Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

What's New?

Well...since I'm still working on organizing our pictures from our Disney movie nights, and past Disney trips, I thought that I would instead share all of the new things that we are looking forward to this summer. Some of them will be new to everyone and some are just new to us.

Before I start with the new (good) things that are happening. I should mention the not so good things too.

Fastpasses--- Although, we never actually utilized fastpasses beyond the fastpass window. One of the things that I had planned when I first booked our July vacation back in January was that since we knew we would be heading back for a rest each day that we could gather fastpasses to use for later that evening. Of course a few weeks later I found that this wouldn’t be possible anymore so I had to change our whole itinerary. UGH…

Snow White is closing--- I knew it was coming but I'm still sad because we never got the chance to experience it especially since DH favorite character is grumpy. But, the boys were never interested and I never pushed which of course now I regret. Official closing May 31st.

Test Track- This is the worst of all! Test track will be closed for refurb this summer. The boys were so disappointed about this because they love this ride. What makes it even worse is that I read somewhere recently that they are running behind on the BTMRR refurb as well and they may postpone the opening of that. Honestly, that was one of the reasons that we decided not to go in April (a very small reason) but it was a factor as the boys and DH absolutely love this ride and we always ride it multiple times every trip. Hopefully it was just a rumor…fingers crossed!!

What's New?

--As you already know....Part of the new Fantasyland will be open (actually it's already opened!) Storybook circus that includes The Great Goofini, Dumbo, and the new Fantasyland train station.

I love that Dumbo has a new water feature around it's base and that it's illuminated at night. It's so pretty! I can't wait to ride it!

--The new Peter Pan interactive queue will be open!

--Art of Animation resort will be open or at least the Finding Nemo wing. This was actually one of the reasons we decided to stay at Pop Century again this trip. We’re hoping that they will have opened the bridge up between the two resorts and we can head over to explore and eat dinner there one evening during the trip.

“Better-for-you” options at five mini shops serving breakfast, lunch and dinner is the overarching theme of the new Landscape of Flavors food court still being tweaked for Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, opening in May. The new restaurant will be adjacent to the lobby.
Highlights from the menu include:
"The Soup-Salad-Sandwich Shop lets you create your own salad (with beef or chicken) and offers a caprese sandwich with fresh mozzarella and tomatoes on focaccia, or a Buffalo-style turkey sandwich with arugula and a blue cheese-Buffalo sauce-mayo spread. Both are served with delish house-made potato chips.

The World Flavors Shop adds Indian-African flair to breakfast, too, with scrambled eggs, tandoor potatoes, Portuguese sausage, slab bacon and a mini-naan; or a veggie flatbread sandwich on naan with cauliflower, spinach and paneer. Lunch and dinner is a choice of tandoori chicken or shrimp, Mongolian beef with vegetables, mahi mahi, Portuguese sausage or roasted acorn squash served with sides and naan bread.

The Pizza Shop features make-your-own pasta, cheese and pepperoni pizzas and meatballs on ciabatta bread. Room delivery is an option, too.
The Burger Shop includes a breakfast burger with chicken breakfast sausage, cheese and scrambled eggs on a multi-grain bun, and a steak-and-eggs breakfast burger with a burger topped with fried eggs, cheese and bacon. Besides the traditional burgers, lunch and dinner includes a surf and turf burger with crab cake and fried popcorn shrimp, and a pastrami cheeseburger topped with pepper jack cheese and a slice of fried green tomato.

The “grab ‘n go” Market Shop offers drinks, yogurt, bagels, pastries, gourmet cupcakes, cookies and gelato.

The food court will be part of the Disney Dining Plan."
(Disney Parks Blog)

--They just announced that Phineas and Ferb will be taking over for Kim Possible Mission in the World Showcase. My boys are so excited for this!! They love Phineas and Ferb. I don’t think there is an official opening date yet but they have confirmed it will be this summer.

"Coming this summer, Disney Phineas & Ferb: Agent P’s World Showcase Adventure is based on the wily secret-agent alter-ego of Perry the Platypus – faithful pet to the title characters from Disney’s animated series “Phineas & Ferb.” Although just a simple pet to Phineas and Ferb, Perry turns into Agent P in each episode to help stop the misguided plans of his nemesis, Dr. Doofenshmirtz.

Epcot guests will transform into secret agents to help Agent P thwart some of Dr. Doofenshmirtz’s most daring plots. Agents will use a “high-tech secret agent device” to receive clues for each case. Solving the clues will take agents to different places throughout seven World Showcase countries at Epcot – Mexico Pavilion, France Pavilion, Germany Pavilion, Norway Pavilion, Japan Pavilion, China Pavilion and the United Kingdom Pavilion. Agents will scour each country for clues, evil “Inators,” and – with a little bit of luck – help Agent P defeat Dr. Doofenshmirtz."

Already happening...but NEW to us!!

--Star Tours is now updated and in 3D-- It will be interesting to check out!

--Magic Memories and You show! I watched this show on You Tube last year when they first debuted it and was so impressed. At the time I didn’t realize they were going to extend into 2012 and was so sad we would miss it. Needless to say I’m thrilled that we are going to be able to see it this summer.

-- Main Street Electrical parade. This is bittersweet for us because I absolutely love Spectromagic and we are always listening to the music but being able to see something new will be fun too.

--We get to visit Mickey and Minnie at their new home in Exposition Hall plus fastpasses are available!

--Sum of all thrills is open in Epcot (not sure the boys will want to ride this but hopefully....)

--Duffy Bear—Noah is anxious to meet him and participate in the Kidcot stations around the World Showcase.

--Phineas and Ferb Meet and Greet at Hollywood Studios- new to us and a must do!!

--Sorcerer of the Magic Kingdom. This sounds like a lot of fun and something I'm sure the boys will really enjoy.

--Winnie the Pooh interactive queue—

Haunted Mansion interactive queue- We are very excited for this as it will be Nick's first time to ride...oh and DH too!! I forgot he didn't ride last time because he sat out with Nick.

*All pictures and info came from wdwinfo and allears.

That's all I can think of right now but let me know if I'm missing anything.

Up Next--What are we celebrating and where are we eating?

Angies1274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #17
andapanda
Mouseketeer

Following along! We'll be at Disney from July 7th-14th.
andapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
vermontgirl
Mouseketeer

Following along, especially since you are a neighbor!. We love Pop because it was the first resort that we ever stayed in too! Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

We are going from 7/31-8/10, a little worried about heat, rain, humidity....but like you, it's what worked best for our family. Here's hoping that our DH won't melt! DD's are in 7th grade and I am a school nurse, so no more sneaking to the World at off season times....oh well! Anytime at Disney is a happy time for me! Can't wait to read more!

vermontgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #19
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Wow! I didn't realize how many "new" things there were until you started naming them off. I just posted about the new interactive queue in the Pooh line and I'll be posting soon about the new queue at Haunted Mansion too. I've read the rumor about Test Track closing but haven't seen anything official yet. I'm hoping that they decide not to close it until a slower time of the year.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andapanda View Post
Following along! We'll be at Disney from July 7th-14th.
I'm glad you joined in!!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #21
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post
Following along, especially since you are a neighbor!. We love Pop because it was the first resort that we ever stayed in too! Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

We are going from 7/31-8/10, a little worried about heat, rain, humidity....but like you, it's what worked best for our family. Here's hoping that our DH won't melt! DD's are in 7th grade and I am a school nurse, so no more sneaking to the World at off season times....oh well! Anytime at Disney is a happy time for me! Can't wait to read more!

Hi neighbor! Glad you joined in!

I know what you mean...school breaks work best for us too. Although, it would be nice to be able to go during off times. I guess we'll just deal with the crowds, heat and rain. On the bright side, we are looking forward to spending more time at the resort and especially being able to enjoy the pools.

I agree!!! I'd rather be at Disney...it doesn't matter when it is!!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #22
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Wow! I didn't realize how many "new" things there were until you started naming them off. I just posted about the new interactive queue in the Pooh line and I'll be posting soon about the new queue at Haunted Mansion too. I've read the rumor about Test Track closing but haven't seen anything official yet. I'm hoping that they decide not to close it until a slower time of the year.

I know!! Isn't it crazy? I can't believe all the "new" things. I'll have to go check out your post about the interactive queue for Pooh. I can't wait to see it in person!

I'm glad to hear that Test Track's closing isn't official. The last I read it was going down from April to September. But, they haven't posted an official date. Maybe they will decide to postpone. I can't believe that they would refurb such a popular ride during the summer months when it's so busy.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #23
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

What a great list of new things to do!

Great idea to stay at Pop to get a closer look at AoA! I can't wait to see pictures once it opens.

We too are sad about Test Track... BTMRR is going to be closed for us too!

I'm excited for the Kim Possible missions to change to Phineas & Ferb too - we've almost done them all so a new theme will be great. And my kids have no idea who Kim Possible is so P&F will be a welcome addition for them.

Can't wait to hear more about your plans.
DisMomAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #24
Idontwanttogrowup
Mouseketeer

I joined in! I love your trip reports!
I too am upset about Test Track because I love that ride. Im hoping they delay the closing since I will be there from April 16-27.
December 7-19 2007: Surprise Trip-Stayed in All Star Music in Jazz.
April 14-May 3 2008: Anniversary/Bday Trip-Stayed in Pop Century. 60s Era.
Aug. 20- Sept 3rd- Stayed in All Star Sports. Surfing section, then Animal Kingdom Lodge for 1 night & the rest of the vacation Port Orleans:French Quarter
Nov 17- Dec 3rd 2008: Stayed at Pop Century. 70s Era
October 20-Nov 3: Stayed at Pop Century. 50s Era. Lady Building
February 8-24.....Stayed at All Star Sports.
July 2010: Disney Land. Stayed in Jolly Roger
Sept 2010: WDW. Stayed in All Star Sports
May 23-June 7th 2011: Stayed at Pop Century. My 35th Birthday & 10th Wedding Anniversary.

Upcoming Trips:
April 16-27: Staying at Pop Century. DH & I 11th Wedding Ann
Idontwanttogrowup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #25
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness...so many new things to do!! I bet that with all of the new, the boys will barely miss what they are "missing".

I LOVE the addition of Phineas and Ferb in the WS. I enjoyed the KimPossible missions and the concept was cool, but like DisMomAmy says...my kids have very little memory of KP. They LOVE P&F and I think Agent P is a perfect fit!

I agree that the new Dumbo is beautiful! I may have to ride it again when we go (fingers crossed and lots of pixie dust) next spring. We haven't done Dumbo since our first trip in 2007.
mommytothreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #26
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
What a great list of new things to do!

Great idea to stay at Pop to get a closer look at AoA! I can't wait to see pictures once it opens.

We too are sad about Test Track... BTMRR is going to be closed for us too!

I'm excited for the Kim Possible missions to change to Phineas & Ferb too - we've almost done them all so a new theme will be great. And my kids have no idea who Kim Possible is so P&F will be a welcome addition for them.

Can't wait to hear more about your plans.
We can't wait to try all the new things this summer!!

We actually looked into staying at AoA but it wasn't in our budget this year. I thought that staying at Pop would be a great alternative especially since we haven't been there since they have refurbished the rooms. (hey..another new thing I completely forgot about.) Also, since Pop is considered AoA sister resort that we may have access to the new pool as well???

I was just reading last night somewhere that since Disney hasn't posted anything official about the Test Track closing and it's supposed to start soon that they might end up moving it back. Maybe you'll be able to ride it on your trip after all.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #27
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontwanttogrowup View Post
I joined in! I love your trip reports!
I too am upset about Test Track because I love that ride. Im hoping they delay the closing since I will be there from April 16-27.
Thanks!! I'm so glad you joined in!!!

Test Track is definitely a favorite! I did just read that they may delay the closing especially since no official date has been announced on the Disney website. Maybe there is hope after all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys View Post
Oh my goodness...so many new things to do!! I bet that with all of the new, the boys will barely miss what they are "missing".

I LOVE the addition of Phineas and Ferb in the WS. I enjoyed the KimPossible missions and the concept was cool, but like DisMomAmy says...my kids have very little memory of KP. They LOVE P&F and I think Agent P is a perfect fit!

I agree that the new Dumbo is beautiful! I may have to ride it again when we go (fingers crossed and lots of pixie dust) next spring. We haven't done Dumbo since our first trip in 2007.
We are so excited about the addition of Phineas and Ferb in the WS! We loved the Kim Possible mission but like your boys, mine didn't really remember the show very well. This will be so much more fun. Noah loves Agent P! We're hoping it will be up and running when we arrive in July!

I can't wait to ride the new Dumbo! The last time I rode it was on our very first trip as well. The boys rode it again on our second trip but by themselves. It will be interesting to be able to get a sneak peek of the new Fantasyland while you are riding.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #28
ColtGurl
TA in KY

I'm joining in if you don't mind. I agree that Pop Century is amazing. We to are hoping they postpone the Test Tract refub. We are going in May and my fella has never rode before. Looking forward to your future posts

1998 Coronado Springs 2007 Carribean Beach 2010 Pop Century 2012 Boardwalk Villa 2013 Art of Animation-Cars, Animal Kingdom-Kidani, Port Orleans-French Quarter, Yacht Club 2014 Disney Magic, Beach Club 2015 Disney Dream, Disney Fantasy
ColtGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #29
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtGurl View Post
I'm joining in if you don't mind. I agree that Pop Century is amazing. We to are hoping they postpone the Test Tract refub. We are going in May and my fella has never rode before. Looking forward to your future posts
I'm so glad you joined in!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #30
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Celebrations and Disney Dining!!

Celebrations

We are celebrating so much on this trip. I actually should have titled this PTR....So much to celebrate! This will be our 5th trip to Disney which for us is pretty monumental especially since 5 years ago we took a trip that was supposed to be our once in a lifetime trip but became so much more. It changed everything. We couldn’t wait to return and we spent every moment dreaming and saving until we could. Nothing will compare to that first trip but honestly it feels like it gets better and better each time we return which as you know is what increases the drive to go back. Hmm…sounds like an addiction to me. Anyways, I digress…so the second thing we are celebrating is mine and Nick’s graduation. I’m graduating in May. It took me 16 years to go back to college. I had always wanted to further my education but life got in the way. Looking back, I wouldn’t change any of those decisions that I made along the way but the one thing I always regretted was not getting my college diploma and I’m hoping that I have proven to my boys that it’s never to late to chase your dreams. We will also be celebrating Nick’s graduation. In our school district, elementary goes until 6th grade and then they move on to Junior High School. They have a graduation ceremony in June for all the 6th graders. Nick is looking forward to moving to Junior High but is also very nervous about going to new school. We are hoping that this will be a celebration for him of not only what he accomplished but what he can look forward to. (sniff..sniff I can't believe my baby is growing up so fast) Lastly, DH and I will also be celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary. It will also be 20 years since we met. So definitely lots to celebrate on this trip.

Dining

On our last 4 trips we have done the Quick Service dining plan twice and the regular Dining plan twice. I think that there are advantages to both plans with convenience being the major factor. Right now I have the QSDP booked with the intention of paying OOP for a couple meals. However, plans change..... After talking it over with DH, I think that we may decide not to use the dining plan this trip. We really don’t want to be completely tied down to ADR’s every day so the regular dining plan is out and the quick service plan would have worked but now I don’t think it’s really worth it since they took away the extra snack credit. The plan used to work great for us because we would use one of the snack credits for breakfast in the morning at the resort and then we would use the other one for a snack in the park later in the day. We did always end up with some left over credits but those Mickey rice crispy treats always made great souvenirs. Now, that we are going to Sea World for a day and we still want to do a few TS meals it just makes sense to pay OOP for everything. What I will miss is the convenience of having everything pre-paid but I have read that some people put the money on Disney gift cards and just use them. So, we will probably end up doing that. Anyways, without further ado... we have decided to eat at-

Table Service Restaurants
Noah’s pick—T-Rex—(Dinner)

Nick’s pick—Sci-Fi Dine in (Lunch)

Our Pick (DH & I)—Ohana (Dinner)

Counter Service Restaurants
Sunshine Seasons

Columbia Harbor House

Pecos Bills

We will probably eat a few meals at Pop, and might also try out the new Art of Animation Resort food court. At Animal Kingdom we plan to eat at either Flame Tree or Pizzafari.

Snacks
No trip is complete until I have one of these-

But, I want to try a few new things too—
This….

Or maybe this…but definitely one or the other!!! I can’t believe I have never tried a Dole Whip!

From Starring Rolls— (DHS)

The Chocolate-Peanut Butter cupcake!
Or maybe the Butterfinger one….hmm…decisions, decisions.

In Epcot, we have decided not to eat at a CS place but to snack around the world instead.
So far we know that we want to try—
School Bread in Norway

Kaki-Gori in Japan

Any suggestions of must-try snacks in each of the different countries???

Up next--Movie Nights...hopefully!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: