Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: If you had to choose between the 2, at which park would you spend the day: DHS or AK?
Disney's Hollywood Studios 14 66.67%
Animal Kingdom 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #31
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Potential ADRs

Time to discuss one of my favorite topics about WDW… the FOOD!

As I mentioned, we've added the Dining Plan to our package so I have 5 Table Service meals to plan. One would think that making just 5 ADRs for 2 people would be an easy task.

However, one would be wrong.

So far I'm thinking all but one of our ADRs will be for dinner. I would like to try some new places, though it's hard to not want to return to our favorites. And though the majority of WDW restaurants are kid-friendly, I'm thinking of going with more "adult" ones since we won't have the kids with us on this trip. With that in mind, here are the restaurants in consideration (so far):
  • Le Cellier - This would be the one lunch ADR. Neither of us have ever dined here and I've wanted to try it but not sure if the kids would like it. So this seems like the perfect time to go!

• Raglan Road - This is another place neither one of us has been to. And since we're only doing 2 day park tickets, we need a few restaurants that are outside the parks.

• Boma - This is one of our favorites!

• 'Ohana - I loved dinner at 'Ohana on my trip last year, and I know Shane would enjoy the food, too.

• Cape May Clam Bake - Another place I went to on my trip last year, but Shane has never been. I really enjoyed dinner here, even though I'm not a fan of seafood! There was plenty of non-seafood items on the buffet, and I even liked the fried calamari and white fish I tried. Shane does like seafood, so I know he would enjoy Cape May.

• Les Chefs de France - I had lunch here on my trip last year, and I still dream about that delicious-manna-from-heaven Baked Macaroni & Cheese.

We're considering doing a Signature Dining or Dinner Show for our last night, as a way to cap off our fabulous vacation! If we go this route, I'm thinking either Yachtsman Steakhouse or Artist Point… or The Sprit of Aloha Luau. If we do the luau, we'd probably skip 'Ohana.

I'm also trying to think of where to have dinner on the day we go to DHS. We've been to 50sPTC and Sci-Fi before, but neither one of those nor any of the other restaurants inside the park are appealing to us. We don't have any issues with leaving the park to grab dinner at a resort… but where do we go? Boma? Cape May? Any suggestions?

I'd also love to hear your thoughts on the ADRs in consideration!
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
PixieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #32
eaj1228
Mouseketeer

I'll be in Disney World in October as well. Since you are going to DHS check out Animation Academy. I finally got around to doing it during my last trip and it was one of my favorite attractions. I have no artistic talent at all and I was truly amazed at how awesome my drawing came out.
Disneyland 1994 Disneyland Hotel**Disneyland 1999 Best Western Anaheim Inn**WDW 2007 Best Western Lakeside**Disney World 2008 Best Western Lakeside**Disneyland April 2009 BWPPI***WDW February 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter**Disneyland October 2010 BWPPI**
*WDW November 2011 BCV and SSR** WDW October 2012 AKL Kidani and SSR** Disneyland October 2013 Anaheim Fairfield Inn** WDW November 2014 Old Key West
eaj1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #33
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

In DHS I like Holllywood & Vine, unless you're looking specifically for adult focused restaurants. I like the buffet!
Love the early ADR choices. I love Le Cellier and Raglan Road!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #34
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaj1228 View Post
I'll be in Disney World in October as well. Since you are going to DHS check out Animation Academy. I finally got around to doing it during my last trip and it was one of my favorite attractions. I have no artistic talent at all and I was truly amazed at how awesome my drawing came out.
Yay, another October DISer!

Yes, we will definitely go to the Animation Academy. I went for the first time on my girls trip last summer... so much fun! I don't know why we skipped it on my family trips... both DDs love to draw, so they'd get a kick out of the AA for sure. It's a must for our next family trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
In DHS I like Holllywood & Vine, unless you're looking specifically for adult focused restaurants. I like the buffet!
Love the early ADR choices. I love Le Cellier and Raglan Road!
We're not opposed to buffets... but I was looking for more "adult" places. Glad to hear you like Le Cellier and Raglan Road! I hear nothing but great things about both places!
POR - Oct 2012
Polynesian - Oct 2013
POFQ - May 2014

Last edited by PixieMama; 03-20-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #35
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

I hear you about the lack of places to eat in DHS!

As far as some more "adult" places--How about Contemporary Grill? We also love Kona Cafe over at the Polynesian.

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
MHTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #36
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Another ADR?

I'm toying with the idea of adding a breakfast ADR to our plans. It would be for Tuesday morning and depending on if we go to MNSSHP that night. Most likely, we'll sleep in and grab a late-ish breakfast somewhere and then hang out at our resort pool until it's time to get ready for MNSSHP. I think party attendees are still allowed to get in the park as early as 4 p.m. but we probably wouldn't get there that early. And not sure if we'd grab an early quick service dinner at POR before we go, or wait and grab something for dinner once we get to MK.

But… back to my breakfast quandary. IF we decide to go this route, where should we have breakfast? Again, it would have to be at a resort since we won't be able to use a park ticket that day. The only breakfasts we've done is at Crystal Palace, and I've had breakfast at Boma (which was good, but if we're going to go to Boma I would rather it be for dinner). Any suggestions for breakfast? We're not opposed to buffets, but the only ones I know of are character meals ('Ohana, 1900 PF, Cape May) and not sure how Shane feels about dining with characters when it'll be just the two of us, LOL!

Where do you like to have breakfast at WDW?
POR - Oct 2012
Polynesian - Oct 2013
POFQ - May 2014
Old 03-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #37
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
I hear you about the lack of places to eat in DHS!

As far as some more "adult" places--How about Contemporary Grill? We also love Kona Cafe over at the Polynesian.
I've heard good things about California Grill. I may have to add that one to the list of potentials.

Have you done breakfast at Kona before? That may be an option for the dilemma I just posted above...
POR - Oct 2012
Polynesian - Oct 2013
POFQ - May 2014
Old 03-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #38
cinderella crazy
DIS Veteran

We have been to Chef Mickey's for breakfast almost every trip (I think we may have missed out on one or two trips). We've never eaten breakfast at any other TS restaurant. But we love it! Don't know if you'd want to do a character breakfast...

By the way, everytime I see your PTR, even when I'm scrolling through the titles, whenever I see yours I start singing that song! The other night Mike asked me "Why do you keep singing that song?!" Once I explained your PTR title he just shook his head. I'm even singing it throughout the day. It's my new go to song.
cinderella crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #39
jenneth79
DIS Veteran

Phew, back from the weekend with ghosts and catching up!

Park: Personally I would choose AK, but if you're looking for the most time for your buck, go with DHS.... it just stays open longer so you feel you're getting the most out of your ticket. If you do go there, check out One Man's Dream... it's really amazing all you learn about Walt!

Dinner: If you do a Signature, have you considered Jiko? Or Bistro de Paris (now on Dining plan!) when you could potentially watch fireworks?

Lunch (DHS): I would highly recommend Hollywood Brown Derby... yum!

Breakfast: I keep hearing great things about Kouzzinas at Boardwalk.... we might give it a try ourselves this October.

Oh, and you're going to love POR, it's my favorite Mod.
jenneth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #40
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella crazy View Post
We have been to Chef Mickey's for breakfast almost every trip (I think we may have missed out on one or two trips). We've never eaten breakfast at any other TS restaurant. But we love it! Don't know if you'd want to do a character breakfast...

By the way, everytime I see your PTR, even when I'm scrolling through the titles, whenever I see yours I start singing that song! The other night Mike asked me "Why do you keep singing that song?!" Once I explained your PTR title he just shook his head. I'm even singing it throughout the day. It's my new go to song.
We're not entirely opposed to character breakfasts. I'm not much of a breakfast-eater (but Shane is) so buffets are nice, as that way there's a variety I can pick from. I think most of the breakfast buffets are character meals, right?

And I'm glad I'm not the only one constantly singing that song!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneth79 View Post
Phew, back from the weekend with ghosts and catching up!

Park: Personally I would choose AK, but if you're looking for the most time for your buck, go with DHS.... it just stays open longer so you feel you're getting the most out of your ticket. If you do go there, check out One Man's Dream... it's really amazing all you learn about Walt!

Dinner: If you do a Signature, have you considered Jiko? Or Bistro de Paris (now on Dining plan!) when you could potentially watch fireworks?

Lunch (DHS): I would highly recommend Hollywood Brown Derby... yum!

Breakfast: I keep hearing great things about Kouzzinas at Boardwalk.... we might give it a try ourselves this October.

Oh, and you're going to love POR, it's my favorite Mod.
Have yet to visit One Man's Dream... if we go with DHS (which it looks like we will), I will make sure we do this!

I think Shane really wants to try the luau, so not sure we'd do two 2-credit meals on this trip. Unless we pay OOP or upgrade to the DxDP...

I hadn't thought of Kouzzina's for breakfast. I just looked at the menu and the French Toast Baklava sounds amazing!
POR - Oct 2012
Polynesian - Oct 2013
POFQ - May 2014
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #41
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Since you will probably only want one meal at Epcot since you will be sampling food around the world I would probably go with Chefs de France. If it is the soup from Le Cellier you are interested in past years it has been available as a sample at the F&W booth!

I've never tried Boma but LOVE Raglan Road!

Cape May Clam Bake is a good bang for your bunk restaurant and you could probably go there on your DHS day!

For Breakfast I've heard awesome things about Kona!!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #42
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Since you will probably only want one meal at Epcot since you will be sampling food around the world I would probably go with Chefs de France. If it is the soup from Le Cellier you are interested in past years it has been available as a sample at the F&W booth!

I've never tried Boma but LOVE Raglan Road!

Cape May Clam Bake is a good bang for your bunk restaurant and you could probably go there on your DHS day!

For Breakfast I've heard awesome things about Kona!!
Yes, I am definitely interested in the soup at Le Cellier... but also the whole experience. It's one place we've never been, so I think we'll try for the ADR. If we can't get it Les Chefs is next on our list!

My BFF has been to Raglan Road and she absolutely loved it. I'm really hoping Shane and I can manage dinner there during our trip.

I think we're going to try for Cape May for the day we go to DHS. It should be easy to get to from the park... and easy to get back to DHS if we feel like it. Plus, I think Shane is looking forward to trying it.

POR - Oct 2012
Polynesian - Oct 2013
POFQ - May 2014
Old 03-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #43
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post

But… back to my breakfast quandary. IF we decide to go this route, where should we have breakfast? Again, it would have to be at a resort since we won't be able to use a park ticket that day. The only breakfasts we've done is at Crystal Palace, and I've had breakfast at Boma (which was good, but if we're going to go to Boma I would rather it be for dinner). Any suggestions for breakfast? We're not opposed to buffets, but the only ones I know of are character meals ('Ohana, 1900 PF, Cape May) and not sure how Shane feels about dining with characters when it'll be just the two of us, LOL!

Where do you like to have breakfast at WDW?
We happen to love the breakfast at 'Ohana, and we've also enjoyed Chef Mickeys! When my DH and I went for our anniversary trip --just the two of us--we had a character breakfast at CP, so I think it's fine to do without kids! We're kids at heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post
I've heard good things about California Grill. I may have to add that one to the list of potentials.

Have you done breakfast at Kona before? That may be an option for the dilemma I just posted above...
It's been four years, but I would swear that Cali Grill is the best meal I've ever had at Disney!

We have actually eaten breakfast at Kona, and it is delicious! Tonga toast --but be warned that it's HUGE! Better be hungry! I've also heard a lot of people around here say they love the macadamia nut pancakes. Sounds good to me!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
MHTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #44
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

We usually go to Cape May before we go to DHS...this May, we're doing it a little different and going to Cape May before Epcot, but usually, I like to do Cape May before a night at DHS, it always seems to work out pretty well!

Definitely go to Le Cellier for lunch!

I like Kona for breakfast, and I've heard good things about the Grand Floridian Cafe!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #45
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
We usually go to Cape May before we go to DHS...this May, we're doing it a little different and going to Cape May before Epcot, but usually, I like to do Cape May before a night at DHS, it always seems to work out pretty well!

Definitely go to Le Cellier for lunch!

I like Kona for breakfast, and I've heard good things about the Grand Floridian Cafe!
I'm thinking dinner at Cape May on our DHS day is a sure thing. I know we'd both enjoy the food, and I think it would be easy to get to the resort from the park. As well as back to the park, if we feel like doing so after dinner.

I'm really hoping for Le Cellier! Fingers crossed we can get that ADR!
POR - Oct 2012
Polynesian - Oct 2013
POFQ - May 2014

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: