DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
TigerLaw
DIS Veteran

My One More Disney Day AND MORE Photo Trip Report (FINAL UPDATE!)

This trip report could be subtitled “FOUR PARKS IN TWO DAYS - ARE YOU NUTS?!?” but its not, I will get to that stuff later I promise. (nice trip report tease don’t you think?? ) First allow me to set the scene...

The Cast:

Myself, Michael, 17th visit to WDW / DL (Disney fanatic for years). My wife decided to sit this one out - something about not wanting to be in a disney park for 24 hours.....???? :

Yeah, I know I should have made some kind of sweeping arm gesture or something cool instead of just standing there, but I was sorta in a state of shock - that was the first time I could ever get a picture like that while MK was open w/o anyone else in it!

The Time:

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 to March 1, 2012.

The Resort:

All Star Movies (I KNOW, WHERE IS THE DVC YOU ASK?) Basically, since this was a spur of the moment short trip, I decided to do it on the cheap. Additionally, since the whole point was to be in MK for the 24 hour event, didn’t really see the point of using up DVC points.

The Disney Family History:

My wife Melissa and I first went to WDW in September, 2000. Since then we have gone every year at least once. Highlights of the different trips include Melissa surprised me with a mini-vacation to WDW for my 30th birthday and going to Disneyland for the 50th anniversary festivities. 2009 was a great year for us in terms of Disney - we went to WDW twice (first in May, then in July) and I got to go to Disneyland in the fall as part of work trip to California.

The Planning:

This trip was not one of our usual “lets think it out months in advance” type of trips. One reason of course was that the One More Disney Day (“OMDD”) event wasn’t even announced until new years eve. After it was announced, Melissa and I talked about whether we should go for a mini vacation together and then me just do the 24 hours on my own (and we even started some brief trip planning) but we decided against it. Another main reason was we were already planning on a July trip for my 40th birthday and then another trip for the xmas holidays, so no OMDD trip for us...... or so I thought.

A couple weeks or so before the OMDD took place, I started getting the itch to go again. I think a lot of was when they finally announced some of the details like what would be special about it, how the rides would remain open, etc. By then it was too late for Melissa to take off work, so after some tough negotiations and begging I was graciously allowed to go out on my own!

In terms of the actual planning, the over-arching goal pre-trip was to get there as cheap as possible. I found a decently-priced trip from St. Louis to Orlando w. a lay over in Atlanta and got a good deal on a rental car. Initially I was going to do the magical express pick up for the first time, but after I booked the airfare, I remembered that I still had an annual pass at Universal : thanks to our vacation last may, so I decided to rent a car instead so I could head over to Universal straight from the airport (How cool is that!)

Otherwise, the “plan of attack” was:

1. Spend the day before OMDD at universal to hit both parks as much as I could,

2. Then head over to bum aroound Downtown Disney before checking in to ASM for a good night’s rest.

3. Get up super early on the 29th and head over to MK for the OMDD opening;

4. Hang out at MK for a couple hours and then head over to MGM for a bit before trying t take a quick nap back at the hotel;

5. Then head back into MK and stay there until the park closed;

6. come back to ASM, get another quick nap before heading home.

As you will soon learn (and as I am sure most disney trip planners already know) nothing ever goes totally to plan on a disney trip, but even if something goes wrong, you are still in the happiest place on earth right?!?

Before I begin the trip report in earnest, one quick (or maybe not-so-quick) explanation is in order. I did not stay in MK the full 24 hours and never planned to. Initially in fact, my idea was to use this time to try to pull off a “4 parks in 1 day” result, but when I looked at what I was planning to do at Epcot and AK, it just seemed like a lot of effort just to gain the “title”. Besides, magic kingdom was the point of this anyway, right? So in the end, I did compromise and decided to just hit MGM basically b/c I wanted to try out the new version of Star Tours, which I hadn’t been on yet. I decided also that I had to take a break sometime or I would not be able to last during the overnight, so I decided to make it the afternoon to try to break up the 24 hours a bit.

Finally, instead of trying to obtain the “4 parks in 1 day” title belt I decided to go after another title. In the planning for the trip, I came across KennythePirate’s website, which was beyond helpful. It was there where I learned the ultimate touring challenges where you try to hit every ride, show, attraction, etc. in the parks. In looking it over, I decided to do a modified version where I would try to hit every major attraction in MK, but wouldn’t worry about the piano player, the flag retreat ceremony etc.

To that end, this will be my first trip report where I do a counter on each MK ride/show/attraction. I am going to mark these “MK1, MK2" etc. and then do the same for all the characters I saw, with a character I took a picture with counting as one (“C1, C2" etc. ) and a character I just took a picture of counting as one half.

Now that all that’s taken care of, disney here I come!!!!

Sept. 2000 - Caribbean Beach & All Star Movies / Nov. & Dec. 2001 - Caribbean Beach / July, 2002 - Dolphin (30th Birthday trip!) / Oct. 2002 - Polynesian / Sept. 2003 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club / May, 2004 - Hard Rock Hotel / Nov. & Dec., 2004 - Hard Rock & Boardwalk Inn / Dec. 2005 - Disneyland 50th Anniversary trip at Grand Californian / Sept. 2006 - Beach Club / May 2007 - 4 Night cruise on Disney Wonder (our first cruise ever!) and 3 nights at WDW (Beach Club) / Fall, 2007 - Became owners at Beach Club Villas / Nov. & Dec. 2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (concierge level!) & Beach Club / Feb. 2008 - Hard Rock Hotel & Portofino Bay / Sept. 2008 - Polynesian & Beach Club Villas (Our first time at our DVC home!) / May, 2009 - Polynesian & Beach Club Villas / July, 2009 - Old Key West / Oct. 2009- Disneyland - Paradise Pier / May, 2010 - Bay Lake Tower & Beach Club Villas May 2011 - Hard Rock Hotel / Feb 2012 One More Disney Day (ASM)/ July, 2012 - Beach Club Villas (40th B-Day trip) / Nov. 2012 - Beach Club Villas

My One Disney Day AND MORE Trip Report
Our Drama-Filled May 2010 Bay Lake & Beach Club Trip Report
--- Our 4th of July, My Bday, 1st Time at OKW Trip Report
Our 2nd Time Home (BCV) Very Rainy May Trip Report --- First Time Coming Home to BCV Trip Report
Doin' Disney Holiday Style Trip Report

Last edited by TigerLaw; 04-05-2012 at 10:23 AM.
TigerLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
SusieBea
DIS Veteran

I'm in ...
Off-site '75, 82, 85; 89: CBR; 92: PO: 93: Disney Inn; 94: OKW(2); 95: OKW(2); 96: HHI & OKW(2); 97: VB & OKW; 98: OKW(3); 99: OKW, DCL, & BW; 2000: OKW & VWL; 01: HHI & OKW; 02: Ft. Wild. cabins; 03: OKW & GF; 05: OKW, SSR, & Yacht Club; 06: OKW; 07: OKW; 08: Grand Californian; 09: OKW; 10: OKW(2) & OKW Grand Villa! 2011: AKV (2) & OKW (3); 2012: OKW (2) & OKW Grand Villa; 2013: OKW (3); 2014: BLT & Kidani; VGF & OKW; UPCOMING TRIPS: - 2014: SSR & OKW - December
SusieBea is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
sarahk0204
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLaw View Post
The Time:

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 to May 1, 2012.
I think you meant March 1, right? Otherwise, it would be "Two More Disney Months" Although, wouldn't that be nice?

Looking forward to more!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
TigerLaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahk0204 View Post
I think you meant March 1, right? Otherwise, it would be "Two More Disney Months" Although, wouldn't that be nice?

Looking forward to more!
How awesome would that be?!? And for our DVC purposes, how many points?!?

Thanks for the catch.

Sept. 2000 - Caribbean Beach & All Star Movies / Nov. & Dec. 2001 - Caribbean Beach / July, 2002 - Dolphin (30th Birthday trip!) / Oct. 2002 - Polynesian / Sept. 2003 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club / May, 2004 - Hard Rock Hotel / Nov. & Dec., 2004 - Hard Rock & Boardwalk Inn / Dec. 2005 - Disneyland 50th Anniversary trip at Grand Californian / Sept. 2006 - Beach Club / May 2007 - 4 Night cruise on Disney Wonder (our first cruise ever!) and 3 nights at WDW (Beach Club) / Fall, 2007 - Became owners at Beach Club Villas / Nov. & Dec. 2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (concierge level!) & Beach Club / Feb. 2008 - Hard Rock Hotel & Portofino Bay / Sept. 2008 - Polynesian & Beach Club Villas (Our first time at our DVC home!) / May, 2009 - Polynesian & Beach Club Villas / July, 2009 - Old Key West / Oct. 2009- Disneyland - Paradise Pier / May, 2010 - Bay Lake Tower & Beach Club Villas May 2011 - Hard Rock Hotel / Feb 2012 One More Disney Day (ASM)/ July, 2012 - Beach Club Villas (40th B-Day trip) / Nov. 2012 - Beach Club Villas

Our 2nd Time Home (BCV) Very Rainy May Trip Report --- First Time Coming Home to BCV Trip Report
Old 03-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?

Count me in! I can't wait to read more!
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

supersuperwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
thegib95
Mouseketeer

So excited to read this TR

Me DW DD (1.4.11)

Trips: 1982: Mom's Belly | 1992-CB | 1997-PO | 1998-BWV | Summer 1999-BWV | Christmas 1999- BWV | Summer 2001-BW | Summer 2002-YC | Spring 2005-BCV | March 2010- POFQ
September 2012 -- BCV |December 2013-AKL |September 2014-AKL

thegib95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
nickspace
DIS Veteran

Sounds like fun! I hope that you have lots of pictures!

nickspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
TigerLaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickspace View Post
Sounds like fun! I hope that you have lots of pictures!
My bad, I only do one kind of trip report, and that is a PHOTO trip report! I will change the thread title ASAP!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
TigerLaw
DIS Veteran

Tuesday, February 28th

Parks Visited: Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure

Flights down to Orlando were interesting. Usually, we do non-stops, but St. Louis is down to only having Southwest do nonstops, and the prices two weeks out were outrageous, so layovers it is! This was my first time in a long time (if not ever) using Delta, so of course my layover was in Atlanta. Prior to boarding my first plane, I was called ahead of everyone to pre-board, so I was hoping I was upgraded or something cool like that. Turns out, they were giving me extra time to board b /c their records had me down as being blind! that was certainly news to me! I told them I wasn’t blind but they let me board in advance anyway.

Otherwise, nothing too exciting to report. Met a grandmother taking her grandkid to WDW for the first time, so I stayed w. them in ATL to help them to the connecting flight. I can totally see how Hartsfield is the busiest airport in the world! Anyway, after an overpriced airport lunch, I boarded and found out I was in the very last row of like a 50 row plane - Yuck indeed! The agony of waiting to de-plane once we had arrived in Orlando was almost unbearable - didn’t everyone know I had parks to get to?!? The other funny part of my travel was picking up my rental car. I had set it up to use budget’[s fast break counter, but once I got there, I had like a 10 minute wait, so they gave me an SUV upgrade for free. Its here where the phrase about “be careful what you wish for” comes into play as they gave me a Ford Exposition - the biggest tank I had ever driven in my life!

This big, bad dude was a beast to try and park!

Once I figured out how to get into the tank and then actually drive it w/o hitting any other cars in the garage, I headed out to universal and got into the park Around 4pm. (UO had a 6pm close and IOA had a 7 close).

Why thank you for the kind welcome!

I waited for a couple minutes to try to get the sign and coaster linked up, but then I said heck with this - let’s get to the rides!

So I moved on, and this darn kid wouldn’t move out of my picture!

Prior to hitting city walk, I took some pics of the new mini-golf area, which was a couple days away from opening to the public.

Last edited by TigerLaw; 03-13-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
arthur06
DDC #689

Looking forward to your report and all those pics!

November '12 Disneyland/VGC Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2964937

arthur06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
TigerLaw
DIS Veteran

February 28th cont.

Anyway, the plan I had in my head was to do a couple rides each on Rockit and Mumy before closing and then head over to Islands to ride Hulk and Harry Potter. Turns out the park was dead!

There were people on the walkways, just not on the rides, so the four rides I thought would take 2 hours I got done in less than 40 minutes!! Rockit’s single rider was a walk on (and the stand by line didn’t start until the base of the steps and had a 10 minute posted wait) so I got a couple rides in on it:

Five minute single riders line - yes please!

From Rockit, I headed over to Mummy for two more single rider lines which were walkons!

After two rides each on Rockit and Mummy, my motion sickness-challenged stomach was asking for a roller coaster break, so as I left Mummy, I happened upon the start of the Blues Brothers show, so I caught a bit of that before getting a burger at Mel’s Drive In.

Once I was done with dinner, I decided just to head over to Islands, so I got a couple cool pics on the walk over, including pics of Homer and Bart Simpson (C1 and C2):

Who WOULDN’T like a two month long Mardi Gras party?!?

COMING UP: Adventure Time, Islands Style!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?

Great TR so far! love the pics!
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

supersuperwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
sarahk0204
DIS Veteran

Old 03-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
Chellymouse
Dis Veteran

I'm in!! Howdy TigerLaw! Looking forward to the rest of you TR. DH wouldn't let me out for this one since we have 11 days in June and 10 days in Oct booked! I'm so jealous!!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
TigerLaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuperwendy View Post
Great TR so far! love the pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahk0204 View Post
Thanks, goin' get my Islands pics up tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellymouse View Post
I'm in!! Howdy TigerLaw! Looking forward to the rest of you TR. DH wouldn't let me out for this one since we have 11 days in June and 10 days in Oct booked! I'm so jealous!!
CM, trust me, I paid a steep price in terms of "credits" with my wife - I don't think I will be allowed to complain about her purchases for years!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: