Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Let the Memories Begin--A Mother/Son Adventure of a Lifetime!-update 8/6-17 the end!

Let the Memories Begin-A Mother/Son Adventure of a Lifetime!

Hello and to my family's 7th Trip to Walt Disney World in the last 5 years! This would be a trip of a different kind than others as DH would be staying home and it would be just DS and I.

My husband and I recently purchased DVC at BLT and we spent 10 glorious days this summer at the World. We had another 8 days planned for Thanksgiving but DH decided to get his EMT certification and did not have enough time to take off and go to class. So, he graciously encouraged DS and I to go alone so .........what would any good wife do but totally agree!!!! DH got sick right before we left and was needing his gall bladder removed but the trip was still on when the surgeon left town about the same time as DS and I. Would DH be fine at home or would he get worse and we would have to come home early?

Well, let's get this trip started and find out!!!

First, let me introduce you to the cast.

I am Erika, a 35 year old, accountant/finance manager in the utility industry. I volunteer for PTO and with DS cub scout pack. I had a lap band surgery a year ago so Disney is so much fun and easier for me. I have more energy and can really go the extra mile now with DS. I love to walk, read, and zumba. I am a true lover of all things Disney. My favorite park is Magic Kingdom and character is Daisy. My favorite restaurant would be Chefs De France and favorite ride is Soarin.

DS is Jeremy, thus the user name jeremysdisneymom. He is 9 and is in that still child/tween stage. In the summer, the tween reared its ugly head a lot on vacation but that wasn't so much on this trip. He is an honor roll student, in the gifted program, is a Cub Scout and is in 4-H. He loves Disney as much as I do. He wants to be an Imagineer when he grows up and talks constantly about the next Disney Park he plans on designing. His favorite park is Epcot and restaurant is San Angel Inn and Chefs De France. He is not an adventurous child and still will not get on Tower of Terror or Space Mountain. I am not sure who his favorite character is. I think he has a liking for each one in their own way.

Here is Jeremy and I on his first trip to Disney. I can still remember that moment like it was yesterday. I was so overwhelmed with joy to be at the MK with him that I couldn't stop crying. It was that moment that started my love for Disney that has finally spread to my DH and DS.

And this is Jeremy and I this summer.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Jeremy and I got up early this morning to tell Tom goodbye as he headed off to work. We each got a shower and was soon ready to leave. Jeremy did indulge me this trip and let me take lots of pictures of him.

Right before we left, Jeremy looked at me with the biggest smile and said, "Mom, I can't believe I am going to be puked out of a clowns mouth this trip." He was so happy and that will give you a guess as to where we stayed. But, oh how that statement was also a bad omen for the trip as well. More on that to come later!!!

We were soon on the road. Even though we live in southern Ohio, I like to fly out of Lexington, KY when the prices are right. It is a smaller airport and so much easier to navigate in/out. We stopped in Lexington at a family favorite, Cracker Barrel, and enjoyed breakfast together.

We parked in the Economy lot at Bluegrass airport. I think I chose the spot furthest away from the terminal as it was a long walk.

Lugagge in hand and ready to go!

A plane was flying in on our trek to the terminal.

I had already done check in with Air Tran online and paid the extra to choose our seats. I had one bag to check in. While in line I had a nice conversation with a family who was heading to Disney. They had just booked their vacation two weeks ago and had no clue what to do. It was nice being able to help them out and explain Magical Express to them. I hope they had a good time and was not so overwhelmed as I was in those early years before I knew aobut the dis!

It wasn't long before the plane we were boarding arrived at the gate.

Up Next:

Will the plane be diverted?
Will Jeremy ask to go swimming?
Who or what almost ruins the evening?

Last edited by jeremysdisneymom; 08-06-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Here. You are off to a great start. You made it to airport without incident.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Here. You are off to a great start. You made it to airport without incident.
So glad you are here! Yes, so far so good! There really isn't a lot of drama this trip but lots of good memories...and a few bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Here!
Glad you are here!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
MEK
DIS Veteran

So glad you started. Thanks for the heads up. those are great pictures of Jeremy! Back to read!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Hopping on-board for this one!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #8
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Jill very much wants to stay at Boardwalk. She thinks it would be nice to walk outside in the evening and be in the midst of the fun atmosphere. It was sure pretty at Christmas with all the decorations.

I am glad you got to take the mother-son trip. Jeremy was plenty old enough to remember it, and I just know he will always have fond memories of the fun you had.

All of the gall bladder issues are solved now, aren't they? Is Tom feeling all better?

I am going to get that Jeremy on Tower of Terror!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.

Last edited by MeMom; 01-17-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
I'll have one of what ever the tag fairy is drinking tonight
Chocolate is a girls heaven

I'm here too.

Definitely out of the mouth of a boy..."I can't believe I'm going to be puked out of a clowns mouth. Boardwalk here you come.

I hope you had a wonderful trip just the two of you. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
So glad you started. Thanks for the heads up. those are great pictures of Jeremy! Back to read!
So glad you are here! I think Jeremy just looks like he is bursting with excitement in those pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I'm here!

Great start.

Oh, the creepy clown! I want to stay there someday but really, he does creep me out. Wouldn't keep me from the slide (or pool!) though, that's for darn sure, everything else there is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!
So glad you are here! I loved staying at the Boardwalk. I will say the room looked a little worn but you can't beat the location. I your secret entrance! I think the clown would look better if he had eyes and not stars for eyes. But, it sure is one of the best slides on property!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Hopping on-board for this one!
Glad you are here! I am going to get this one done sooner than the last one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Jill very much wants to stay at Boardwalk. She thinks it would be nice to walk outside in the evening and be in the midst of the fun atmosphere. It was sure pretty at Christmas with all the decorations.

I am glad you got to take the mother-son trip. Jeremy was plenty old enough to remember it, and I just know he will always have fond memories of the fun you had.

All of the gall bladder issues are solved now, aren't they? Is Tom feeling all better?

I am going to get that Jeremy on Tower of Terror!
So glad you are here!

Jill really needs to stay there and so do you! It is beautiful and so nice being close to Epcot. I will tell you the lobby took my breath away when we walked in. It was so beautiful for Christmas.

Tom is doing better. He takes his EMT certification test Friday. Say a prayer for him. He is really stressing and has suddenly started breaking out in hives.

I hope you have better luck than we do getting him on Tower of Terror! Tom is really encouraging him for the spring break trip. I am hoping he braves up and will do it. You will be surprised at what we do the last day of our trip considering he won't get on Tower of Terror.....stay tuned!

What trips do you have planned this year? We will not be going during summer so I know we will not get to see you then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
I'm here too.

Definitely out of the mouth of a boy..."I can't believe I'm going to be puked out of a clowns mouth. Boardwalk here you come.

I hope you had a wonderful trip just the two of you. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.
So glad you are here! Yes, definitely something a boy would say. I would never think of it that way. We did have a wonderful time together. I can't wait to share it all with you.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
Jill really needs to stay there and so do you! It is beautiful and so nice being close to Epcot. I will tell you the lobby took my breath away when we walked in. It was so beautiful for Christmas.

Tom is doing better. He takes his EMT certification test Friday. Say a prayer for him. He is really stressing and has suddenly started breaking out in hives.

I hope you have better luck than we do getting him on Tower of Terror! Tom is really encouraging him for the spring break trip. I am hoping he braves up and will do it. You will be surprised at what we do the last day of our trip considering he won't get on Tower of Terror.....stay tuned!

What trips do you have planned this year? We will not be going during summer so I know we will not get to see you then.
I told Jill how beautiful Boardwalk was at Christmas. I went over there one day when she went back to the room to nap with the girls, so she missed it, but she has often said she wants to stay there. We've visited several times, and we got all the way into a room when Marc and Anita were staying there once. We'll make that stay happen in time.

I'm sure Tom will do well on his test.

The drop on ToT is for such a short time. I can handle that way better that I can handle Everest, which seemed to be endless! I was ready to get off of that bad boy!

Only two trips for us this year - a nice long summer one and a week in October during my fall break. We will make do with some Disney-themed activities at home, though, and maybe a few mini-trips. I feel sure this will still be a very exciting year for our family. I think there will be a spring break trip next year, too, so hopefully three trips in 2013.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
I told Jill how beautiful Boardwalk was at Christmas. I went over there one day when she went back to the room to nap with the girls, so she missed it, but she has often said she wants to stay there. We've visited several times, and we got all the way into a room when Marc and Anita were staying there once. We'll make that stay happen in time.

I'm sure Tom will do well on his test.

The drop on ToT is for such a short time. I can handle that way better that I can handle Everest, which seemed to be endless! I was ready to get off of that bad boy!

Only two trips for us this year - a nice long summer one and a week in October during my fall break. We will make do with some Disney-themed activities at home, though, and maybe a few mini-trips. I feel sure this will still be a very exciting year for our family. I think there will be a spring break trip next year, too, so hopefully three trips in 2013.
Fall Break sounds lovely! It has been several years since we were there in the fall. We are going over Easter weekend. I know it will be crowded but I am looking forward to the Flower and Garden Festival. I have never been. We will be back Thanksgiving week with a possible 3 day cruise. However, I think 2013 will be no Disney World. I know that sounds crazy but if we like the cruise I think we might do a 7 day one and then a Thanksgiving trip to Disneyland. I am trying to save DVC points to possibly do 2 weeks the summer of 2014. Jeremy will be getting ready for junior high and Tom I would like to surprise him with a possible stay at the Poly for part of those 2 weeks if the money will allow it. Who knows!! I tend to change vacation plans very often!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
martinolichfamily
DIS Veteran

Woohoo Erika! I Am here!
Great start! Can't wait to read more.
March 2007: 1st family vacation (off site) ~ July 2009: Fort Wilderness Cabin ~ July 2010: POP Century w/DxDP ~ April 2011:POP Century w/DP (Our 10 yr Anniversary Trip) ~ July 2012:1st Disneyland Trip(Desert Palms) ~ January 2013: offsite (DH & I) ~ July 2013: SS & AKL:Kidani (Brayden's 1st WDW Trip! & 1st DVC Trip!)~ November 2013: SS Treehouse & BC ~March 2014: Bonnet Creek (offsite) ~ June 2014: OKW
Old 01-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinolichfamily View Post
Woohoo Erika! I Am here!
Great start! Can't wait to read more.
I am so glad you are here Heather! Wow, a trip to DL! I am so excited for you. Will you do a trip report? We are tentatively planning that for 2013 and would love to hear all about your adventure.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

November 18, 2012--We are on our Way!

The plane we were boarding pulled into the gate. I started looking around and noticed a lot of people with carry ons that looked a lot bigger than what was allowed. I sort of wondered where it was all going to fit. Most of these people must have been seasoned Lexigton Air Tran travelers because before long they announced that due to a full flight you could check luggage for free at the gate! I can't believe I paid $20 to check a bag and these people were getting it for free. This is only a Lexington, KY thing as it didn't happen on our return flight from Orlando and it was rather funny watching this one family with their five bags trying to find places for them!

We boarded the plane rather smoothly and were on our way!

Jeremy took a little nap and I read some on my book. The stewardess had just started serving our row refreshments when this man passes out in the aisle. He was coming back from the bathroom and just fell face down. His wife was a nurse and she couldn't get him to wake up. They called for a doctor and luckily one was on our flight. He worked with him for a long while and finally the man came too. He had gotten overheated and passed out. Luckily, he was okay and we wouldn't have to make a medical emergency landing.

We made good time to Orlando and before long Jeremy and I were waiting for the faux monorail as we call it.

Jeremy was still a little sleepy but he was soo excited to be riding this monorail as the last two trips we drove. Of course he had to get the upfront view!

Jeremy was in a super good mood and actually wanted his picture taken by all the Disney figures in the airport.

I didn't tag our luggage for Magical Express as I wanted to make sure we had it in plenty of time since we were going to the Christmas party that night. We got to baggage claim, picked it up, and was soon at Magical Express. There was no one in our line and they quickly had us on a bus that was getting ready to leave!

We were the only ones going to the Boardwalk and it was the first stop!!!

I had never been in the Boardwalk resort before and it literally took my breath away! The Christmas decorations were beautiful and I loved the atmosphere and feeling of the place. I have no pictures from those first moments but they will come later in the trip! Jeremy and I were just toooo excited.

A nice gentleman met us at the door and asked if we were checking in. I told him I was and gave him our name and that we had done online check in. A lady went and quickly got our packet and in a matter of minutes we were on our way. Our room was a short distance from the elevators!

I did manage to get a few pictures while it was still tidy.

The villa was considered a preferred view. Jeremy was super excited with the view.

I loved seeing the Tower of Terror in the distance.

Well, I just got the call that my new prescription eyeglasses are in so I am going to have to stop here for the day.

Up Next:

Will we rest or do I let Jeremy hit the pool?
Oh no, I knew I shouldn't have ate that!

Last edited by jeremysdisneymom; 01-17-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: