Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
ddiva
Mouseketeer

Osteoporosis at 35

During a routine check-up, bone density scan, my doctor discovered I have osteoporosis. I'm getting bloodwork done to find out why I have it at such a young age. Can anyone relate? I'm feeling a little lost and confused.

ddiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Do you have stomach issues? Celiac disease can cause osteoporosis.

My bone density scan came back borderline and I'm just a couple of years older than you, so I take supplements now. The good news is that it's at least treatable as long as you stay on top of it.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Mom&RN
Mouseketeer

ddiva -
There are actually quite a few reasons you could have osteoporosis at such a young age. Believe it or not, one of the reasons many women are getting osteoporosis at younger ages is Vitamin D deficiency and the reason so many of us have Vit D deficiency is because we don't get sun anymore! So we're protecting ourselves from skin cancer but causing vitamin deficiency - if its not one thing its another!! The good news is that there is now a medication you can take that actually causes bone to regrow (this is super good news as it used to be you couldn't "fix" osteoporosis just stop it from getting worse). The drug is called Forteo (I may be spelling that wrong) and you should ask your doc about it. First and foremost you need to find out why you have osteoporosis because you are very young! Good luck!!! Please feel free to PM me if I can be of any help, I don't get on DIS every day but I do several times a week.

2003 - Offsite, 2006 - Offsite, 2007 - Pop, 2009 - AKL, 2010 - CBR, 2011 - Pop, Jan 2013 - BC (WITH Non-DH!!), Sep 2013 - CBR (girls trip!), Feb 2014 - BW (conference), May 2014 - WL (club level!)
Mom&RN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: