Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #76
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Our trip will include 2 nights at Disney.

The first night needs to be a Disney resort since I plan on using ME. I am not too concerned about it being a host resort for the run, I am pretty sure I can make it to the expo on my own.

I would like the second night to be at a host resort, but I donít really like the host resorts. The deluxes are just too much $ for a quick weekend before the cruise and they arenít my top choices anyway.

CBR doesnít really interest me for some reason. I would like to stay at POFQ someday but am just not feeling it this trip.

We love POR, but we have already stayed there. I was hoping to try something new this time.

The All Stars are pretty much on the bottom of my list. However they might be okay for the first night since I donít plan on being in the room much.

Just in case you donít know- a host resort will provide you with transportation to the expo to pick up your race packet and to the run itself. If you stay at a non host resort you have to drive yourself or get a taxi to the expo (which is fine) and to the run itself (this is what concerns me, not sure of how road closings with effect travel times)

Here are the host resorts
Packages start as low as $98 per person for a two night stay.*
ē Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
ē Disney's All-Star Music Resort
ē Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney Moderate Resorts
Packages start as low as $142 per person for a two night stay.*
ē Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
ē Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
ē Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney Deluxe Resorts
Packages start as low as $346 per person for a two night stay*
ē Disney's Beach Club Resort
ē Disney's BoardWalk Resort
ē Disney's Yacht Club Resort

My #1 choice is SSR. (Tina- anytime you want to give a little review on your TR, that would be great)

No idea how this come to be. If you asked me a year ago I had no interest in staying there. Funny how different resorts look good at different times. Last year at this time I had really wanted to stay at POFQ.

Pros-
-If I rent points this is one of the cheapest options

-The pools look great; Caitlin saw the pictures and said she would love to stay here

-A quick walk to DTD where I could eat at WPE for lunch and breakfast the next morning. I could also use the boat to POFQ, then hop a bus to the expo since POFQ is a host resort

-I love the DTD view from SSR at night, it just looks so pretty

Cons
-Not a host resort, but considering it is so close to POR/FQ it might not be too much of an issue

-DH will most likely not like it. He didn't like the BC, and they look similar. But Iím not really too concerned about that either

-Will the short stay be enough, maybe save this until we can do a longer trip to really enough the pools and closeness to DTD?

I donít really have a ranking for the next resorts. They are all pretty much even.

POR

Pros-

-Host resort

-The royal rooms look soooo pretty. I showed the pictures to Caitlin and she really loved the magic carpet and the genie lamp faucets

-DH really enjoyed POR on our first stay

-Awesome food court, will be a great option for dinner before the run

-The pool is great

Cons
-The only real con is that we have already stayed here and I would really like to stay somewhere new. Also without a discount it will be on the upper end of costs, but not too bad

-Another con is that I had planned to stay here whenever we made it to WDW for the Princess Half Marathon (really not a big deal though)

Swan

Pros
-A very cheap option to stay an Epcot resort

-Donít have to worry about transportation to the run since you can walk to
DHS

-We would get to try breakfast at Garden Grove, which is one of the 3 character breakfast we have not tried

I havenít been on the food board lately. From what I can tell, Chip and Dale are still at breakfast on Sunday, right?

-The pool looks very nice

-Plenty of stuff to do on Sat. without heading to the parks

The beds look comfy

Cons
-Will be a split stay since I need ME the first day (really not a big deal, I love split stays)
-Not Disney

All Stars (most likely Movies)

Pros
- Cheap and a host resort
- ??? Um, thanks all I have

Cons
-Will have to be a split stay, DH and Caitlin need their waterslide and hot tub

-I refuse to pay for a preferred room so I would be stuck in Herbie or the mighty ducks, which are two movies I havenít seen

Art of Animation Resort (If I pick Swan for the second night)

Pros
-Little Mermaid room with an Eric poster

-Will be a great chance to check out the resort since I doubt I will ever get DH to agree to stay at a value

-The food court will most likely be comparable to Pop, which is great

-cheap

Cons
-not a host resort, but since I am just heading to the expo that day I donít really mind

The final choices
-2 nights at SSR in a studio
-2 nights at POR in a royal room

-1 night AOA, 1 night POR
-1 night AOA, 1 night Swan
-1 night ASMo, 1 night POR
-1night ASMo, 1 night Swan
-1 night SSR, 1 night Swan
-1 night SSR, 1 night POR

I think I am leaning towards either 2 nights at SSR or a split stay. What do you think??

If we donít stay at the Swan, we will most likely have our departure day breakfast at Park Fare, another new breakfast for us

I think I am leaning towards either 2 nights at SSR or a split stay. What do you think??
Old 04-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #77
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

It's a very hard decision. I want to stay at POFQ too. I am obsessed wit hgetting there...BUT I have 3 resorts for my upcoming trip and none of the stays are there. LOL!

If you can rent points, the SSR might be the best option. I think you will enjoy it there and then be able to get a taste of it.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #78
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to point out (since you mentioned it) that the food court at Art of Animation is supposed to be pretty spectacular (for a food court) See here

I really can't comment too much on the resorts. I love Pop Century and am booked at AoA so I obviously have a liking for the values! lol I tend to go there, sleep, shower, and get right back to the parks so I've never really needed more than that.

Having said that, SSR is kind of my dream resort at the moment and if you can rent points that does sound like a wonderful option.
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #79
amandaw
DIS Veteran

I think you have some really great options there!

Here are the 3 options that I think I like the best (in no particular order):

- Rent the points for 2 nights at SSR
- 2 nights in a Royal Room @ POR
- 1 nights @ AoA & 1 night in a Royal Room @ POR

Can't wait to hear what you decide!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #80
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
It's a very hard decision. I want to stay at POFQ too. I am obsessed wit hgetting there...BUT I have 3 resorts for my upcoming trip and none of the stays are there. LOL!

If you can rent points, the SSR might be the best option. I think you will enjoy it there and then be able to get a taste of it.
Ugh, now I kind of want to stay at POFQ I really want to try all the resorts, so I'll get there one day.

SSR does seem to make sense. I do think it might be a better for a week long trip though. Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
I just wanted to point out (since you mentioned it) that the food court at Art of Animation is supposed to be pretty spectacular (for a food court) See here

I really can't comment too much on the resorts. I love Pop Century and am booked at AoA so I obviously have a liking for the values! lol I tend to go there, sleep, shower, and get right back to the parks so I've never really needed more than that.

Having said that, SSR is kind of my dream resort at the moment and if you can rent points that does sound like a wonderful option.
I think you'll like my update. Darn Disney Blogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
I think you have some really great options there!

Here are the 3 options that I think I like the best (in no particular order):

- Rent the points for 2 nights at SSR
- 2 nights in a Royal Room @ POR
- 1 nights @ AoA & 1 night in a Royal Room @ POR

Can't wait to hear what you decide!
Thanks for your votes. I am surprised no one said Swan. Not Disney enough, I guess. It just seems so easy to get over to DHS that night though.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #81
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Over the weekend I booked our resort.

Iíve decided that I would love to stay at SSR, but am going to save it for a trip where I actually get to enjoy it.

I decided on doing a split stay between AOA and the Swan. I tried to book my night at the Swan and had a horrible time trying to log onto the Starwood members website. I e-mailed costumer service and they had to reset my account. I tried again. Couldnít get on. Called. The girl said she fixed it and I should be able to log on. Tried again. Nope. Apparently somehow my old e-mail address got merged with my new, but didnít actually get merged right. It should be fixed but I am still unable to log on. It keeps telling me to reset my password and then, when I do it tells me my account isnít active or something.Just forget it Swan, you lost your chance.

I happened to be browsing the DIs and there has been a lot of pictures on AOA. It looks AMAZING and they only have pictures of the 2 sections I will probably like least. I asked Caitlin and she said she was okay with no waterslide so we are now booked for 2 nights at

In a little Mermaid room. Nemo and Cars arenít really in my favorites of Disney movies, but the Lion King section looks like it will be adorable. However I am not spending $250 a night to stay in the family suite. No thanks, maybe if we ever have a bigger family.

We are super excited to try out the pools and the food court.

I was going to wait to book but I didnít want to take the chance of not getting the room. It looks like half the Dis board is going to be in the LM rooms that week.

I am a resort changer and it could change if I decide to stay at a host resort. Right now I think Iíll be okay grabbing a cab or just using our rental. Iíll decide once more info is released on the race.

I also need to really watch my budget, because I am kind of thinking of trying to still get to the Princess Half in Feb. instead of waiting until 2014. I wonít be able to figure that out until July or so but I want to make sure I have money put aside in case it works out.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #82
amazingact21
Upendi

Sorry about the email misshap and the trouble with the Swan. I'm sure it would've been a great resort, but at least now you don't have to worry about doing a split stay.

Plus, by staying at a value, you're able to put a little more money away for a potential Princess Half trip.
I think AoA looks awesome, but there haven't really been any pictures of the LM rooms yet, so it's hard to judge whether or not you'll like it.
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports:Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle -A May '14 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 TR/December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
amazingact21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #83
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Subscribing! Wish I was going to be at the Tower of Terror run this year. I'll have to live vicariously through your report! Have a great time!
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #84
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Sorry I missed your dilemma! Although, I think you made a good choice as you probably do want more time to enjoy SSR. It is a beautiful resort with a beautiful pool. I loved my stay there, save for how spread out things were. Again, I think I got totally spoiled at BC last summer because we were so close to the main elevator to the lobby. I was in the marketplace in a few minutes, which I loved. That said, SSR really is gorgeous. Its very serene, too. I would absolutely stay there again.

I'd love to stay in the Cars section of AoA. I know Max would absolutely love it, but I'm not about to spend that kind of money for a suite we don't need.

I think you're going to have a wonderful trip!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #85
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
Don't worry, you didn't miss much. The week I started this PTR, I was hardly working. The next week I took the part time position but somehow ended up picking up extra hours and have been pretty much full time and have had no good DIS time

Is the whole family going back in July? It's not a adults only trip right? I have no idea why I thought you were going on an adults only trip, lack of sleep is making TR's blur together.....
I had been hoping (and talking about) an adult only trip in October for the F&W. This July trip is the whole family and was a last minute vacation. Of course you probably have figured this out by reading the little I have done on my PTR! My work has been kicking me all over the place...so I feel for you and your work business too!! I have seen pictures of AoA and it looks so amazing!! They have really put a lot into it for a value resort! I love the Cars section but I did like that movie also. I bet you guys will love it!! Oh and the cruise is the same itinerary Chris wants! I really liked Grand Cayman when we stopped there.
TinksThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #86
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Too bad about your mess-up with the Swan but... Hooray for AoA!!! hahaha I know a lot of people have been unable to snag a Mermaid room because they're selling out really fast. Glad you got one!
The pool may not have a slide but it does have the underwater sound system and zero entry. It's still pretty cool, I bet Caitlin will like it.
The Lion King and The Little Mermaid are my two favourites too and of course, they open last and there aren't many pictures yet. But if you can judge them by what's been done already I think its safe to say that they'll be pretty amazing.
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #87
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Woo Hoo for AoA! How exciting that y'all will get to check out a brand new resort. I can't wait to hear about it & see pictures!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #88
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Sounds like a great plan. I am staying at AoA this fall too. Claire just loves the pictures of it and Little Mermaid is one of her favorites too.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #89
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
Sorry about the email misshap and the trouble with the Swan. I'm sure it would've been a great resort, but at least now you don't have to worry about doing a split stay.

Plus, by staying at a value, you're able to put a little more money away for a potential Princess Half trip.
I think AoA looks awesome, but there haven't really been any pictures of the LM rooms yet, so it's hard to judge whether or not you'll like it.

I can't wait until they release photos of the Lion King and LM. The Cars and Nemo sections look AMAZING and those movies are on the bottom of my favorite Disney movies.

You are right about saving money for the Feb trip. The cheaper I can get each trip, the more trips I get to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post
Subscribing! Wish I was going to be at the Tower of Terror run this year. I'll have to live vicariously through your report! Have a great time!
Thanks! I can't wait, the Disney runs looks like so much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Sorry I missed your dilemma! Although, I think you made a good choice as you probably do want more time to enjoy SSR. It is a beautiful resort with a beautiful pool. I loved my stay there, save for how spread out things were. Again, I think I got totally spoiled at BC last summer because we were so close to the main elevator to the lobby. I was in the marketplace in a few minutes, which I loved. That said, SSR really is gorgeous. Its very serene, too. I would absolutely stay there again.

I'd love to stay in the Cars section of AoA. I know Max would absolutely love it, but I'm not about to spend that kind of money for a suite we don't need.

I think you're going to have a wonderful trip!
I don't think I would want to spend money on the suites either. If I am paying that much for a room, I would rather stay at AKL or something. The theming does look amazing though.

I'm glad to hear you liked SSR. It is on my short list if we make it back in Feb. Did you take advantage of being near DTD more? I like to daydream about being able to hop over there to try all of the dining choices like WPE, Raglan Road, T-rex,etc. but I'm sure that is easier said than done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
I had been hoping (and talking about) an adult only trip in October for the F&W. This July trip is the whole family and was a last minute vacation. Of course you probably have figured this out by reading the little I have done on my PTR! My work has been kicking me all over the place...so I feel for you and your work business too!! I have seen pictures of AoA and it looks so amazing!! They have really put a lot into it for a value resort! I love the Cars section but I did like that movie also. I bet you guys will love it!! Oh and the cruise is the same itinerary Chris wants! I really liked Grand Cayman when we stopped there.
I can't believe the amount of detail they have put into AOA. I'm suprised they didn't just do away with the non suite rooms so that they could classify it as a moderate.

Glad to hear you liked Grand Cayman. I still have second thoughts about the Western over the Eastern, but am letting DH have all the say for that. I think he has gone along with enough of my vacations to be able to choose 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Too bad about your mess-up with the Swan but... Hooray for AoA!!! hahaha I know a lot of people have been unable to snag a Mermaid room because they're selling out really fast. Glad you got one!
The pool may not have a slide but it does have the underwater sound system and zero entry. It's still pretty cool, I bet Caitlin will like it.
The Lion King and The Little Mermaid are my two favourites too and of course, they open last and there aren't many pictures yet. But if you can judge them by what's been done already I think its safe to say that they'll be pretty amazing.
Caitlin can't wait to hear the underwater sounds. I think that is what sold her. I have been having a few second thoughts and wanted to switch to AKL but Caitlin is now insisting we stay at AOA. I just can't wait to see the other two sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Woo Hoo for AoA! How exciting that y'all will get to check out a brand new resort. I can't wait to hear about it & see pictures!

I am pretty excited, the resort looks like fun. Plus I get to save money for more trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Sounds like a great plan. I am staying at AoA this fall too. Claire just loves the pictures of it and Little Mermaid is one of her favorites too.
I really thought about switching but Caitlin is insisting we stay put. I am just a little worried about how packed it will be since the LM section is only opening two weeks before. It seems like everyone on the resort board will be there that month
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #90
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Updates, updates, updates. So many updates, where do I begin?

We had a busy weekend filled with good stuff and also a little time to really think about future vacation plans.

Let’s start backwards, shall we? (I have to upload the pictures for the other updates)

Running update

As you all know, I am planning to run in the TOT 10 miler this Sept. I am also hoping to make it to the Princess Half Marathon in Feb. My running has taken a hit with my horrible work schedule but I have managed to squeeze in a few awful runs over the last few weeks.

Since my work schedule isn’t too bad this month, I am going to start my official 10mile training this week. 3 runs a week- 2 3 mile runs and a long run each week. No excuses.

I even bought myself a little pre Mother’s Day present to help get motivated. A Garmin 110 Forerunner to help keep a more accurate pace/distance. It should be arriving later today.

I also bought myself a new ipod last week since I lost mine last year and DH’s isn’t working right anymore.

When I started the Couch to 5k I hovered around the 12:50min/mil with a final 5k time of around 37.5-38.5minute time. I’ve done a few 5ks and the time goes down a little bit with the last one last week with a time of 37something? I am hovering right at the 12 minute mile.

Yesterday I ran a local 5k with my friend who has done them all with me and we finally broke our time. We started in the middle of the crowd instead of the back so that we didn’t get stuck with the walkers, which I think helped. We started off pretty fast and I really didn’t think I would be able to keep up, but I just thought about running until I couldn’t keep up anymore. First mile came, 10:30. Awesome! Still feeling pretty good. Then my friend stops. Darn it. She has always stopped when I needed to so we walked for a few seconds. We picked up right where we left off. Somehow we made it through mile 2 and 3 with only a quick stop at the water station.

I was hoping to finish in at least 35 minutes, but hit the finish line around 33:44? (I can’t find the official time listed yet) Which brings the pace to around 10:54ish. Whoo-hoo. That’s over 3 minutes off our recent runs!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: