Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
pktbMouse
What you dont know is that each Mickey mouse hat you buy is a mind controlling device..this is how they get families to overspend on food and souvenirs!

My son was 9 last year when we went and about into the third day of walking his poor feet were agony and his legs were aching. We rented a double stroller for him and he sat in it legs crossed..it meant we covered more ground quicker and he enjoyed the trip a whole lot better.....dont listen to the nay sayers that think 8 is too old...I tell ya....if I could have fitted in one that trip and somehow convinced my hubby to push me I would have..hehe

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
pktbMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
crazyboutdisny
Mouseketeer

So refreshing to see a thread where the op is not being bashed for wanting a stroller for an older child!
We leave in 9 days and I have a stroller rented from Kingdom Strollers for my 8 yr old. I really considered renting a double from the parks because I think she will fit better but I went with Kingdom Strollers to save money.
One of the main reasons I am renting a stroller is because my daughter is a worrier. She gets very panicy and nervous and crowds bother her. We are going at a time when it is going to be very crowded so I want her to have a place where she will feel safe from the crowds. I am traveling with out my husband this trip.

March 2012 POR
Oct 2010 POP
June 2001*offsite*
May 1998 *offsite*
crazyboutdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
Goobergirl
Never say never...

I think this is the first time I have seen this topic discussed and felt by the end of it...ok, yeah...we should definitely get the double stroller for our trip at the end of the year. The kids will be (just turned) 2 and (almost) 6. I think I will be renting from offsite, the mini city double per a friend's advice.
2009 BC/GF
Goobergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
huckabear
Disney Dreaming

Taking one for our almost 4 year old but now I'm worried about my 6 year old after reading this. I hope he can swing it! I don't want to rent one.

Past trips:
2012 - Port Orleans Riverside (first time with my children! )
1992 - Caribbean Beach Resort
1987 - Contemporary Resort
1982 - Fairway Villas

huckabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
MyMagicKingdom
Mouseketeer

Listen, most of the time I'm in WDW, I'd like a stroller so who cares if your kid is 8?! I can already imagine that we'll get looks when we go next year and DS is 5 but I definitely don't expect him to walk all day everyday for at least 5 days. People just have too much time on their hands to worry about what others are doing I suppose.
As some previous posters have mentioned, I think one of those caboose strollers would be sufficient. Since we brought our own stroller previously I can't quite recall the size of the WDW double strollers so I can't comment on that but at least with the caboose strollers he'll get some sort of reprieve.
*June 2009 (Honeymoon!!!) ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)/The Polynesian (Aotearoa)/Disney Wonder*
*August 2010 ~ Pop Century ..... First time celebrating my birthday in WDW and DS' first WDW trip!!!!!!*
*August 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge....My bday (again!) and DS' first trip to WDW!!! *
*January 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach*
*November 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach...surprise trip for the kids!!! First MVMCP!!!! *
MyMagicKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #21
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

I would say it could hold a eight year old, the past two years we have not had to use a stroller. I think the last time we used one was when my son was 5 or 6, it was nice not having to drag along a stroller and plus I saved money by not renting one..

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #22
MissChris
Mouseketeer

I think that when you travel with kids you travel at a slower speed. Slow down, take a break in the day. Actually, I think everyone would have more fun if they paced themselves and listened to their bodies, stopping for a snack or a rest when they need it, and taking time to appreciate the little details that make Disney unique and special. We had a hidden mickey contest on this most recent trip that our 6 year old really got in to. It made us pay a lot more attention to the little details and it made our trip that much better and more fun. I saw all kinds of stuff I never noticed before.

When we get hot and tired and cranky in the afternoon (I know I do) we sit down in a shady spot and enjoy a dole whip and watch the crowd go by for half an hour. Or take in Philharmagic (awesome) or another pleasant, air conditioned attraction. Then we carry on, refreshed in mind and body and ready for our next adventure. I really think that more dole whips would drastically reduce the numbers of cranky kids (and parents ) that I saw last week. Relax, slow down, have a mickey bar, it's vacation, not boot camp, take it easy and have fun.

We have a younger kid now, so we still schlep the stroller along but I'm looking forward to the day that we ditch it entirely. It's really a hassle to park it and then retrieve it all day long and trying to navigate it through the crowds is annoying and they can't go on the trains and you have to fold them up for the buses. I would say, if you can, you should avoid the whole expense and trouble altogether.

Introducing my family
Me Disney instigator, Mr. bold and hearty, our Big Girl and social butterfly , and the new guy
MissChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #23
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckabear View Post
Taking one for our almost 4 year old but now I'm worried about my 6 year old after reading this. I hope he can swing it! I don't want to rent one.
Honestly, I don't think you will need it. We took our 6 year old nephew for 9 days in June a few years ago. He is not a particularly active child, prefers to play video games and eat junk food as his favorite activities, is on the short side, and like all children, he can be whiney. He did fine. We took breaks in the a/c when he needed a rest, ate ice cream on a bench, that type of thing.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
ALMomof2
Earning My Ears

Stroller rental OUTSIDE the parks...good news for flyers!

Anyone use Orlando Stroller Rental?

Stroller rental out of the park is over $100 less and the strollers are comfier and can be delivered to your resort if you fly and will be renting a car.

I wonder what they're like on the buses....??
Anyone rent Baby Jogger City Mini? (a double)??
Just read reviews and saw a video of them collapsing in one easy move...is it really that easy?
ALMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #25
crazyboutdisny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMomof2 View Post
Anyone use Orlando Stroller Rental?

Stroller rental out of the park is over $100 less and the strollers are comfier and can be delivered to your resort if you fly and will be renting a car.

I wonder what they're like on the buses....??
Anyone rent Baby Jogger City Mini? (a double)??
Just read reviews and saw a video of them collapsing in one easy move...is it really that easy?
I rented from Orlando Stroller Rentals when we were there in Oct 2010. I was extremely happy with them! We rented a City Elite Single and loved it! It wasnt too bad on the busses. It folds SO easy! This year we are renting from Kingdom Stroller rentals only because they will deliver a case of water also.

March 2012 POR
Oct 2010 POP
June 2001*offsite*
May 1998 *offsite*
crazyboutdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #26
reginaastralis
DIS Veteran

OP ... It's your vacation, but I wanted to tell you about last Friday with our family.

We're AP holders, and live at Disney. My daughter and I did a trip the Thursday before with no issues. In fact, she's seven and it was field day at her school, and we closed down MK that night.

Flash forward to the following Friday, it was my birthday and we decided to do Epcot, and it was a disaster. We were at the ticket window transferring my boyfriends AP over, and she sat down and demanded stroller. We didn't give in, and it was the longest day ever. My kid is active, loves to run .... spends her day running literal circles while she's at home ... but she was not in the mood to walk around EPCOT. We ended up doing three parks that day, and at the end, carrying her out of MK because she straight up refused to walk another step ... it wasn't fun. It was pretty much awful.

Did we push her too hard? Honestly, I don't think so. We're AP holders at Busch Gardens and SeaWorld, and she walks these parks with no problems I think part of our issue was that she was egging my boyfriend on. However, I really wish I would have gotten her the stroller ... it was that bad.

Listen to your kid, and your gut. It'll save you in the long run. At least in sanity.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #27
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourblessings View Post
Don't let the previous poster get to you. Our 8yo rides in the strollers we rent with no issues on her or our parts. Granted they are not the disney strollers.

You will find there are alot of people who are prejudice against strollers for any child over 2 for some reason.
I don't think the poster was "prejudice" [sic] against a non-disabled 8 year old riding in a stroller. She was just stating her opinion, which she is free to do. I happen to agree that it is ridiculous for an 8 year old to be in a stroller. No wonder so many kids are overweight. That is my opinion only, feel free to wheel around your teenager if you wish.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #28
DixieMitch
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
I don't think the poster was "prejudice" [sic]
Dude...it's a discussion board. Really?
DixieMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #29
alcie27
Mouseketeer

I asked this question initially because the last time we were in WDW my then 5 1/2 yr old ended up exhausted after the first 2 days and we broke down and rented her a stroller. I remember seeing even older kids in strollers but I didn't know how old was too old. If you look at an average hiking distance for a child I've heard it's about 1 mile per year of age, which seems about right when we go as a family. I've also read on this website that the average distance walked at Disney is 9 miles per day which, if this is correct, would put an 8 year old at the maximum amount she could reasonably walk for 6 days in a row. After reading all of these posts we won't be renting a stroller even in Epcot for the older girl, we're just going to take breaks, but you can bet we're getting one for the 4 yr old.
alcie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #30
surrealrain
Earning My Ears

If you're lucky enough to have kids willing to ride in a stroller then go for it. Our son has refused strollers since the day he was born, finally around age 2 we gave up. He will be turning 4 during our Disney trip this year and I would love if he was willing to ride in one when he gets tired so we don't have to carry him.
surrealrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: