Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
santom
Earning My Ears

Parasailing on Castaway Cay question

I see there is a minimum weight of 90lbs. Is this the minimum no matter what or is that the weight to go alone? We were interested in doing this but both my DD's are less then 90lbs but are old enough for this.

Thanks,
Sandy
santom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

They can go together & meet the weight limit..in fact they almost always send up two "in tandem" in believe it is called..they will love going over the island Paradise! Happy Cruising!

disneybeachprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

I asked the same question not that long ago. DD is 8 but nowhere near 90 pounds.
Someone told me that Disney told them the weight had to be 90 whether they went solo or tandem.
The majority of people who answered said they never asked ahead of time and Disney let the under 90 pound child parasail with an adult.

I booked it for our April cruise and I'm just not asking ahead of time.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

Roliepolieoliefan...good thinking! Can't hurt NOT to ask!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
santom
Earning My Ears

Thanks. I am going to contact Disney because I don't want to pay for the excursion and get there and not be able to have either of my DD's go and be out the money and have to sad girls. They will be 13 and almost 11 on the cruise and right now are 83 and 72lbs. They are tall and skinny so someone looking at them would question if they are 90lbs.

Also, if we are able to do this would I be able to leave my DS5 at the Kids Club on the island while we went on the excursion. I am going to be signing him up for the Club.

Trying to get everything pinned down before next weekend when I can checkin and book excursions.

Sandy
Old 03-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

Yes the kids club has an area on the island & they also get to eat lunch early (11:30 am) before everyone else. They have activities to do like scavenger hunts, etc. Our DS 11 loves spending time there & then w/us as well. You will LOVE the island! And don't miss the crab races! A real fun time! Happy cruising!

Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
ppiew
DIS Veteran

what to do with a 9 yr old who wants to parasailing, but have no adult to go tandem with her?
ppiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
disneybeachprincess
Disney Girl from Day One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppiew View Post
what to do with a 9 yr old who wants to parasailing, but have no adult to go tandem with her?
good question ppiew...i'd suggest calling dcl for an answer...as OP says it is best to know before paying for the excursion & then not being able to go...

Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Alexander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppiew View Post
It does say that even if you only book one person, you may be sent up tandem anyways. I personally wouldn't want to be with someone that I didn't know and I certainly wouldn't want my 9 y/o with a stranger!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

So my husband and I are booked but together we would be over the weight limit for tandem. Does this mean they will send me up with a stranger? I was looking fwd to appreciating the quiet of it by myself. May be cancelling this...
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
over50visits
DIS Veteran

You cannot go alone. The staff there will lie to you and tell you they are doubling up people for safety reasons, but they are really doing it to maximize the number of sailings they can sell (I was suspicious when they did this to my DS, and asked the manager, and she confirmed they don't have "time" for single rides, and that's "just how we explain it"). It is a blast, but recognize you will almost certainly be paired up with someone, and if you are a single it will be a stranger.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
santom
Earning My Ears

I received an email back from Disney and yes if under 90lbs they can tandem with another person. My girls are going to be so happy. My DS on the other hand is going to be mad because he is 5 and thinks he is 10 and go do everything his sisters do.

Here is the email:

Thank you for choosing a Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist with information regarding parasailing at Disney's Castaway Cay.

Guests who do not meet the minimum weight requirement of 90 lbs, per person, can tandem with another Guest as long as the maximum weight requirement of 375 lbs. is not exceeded.

In addition, it is not possible to 'ride-along' with another Guest. All Guests will need to reserve the excursion.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you!

Have a Magical Day!

Kaye
Reservations Department
Disney Cruise Line
Old 03-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
You cannot go alone. The staff there will lie to you and tell you they are doubling up people for safety reasons, but they are really doing it to maximize the number of sailings they can sell (I was suspicious when they did this to my DS, and asked the manager, and she confirmed they don't have "time" for single rides, and that's "just how we explain it"). It is a blast, but recognize you will almost certainly be paired up with someone, and if you are a single it will be a stranger.
Thanks

I guess my next question is... how do I cancel an excursion? Can I do it myself online or do I need to tell my TA? I guess we will be leaving with an extra $200 in our pocket. Cause I am NOT going up in the air with some random stranger... that would just not be fun at all.
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
over50visits
DIS Veteran

You can cancel it the same way you made it (online or with a TA).

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just warning you as to what to expect. DS enjoyed the excursion because he was paired up with a nice partner, but I have observed some unhappy people when they found out how things worked, and were told when they asked for a single ride that it was a "safety" issue (I guess that didn't apply to the last rider, who was their only single that day, since he was the last one left). It just left a bad taste in my mouth (that on top of the offensive off-color jokes they told during the briefing at the start). We will not take that excursion again, ever. But really, consider what others have to say before you commit to cancel.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
Weedy
DIS Veteran

In addition, it is not possible to 'ride-along' with another Guest. All Guests will need to reserve the excursion.

Notice this part: I think this part states You will not be able to ride-along in the boat. The girls will go out in the boat alone.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: