Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 01:42 AM   #61
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Day 11 - First Day at Sea ~part 3

Rosemary Potato Loaf

Rosemary and Garlic Oil Dip

Broccoli and Maytag Blue Cheese Soup topped wtih crushed Walnuts

Sangria Bisque chilled Fruit Puree lightly flavored with Red Wine

Caramelized Bay Scallops served on a Leek and Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto

Crispy Cheese Ravioli Breaded envelopes served with Tomato Concasse and Lemon Zest

Prosciutto with Chilled Honeydew ribbons of Cured Ham over Sweet Melon

Jumbo Shrimp and Porcini Mushroom Tagliatelle with a Garlic-Porcini Mushroom Cream Sauce topped with Parmesan Shavings

Yep, this is how I know we must've really liked it, it showed up again in my pictures! But I do recall that it wasn't as good the second time.

Smoked Duck Breast Salad Frisee, Lollo Rosso, Radicchio Leaves with Walnuts and Shredded Apples topped with a Smoked Duck Breast and a creamy Lemon Dressing

Potato Gnocchi in a creamy Cheese Sauce with toasted Pine Nuts and Pesto Sauce

Yachtsman Steakhouse Grilled NY Strip with marinated Green Asparagus, Oven-baked Potato, topped with Herb-Garlic Butter

Since we were celebrating Austin's birthday on the ship, they surprised him with dessert. Unless it was a special cake they use for celebrations, it sounds like one of the desserts on the menu.

The Golden Award, Milk Chocolate Mousse, Chiffon Cake with Ganache

Golden Mickey Sweet Temptations, A trio of Creme Brulee, The Golden Chocolate Award, and Raspberry Cheesecake

We rolled out of Triton's around 9:45 PM. We didn't have any other plans that night aside from catching Mary Poppin's on Funnel Vision at 10:00 PM. I think we may have stepped outside briefly to see how the cool it was at night, and after being blasted by the cold air, I decided it wasn't worth it.

Austin went up without me to sit in the whirlpool and watch Mary Poppins for a little bit while I got comfortable in bed and caught a move on the TV instead.
Disneyland Resort: 1993 + 2003-July + 2007-May & Nov + 2008-May & Nov + 2009-May & Nov + 2010-Oct + 2011-Jan & Nov + 2012-May & Nov + 2013-Nov + 2014-July
tomoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #62
DISGRL13
Earning My Ears

So glad you are going ahead with your TR. (Sorry for all your trouble.) LOVE all your pictures!! We are going on the Med cruise at the end of July. Seeing all your pictures is really getting me excited about our trip! Thanks again for posting!
DISGRL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2014, 04:27 AM   #63
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonsmommy View Post
Loving your reviews!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISGRL13 View Post
So glad you are going ahead with your TR. (Sorry for all your trouble.) LOVE all your pictures!! We are going on the Med cruise at the end of July. Seeing all your pictures is really getting me excited about our trip! Thanks again for posting!
Thank you! Oh wow, a Med cruise, how exciting! I'm sure it's going to be awesome!
Disneyland Resort: 1993 + 2003-July + 2007-May & Nov + 2008-May & Nov + 2009-May & Nov + 2010-Oct + 2011-Jan & Nov + 2012-May & Nov + 2013-Nov + 2014-July
Old 06-24-2014, 04:40 AM   #64
tomoyo
Mouseketeer

Day 12 - San Francisco

When we woke up on day three, we were already docked in San Francisco. This was going to be a long port day, from 8:00 AM to 11:30 PM. I planned to hit up our usual places we like to go in SF, but since I'm writing this report two years and three trips to SF later, in retrospect, I wish we had spent more time on the ship.

We opted to spend the day walking and taking public transportation. Prior to leaving, I had googlemapped every possible route we could take, to minimize how much walking we would be doing.

Our day started off with walking to Golden Gate Bakery around 8:00 AM, when we could get off the ship. Golden Gate Bakery is a Chinese bakery in China town. They're known for their delicious egg custard tarts. They're also infamous for always being on vacation! Their schedule is so unpredictable, there's a PresidiGo Shuttle to The Walt Disney Family Museum store. We had already been through the museum 6 months ago so I just wanted to go shop since the WDFM usually has exclusive merchandise.

The PresidiGo shuttle runs to and from Downtown SF on weekdays only and it's free to visitors from 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM. The pickup location used to be in front of the Hyatt Regency San Francisco, which was conveniently located right next to a BART entrance/exit, but the current pick up location is at the corner of Washington St and Drumm St, a few blocks away. When I went last year, I was told it was because of construction on Drumm St. I'm not sure if this is now the permanent pick up spot, but I will find out next month.

We caught the 2:30 PM shuttle there and the 3:30 shuttle back to downtown, so about 30 minutes to look around. Although I'm generally the type to linger and look at everything when I shop, I'd rather not pay for a cab to get back!

Aside from shopping, I love just looking around the displays at the store! Some things are so impractical that as much as I love it, I can't justify spending money on it. Like this gorgeous, $790, one of a kind, original piece.

Instead, I went with a Cinderella (Mary Blair artwork) clearfile, Little Golden Book of Cinderella, and a few pins.

We got back to the bus terminal a little early. It was extra cold due to the wind, so I huddled in the nook of the cafe until we could get onto the shuttle. When we got dropped off back downtown, we went straight to Starbucks, conveniently located right by the drop off spot, so I could get a hot drink for the walk back to the ship.

I don't know if the other half piers have this sign, but as a Harry Potter fan, I couldn't not stop to take a picture.

We got back around 5:00 PM and opted to skip the PremEAR of "The Avengers" which is one of my regrets for not staying on the ship (though The Avengers didn't truly premiere that week, it came out the week before). Another regret was another movie, Cars 2 in 3D, which was only shown the day we were in SF. We don't usually go out to see movies in theaters since we're okay with waiting until we can rent it, so we were a little disappointed that we couldn't take advantage of this.

I'm not entirely sure what we did when we got back on the ship at 5:00 PM. And those confusing pictures of a buffet plate at 7:30...

But we did go back to our room at 8:00 PM to find a new towel animal.

Then it was quickly back downstairs for dinner at Tritons.

Warm French Country Bread

Olive Spread

"Prince Eric's" Escargot Gratinee, Herb-marinated Snails with finely chopped Mushrooms, topped with Garlic Butter

Applewood Smoked Bacon and Wild Mushroom Tart with creamy Leeks

"Chef Louis" French Onion Soup with Gruyere Cheese Crouton

Crispy Roasted Duck Breast with braised Napa Cabbage and Potato Cake, with Pomegranate Jus

Aged Angus Grilled Beef Tenderloin an Olive Oil-smashed Potatoes, Bacon-wrapped Green Beans, and a Mustard Madeira Sauce

Three-Cheese Lobster Macaroni, Lobster Meat, Gruyere, and Cheddar Cheese Sauce with Tubular Pasta with a Parmesan Wafer

Everything on the Triton's menu sounded delicious to us when we researched it. We must've been pretty full if we hadn't ordered one of each entree. Actually looking at the menu now, I'm surprised Austin didn't get the lamb shank. However, I don't recall if we really liked anything we got. I'm pretty sure my choice, the beef tenderloin, was overcooked and the crispy roast duck skin was not really crispy.

Brioche and Panettone Pudding, Orange flavored bread pudding served warm with Toffee Sauce

Grand Marier Souffle with Grand Marnier Vanilla Sauce

Surprisingly, we enjoyed this souffle more than Palo's!

Triton's Sweet Temptations, A trio of Creme Brulee, Chocolate Mousse and Praline Petite Choux

And a Mickey ice cream bar, since I still hadn't gotten one even though we were 2 days into the cruise.

Apple Icewine, Quebec, Canada

I also decided to splurge for an after dinner drink, but regretted it when it arrived. It wasn't sweet enough for me, so Austin finished it off. Maybe if it hadn't been immediately after dessert, it would've been more palatable for me.

The icewine was on our table around 9:45 PM, so we slowly and made our way to Wavebands to watch Match Your Mate at 10:30 PM.

Match Your Mate was hilarious. The couple who had been married the longest won, I think all of their answers actually matched, which isn't surprising since considering how long they were together, but it was the couple in between who were the most memorable, especially the husband. I believe they asked him who the most annoying family member on the wife's side. He was hesitant to answer and said his brother-in-law was a customs officer. He wasn't even saying it as a joke, but just the way that he said it, it was the funniest moment of the game, especially because the brother-in-law was present. FYI, the wife did agree with him about the most annoying member in her family.

After the game, we headed over to the Buena Vista Theater to watch "The Muppets" movie from 11:15 PM to 1:00 AM.

We got back to our room and found some more goodies in our FE.

We decided since we were still feeling awake (perhaps that unexplained gap in time was because we took a nap when we got back at 5:00 PM), we would pass out our FE gifts and take a tour of the ship. For our FE, we decided on a cabin gift filled with items from where we live, though we threw in a pack of crayons for the rooms with children in them.

Li hing mui cookbook, li hing mui powder, chocolate covered macadamia nut Hershey's kisses, and a pen from Aulani.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_hing_mui

We walked around for about 45 minutes, thoroughly walking by every stateroom on the floors where we had gifts to deliver, so we could also check out any door decorations. I also took the opportunity to take pictures of the art on the walls.

We finally got back to our stateroom at 2:00 AM and we crashed shortly after.

Last edited by tomoyo; 06-24-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: