Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
vitani88
Mouseketeer

Should I buy a camera for Disney World or use my iPhone 4S? Camera or iPhone 4S?

I've been twice and used different iPhones. Neither the iPhone 3gs or the iPhone4 took very good photos in low light.

This year, I'm trying to decide whether to get a camera. I wouldn't get an expensive one.

I have an iPhone 4s this year. My question is, what would be the best option? Get one of these two cameras or stay with the 4s? I'm particularly concerned about getting good pictures in the shows which tend to be low light. Thanks!
vitani88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitani88 View Post
I've been twice and used different iPhones. Neither the iPhone 3gs or the iPhone4 took very good photos in low light.

This year, I'm trying to decide whether to get a camera. I wouldn't get an expensive one.

I have an iPhone 4s this year. My question is, what would be the best option? Get one of these two cameras or stay with the 4s? I'm particularly concerned about getting good pictures in the shows which tend to be low light. Thanks!
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but most small sensor cameras, whether they be Iphone or inexpensive P & S, will struggle in low light. In good light most cameras will give you a good image. If those are your choices, save your money and use the Iphone. You are not going to improve your image with an inexpensive P & S.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
YesDear
Admired by the Tag Fairy for such a brilliant user name!Looks more like Sully, acts more like Stitch

While I have a 4s Iphone and think the camera is amazing as a phone camera, it can take decent pictures in normal light, but was not designed for low light.

Get a camera!

"Also cute and fluffy" Stitch
YesDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
traylorc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but most small sensor cameras, whether they be Iphone or inexpensive P & S, will struggle in low light. In good light most cameras will give you a good image. If those are your choices, save your money and use the Iphone. You are not going to improve your image with an inexpensive P & S.
I wholeheartedly agree... the biggest issue regarding successful low light photography is having the proper tools (i.e. a good camera with the ability to crank up the ISO without significant noise and some fast glass). As Gianna'sPapa mentioned, a inexpensive P&S will struggle with low light situations. Heck, some of the entry to mid level DSLR cameras may struggle with low light situations.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
mjallemand
Est. 1985

The iPhone 4/4S makes a decent replacement of a low-end point & shoot, but if you want anything nicer than what a $100 wal-mart digital camera could get you, you're best off getting a real camera.

For me, my iPhone 4 has replaced my Canon point 'n shoot, which I've sold to put towards the purchase of a Fujifilm X10 in the coming months.
mjallemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥

I love my iphone camera, it really takes great pictures not to mention all the cool apps you can use to create great pictures, and I do take tons of pics with my iphone, however you'll need a regular camera for low light pictures, I always take my regular cameras to trips and specially to Disney.

Instagram: roxyy39

PixieDust32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥

Last edited by PixieDust32; 03-19-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥

Last edited by PixieDust32; 03-19-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
W8n4night
Earning My Ears

Suggesting the camera

I have an Blackberry son an Iphone both have a decent camera option and yes occasionally you'll catch a good shot but history has taught me it just won't happen often enough.

No doubt you'll grab shots worth posting to Facebook and emailing to family but in my view that's about it. If that's all you want from your photos you're good to go. This is not to say you need a upper level DSLR and lens options either, it boils down to you determining what you want from your photos.

I went to WDW this Feb and we used a Canon G12 which is perhaps a mid-upper level point and shoot. New model coming out but you can still get one of these for ~ 500.00. A fantastic camera IMO.

We also cart along a Kodak Zx5 waterproof, takes a decent quick pic and does 1080 vid .. but is lame in low light. Upside cheap like crazy.

Having tried it phone only .. for me I just don't get enough photos of a quality I'd print and mount.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥

The iphone4 is 5 megapixel.. the iphone4s is 8 megapixels, way better camera. I used to have a nikon coolpix 4Megapixels (years ago) I took great pics at disney. But I agree for a better quality of prints just use a regular camera.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitani88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieDust32 View Post
The iphone4 is 5 megapixel.. the iphone4s is 8 megapixels, way better camera. I used to have a nikon coolpix 4Megapixels (years ago) I took great pics at disney. But I agree for a better quality of prints just use a regular camera.
I want to go back to what the OP originally stated. Inexpensive camera or Iphone 4s. I don't know what inexpensive camera means to the OP. If it means the $99 special, then stay with the Iphone. If it means $500> for a high end P & S or superzoom then go with the camera. My definition of "not expensive" is the $99 special! After re-reading the OP's opening thread I realized they did not define "not expensive".
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #12
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
I want to go back to what the OP originally stated. Inexpensive camera or Iphone 4s. I don't know what inexpensive camera means to the OP. If it means the $99 special, then stay with the Iphone. If it means $500> for a high end P & S or superzoom then go with the camera. My definition of "not expensive" is the $99 special! After re-reading the OP's opening thread I realized they did not define "not expensive".
Make sense. I bought my teen a sony cybershot for 100.00 for christmas, its a great camera, I cant remember the exact model but is not super expensive and its a great great compact camera, lots of cool features.

My iphone wasn't 500 bucks but I get your point, I like my iphone because I guess i love playing with all the apps and instant sharing...

Old 03-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
AndreeaScott
Mouseketeer

i would recommend getting a camera rather than using your phone. This camera is a really high quality and can shoot in all kind of lighting conditions. Also it really light weight and cheap. This one is selling for 20 dollars!
AndreeaScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
rtphokie
Photo board moderator

DISboards Moderator

While cell phones produce far better photos today than they did just a couple of years ago, none of them, iPhone 4S included (my wife has one) perform very well in low light. Even a sub $100 point an shoot can outperform any cellphone.

Cellphones also cant produce the quick shutter times needed to stop the action that even an inexpensive camera can. The result is blurry shots.

If you are going to be at DisneyWorld in the daylight only and never take photo indoors, you can get away with just a cellphone. But that's probably not how your vacation will be. It's work a few extra $$ and an extra thing to carry for a dedicated camera, even an inexpensive one.

my $.02
rtphokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: