Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #91
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Zombies Attack!!!

On Saturday we headed to Boston so that DH could run in the Run for your Lives 5K/Obstacle course. Although it was advertised as Boston, it really wasnít. It was about an hour north, the parking lot for the shuttle was in New Hampshire.

We drove up Friday night and stayed in a Hoilday Express about 30 miles away. I picked it because it was the only one with an indoor pool and I figured Caitlin would be happy with that. We didnít get to the pool until about 9:20pm. It was great for about 15 minutes and then a whole bus of kids who were on some type of high school trip for Canada came in. There must have been about 50 kids in a small pool/hot tub. We were out of there pretty quick.

Caitlin was unimpressed with the room. It was boring to her. (I thought it was pretty decent looking) I mentioned to DH that she might be a little spoiled with hotels and he said I only have myself to blame.

While we were in the room I came up with an idea to start a scrapbook for Caitlin. A sort of where have you been book. Each page will have a few pictures from everywhere we go. A page for Florida, page for Castaway Cay, Nassau, etc. I figure that with my new cruise obsession she will most likely fill up the book with awesome places. I told her I needed to get some pictures for this trip. Apparently she didnít like this idea.

After a delicious breakfast at Crackel Barrel on Saturday morning, we headed to the site of the Zombie run. There was a parking about 15 minutes from the event and you had to park there and get shuttled to the park where the event took place.

DH needed to do some jumping jacks to warm up.

We waited for the shuttle

Weíre here!

Everyone needed to sign a waiver.

We arrived around 11 and DH wasnít scheduled to run until 3. Caitlin decided at the last minute that she wanted to come. It would have been much better if we had left her with grandma. There wasnít much for her to do. It was more of an adults drinking beer and hanging out with live music kind of thing. Totally my fault. I always give her the option to join us b/c I feel bad excluding her but from now on I need to just get over that. She isnít old enough to enjoy certain things and end up whining the whole time.

It didnít help that it was pretty chilly that day. Maybe 60 with overcast all day.

Plus they ran out of French fries right as we got to the food stand. Caitlin was not happy.

Finally, it was time for DH to go.

He went through the tent

As soon as you start, you had to head up a HUGE hill. It doesnít look as bad in the pictures, but it was HUGE!

After we lost site of DH we headed to the finish line to wait.

Here are the pictures DH took while doing the run. He said that it is pretty much impossible to actually avoid the zombies and run because of all the mud.

pinkxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #92
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Ankle deep in mud. Ew

Towards the end there was a huge slide back down the hill. They started to have some problems with the plastic ripping so they kept having to fix it. It held up the runners so it took DH forever to finish.

He was stuck in line for about 20 minutes in wet, freezing clothes.

Here is the slide that they had to replace

We finally saw him on the way down and he looked beat.

He was freezing and his towel was in with his stuff in the changing area. So he had to borrow my sweatshirt.

Overall it looked like a fun event. DH thought I would feel like I missed out when I chicken out, but I am very happy I didnít do it. I would not have been happy being cold and wet. I would do it though if it was warmer. DH was also not happy that some of the obstacles in the commercials like the cargo net climb and the blood pool werenít there.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #93
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Wow, it looks so tough! All that mud and hills and obstacles! Very cool though. Too bad about the cold and wet bit though. Looks like a fun time all in all!
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #94
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Diane, I am SO sorry I have been missing for the last two weeks, but real life got in the way.

Congratulations on your decision on AoA! I think it looks awesome and I would love to stay there too! Maybe next February before our cruise.

Thanks for all the photos from the Zombie run! That hill looks SCARY! and the mud and obstacles are too!
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #95
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

That looks like a crazy 5K! There are all kinds of interesting 5Ks out there. Friends of mine are doing a mud run soon, I think.

I agree...the Holiday Inn Express looks pretty nice, but what do I know?
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #96
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Wow, it looks so tough! All that mud and hills and obstacles! Very cool though. Too bad about the cold and wet bit though. Looks like a fun time all in all!
It was pretty fun. I am still glad I opted out though, I hate being cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Diane, I am SO sorry I have been missing for the last two weeks, but real life got in the way.

Congratulations on your decision on AoA! I think it looks awesome and I would love to stay there too! Maybe next February before our cruise.

Thanks for all the photos from the Zombie run! That hill looks SCARY! and the mud and obstacles are too!
I can't wait to hear all about your recent trips

I am excited to check out AoA. I am also happy that is pretty cheap. I have about 3 vacations I would like to plan in the next year so I need to save wherever I can.

The hills were awful! There was a huge hill to go up as soon as you started and everyone was running up it. I would have been so tired right after that and that is just the beginning It looked fun to come back down the hill on the slide though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
That looks like a crazy 5K! There are all kinds of interesting 5Ks out there. Friends of mine are doing a mud run soon, I think.

I agree...the Holiday Inn Express looks pretty nice, but what do I know?

DH has been asking me to sign up for some mud runs too. The Spartan race and some Fugitive bust out of jail mud run? Part of me thinks they might be fun, but the other part only sees the mud and obstacles. I think I might try one over the summer with him though so he stops bugging me.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #97
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

I need a little Disney/ vacation planning advice from the experts.

Lately, I've been thinking about my vacation wish list, Disney and non Disney.

Caitlin is almost done with second grade. Once she hits 6th grade she will be in middle school and I will no longer be okay with taking her out of school to travel. Maybe a long weekend, but no more missing 4-5 days at a time.

I have a long list of places I would love to go- CA, Hawaii, an Alaskian cruise, a Bermuda cruise, Ireland, the list goes on.

My Disney list includes Food and Wine, Xmas, the Princess Half and a cruise on the Disney Fantasy.

The first list can pretty much all happen over summer breaks so they can wait a bit.

Xmas at Disney can be a long weekend.

Which brings us to the Princess Half and the Disney Fantasy. I talked to DH and told him I would really like to just do the Princess Half this year and get it out of my system. He said to go for it.

Here is the real issue though. The Disney Fantasy. DH has agreed that after our cruise on RCL in Sept. 2012 our next cruise can be the Fantasy. I explained to him that I didn't want to wait any longer than 2014 b/c I just don't think Caitlin will enjoy it after 9/10.

I am kind of thinking of booking the Fantasy for Nov. 2013. DH thinks I should wait and book Oct. 2014.

DH always seems to think we will take a long break between vacations. Last Oct, he said no vacation for three years. 11 months later we will be back on a 7 day cruise and 2 days in Disney. May 2010 was supposed to be our Disney trip for a few years. We were back again the next May.

My hold ups in booking are -

-$$ It's going to be tight depending on how much I work over the next year with our Sept. trip, a Feb trip and then, a pricey cruise. I'll have a better idea once I see the airfare for Feb. but I am thinking the fares will be out of control.

-The whole baby thing- nope, not pregnant. Now, that summer is here the whole trying to get pregnant thing will be on the back burner. DH will be working 60-70hrs a week and I will most likely be working full time. Add in a kid, Judo listening, half marathon training and that doesn't leave much time to worry about adding another kid. However, we are just leaving it up to fate so it could happen at any time.

Anyway, I guess my question is- should I just book the Fantasy for 2013 now and see what happens over the next few months? I can always cancel it or push it back if we were to get pregnant. Or should I wait a few months and book it later? I just don't want it to be May of 2013 and decide we should go on the cruise and be prices out for waiting too long.

I would really like to just get on the Fantasy in 2013. I think Caitlin is really growing away from Disney already and I think it is just time to move on to new things.

Book now or wait?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #98
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Here's advice from someone who is already mostly booked for 2013 and has near finished travel plans for 2014.

If I were you, I would book a Fantasy cruise for 2013 and take it from there. If it works out than go in 2013. It gives you time to pay off the cruise in little bits and IF you cannot go in 2013 for whatever reason, you can always change your dates.
Changing dates is SO easy on their website. I have changed around my cruises more than a few times.
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #99
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Here's advice from someone who is already mostly booked for 2013 and has near finished travel plans for 2014.

If I were you, I would book a Fantasy cruise for 2013 and take it from there. If it works out than go in 2013. It gives you time to pay off the cruise in little bits and IF you cannot go in 2013 for whatever reason, you can always change your dates.
Changing dates is SO easy on their website. I have changed around my cruises more than a few times.
Thanks for the advice. I think you are right about booking and changing if need be. I priced out the same week for Nov. 2012 and it is about $1000 more.

However, now I have a new dilemma that you might be able to help with.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #100
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Another planning dilemma....

In the last post I asked about booking the Fantasy for Sept 2013. However, I think I have a new plan that might work out better.

I have been trying to incorporate a little something different in our vacations. I happened to be on that other cruise forum and read a trip report that had a ship leaving out of Miami. Wow, Miami looks pretty. We have never been there. I started looking into cruises out of Miami. Carnival has a good one.

DH doesn't like to take weeks off in the summer due to his work schedule so I played around with Caitin's April vacation. Of course I am scheduled to work the weekend at the end. We aren't allowed to take weekends off unless we get them covered, which we cant do unless the schedule is up (the month before.)

Okay, we could do a short cruise and a few days in Miami.

Hey, wait a minute. Isn't DCL doing 5 night cruises next year out of Miami. Yes, yes they are!!!!

Now, I am thinking of booking the Wonder 5 night Western Caribbean out of Miami for April break of 2013 and pushing the Fantasy back to late 2014.

What do you think?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #101
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I just saw this...congrats on the September trip (although I'll miss you by a week ). Joining in for the rest of the planning.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #102
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

So did you decide on the Fantasy for next year? That sounds good, I really need to do a cruise. I'm hoping if we go in Feb and we bring Caitlin and go from Wednesday to Monday, that can be my Disney fix for the year and maybe we can finally do a cruise later in the year. If we only go for the weekend, though...that probably won't be enough Disney for me. Although maybe Brandon and I can do a 3 day cruise and then 3 days in Disney or something. I can't even think about next year's vacations yet when November is stressing me out so much!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #103
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Sorry I've been missing....trying to catch up!

The Zombie race looks really fun! Ed would enjoy something like that.

As for the vacation planning conundrums:

I say book the Fantasy for May 18, 2013 & you can sail with us! Seriously though, I would just go ahead & book 2013. You can always change the date!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #104
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I just saw this...congrats on the September trip (although I'll miss you by a week ). Joining in for the rest of the planning.

Glad you found me, Kathy! I seem to be missing many Disers by a few days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
So did you decide on the Fantasy for next year? That sounds good, I really need to do a cruise. I'm hoping if we go in Feb and we bring Caitlin and go from Wednesday to Monday, that can be my Disney fix for the year and maybe we can finally do a cruise later in the year. If we only go for the weekend, though...that probably won't be enough Disney for me. Although maybe Brandon and I can do a 3 day cruise and then 3 days in Disney or something. I can't even think about next year's vacations yet when November is stressing me out so much!
You do need to do a cruise. Be warned- it is addictive. I am constantly trying to find a way to squeeze in a cruise- a 3 day, 4 day, week, whatever. It becomes an expensive obsession.

I can't wait until July is here so that I can finally know if we can go in Feb. Caitlin wants to eat with the Princesses. Akershus, here we come

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Sorry I've been missing....trying to catch up!

The Zombie race looks really fun! Ed would enjoy something like that.

As for the vacation planning conundrums:

I say book the Fantasy for May 18, 2013 & you can sail with us! Seriously though, I would just go ahead & book 2013. You can always change the date!

I was looking at that date! Since I work every 3rd weekend I only had so many weeks available in the Spring. That happened to be one option but I just can't pull Caitlin out for another 5 days of school when she is already missing 5 in Sept. I really, really considered it but I don't want her to miss too much.

I really hate that I have to wait so long but at least I have some plans in between to keep me occupied.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #105
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
I was looking at that date! Since I work every 3rd weekend I only had so many weeks available in the Spring. That happened to be one option but I just can't pull Caitlin out for another 5 days of school when she is already missing 5 in Sept. I really, really considered it but I don't want her to miss too much.

I really hate that I have to wait so long but at least I have some plans in between to keep me occupied.
That's too funny that you did look at our date! That would've been so much fun! But, I completely understand about not wanting to pull Caitlin out of school again.

It is hard indeed when a booked trip is so far away.
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: