a ton of fun surprising them, but I didn't have anyone to talk Disney with outside of the DIS. I thought I was going to go insane! (For the details, please see my TR -- link in my signature.)

About Lidian

Lidian is not my real name, it is a nickname I've had for many years (long story, not relevant). I'm currently a 33 year old stay-home college mom.

Wait, did you just say stay-home college mom?

Yes. Yes, I did. I've stayed home with the kids for the past 3-4 years. This past Fall, I started college classes. I am a full time college student. My youngest started Kindergarten this year, so I thought I'd return to work ... only to be met with no jobs available. I was over-qualified for simple jobs; and under-qualified for the rest. Most employers wanted some sort of degree. So here I am, fulfilling my dream of becoming an Accountant. Yep. I'm a nerd. I love Accounting. (Plus, I'm great at it!) I've not decided which branch of Accounting I want to fall into ... but Auditing sounds right up my street!

Again on the nerd side, I love video games. I play World of Warcraft (WoW) and Sims 3 mostly. I also love watching anime and reading manga.

My favorite Disney park is probably DHS. I have too many favorite attractions to try to list them all. While I'm not a huge Star Wars buff (I've seen them and enjoyed them), I do love Star Tours and was very excited to ride the updated version this past May. I cry during parades and fireworks (I try to stifle it, because my body wants to openly weep during them). I'm a sap for all things Disney. I struggle to breathe if I try to think about not going back each year. Yep, I'm that addicted. If I had a Ladies Trip, I'd still stand in line to see Mickey and other characters. I don't care who gawks at me, I'd do it and be proud! As I tell my friends, I go to WDW every year and I'm nice enough to bring the rest of my family.

About DH

DH is 30 and he despises WDW. I know, he's not human. He loves the food down there, so he focuses more on dining than anything else. He does have some favorite attractions (Star Tours, Muppets 3D, Indiana Jones, etc), so its not all bad for him. He's a nerd, too. He loves video games (moreso than me). His favorite parks would have to be Epcot or DHS. He tolerates them the best. He's the smartest person I know (has a high IQ, I'm sure). He loves to rattle off random bits of information no one knows about. He loves Epcot for the World Showcase. Hmm ... I'd guess his favorite countries to visit would be France or Italy, perhaps Norway. He does insist on riding the Norway ride, and we spend a lot of time in the gift shop. He can speak Turtle (see my May TR for details) and he's a wuss when it comes to rides. If it has a height requirement, there's not much luck getting him to ride it. He has ridden BTMRR once, and tolerated it. But he's very thankful that DS is terrified of the "runaway choo-choo" and won't have to ride it again anytime soon. I've yet to talk him into Mickey Ears, but he did purchase an Indiana Jones hat our first trip (and wears it all the time). Hmm... okay, 2009 he got the Indiana Jones hat (fedora), 2010 he got a Kermit ballcap, and 2011 he got an Indiana Jones ballcap. All of which he wears regularly.

Oh, back on track ... I thought he had a favorite restaurant (Wolfgang Pucks), but found out during our planning, he only liked it for the Creme Brulee they had on the menu. Since it was not on the menu last year, he confessed it was the only reason we have gone the past three years.

About DD10

She was excited to be considered an adult and looked forward to ordering from the adult menu. She has asthma and a milk (allergy) intolerance. She has done well in the parks with her asthma, and we hope the trend continues. With her milk issues, it makes dining sometimes stressful. She wants to eat ice cream like little brother, but I don't want her to suffer the consequences. I hate being the "bad guy", but it truly is for the best. When we aren't offered guidance, we avoid the obvious things and hope that whatever she does order has trace amounts that she can handle.

DD is a girly-girl. She loves wearing heels (around the house) and dresses. She adores the Princesses and will beat you at trivia on them any day of the week. She's taking after me and is totally in love with WDW. I'd love to do a mother-daughter trip with her one day. She's also a thrill-junkie. Her favorite ride is Tower of Terror. This is the only ride I actually despise. I get nervous just thinking about having to ride it. 2010 was the first year she was brave enough to ride the bigger attractions. We watched videos of all the rides, so she knew what to expect. I am thankful I have a coaster-buddy. Her favorite park is probaby MK. She loves the parades and fireworks, and she doesn't mind that I cry.

(This is probably one of my favorite pictures of her.)

About DS5

DS is 5 and will turn 6 next week! He loves Phineas & Ferb! He loves Muppets and shows great interest in pirates (especially Captain Hook and Jake). He enjoys Disney Junior of the mornings. Outside of P&F, he adores Donald Duck. His face lights up seeing Mickey or Donald, but really he just loves meeting the characters. He knows most of the Princesses and Fairies (thanks to his sister and I), and he's content to flirt with them. I think his favorite is Tinker Bell. He openly confessed he wanted to see her because she was pretty last year.

DS is currently married (he says) and just started Kindergarten this year. He loves being in the same school as sister. He's very bright for his age, and sometimes we don't give him enough credit and he makes us look dumb. He babysat Dendoggy (my dad) over his Fall break and told him he'd go to WDW and bring him back some dubloons (they were watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates). He promised to see the Disney Junior show and grab all the dubloons for Dendoggy. (Dendoggy stems from not being able to say Granddaddy very well -- from DD. It just stuck.)

Anyway, DS's favorite park is probably MK or AK. He loves the animals. He has issues riding the trains, since he's terrifed of BTMRR. He thinks all trains are now runaway trains. It takes a lot of encouragement to get him to board a train now ... which is kind of odd since he is a train-fanatic. (He loves Thomas.) DS can name most parts of the train, and he can name ALL the Thomas trains. I can't tell most of them apart, but he knows, and I can't trick him either! DS won't ride much. He's a wuss like his daddy. I do hope that one day he'll see the light and love the thrill rides. I won't push him, though.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Lidian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Am I first???? Whoot!!!! Glad to see you've started!

D~
WOOT for first! Glad you're here D! I want it to be known that V has a doppleganger in our town. I've seen her twice. Not sure why your DD is hanging around these strange people in my neck of the woods, but you may want to look into it.

DD keeps asking about your girls. She really fell in love with them! They were great girls, and I admit, I miss them, too! Heck, I even miss you, D.

Ready to relive our trips?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidian View Post
WOOT for first! Glad you're here D! I want it to be known that V has a doppleganger in our town. I've seen her twice. Not sure why your DD is hanging around these strange people in my neck of the woods, but you may want to look into it.
Oooh, thanks for the warning. The next time you see her - would you mind snapping pictures? It would help to have some evidence when I approach her.

Quote:
DD keeps asking about your girls. She really fell in love with them! They were great girls, and I admit, I miss them, too! Heck, I even miss you, D.
I know, my girls totally fell in love with your kids - it was totally precious - and I really think there was a great bonding experience for them. Through out our trip, they frequently wished your family was still there.

Awww... I am glad you miss me. We had a lot of great fun! I edited out Photopass pics that we took in Epcot last night... I am not sure what kind of pose I was trying to do - but I look like I am somewhat deformed.

Quote:
Ready to relive our trips?
Totally! However, I think the girls and I have come to the conclusion that we have no desire to do spring break again. That trip was rough... at least I can honestly say - I was never once ran over by a stroller or a rent-a-wheeler.

D~
Old 03-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

I'm here !!

Looking forward to your TR very much since I am at the cusp of my trip and need a FIX now !!!

Cute kids !!

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Corrine 1973
What do you mean I am not a princess, don't you see my crown!!!

OK, I am 3rd, I can deal with that.

Now I have to go back and read.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
cogero
DIS Veteran

okay I am joining in. Hoping I can keep caught up.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

I'm 4th!!! Ready to hear about your WDW fun! I have to get mine started soon too...

I am with D~: we too have decided to wait until Oct 13 to return, Spring Break was just too crowded! So maybe we will all be there at the same time again!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
AH cogero- you beat me to 4th!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiDAISY View Post
I'm 4th!!! Ready to hear about your WDW fun! I have to get mine started soon too...

I am with D~: we too have decided to wait until Oct 13 to return, Spring Break was just too crowded! So maybe we will all be there at the same time again!
I am hoping it was so crowded for you all that it will be empty for me when I leave on 4/6

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
wendy3
Mouseketeer

I'm in!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Lidian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oooh, thanks for the warning. The next time you see her - would you mind snapping pictures? It would help to have some evidence when I approach her.
Hmm... I'll do what I can. It will have to be a sneak attack, though!

Quote:
I know, my girls totally fell in love with your kids - it was totally precious - and I really think there was a great bonding experience for them. Through out our trip, they frequently wished your family was still there.
My DD begged to let her stay with you guys while we went home. She was soooo worried about meeting your girls, but once she did, she realized how awesome they were and fell right in love with them! I can't wait to share all the pictures of them being cute together!

Quote:
Awww... I am glad you miss me. We had a lot of great fun! I edited out Photopass pics that we took in Epcot last night... I am not sure what kind of pose I was trying to do - but I look like I am somewhat deformed.
Deformed? : Odd... Must have been a pic I wasn't around for. Unless you mean that I was the deformity, then I totally agree. I loved the pic of just us! Thank you for not making me get one done by myself.

Quote:
Totally! However, I think the girls and I have come to the conclusion that we have no desire to do spring break again. That trip was rough... at least I can honestly say - I was never once ran over by a stroller or a rent-a-wheeler.

D~
Good point. We weren't run over by a stroller or wheelchair, either! Granted, we agree completely. March is just waaay too unpredictable. I still think May is the best time! I'd love to do an October trip one year, but I have to finish college first. And I'd love to see the lights ... and would love to be in the park on my birthday one day ... Oh, all the trips I'll have to plan.

Granted, we need to plan a trip one year for our girls to hang out. We can make it a girls trip or something ... just the 5 of us. That would be totally epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyzblu View Post
I'm here !!

Looking forward to your TR very much since I am at the cusp of my trip and need a FIX now !!!

Cute kids !!
Thanks for joining! Your trip is right around the corner!

Thanks for the compliment! I'm a bit crazy about them, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine 1973 View Post
OK, I am 3rd, I can deal with that

Now I have to go back and read.
Yay Corrine! Glad you're here!

Quote:
Yay, you're here, too! This will be a slow TR ... so hopefully you can stay caught up.

Quote:

Yay, Oopsi is here!

I was hoping to go August 2013 for an adult only trip, but I'm down a girl and DH is kind of throwing a road block ... so not sure if it will happen or not.

Quote:
AH cogero- you beat me to 4th!
She's sneaky like that.

Quote:
I am hoping it was so crowded for you all that it will be empty for me when I leave on 4/6
Fingers are crossed that you have the parks all to yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy3 View Post
I'm in!
Glad you could join us!

Quote:
FYI---I started my TR...follow the link in my siggie!
It's still not there! How many times do I have to tell you?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: