Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #46
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak616 View Post
I'm in!! So excited for the new TR!!
Glad you're joining us

Old 03-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #47
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post
Yay! I'm in. DD and I are doing a mother daughter trip in May and can't wait for it! I'll live vicariously through your trip while we do the countdown...

Welcome!

May will be here before you know it! I hope you have asmuch fun as we did

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #48
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Yay! I love reading about mom and daughter trips. I'm planning one for November and my mom's never been to anything Disney! Excited to read about yours!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #49
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

And away we go....

Our adventure began on Feb 23. Our flight wasn't until 11:30 but of course we were up super early! I mean REALLY we were going to DISNEYWORLD

If you've been with us before you know Caitlin is a fitness junkie and since she was up so early she hit the gym at 7am I am not that crazed so I stayed home and rechecked everything and passed the time with a little Disboards and Facebook. She got back around 8:30 and we decided to go out for breakfast since we didn't have any dining plans until 6pm that evening. We grabbed breakfast at the local Coney Island 5 minutes away and then shortly after we got back home my dad arrived to take us to the airport. (Dale had to work early and didn't get to see us off)

We arrived at Detroit Metro Airport about 9:45 and since we had checked in online went straight to the TSA line. I could not get over how long the line was! We normally fly earlier in the morning and we're the only ones there! (I think part of the issue was that a major snowstorm had been predicted for the next morning and everyone was trying to get out of town before it hit)

We ended up in line behind a very unique looking woman. Her hair was various shades of pink and purple and a section was even cheetah printed! Her clothes continued the color scheme and animal print theme. We entertained ourselves for a while discussing what her career might be. Afterall, how many professions allow cheetah print hair?

As we headed to our gate we saw this plane out the window and Caitlin let out a shreik! She loves penguins. People looked at her like she was crazy and had never seen a plane before

Before we knew it it was time to board and we had the smoothest flight ever!! If only coming home had been so easy.....but I am getting ahead of myself.

We arrived in MCO and quickly made our way down to the Magical Express area. Doesn't it feel like the magic is starting when you head down that red carpet?!

Our bus was already waiting so we gave the driver our bags and hopped on. Our driver was a lot of fun and had everyone cheering when we passed under the Welcome to Disney World sign

Port Orleans Riverside was the first stop and I dashed off the bus to checkin while Caitlin got our bags and tipped the driver.

As luck would have it the computer system was down when we arrived and they had a hard time finding our reservation, let alone acknowledging our room requests. This was a little frustrating but we were so excited to be there that it was easy to let it slide

They assigned us room 1701. I had requested building 14 so we could get a rehabed room.

The CM made it seem like the room was super close we decided we'd take our bags ourselves. Our "bags" were 2 giant tote bags, 2 carryon suitcases and a camera backpack. This was a huge mistake. The bags were all over loaded and heavy and it was 82 degrees and when we got lost trying to find our room we were not feeling the magic

When we got in the room I did a quick cleaning with Lysol wipes(yep I am one of those) while Caitlin took pics of the room.

We had a nice corner room so we had the double windows

I had ordered Caitlin a surprise that was supposed to be in the room when we arrived. Instead I was the one that was surprised when it wasn't there. I tried not to worry about it and figured it would be delivered when our checked bag was. We then freshened up and headed for the POR boat landing. We were going to do a bit of shopping before our dinner adr.

**continued next post

Old 03-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #50
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

How about a tour of POR? Hang on, here we go.....

Our building

It's such a treat to leave winter at home and see some flowers!

We arrived just as the boat was taking off so we had to wait around 15 minutes for the next. One thing we learned is that they only fill the boat about halfway at POR because it has to stop at POFQ too.

While we waited for the next boat Caitlin took more pictures while I called Dale and let him know we'd arrived safely.

As we waited more people arrived and I realized Caitlin was the only young person there. Heck I looked young compared to the other guests! For some reason during our stay there the majority of guests were senior citizens travelling with other couples without any kids or grandkids. When the boat arrived the Captain came over and told Caitlin she was in charge of getting everyone on the boat. He teased her that she was the "boss". She got a kick out of it and our ride was a lot of fun.

I love the look of the French Quarter! So colorful!

And isn't this pool cool?!

Along the way we passed a lot of birds

This looked posed for

Soon our destination was in sight

We haven't eaten in here in several years but we love Fulton's!

We disembarked and headed for some shopping....

I'll end here and let Caitlin tell you all about our fun at Downtown Disney...thanks for reading

Old 03-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #51
MEK
DIS Veteran

So did you fly on the penguin plane?

Glad you had an uneventful flight and a quick arrival. I have never stayed in that part of POR and the room is so cute. I love the picture of your building through the trees. It looks so pretty there!

Senior citizen convention at POR?

I know what you mean about dragging your luggage all over and not finding the room? I think they must tell everyone that their room is close.

Great pictures! Off to a great start!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 03-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #52
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Yay, first update! Hahah I saw Caitlin's tweet about the penguin plane, too cute!

Aw, that stinks that you didn't get a refurbed room since you'd requested one... AND that the surprise wasn't in the room! :sad2 I hope it arrived sooner rather than later!

The POR pictures are beautiful! I never realized it was such a pretty resort.

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
Old 03-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #53
PlutosRHM55
Pluto's Un-Mentioned Manager

Location: Amongst the thousand happy haunts beginning to materialize, but suffering a disquieting metamorphosis... Your cadaverous pallor portrays an aura of foreboding, you know?

YAY! It's begun! Great start, btw.

Of course you would be up super early for a trip to DISNEY WORLD! I think at this point that is just a monotony among TRs. People who love Disney can't sleep when the next day they are going to said place! lol to going on DISboards the morning of your departure. So awesome that you live next to Coney Island, it really sounds like a cool place, definitely one place I would love to go to

Good to hear you got through security and everything else with no trouble. at the lady with the crazy hair and ensemble. I really do wonder what her profession could possibly be to Caitlin's crazy shriek for the penguins on the plane, because that is just the best thing I've heard of a person doing when they see a plane. Too bad you didn't get to fly in that one, but at least you had a nice flight otherwise.

WOOT! Time for the ME! Absolutely the best thing to start off your trip with and that's awesome to hear you had a great driver, that only makes the beginning of a trip more fun-er haha And then having your resort be the first stop, always a plus.

Sorry to hear there was some computer trouble checking in, but at least they got to your reservation without calling in the geek squad (: Glad to hear all your room requests were honored (even though you had to haul your bags in the heat all the way over there, ugghh...), the new refurbed rooms look really nice, though Port Orleans Riverside is gorgeous already. Someday I will definitely have to stay there For now, I will just look at your lovely pictures.

Beautiful photos of POR! Disney really did a nice job with this resort. The greenery, the buildings, the rooms... oh can I just go there now! Love how you tinted some of the photos too, very cool. And that's interesting how they only have the boats filled halfway, but I guess it works with two resort sharing one boat.

Haha @ being stuck with all the seniors. I've never seen them alone without grandchildren. Strange... well, Disney is for all ages, the young at heart. Love the photos of POFQ and of DTD as a whole, so very pretty! :D

Can't wait to hear about DTD and what your surprise for Caitlin is!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #54
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Great update! The penguins on the tail of that plane are adorable! Love the corner room...I love a bright room so with two windows I'm sure it was very bright! Lysol wipes are my best friend when we first arrive....nothing like knowing the room is clean to my standings! Cannot wait to hear about shopping at DTD.....
Old 03-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #55
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Yes, I also Lysol the hotel room as soon as we arrive. Learned that lesson the hard way!

I love love love that boat ride to DTD! So relaxing. Sorry about the bumps in the road, but it still sounds like you're off to a good start!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #56
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam33 View Post
Yay! I love reading about mom and daughter trips. I'm planning one for November and my mom's never been to anything Disney! Excited to read about yours!

How exciting to be planning your Mom's first trip!I hope you both have a wonderful time!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #57
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
So did you fly on the penguin plane?

Glad you had an uneventful flight and a quick arrival. I have never stayed in that part of POR and the room is so cute. I love the picture of your building through the trees. It looks so pretty there!

Senior citizen convention at POR?

I know what you mean about dragging your luggage all over and not finding the room? I think they must tell everyone that their room is close.

Great pictures! Off to a great start!
The penguin plan wasn't ours. We just had a boring regular one

I prefer the "Alligator Bayou" section to the mansions. You feel like you're walking along a secluded "country" path and it's very calm and peaceful.

It was really odd all the seniors there but they were all having so much fun that it was proof that you never out grow Disney World

Thanks

Old 03-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #58
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Yay, first update! Hahah I saw Caitlin's tweet about the penguin plane, too cute!

Yeah she was reallyexcited about that plane

Aw, that stinks that you didn't get a refurbed room since you'd requested one... AND that the surprise wasn't in the room! :sad2 I hope it arrived sooner rather than later!

There are never guarantees when you request a room but I was kinda disappointed. As for the surprise, well that took a while

The POR pictures are beautiful! I never realized it was such a pretty resort.
POR really is a very pretty resort. IMO it is the prettiest of the moderates and I love the boat ride to DTD

Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #59
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosRHM55 View Post
YAY! It's begun! Great start, btw.

Of course you would be up super early for a trip to DISNEY WORLD! I think at this point that is just a monotony among TRs. People who love Disney can't sleep when the next day they are going to said place! lol to going on DISboards the morning of your departure. So awesome that you live next to Coney Island, it really sounds like a cool place, definitely one place I would love to go to

Ialwasy feel like that little boy from the old WDW commercial "I'm too excited to sleep!"

Good to hear you got through security and everything else with no trouble. at the lady with the crazy hair and ensemble. I really do wonder what her profession could possibly be to Caitlin's crazy shriek for the penguins on the plane, because that is just the best thing I've heard of a person doing when they see a plane. Too bad you didn't get to fly in that one, but at least you had a nice flight otherwise.

We were speculating she was a stripper but her figure didn't seem to indicate that profession

WOOT! Time for the ME! Absolutely the best thing to start off your trip with and that's awesome to hear you had a great driver, that only makes the beginning of a trip more fun-er haha And then having your resort be the first stop, always a plus.
He was the most enthusiastic driver we've ever had

Sorry to hear there was some computer trouble checking in, but at least they got to your reservation without calling in the geek squad (: Glad to hear all your room requests were honored (even though you had to haul your bags in the heat all the way over there, ugghh...), the new refurbed rooms look really nice, though Port Orleans Riverside is gorgeous already. Someday I will definitely have to stay there For now, I will just look at your lovely pictures.

POR is a lovely resort and very serene. It is really spread out though and some of the buildings are really far from the food court etc

Beautiful photos of POR! Disney really did a nice job with this resort. The greenery, the buildings, the rooms... oh can I just go there now! Love how you tinted some of the photos too, very cool. And that's interesting how they only have the boats filled halfway, but I guess it works with two resort sharing one boat.

Caitlin and I had a conversation one day about how long it must have taken to get that resort ready to open with all trees and flowers they planted. The landscaping is lovely!

Haha @ being stuck with all the seniors. I've never seen them alone without grandchildren. Strange... well, Disney is for all ages, the young at heart. Love the photos of POFQ and of DTD as a whole, so very pretty! :D

It was Senior Citizen Spring Break and they were having a fantastic time!

Can't wait to hear about DTD and what your surprise for Caitlin is!

Caitlin's looking forward to sharing her purchases

Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #60
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Great update! The penguins on the tail of that plane are adorable! Love the corner room...I love a bright room so with two windows I'm sure it was very bright! Lysol wipes are my best friend when we first arrive....nothing like knowing the room is clean to my standings! Cannot wait to hear about shopping at DTD.....

Thanks
Isn't that the cutest plane?!
I like to do a quick cleaning especially since it was during flu season. Being sick at Disney is the worst!
There may have been some purchases made and we dined at a favorite of yours

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: