Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
TwingleMum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post

Venice Beach - Maybe, but since it is June I would plan a few days at the beach. It depends on if you like beaches or not. SoCal water is cold. In June you can go in the water but it will be chilly. I am more familiar with the beaches in Orange County which happen to be nearer to DLR - Newport Beach and Huntington Beach are good ones. You could visit these from the same hotel where you stay at DLR. But it would be better if you want time on the beach to stay on the beach for a few days. Many choices - depends on how many days and where you want to go.

OK, things you should consider adding to your trip:

1. San Diego - beautiful beach city south of DLR by about 2 hours by car - but you can take a train there. Nice beaches and if you want 2-3 days at the beach you could do it there.

Hope that helps!
HI Hydroguy where would you recommend a family to go for a beach day near DL?? We are from the Right Coast and live right by the beach. I thought the kids would have fun going to 'the other' ocean. The kids can swim pretty well but I would not want anything too crazy (rip tides, heavy surf etc..) I would have thought the water would be warm in So Cal. We are going in Aug so hopefully it will be a little warmer Thx for all your help to all of us Dis'ers.
TwingleMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #17
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy

Venice Beach - Maybe, but since it is June I would plan a few days at the beach. It depends on if you like beaches or not. SoCal water is cold. In June you can go in the water but it will be chilly. I am more familiar with the beaches in Orange County which happen to be nearer to DLR - Newport Beach and Huntington Beach are good ones. You could visit these from the same hotel where you stay at DLR. But it would be better if you want time on the beach to stay on the beach for a few days. Many choices - depends on how many days and where you want to go.

OK, things you should consider adding to your trip:

1. San Diego - beautiful beach city south of DLR by about 2 hours by car - but you can take a train there. Nice beaches and if you want 2-3 days at the beach you could do it there.

Hope that helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwingleMum View Post
HI Hydroguy where would you recommend a family to go for a beach day near DL?? We are from the Right Coast and live right by the beach. I thought the kids would have fun going to 'the other' ocean. The kids can swim pretty well but I would not want anything too crazy (rip tides, heavy surf etc..) I would have thought the water would be warm in So Cal. We are going in Aug so hopefully it will be a little warmer Thx for all your help to all of us Dis'ers.
As I said, Newport Beach or Huntington Beach. But anywhere you go you need to watch your kids close.
DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #18
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwingleMum View Post
Any of the three beaches mentioned above should be fine, though I would stay closer to the Pier in Santa Monica at Venice. It's bound to be colder, because the ocean current comes from the colder north, versus in the east where your current is coming from the equator. Try walking out on one of the peirs and watching surfers.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
Neil_UK
Earning My Ears

Hey guys,

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and ideas..
Still looking into everything so I still need a little bit of help.

We have decided that the best way round of doing our trip is in 3 parts in the following order:
- Fly to SFO
- Travel to LA
- Drive to Las Vegas

Travel between SFO and LA:
Can anyone suggest if it would be better to drive or fly?
I didn't realise it was around 7 hours drive. Is there anywhere in the middle that is worth visitiing? So we could drive in two journeys?
Or would you say just fly and save time?

Disney area:
Someone mentione before allow 5 days here.
Is this really needed? I'm not very clued up on DLC, is it just Disneyland Park and California Adventure that are the main highlights?
Could we squeeze this down to any less time?

Chhhhhheeeeeers guys
Neil_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
DisneylandForever
At Walt's in DLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_UK View Post
I didn't realise it was around 7 hours drive. Is there anywhere in the middle that is worth visitiing? So we could drive in two journeys?
It's about a 6 hour drive if you take I5, which is the faster route because not only is it more direct, but there is nothing to see along the way.

If you take Highway 101 it's a much prettier drive, with places to visit. Some of the more touristy things are: Hearst Castle (off Highway 1), a cute little Danish town called Solvang (although you probably don't need to travel all the way to California to see European culture ), towns like Morro Bay, Monterey, Santa Cruz. And you already mentioned Pebble Beach.

If you decide to fly, you can get pretty cheap flights from SFO to LAX via Southwest, American, United, Virgin, etc. It takes less than 90 minutes gate to gate.

While you're in San Francisco, try to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio. As a Disney fan that's way more worth doing than Alcatraz, IMO.

Quote:
Disney area:
Is this really needed? I'm not very clued up on DLC, is it just Disneyland Park and California Adventure that are the main highlights?
You can definitely squeeze that down. It all depends on your pace. On my Eurotrip I had 4 days set aside for London but saw everything on my list in 1.5 days. Of course I could have found more things to do in the remaining 2.5 days, but I opted to head out and see the next place! That said, you could do 2 days in Disneyland and 1 in DCA and be just fine.

DisneylandForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:

If you do not want to see anything along the way, then fly. is there anything between? Yes, I gave a long list in my first post - among them the most beautiful place int he whole world - Yosemite National Park - and the largest living things int he whole world - in Sequioa National Park. These are mostly on the way between SoCal and SF.

Quote:
Disney area:

Chhhhhheeeeeers guys
Five days is not needed at DLR. Four days will allow you to feel like you had a solid visit of the whole resort. Three days is fine also, but you will feel like you did not really have enough time. But heck, three days at DLR is great!

Not sure what you mean be "DLC"?
DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #22
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Hi, Neil!

I moved this thread over to the California & the West forum. I have not read everyone's posts - just kind of skimmed over a few of them before I moved the thread - so I may be repeating what you've already been told.

I can't speak about the Northern California or Las Vegas portions of the trip, but I can definitely give input about the Southern California segment!

Disneyland is nowhere near Universal Studios (probably about 1 hour apart by car, and that's the minimum - more like one hour, 15 minutes). They are in two totally different counties, with Anaheim/Disney being in Orange County and Universal Studios/Universal City being part of Los Angeles County.

Knott's Berry Farm is also part of Orange County, as are Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, etc.

Six Flags/Magic Mountain is way out in Valencia - far away from everything and totally inconvenient!

Knott's (In Buena Park) and Disneyland are relatively close together by car, but more than a few minutes away from each other.

Universal Studios and Hollywood Boulevard are relatively close together by car, but it's still a bit of a drive (maybe 15-20 minutes or so) to get to Universal City.

You could feasibly do L.A./Hollywood and Venice Beach on the same day. You could maybe drive from Hollywood to Santa Monica, perhaps, and see the famous Santa Monica Pier (if that interests you) and then over to Venice Beach.

Some other suggestions:

You could visit the (Original) Farmers Market & The Grove (they are adjacent to each other, at the corner of Third Street and Fairfax) in L.A. - which are both great places to eat, and also places where you can often see celebrities strolling around.

There's also the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) and the La Brea Tar Pits - which are adjacent to each other. They are within a few minutes of Farmers Market and The Grove, by car.

Another suggestion is Long Beach - which is kind of in between L.A./Hollywood and Anaheim/Disneyland (but it's part of L.A. County). It's maybe 20 minutes by car from Anaheim, and 25 minutes from Hollywood/Beverly Hills.

In Long Beach you can visit the Queen Mary, the Long Beach Aquarium, and perhaps hop on the Catalina Express for a day trip over to the beautiful Avalon/Catalina Island (which is my other favorite place in Southern California besides Disneyland!) for some buffalo sightings, flying fish tours, dolphin tours - or maybe just a ride in a golf cart for a few hours.

Anyway, good luck with your planning! Have fun!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
fortwildernessishome
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post

2. Yosemite and Sequoia National Park - I have been to every continent in the world except Antartica and many countries and beautiful places - but IMO Yosemite is the most beautiful place in the world. Combine it with a trip to nearby Sequoia. These are 6-8 hours away from DLR by car. Altogether maybe 4 days (3 Yosemite and 1 Sequoia). Stay in Yosemite Valley and make reservations early. See http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/where.htm. I promise you if you go to the Grand Canyon (can't miss that - I agree) and then Yosemite you will feel that Yosemite was way better in the end.

Hope that helps!
I just have to say that I am in total agreement about Yosemite!!!! I also think that Yosemite is the most beautiful place in the world. I had seen pictures before we went, but was completely blown away when we visited two years ago and I saw the sights in person. We loved it so much we are going back this summer. We also loved Sequoia and are going back there as well! We have also been to the Grand Canyon and while that was AMAZING for sure, there is NOTHING like Yosemite!!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:03 AM   #24
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Hi Neil . . . can you arrange your flights from the UK to either SFO and then return to the UK from LAS? That could save you a lot of driving in your two weeks.

Or consider just doing California . . . SF, drive south along the coast, LA area, drive back to SF via Yosemite.

Have you plugged your prefered places to visit into Mapquest.com (or similar)? It seems like you plan on spending a lot of time on the road.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #25
Neil_UK
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Tripss View Post
Hi Neil . . . can you arrange your flights from the UK to either SFO and then return to the UK from LAS? That could save you a lot of driving in your two weeks.

Or consider just doing California . . . SF, drive south along the coast, LA area, drive back to SF via Yosemite.

Have you plugged your prefered places to visit into Mapquest.com (or similar)? It seems like you plan on spending a lot of time on the road.
that's pretty much the plan
we are defnately going to fly into San Francisco, and fly home from Las Vegas. Just still undecided as to whether we will drive or fly between SF and LA. It's more likely that we will fly. We definately want to drive between LA and Vegas though.

I have indeed put the plan on Mapquest.. I know what you mean about a lot of driving. We just want to experiance the drive if it's worth it. Looking at the San Francisco area I don't think we will need a car.
But we will definately hire a car whilst we are in LA.

Thanks to everyone else for the input about places to visit.
We are definately considering Yosemite.
Still planning to do Six Flags as I am quite a rollercoaster fan!
The Disney Musuem is also now on the list, as well as Alcatraz.
Santa Monica Pier also sounds like a good one too!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #26
Neil_UK
Earning My Ears

Hellooo..

Sorry to keep bringing this one up.. Still planning away

Just nailing down the first part of my trip around San Francisco.
Can anyone please recommend how many days I will need there for what I'll be doing?

Planning on seeing Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf area, Disney Musuem, and Golden Gate Bridge.

Would there be a day where I can squeeze in two places? Or will all of the above need two days each?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #27
DisneylandForever
At Walt's in DLP

Quote:
Just nailing down the first part of my trip around San Francisco. Can anyone please recommend how many days I will need there for what I'll be doing?

Planning on seeing Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf area, Disney Musuem, and Golden Gate Bridge.
If that's all you plan on seeing in SF, you wouldn't need more than 2 days. See below.

Quote:
Would there be a day where I can squeeze in two places? Or will all of the above need two days each?
You can definitely pull "two-fers" here thanks to the proximity of the places you've chosen.

1) Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf: The Wharf area is mostly shopping, with a few attractions and overpriced restaurants mixed in. The seafood is great but expect to pay a little more. So basically you can go at your own pace here. You can do the whole Wharf in an hour or two, or meander all day. And you catch the ferry to Alcatraz in Fisherman's Wharf, so that works out nicely.

Side note--If you do Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 and still have time leftover, walk just past the Wharf down to Ghiradelli Square. Best chocolate this side of the Atlantic. Really good ice cream shop there as well.

2) Disney Museum and Golden Gate Bridge: These can easily be done in one day. I actually volunteer at the Museum (if I'm there when you are be sure to say hello!), and we usually tell people around 2 hours for the casual visitor, and at least 4 for the hardcore Disney fan. But even if you were super hardcore, it still closes at 6pm.

The Golden Gate is pretty much right behind the museum. Check out this photo. That said, I wouldn't walk there. But if you have a car, it's like 3 minutes away.

And if you do have a car, the Museum is not far from here.

If you have any more San Fran questions, post away!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #28
Neil_UK
Earning My Ears

Thank you soooo much for that, that's really helpful!
Looks like phase 1 of the trip is pretty much planned

We are not going to have a car whilst in this area, so getting to/from the musuem and the bridge will be local transport/taxi.

We are going to walk the bridge - I've overheard some nice gardens at one side of the bridge, good for photos and views of the bridge. Do you know anything about this?
How long do you reckon we'd need to the bridge?

That windy road looks pretty awesome, might have to try and get some snaps of that!!

Thanks again.. I know it's such a long way off but I'll be updating things here nearer the time Imagine, so if you are still working there next year I'll be sure to let you know and say hi!!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
DisneylandForever
At Walt's in DLP

Quote:
Thank you soooo much for that, that's really helpful!
My pleasure. I live in SF so it's definitely not a big deal.

Quote:
We are not going to have a car whilst in this area, so getting to/from the musuem and the bridge will be local transport/taxi.

We are going to walk the bridge - I've overheard some nice gardens at one side of the bridge, good for photos and views of the bridge. Do you know anything about this?
How long do you reckon we'd need to the bridge?
Okay. There is a path to the bridge. It's about 20 or 30 minutes on foot. Yeah the area you're referring to is where the main parking lot is. There's a statue of the Bridge's chief designer, Joseph Strauss. There's also a sample of a cable span on display, with a few fascinating factoids on a sign above it. There's a coffee shop and a gift shop, and on the walkway to the Bridge itself, a nice little section that is well landscaped.

Um, not too long. Sometimes it can be pretty windy up there, so have a good jacket. You have the option to walk across the entire Bridge if you want. There are plenty of photo ops while up there. Just be careful of cyclists. When I take any out of town visitors to the GG we usually stay about an hour or so. Maybe two if you want to walk across the entire span.

Quote:
That windy road looks pretty awesome, might have to try and get some snaps of that!!

Thanks again.. I know it's such a long way off but I'll be updating things here nearer the time Imagine, so if you are still working there next year I'll be sure to let you know and say hi!!
If you make it to the crooked section of Lombard street, there is a walkway there as well. It's pretty cool, and in between Fisherman's Wharf and the Disney Museum.

Sure thing! Any time you have questions just post them. And, cool! Just look for the tall goofy guy who looks like the dude in my avatar.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #30
Nahanni
Mouseketeer

Car rental - SFO to LAX San Diego

I hope you don't mind me inserting a question here - I think it may help OP as well.

Does anyone know of any discounted one way car rentals from SFO to LAX or San Diego? I priced a minvan over $1500 for 2 weeks.
Nahanni is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: