Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #1366
Akess
Earning My Ears

We always head to Epcot the day we arrive at BCV. We are much too excited to visit a park to wait until the next day. Epcot is so close.

As for dinner at Cape May, we did that once on the first day, and we felt that with traveling, we were a little tired and didn't appreciate the buffet as much as we would have later in the week. Cape May is our favorite restaurant, but now we save it for later in the week. We now opt for a nice sit down restaurant on our first day, and have someone bring the food to us. If you do not have plans to eat at Cape May later in the week though, I would recommend trying it out. It is quite good.[/

We do plan eat at Cape May one night. After reading your post and looking at the schedule of parks and events we plan on attending each day, I think I will plan Cape May after one of those longer days so we can enjoy the pool after dinner. I am also considering it after our Animal Kingdom day, but before we head to Cirque Du Soleil for the 9:00 p.m. performance. Do you think it is practical to plan an hour for dinner since Cape May is a buffet? And do you happen to know approximately how much time to estimate to travel by bus from Animal Kingdom to the Beach Club?

Thanks again!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #1367
skepace
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcondrad View Post
I think our opinion of ME is definitely one of the few poor ones....BUT I wanted to chime in to let you know our story. We had an afternoon flight that landed at MCO at 10:30, we got through the lines quick but just missed the ME for Beach Club. At the front of the line, we waited for about half an hour for enough people to run another bus. It was YC/BC, Boardwalk and Coronado Springs that day...wouldn't you know it with all the delux resorts on that bus they went to Coronado Springs first. They then went to Boardwalk, then YC and lastly, BC. We didn't pull up to the BC until after 1:00.

We have decided to not take ME again because of that poor experience but I have heard SOOO many people who have had a great experience. Just be aware that it has the potential to be a long trip to the resort and if you really are in a rush to get there, I'd arrange other transportation.
This is what I was afraid of. I don't think the hotel is that far away and I would hate to make my kids wait 1 1/2 - 2 hours again after our 3 1/2 hour plane ride to get to the hotel.

What other options are out there? Anyone??

http://shawnpace.myoilproducts.com
skepace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #1368
Akess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepace View Post

The last time we went to Disney in 2003, we took a town car from the airport to the hotel. I cannot remember the amount of the town car transportation, but we did have a coupon that we found online for that company. They also offered a 30 minute stop at a grocery store for free; however, we did not take advantage of that option.

We were planning on taking the ME this time, but I had not realized that the service had such mixed reviews. Now I am second guessing that transportation option after reading about the varied experiences.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #1369
natebenma
DIS Veteran

We have used Magical Express 3 times (twice to the Beach Club). Our experience with the service has been excellent. Both times our flights landed around 10 am and we were at the Beach Club by 11:30. Closer to 11 once. That was with stops at POR and Boardwalk.

Love not having to worry about our luggage and just having it appear in our room later in the day. We find it to be a really nice way to start our Disney vacations- the little video you watch, driving under the arch, even seeing the other resorts.

Last year on our trip to Universal, we used a car service. It was great to the resort, around 45 minutes from the airport to our hotel, but the service was 30 minutes late picking us up, and never notified us that he would be arriving late until I called him first, at our original pickup time.

Taxi is another option, but I'm not sure of the price of that.

Mears also offers a shuttle, but I think you are in the same situation where you have to wait until a certain number of people fill up the van.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #1370
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:

You can hire a town car service, which for one way will be about $70 plus tip (it's a little cheaper if you book a RT - often you can get $125 RT, but I've seen very few discounts ever on one way), or take a taxi which is around $60-$65 plus tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
For anyone who is there now, or was very recently...... are they still doing construction on the outside of the YC building? When we were there last August they started replacing siding and repainting. We are arriving on 4/16 for a few nights and just wondering what to expect.

Thanks.

Ed
We just returned & yes they are doing something at YC. Out the back of the lobby, to the right, away from BC. Not sure what, I can't imagine they're still doing siding work from last year, but that's exactly what it looked like they were doing!

Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #1371
Feckless
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akess View Post
Sounds like a similar dilemma. I do think the best idea is to head to Epcot, but now I am just torn on making a reservation for dinner, eat here and there around the World Showcase, or just plan to grab a bit at Sunshine Seasons. My husband is leaning towards grabbing a bite here and there around the World Showcase. My problem with that idea is that we could all be spread out in four different locations looking for and buying the food that we desire. I would really prefer to be together, but I guess we will have to do some consulting about this as a family.

I think you might get frustrated! I'd book a TS in WS for the 1st night.

Does your daughter want to do the "Pick a Pearl" in Japan. I have that on our list of things to do as well. I can't believe this will be the fourth time I have been to Disney and I never knew about the "Pick a Pearl" option. Thank goodness for all the great info on this board!
We are going to do this! I've read here that there is also a pick a pearl at the Yacht Club.

Latest TR in progress: FROM SUNSTROKE TO A CONCUSSION: a Yacht Club Disney "Trip" to Remember http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50508748

SMILES, SAND AND SUNSTROKE: A May 2012 Beach Club Trip of a Lifetime! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2927334

First Pre-Trip Report: From the North Atlantic to the World http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post43102751
Feckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #1372
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

I'm getting closer!

Just got an email from DVC Member Services that one of my waitlist requests came through! My ultimate destination would home sweet home, the BCV. However, the best I could do was a 2 BR at the VWL. Great place, but we've stayed there before and with my in-laws coming along this time, I wanted to be as close to EPCOT as we can be since it's their favorite park.

We now have a 2 BR at the BWV, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the BCV! Wish me luck!
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
roydavid7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #1373
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Anyone know how the Magical Express works? Do they wait for a bunch of people before leaving MCO? Since our wonderful airline United moved back our arrival I want to get us to the hotel ASAP. DW thinks I'm nuts but I'm trying to be the Dad of the Year.
We've now used ME four times since February 2010 and never had to wait that long. On our trip to the BC, we did go to several resorts first, but I thought it was cool to get a glimpse of a number of resorts we'll probably never stay at .

Basically, you get on the bus, get settled, they play the video and its time to finish when you enter Disney property. Going under that sign is a big thrill in and of itself.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #1374
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

We used ME last summer. We went to somewhere (I don't remember), Poly and then CR. Even with the extra stops we were still checked within 90 minutes from landing. It was so nice to not have to handle our luggage and have it right there. We watched the video and DD and DS both got excited as we saw the other resorts. We are using it again. To add a little more to this, I HATE BUSES. As in complete, irrational fear, hate for them. I am a teacher and I stress about field trips for weeks because we have to use a BUS. At Disney they don't bother me at all which makes my feels even more irrational. So, just to give you a different spin on ME.
WsPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #1375
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We do plan eat at Cape May one night. After reading your post and looking at the schedule of parks and events we plan on attending each day, I think I will plan Cape May after one of those longer days so we can enjoy the pool after dinner. I am also considering it after our Animal Kingdom day, but before we head to Cirque Du Soleil for the 9:00 p.m. performance. Do you think it is practical to plan an hour for dinner since Cape May is a buffet? And do you happen to know approximately how much time to estimate to travel by bus from Animal Kingdom to the Beach Club?

Thanks again!
The Animal Kingdom was maybe 15 minutes by bus? Not sure - but it didn't feel too long. Sometimes it does stop at either TL or BB, so that could add some time to your trip.

I would plan about an hour and a half for the buffet dinner. You might not need that long, but it's better than planning an hour and then rushing through a good meal, IMO. We've never had to wait too long to get in, so realistically you could probably be out in an hour. Cape May is our family's favorite meal, so we do tend to spend more time here.

Quote:
This is what I was afraid of. I don't think the hotel is that far away and I would hate to make my kids wait 1 1/2 - 2 hours again after our 3 1/2 hour plane ride to get to the hotel.

We've never had a bad experience with ME. Most times we were checking in at our resort in under 90 minutes. In fact, our last 3 times, we literally walked on the bus. Also, the ride does not feel very long, since they show a welcome video, which children really seem to like and it helps the time pass faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feckless View Post
We are going to do this! I've read here that there is also a pick a pearl at the Yacht Club.
I would definitely do the one at Japan. They do a nice presentation, with drums and make a big fuss about the selection of your pearl, and the beauty of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydavid7771 View Post
I'm getting closer!

Just got an email from DVC Member Services that one of my waitlist requests came through! My ultimate destination would home sweet home, the BCV. However, the best I could do was a 2 BR at the VWL. Great place, but we've stayed there before and with my in-laws coming along this time, I wanted to be as close to EPCOT as we can be since it's their favorite park.

We now have a 2 BR at the BWV, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the BCV! Wish me luck!
Good luck!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:11 AM   #1376
Katesdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think we all will be anxious to get to a park the first day, so it sounds like the best bet is to go to Epcot because of the proximity. After all, that is the reason why we chose the Beach Club to begin with.
Sounds like a good plan to me. Just be sure to take the time to take in the Christmas activities at the different lands. I don't think they start until after T-day but they should be on your agenda. It really is worth it.

Quote:
This is what I was afraid of. What other options are out there?
Quote:
We were planning on taking the ME this time, but I had not realized that the service had such mixed reviews. Now I am second guessing that transportation option after reading about the varied experiences.
Read something on another thread where one or two people posted a bad experience but there were 30 or so other postings extoling the benefit that Disney was providing. The OP had said that the bad experience was going to keep them from using the Disney benefit and that they would pay OOP just to make sure they avoided the same problem. The poster that impressed me said that it's funny how we seem to fixate on the one or two bad experiences and not the thirty or so good ones. We just "know" that we will have that same bad experience. We'll I'll chime in with everyone else and say that we have not had a bad experience with ME over the years we've been using them. Yes, it does take a while, but the convenience and the savings are worth it. The longest it ever took us from airport to hotel was 1.5 hrs and we never had an issue about the luggage not arriving and not all being there. But, if its peace of mind that you are seeking, I would strongly recommend the towncar services. They are great. Used them back in the '80's and '90's before ME was created.

I appreciate everyone's experience and I especially appreciate those that post their less than stellar Disney experiences. It makes the planning that much more interesting in that we always have that contingency plan in the back pocket "just in case".

Hope everyone has a joyous Easter weekend, especially those there at the happiest place on earth right now.

Last edited by Katesdad; 04-07-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #1377
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feckless View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333disneymom View Post

I would definitely do the one at Japan. They do a nice presentation, with drums and make a big fuss about the selection of your pearl, and the beauty of it.
We want to do this too. Hubby wants to get me a gift with the pearl. I was thinking we'd look at the settings at YC, but we'll be picking the actual pearl in Japan for the ceremony and presentation. But I'd heard/read that Japan doesn't have the best selection of settings, so we'll check at least YC and maybe also DTD to see theirs before we have it set.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

kelleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #1378
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Am I crazy, or did someone post a couple of days ago asking if the Crab Legs were on the menu every night at Cape May???

I can't find it now.....................and I can't see if they were ever answered.

Just had me curious if they decided to "rotate" them ornot??
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 11/14 - Split Stay???
Me DH DD22 DD16 Maud Marie

ocalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #1379
rusty4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesdad View Post
Read something on another thread where one or two people posted a bad experience but there were 30 or so other postings extoling the benefit that Disney was providing. The OP had said that the bad experience was going to keep them from using the Disney benefit and that they would pay OOP just to make sure they avoided the same problem. The poster that impressed me said that it's funny how we seem to fixate on the one or two bad experiences and not the thirty or so good ones. We just "know" that we will have that same bad experience. We'll I'll chime in with everyone else and say that we have not had a bad experience with ME over the years we've been using them. Yes, it does take a while, but the convenience and the savings are worth it. The longest it ever took us from airport to hotel was 1.5 hrs and we never had an issue about the luggage not arriving and not all being there. But, if its peace of mind that you are seeking, I would strongly recommend the towncar services. They are great. Used them back in the '80's and '90's before ME was created.

I appreciate everyone's experience and I especially appreciate those that post their less than stellar Disney experiences. It makes the planning that much more interesting in that we always have that contingency plan in the back pocket "just in case".

Hope everyone has a joyous Easter weekend, especially those there at the happiest place on earth right now.
We have had great experiences with ME. In fact we consider it part of the "magic". We just sit back and watch the video and get excited about where they are taking us. Like someone else mentioned above we don't get up set if they stop at other resorts firsts either. We can talk about the ones that we have stayed at before or get a peak at ones that we haven't.

Hard to believe that Easter is here already! Hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #1380
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post
Am I crazy, or did someone post a couple of days ago asking if the Crab Legs were on the menu every night at Cape May???

I can't find it now.....................and I can't see if they were ever answered.

Just had me curious if they decided to "rotate" them ornot??
Every night!
TeenaS is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: