Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #31
Navychica
Mouseketeer

Omg! I'm so excited I found your TR! I'm planning a trip for after my upcoming deployment, and I'm so worried about getting hotel reservations plus ADRs on short notice. Did you consider staying at Shades of Green? Did you plan far in advance and just hope for the best, or did you do everything once you knew for sure you were going? I hate how, in the military, leave can be cancelled last minute and you can't make definite plans!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #32
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Location: ...just beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel11 View Post
Count me in!!I live in NC also!!1
That's so cool that you're from NC too! Where in NC do you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak508 View Post
Ahhh yay I'm so excited that you started this trip report.

LOL that's a wonderful trip report title explanation. I can't believe you didn't know you were officially going until Christmas Eve! Ahh that's crazy!

Omg they filmed the Hunger Games right near you guys!? That's INSANE!!! That series is literally a phenomenon. I haven't read it yet but I really should!

Aww yayy you're so excited! EEEEEE DISNEY!

Mmmm fake pastries. Yummm....?

YAYYYYY DISNEY!
Thanks! I'm excited to do it- it was a really great trip with awesome memories, like meeting you!

It was SO stressful not knowing. I had basically accepted the fact that I was going to have to cancel the trip and lose $200. I was so bummed. And then when I found out we were going it was crazy trying to get ready! It was all worth it though!

Yeah they filmed it in this place called Asheville which is in the mountains near my house. It's so cool! You need to read those books! They're amazing!

I was so excited! I couldn't believe we were actually going!

Haha that pastry was pathetic...poor Svenhard. He needs to find another job.

DISNEY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmama3 View Post
I am really enjoying your Disney trip updates!! Cracking me up! Also, I teach 6th grade Literacy, so totally can relate to your nerdiness and Tower of Terror wait! haha!
Thank you! I'm so glad you're enjoying it! Haha I'm glad someone else can relate to my nerdiness! Maybe it's a teacher thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrance View Post
Great update! I agree about non-Disney hotels -- they're so bland when you're used to (or heading to) Disney!

That's cool about the Hunger Games being filmed near you! My co-worker went to high school where they filmed the school scenes in Twilight and said it was weird to see it in the movie. Anywho, looking forward to the next installment, though the not-so-pleasant surprise doesn't sound fun!
Thanks! Non Disney hotels are the worst!

That's so neat that your coworker went to high school there! I can imagine that would be weird. I think most of the scenes for the Hunger Games that were filmed in NC were filmed outdoors, so I won't really be able to recognize anything. It's still exciting, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
I know how you feel! I get like that when I'm super excited too! My stomach just won't settle.

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THE HUNGER GAMES!! I loved the books... so addicting. And the movie looks amazing! 8 more days!!!

Love your Minnie Ears! Mine broke in my suitcase on the way home from WDW. They were just cheap ones I got at the Disney Outlet but I loved em! Oh well... can't say I hate having an excuse to buy more.

OMG I totally agree. The prices in Sephora are just ridiculous...and of course there are SO MANY things I want in there!

It's funny how blah regular hotels seem compared to Disney. Don't ya just hate staying in places that don't have Hidden Mickeys? Boring!

YAYYYY you're at Disney!!! Wow, there really is nothing like seeing those gates. Can't wait for the next update!
Ughh aren't nervous stomachs the worst? I hate it!

I love the books too!! Peeta is my favorite! I can't wait for the movie either! YAY!

I'm sorry about your Minnie ears, but now you can pick out cute new ones on your next trip!

Sephora is so frustrating because they have SO many amazing things! The only think I've found that's even partially affordable is the travel sized stuff, but it only lasts like a week. GRRR!

Hahaha yes, any hotel without Hidden Mickeys is boring in my book too!

Those gates truly are one of the most beautiful sights on earth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy161 View Post
for the Golden Girls reference - one of my faves! I too have a super weak stomach and - regardless of the emotion I'm having - get nauseous too! Anyway, SO looking forward to hearing about your arrival to Disney!!!
Haha thank! I love the Golden Girls too! A few Halloweens ago my whole family and I dressed as them. My mom was Sophia, my sister was Blanche, I was Rose, and my DAD was Dorothy. It was hysterical!

Another nervous stomach! Ughh I hate it! It always messes me up at first when I leave for Disney.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #33
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak616 View Post
Ahhh YAY new trip report new TRIP REPORT!!!! Please excuse me while I do my happy dance.

That is a very interesting title explanation...and one I can completely relate to, what with the whole "pale" thing. You don't look pale in your intro picture! And in John's....he's making the deer face.

HAHAHA I love the first update title. How clever. :P

WOW! That hotel is BEAUTIFUL. Why would you ever want to leave? *hehe*

Ugh, yes. Sephora is the inaccessible heaven. SO pricey!!

I CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE!!!
YAY! I'm so glad you're here!!!

Thanks! I didn't think I looked too pale when I came back, but I guess my coworker expected me to look like I'd been to Cancun. HAHA I just noticed that he was making the deer face! I'm really nerdy/excited because I made my first intentional deer face on this trip and I have photographic evidence!

Seriously, it was so cozy and inviting. It felt like home.

Describing Sephora as the "inaccessible heaven" is PERFECT! So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Okay, your trip journal is just precious!

Oh my gosh! Poor John! That's terrifying. Glad he's okay though! But yes, I definitely understand why you wouldn't do photopass. "These are the pictures from our trip where everyone thought John had been punched a lot."

Hahah aww. Long drives can really take a lot out of you! I went to school 8 hours away from home, so I know the feeling. ICK.

Disney resort snobs for LIFE!
HOORAY FOR THE DISNEY GATES OF HEAVEN!!!
Thanks! It's actually been my journal for several trips now, but I love it and can't bring myself to get a new one!

Thanks! Hahaha exactly...we didn't want to have to explain away the black eyes! It looks like Goofy had been beating up on him!

Yeah long drives are NO fun! Wow, eight hours from home, I bet that was hard! I was only an hour and half from home and that was still a hassle!

That's right! Snobs for life!

YESSS! I was so excited about those gates!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209Disney View Post
Excited to read another one of your trip reports!
Thank you! I'm glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Yay another trip report! Joining in for this one as well

Great start and yay on getting a pic of that sign. Oh no on a not so nice surprise awaiting you on check in - that doesn't sound very pleasant
I'm so glad you're here, Tanz!

Thanks! Yeah I will be posting about that surprise later today. Nothing too bad, but it did affect our trip later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I love those Minnie ears, I have the same ones! I'm already wondering what Minnie ears I should bring in May...either those or the silver ones...I'm also wondering if I should bring my bride ears down there, I feel weird wearing them but it's an anniversary trip, right? Hmmm...

I freakin love Sephora SO much! I hardly ever buy anything there though, I always get so overwhelmed and want everything there, and can't decide on just one or two things!

That hotel is really miserable looking! I've become a total Disney hotel snob too, a hotel just isn't good enough anymore unless you have access to some kind of Disney park when you step outside of it!

Poor Svenhard, that pastry looks pathetic! Hope you got to have something that was made with Disney magic when you got there!
Those are my favorite Minnie ears because they're so comfortable. Awww I think you should wear your bride ears! I see lots of anniversary people wearing them!

Sephora is amazing! It is like sensory overload when you go in, though. So much to choose from! I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive!

Haha yeah that hotel was bad. I think after this past trip I'm realizing that I am a semi Disney hotel snob. When I write about our ASMo experience that will make more sense!

Haha Svenhard needs to seek another career because that thing was NASTY! Disney food is just around the corner!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #34
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLouLovesPooh View Post
Love your Minnie ears! I have the same ones!
Thanks! They're so cute and comfy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzd View Post
Really enjoyed Your Previous TRs found them browsing through the completed TR looking to live vicariously through others Disney adventures. I have to say I really enjoy your style. So happy to be on board for this one. Are you still going to finish your previous TR?
Thank you! I'm so glad you are enjoying reading my adventures! I will definitely be finishing my other one! I will be posting an update for both later today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
Love your writing style! Fun TR already I love your Disney journal - where did you find that?
Thank you so much! I'm glad you are enjoying it!

I got the journal at the Disney store outlet last year. Check disneystore.com because they always have really cute journals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
I'm following!!

I'm pale all the time too!! And I don't have a problem with it!!

It must have been so nerve wracking not knowing for sure if you were going to be able to go!

Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Pale is beautiful! I think I will adopt that as my motto!

It was so stressful! It was like I couldn't really let myself get excited until I knew for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navychica View Post
Omg! I'm so excited I found your TR! I'm planning a trip for after my upcoming deployment, and I'm so worried about getting hotel reservations plus ADRs on short notice. Did you consider staying at Shades of Green? Did you plan far in advance and just hope for the best, or did you do everything once you knew for sure you were going? I hate how, in the military, leave can be cancelled last minute and you can't make definite plans!
That is wonderful that you're going to Disney after your deployment. What time of year are you planning on going? If it's not during one of the peak seasons you shouldn't have a hard time making your plans, even if it is short notice. We have considered SoG before, but I love the other resorts' theming so much that we always stay at one of them. Their rates are really good too with the military disount. Deluxe resorts are 40% off!

Yeah, I planned far in advance and just hoped for the best. That's pretty muc what I do every trip because of the military. You're right, I hate how leave gets cancelled/changed. It's not easy for us Disney planners!

Thank you for your service to our country! If anyone deserves a trip to Disney, it's you!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #35
emma212010
DIS Veteran

Hi! I'm so joining in!! Looks like a lot of fun! Oh and "The Creep?" sooooooo funny!!!!! I'm the same way with taking pictures of EVERYTHING!!!! can't wait to read more!!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
Old 03-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #36
JLCJMC
Mouseketeer

Hope you don't mind another follower . I came over from your other report -- very entertaining and I always love hearing about other people who think going to Disney multiple times in a year makes perfect sense
Old 03-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #37
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

So glad that you were able to go on your trip. Looking forward to another one of your TR's.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #38
Navychica
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussells08 View Post
That is wonderful that you're going to Disney after your deployment. What time of year are you planning on going? If it's not during one of the peak seasons you shouldn't have a hard time making your plans, even if it is short notice. We have considered SoG before, but I love the other resorts' theming so much that we always stay at one of them. Their rates are really good too with the military disount. Deluxe resorts are 40% off!

Yeah, I planned far in advance and just hoped for the best. That's pretty muc what I do every trip because of the military. You're right, I hate how leave gets cancelled/changed. It's not easy for us Disney planners!

Thank you for your service to our country! If anyone deserves a trip to Disney, it's you!
Thanks! Right now, it's either late January/early February or late February/early March. My husband is most definitely not the Disney Type-A planner that I am, so I'm trying to make lots of lists and plan everything out for him before I leave next month! A lot of it will depend on what military rates they're offering when we end up going. We qualify for Florida resident discounts too, so I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the cheapest way will be a year from now! As it is, I'm leaving a list of all the ADRs I'm hoping for with my husband, and he'll make them for both of the possible weeks, and cancel the ones we don't use. I'm giving him my choice hotel along with 2 backups, plus a list of restaurants that is WAY too long for us to ever conquer in a week if we tried lol. He enjoys Disney but just wants me to do the planning. I have his very short list of "must-do's", and other than that, he just wants to do what I want to do. He's pretty awesome like that.

I'm so glad your trip worked out, and I can't wait to hear more!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #39
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Another NC girl here, looks like this is gong to be a lot of fun!!!

Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #40
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
Hi! I'm so joining in!! Looks like a lot of fun! Oh and "The Creep?" sooooooo funny!!!!! I'm the same way with taking pictures of EVERYTHING!!!! can't wait to read more!!
Hahaha I'm glad I'm not the only picture taking creep! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCJMC View Post
Hope you don't mind another follower . I came over from your other report -- very entertaining and I always love hearing about other people who think going to Disney multiple times in a year makes perfect sense
OF COURSE I don't mind another follower! I love followers! I'm so glad you enjoy my TRs! Oh I absolutely believe that- the more trips per year, the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
So glad that you were able to go on your trip. Looking forward to another one of your TR's.
Thanks! I was ecstatic that we were able to go too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navychica View Post
Thanks! Right now, it's either late January/early February or late February/early March. My husband is most definitely not the Disney Type-A planner that I am, so I'm trying to make lots of lists and plan everything out for him before I leave next month! A lot of it will depend on what military rates they're offering when we end up going. We qualify for Florida resident discounts too, so I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the cheapest way will be a year from now! As it is, I'm leaving a list of all the ADRs I'm hoping for with my husband, and he'll make them for both of the possible weeks, and cancel the ones we don't use. I'm giving him my choice hotel along with 2 backups, plus a list of restaurants that is WAY too long for us to ever conquer in a week if we tried lol. He enjoys Disney but just wants me to do the planning. I have his very short list of "must-do's", and other than that, he just wants to do what I want to do. He's pretty awesome like that.

I'm so glad your trip worked out, and I can't wait to hear more!
I don't think you'll have any trouble getting the reservations you want during that time! It sounds like you've made booking the trip pretty full proof for your husband! He sounds very awesome! That's how John is on a trip- he pretty much just goes with the flow.

Thank you! I'm so glad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Another NC girl here, looks like this is gong to be a lot of fun!!!

YAY! It's so awesome that you're from NC too!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you as well! Thank you for the adorable Eeyore! I love him!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #41
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Let's Go To the Movies! All Star Movies, That Is!

Hi everyone! Thank you to all my friends –old and new- who have joined me on my new TR! It’s so nice having you all read along! Oh, and happy St. Patrick’s Day! I decided I would do this post in green so no one would pinch me.

December 28, 2011

When I left off we were just driving under that big beautiful PERFECT Disney World sign! We were there! We made it! After the months of wondering and hoping, we actually got to go! It was so nice having John home with me period, but having him home and being in our favorite place on Earth was almost like awesome overload.

We made our way straight to our resort so we could check in before heading to a park. It wasn’t even 11 o’clock, so we figured our room wouldn't be ready yet, but we thought we’d give it a try anyway!

Can I just say how grateful I was for this gorgeous weather?! If you remember from my December 2010 TR, I spent most of the trip so cold that I felt like random body parts were going to start falling off. This time around it was warm and sunny- the perfect weather for a first day at Disney!

We went inside and were happy to see a very short check-in line! The CM that helped us was super nice! She asked if we were celebrating anything, and I told her John had just gotten home from a deployment. She gave us each an “I’m Celebrating!” button. She wrote on them for us, and his said “being home” and mine said “having him home.” SO CUTE. I loved her, but apparently not enough to write her name down in my TR journal. Whoopsie!

Next she sprinkled a little pixie dust on us and gave us two pieces of good news! First, we were granted our request for a king room! WOO HOO! And second, our room was ready!! I danced a little jig (I’m being serious- I literally danced in the lobby of ASMo) and we headed off to our room!

We were in a preferred room in the Fantasia building.

Our room was right next to the pool, which would have been really convenient in the summer, but I didn’t really have any intention of swimming this trip. It still turned out to be pretty neat because they showed movies in the evening right next to the pool so it was about five feet from our door!

Here’s our view of the pool:

We were in room 8762!

Awww yeah! King sized bed! If you’re wondering about my obsession in all of my TRs with king beds, please keep in mind that my husband is eight million feet tall and kicks like a mule when he’s asleep. I need all the room I can get.

Towel Mickey!

This looks like a perfect place for some STACEY!

Here’s a close up of our other towel creation- a Christmas wreath!

So at this point in our room exploration everything was going swimmingly. We were able to check in early, we had an awesome room location, a king sized bed, and not one but TWO towel creations. I was beyond thrilled with everything…until I went in the bathroom.

My immediate reaction was “Whaa…?” because I was completely confused. Then I realized that we were in a handicap accessible room. This would not have been a big deal AT ALL, except I am really big on taking baths. Long story short, I have a long standing health thing that makes my muscles weaker than normal, so I tend to be a little sore by the end of the day, especially when I’m being really active. It’s not a big deal, but I like to take hot baths in the evenings to relax my muscles. I called the lobby and asked if we could be switched to a regular room, but the lady on the phone told me we would have to give up our preferred room and king sized bed. I didn’t know this, but apparently the only rooms at ASMo with king sized beds are handicap accessible rooms. I really wasn’t happy about not having a bath tub, but John really seemed to like our location and I knew how hard it would be to give up that big bed, so I sucked it up and said it would be okay. Now, if you remember from my first post and the where portion of the introduction, you’ll know this didn’t last. However, there’s more reasons for why we switched resorts, so I’ll get to that later!

Despite my unhappiness with the tub-less bathroom, I was still ecstatic just to be in Disney! Plus our room was really cute. Look at these adorable coat hooks!

In case you were wondering just how ecstatic I was, here’s some photographic evidence!

After we finished checking out the room we decided to go to the food court and grab some lunch before going to our first park of the trip! On our way there I took a few more pictures. John posed in front of our building!

The pool looked so inviting!

Everyone was out enjoying the beautiful weather in the parks, so the food courts was nice and empty!

I decided to get an Italian sandwich for lunch. For a side I got some kind of Greek cucumber salad. For my dessert I got a chocolate chip cookie!

The sandwich was really good! It was huge though, and the bread was really dense, so I was only able to eat about half! The cucumber salad was very yummy! I ate almost all of it. The cookie was okay, but not great. It was really hard. Despite that, it was still better than Svenhard’s berry horn!

John went with one of his favorites, the chicken penne alfredo. He got a chocolate muffin for dessert.

He said everything was really good. He was really hungry too, so I’m pretty sure he ate every bite!

Overall it was a pretty good meal! We were just thrilled to be eating DISNEY FOOD again! It was so wonderful being back in the place where even the worst food is better than regular non-Disney food!

Up next: We head to the first park of the trip! Which one will it be? Stay tuned!

Last edited by therussells08; 03-18-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #42
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Yeah for being at Disney!!

That is such a bummer on the rooms not having a tub!! I've never taken a bath in a hotel in a regular tub (I'm too big...) but my husband and I like to use the hot tub at the end of the day to relax. This is the main reason we stayed at CBR the first time. I wanted to guarantee a King bed and finding out we could use the hot tub even late at night was a bonus! Its a bummer that the values don't have hot tubs!!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #43
PlutosRHM55
Pluto's Un-Mentioned Manager

Location: Amongst the thousand happy haunts beginning to materialize, but suffering a disquieting metamorphosis... Your cadaverous pallor portrays an aura of foreboding, you know?

I'm here Joni! Sorry I'm late, but I've arrived nonetheless. Can't wait to hear all about this latest trip!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #44
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Yay for getting your requests at ASMovies! That CM was so sweet! I love CM's that really go out of their way to make your stay a little more magical! Of course, I never write their names down in my TR notes either!

Your room actually looks really cute! I've heard such terrible things about Movies, but it looks nice! That's too bad about the tub though, the bathroom looks really, really strange without one!

Yay for Disney food! I love that Chicken Penne Alfredo, it's one of my favorite things to eat at Disney now! Like, I'd drive myself all the way to Pop just to eat that!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #45
emma212010
DIS Veteran

Oh I looooovvveeee Disney food!!! I'm glad the CM was nice who checked you in!! That is always helpful and it makes you that much happier to be there! I'm happy you finally made it, but no tub?? I'm sorry!! Hopefully it all works out. I can't wait to hear about your first park!!!!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: