Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #61
ivey_family
Mouseketeer
 
ivey_family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi S View Post
My state (NC) employs teachers to work on test development for both state testing and a test prep service provided through NCState. It's pretty lucrative - esp. considering the time involved and amount of annoyance in the task, but you have to be actively teaching to get started with them. I found out about it through state mailings to department leads. I would have no idea how else to go about finding this type of gig.

I'm actually highly opposed to multiple choice testing as the be-all and end-all of education,which it has turned into. On the other hand, if there are going to be people making a profit off this nonsense, then I say if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Besides it makes affording Disney a lot easier.
Sounds like a good deal for you! I agree with you about the standardized testing, but, hey, you may as well get something out of the silliness! I'll have to look around a little bit to see if anything like that is offered in Michigan (though I'm not teaching and my certificate has lapsed now.)

Thanks for sharing, Sandi!

Regards,
C.
__________________
Carrie - Wife to Jason; Mama to Noah (6), Micaiah (5) and Abigail (3)
Facebook: KiddleyDiveySewing

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/30-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
ivey_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #62
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo
 
miprender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: RI (Home of the Big Blue Bug)
Posts: 4,689

Jaylin... here is her FB page http://www.facebook.com/sweetpeasplaceembroidery



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi S View Post
Like Sweet Pea on FB and request to join the Behind the Scenes group - that's how I was able to get add to the access for her "special" designs. I bought quite a few and added them to my sewing planning document.
I already liked her page before so I will send a message. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
Okay some one who has made pockets for easy fits I have a question.

I want do put an applique on one of Js pairs. Did you cut to size first or after you put the applique on.
I would applique first too though I haven't done that yet.... but I know from experience it is easier adding the pocket before the pants are sewn
__________________
--- DD10 , DS8 , DS5 , DH, me(Michelle)
FBStore: Mi Creations Trip Years: 1996,1997,2001,2006,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
miprender is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #63
ariekannairb
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 79

Just popping in to say hi. I finally figured out the multi-post thing so will be able to do that next time, but I am not feeling well tonight so going to just drop by. I have another non-Disney dress finished.




Tomorrow going to work on taking some of my son's old jeans that have holes in the knees and turning them into shorts with Disney borders along the bottom. I hope everyone has had a restful weekend!
__________________
Anna-Homeschooling mama to 3 little ones

Last edited by ariekannairb; 03-18-2012 at 06:57 PM.
ariekannairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #64
Sandi S
Sew Crazy for Disney!
 
Sandi S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylin View Post
ok, I give up! How do I go about doing this? I cannot figure out what her facebook name is, I tried everything. I went to the website and "liked" it from there, but that's not right either! I loved her stuff!
Miprender got it covered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
Jaylin... here is her FB page http://www.facebook.com/sweetpeasplaceembroidery

I already liked her page before so I will send a message. Thanks

I would applique first too though I haven't done that yet.... but I know from experience it is easier adding the pocket before the pants are sewn
I prefer to applique then cut pattern pieces unless it is for something big - like the front of a shirt. Then I cut the pattern piece before applique.

I also found another great place for appliques - Applicakes - really cute stuff!
__________________
Sandi & DH (41)DS 13, DS 11 , DS 8 , DD 6 & 2 silly furbabies



Sandi S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #65
jessica52877
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,491

Here! We were camping!
__________________

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
jessica52877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #66
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran
 
VBAndrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,500

ENABLER ALERT!!!!

Very late at posting this since it went to my spam

Planet Applique is offering $5 off orders of $10 or more but it is only good through tonight I think. Use coupon code stpat5

Hopefully this will at least help Marianne and Shakisha get some designs -- I think tomorrow is the big day for our Cayman friend
__________________
Andrea

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #67
tinkerbell3747
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbell3747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
ENABLER ALERT!!!!

Very late at posting this since it went to my spam

Planet Applique is offering $5 off orders of $10 or more but it is only good through tonight I think. Use coupon code stpat5

Hopefully this will at least help Marianne and Shakisha get some designs -- I think tomorrow is the big day for our Cayman friend
Thanks will go check them out right now!

Tomorrow is the BIG DAY I cannot contain my excitment
__________________
Shakisha
Me DH DS (10) DD (7)
tinkerbell3747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #68
tinkbell13
Mouseketeer
 
tinkbell13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 238

I just knew the thread was gonna jump while I was away! Thankfully, I caught it and am here now. Way, way, way TMTQ while we were gone. So many beautiful projects have been posted that I don't think I'd catch everyone if I tried to quote/mention them.

tinkerbell3747 - Just wanted to give a special YAY!!! for your delivery tomorrow! Can't wait to see what you make for your trip!

Yesterday on our drive home, DH told me he has decided that 4 years is the perfect length of time between Disney trips. Since we just finished this one, I'll let him think I am in agreement with him for a few months before I start working on changing his mind. We had a good time, although I do have to say that we will likely never do another trip with BIL/SIL. They just have a completely different idea of a vacation than we have. Nothing wrong with that either, but I'd rather just go ourselves and have a great vacation. Definitely can't complain about the weather we had last week - sunny with highs from 27-30 C (80-86 F for those of you on the other side of the border!) and no rain other than the Sunday we arrived. We all wore our Canada Mickey shirts on Monday in MK and had several people ask where we got them. Lots of comments on the kids' pirate shirts too (DS and DN11 wore them on our second MK day, DN8 didn't wear hers at all) and a lady on the bus back to the resort one night wanted my Tink bag in the worst way. DH wants us to have matching shirts for every day next time (it certainly makes it easier to keep track of everyone!) so I have lots of time (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) to plan that out. It was a good week overall and I'm not going to complain because we were in the most magical place after all was said and done.
__________________
Me DH DS(13)

Off-site: 1977 - 1983, 1985 (family trips as a kid)
All Star Movies: 2008, 2012
tinkbell13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #69
dianemom2
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,567

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell3747 View Post
Thanks will go check them out right now!

Tomorrow is the BIG DAY I cannot contain my excitment
That's so exciting! What are you going to make first????
__________________
DivineDesignsbyDiane on Etsy.





dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #70
tinkerbell3747
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbell3747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
That's so exciting! What are you going to make first????
Thanks so much everyone for going banana's with me. DH is the Ops Manager at our Port so as soon as its out of the shipping container He'll let me know.......and pack it up in the car.

I have gone round and round in my mind on what to make first. I want a great practice project that the kids can use but won't be to embarrassed to wear. Maybe Disney PJ's. They love easy fits so I'll stitch and "serge" some easy fits for them and appliqué some matching t's. Maybe make a set for myself as well.. I'll also add pockets just for practice. As DD will have a couple of "capri/bermuda" sets for the trip.

When the PJ's are done I'll jump right in on our customs!
__________________
Shakisha
Me DH DS (10) DD (7)
tinkerbell3747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #71
tinkerbell3747
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbell3747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi S View Post
Miprender got it covered!



I prefer to applique then cut pattern pieces unless it is for something big - like the front of a shirt. Then I cut the pattern piece before applique.

I also found another great place for appliques - Applicakes - really cute stuff!
Hey Sandi I just noticed our Tickers are neck and neck!!!! It will be here before we know it!
__________________
Shakisha
Me DH DS (10) DD (7)
tinkerbell3747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #72
Sandi S
Sew Crazy for Disney!
 
Sandi S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkbell13 View Post
I just knew the thread was gonna jump while I was away! Thankfully, I caught it and am here now. Way, way, way TMTQ while we were gone. So many beautiful projects have been posted that I don't think I'd catch everyone if I tried to quote/mention them.

tinkerbell3747 - Just wanted to give a special YAY!!! for your delivery tomorrow! Can't wait to see what you make for your trip!

Yesterday on our drive home, DH told me he has decided that 4 years is the perfect length of time between Disney trips. Since we just finished this one, I'll let him think I am in agreement with him for a few months before I start working on changing his mind. We had a good time, although I do have to say that we will likely never do another trip with BIL/SIL. They just have a completely different idea of a vacation than we have. Nothing wrong with that either, but I'd rather just go ourselves and have a great vacation. Definitely can't complain about the weather we had last week - sunny with highs from 27-30 C (80-86 F for those of you on the other side of the border!) and no rain other than the Sunday we arrived. We all wore our Canada Mickey shirts on Monday in MK and had several people ask where we got them. Lots of comments on the kids' pirate shirts too (DS and DN11 wore them on our second MK day, DN8 didn't wear hers at all) and a lady on the bus back to the resort one night wanted my Tink bag in the worst way. DH wants us to have matching shirts for every day next time (it certainly makes it easier to keep track of everyone!) so I have lots of time (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) to plan that out. It was a good week overall and I'm not going to complain because we were in the most magical place after all was said and done.
My DH hasn't been to Disney since 99 (pre-kids) and managed to get out of a 2004 WDW trip and a 2009 visit to DL. I am making him go. I know he will have fun, but I know he'd be one to not go again for a really long time. However, my mom LOVES to go and she WAS with me in '04 and '09...I'm planning to scout the bounce-back offers and turn right around and plan a 2013 trip with her and the kids. It's an easy drive from NC and DH & I have each traveled solo with the kids (diff. places) more than once, so it's no big deal. Heck, I drove those children cross-country with my mom in 2009. That was wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell3747 View Post
Hey Sandi I just noticed our Tickers are neck and neck!!!! It will be here before we know it!
Can't wait!!! Where are y'all staying?
__________________
Sandi & DH (41)DS 13, DS 11 , DS 8 , DD 6 & 2 silly furbabies



Sandi S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #73
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran
 
PurpleEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariekannairb View Post
Just popping in to say hi. I finally figured out the multi-post thing so will be able to do that next time, but I am not feeling well tonight so going to just drop by. I have another non-Disney dress finished.




Tomorrow going to work on taking some of my son's old jeans that have holes in the knees and turning them into shorts with Disney borders along the bottom. I hope everyone has had a restful weekend!
Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I hope you'll recover quickly! The dress is beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
ENABLER ALERT!!!!

Very late at posting this since it went to my spam

Planet Applique is offering $5 off orders of $10 or more but it is only good through tonight I think. Use coupon code stpat5

Hopefully this will at least help Marianne and Shakisha get some designs -- I think tomorrow is the big day for our Cayman friend
I must resist buying more designs...especially when I just bought a few patterns on the YMCT $5 sale AND I have a feeling that I will be buying a few Disney-based designs before too long. Even though I really can't make THAT much more clothes for my August trip. Oh well, I can always wear them at home, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkbell13 View Post
I just knew the thread was gonna jump while I was away! Thankfully, I caught it and am here now. Way, way, way TMTQ while we were gone. So many beautiful projects have been posted that I don't think I'd catch everyone if I tried to quote/mention them.

tinkerbell3747 - Just wanted to give a special YAY!!! for your delivery tomorrow! Can't wait to see what you make for your trip!

Yesterday on our drive home, DH told me he has decided that 4 years is the perfect length of time between Disney trips. Since we just finished this one, I'll let him think I am in agreement with him for a few months before I start working on changing his mind. We had a good time, although I do have to say that we will likely never do another trip with BIL/SIL. They just have a completely different idea of a vacation than we have. Nothing wrong with that either, but I'd rather just go ourselves and have a great vacation. Definitely can't complain about the weather we had last week - sunny with highs from 27-30 C (80-86 F for those of you on the other side of the border!) and no rain other than the Sunday we arrived. We all wore our Canada Mickey shirts on Monday in MK and had several people ask where we got them. Lots of comments on the kids' pirate shirts too (DS and DN11 wore them on our second MK day, DN8 didn't wear hers at all) and a lady on the bus back to the resort one night wanted my Tink bag in the worst way. DH wants us to have matching shirts for every day next time (it certainly makes it easier to keep track of everyone!) so I have lots of time (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) to plan that out. It was a good week overall and I'm not going to complain because we were in the most magical place after all was said and done.
Sounds like you had a great time despite some snags with family members. I think you just inspired me to do the Canadian Mickey flag as an attachment to my bag or outfit. I look forward to seeing pictures of your trip!

Oh by the way, I hope you didn't suffer any problems from the St. Patty's day riot. I heard it was a mess in parts of London!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell3747 View Post
Thanks so much everyone for going banana's with me. DH is the Ops Manager at our Port so as soon as its out of the shipping container He'll let me know.......and pack it up in the car.

I have gone round and round in my mind on what to make first. I want a great practice project that the kids can use but won't be to embarrassed to wear. Maybe Disney PJ's. They love easy fits so I'll stitch and "serge" some easy fits for them and appliqué some matching t's. Maybe make a set for myself as well.. I'll also add pockets just for practice. As DD will have a couple of "capri/bermuda" sets for the trip.

When the PJ's are done I'll jump right in on our customs!
I can't wait to see what you make with your machine! I am sure you'll have a blast with it!
__________________
DH Me



Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #74
tinkerbell3747
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbell3747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 734

Sandi,

Well be going back to our DVC Home - Bay Lake!

Where will you guys be staying?
__________________
Shakisha
Me DH DS (10) DD (7)
tinkerbell3747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #75
billwendy
DIS Veteran
 
billwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: essington, PA
Posts: 4,938

Hi Everyone!!
I sure wish I had a Disney trip planned. Just today at lunch though, Bill says out of the blue - I want to see the Christmas stuff at Disney again this year!!!!!!!! Sooooo, I'll keep my fingers crossed that this happens!!

Yesterday, Bill and I worked at a fundraiser - someone sponsered us to help them with that fundraiser, and they would donate $100 in each of our names towards our expenses for Camp Promise this year. It was a LOOONGGGG day and we were exhausted. Well, today, I was in my Sunday School room playing with the kids (someone gave us an appliance box and we were making it into a house ( : ) and the person who sponsored us came down and said that they appreciated how hard we worked, and instead of $100, they donated $200 in each of our names!!!!! I started to cry! Just our tickets alone were about $750, so this was a HUGE help!!!

Would anyone consider making something Lilo and Stitch for Mitchell's big give? Ohana was requested by him (he doesnt even eat much - allergic to everything in a really bad way) and so as part of his wish, his parents are doing this character meal for him - it'd be super cool to have the babies and him dressed up for this ( :

Also could use some baby bibs!!!!!

Thanks for considering everyone!!!!!
__________________
Wendy Billy and our fur ball Tigger

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: