Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #76
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicehatter View Post
It really wasn't too sweet at all! Since they don't use refined sugar - and not even a ton of unrefined, at that - it gives it just the right amount of sweetness. The flavor is pretty incredible
Thanks!! I'll have to make sure to stop there at least one of the times we'll be in DTD. It'll be nice to eat a cupcake without my DH getting on to me for "wasting the best part" when I take almost all of the icing off.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #77
DonnaBoo
DIS Veteran

You are so right about rarely getting dessert. One of the reasons I love going to Disney is the delicious gluten free food.

Disney Trip#1 2006 Disney Wedding Disneymoon Dec2008 Halloween1 Sept2009 Halloween2 Sept2011 Halloween3/Universal Studios Sept2012
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. what a ride!
DonnaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #78
alicehatter
Living in Wonderland, Married to the Mad Hatter, with Everything as it SHOULD be. (aka mandibc11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaBoo View Post
You are so right about rarely getting dessert. One of the reasons I love going to Disney is the delicious gluten free food.
Yep! And it seems everytime we go back, they have MORE items for me!
alicehatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #79
alicehatter
Living in Wonderland, Married to the Mad Hatter, with Everything as it SHOULD be. (aka mandibc11)

Citricos at Disney's Grand Floridian

No matter the locations I travel to or the posh hotels I sleep in, I will always love Disney’s Grand Floridian the most. The beautiful lobby with its larger-than-life bird cages, the smells that envelope you in a warm embrace, and the feeling of falling down the rabbit hole to find yourself in the Victorian era all make me giddy with excitement!

For Jeremy's birthday, I gave him a massage at the GF spa. As he was being pampered, I simply sat in the lobby next to the piano player. I watched the families coming and going, content to just be in the moment – which is a big change for me!

We also had dinner at Citricos that evening, which is located on the second floor of the main building. It was truly a fantastic experience. The ambiance was hushed and calm – a nice departure from the chaos that some of Disney’s restaurants can have. The food was also divine, and the servers very understanding about my Gluten issues. It was a wonderful date night for us!

After being seated and ordering drinks, we both looked over the menu. Our server went to speak with the chef, and then brought him back with her so that he could discuss my options. He also brought a basket of bread with the tastiest butter…I had to capture it on camera and share it with you!

Jeremy began with the Duck Ravioli, and absolutely adored it. The sauce was rich and smooth, the duck tender, and the portion size perfect. I chose the Blue Crab Pave, which also turned out to be picture perfect. The capers made the dish, with their saltiness adding even more flavor to the avocado, crab and fennel-celery salad. Once again, the sauce highlighted it all. We are definitely sauce people!

After a small break, we ordered entrees. We had just enough time to sip at our drinks and take in the gorgeous views of the Grand Floridian’s lawns before the dishes were placed in front of us. In fact, I will say that they could have waited just a few moments more. Sometimes it's nice to simply sit and enjoy one another's company! They certainly didn't seem to be rushing us, but usually when we go to a more upscale restaurant, there is ample time between courses to chat and take in the surroundings. We've found that at Disney, sometimes you may need to hold onto your menu and wait to order, even if you already know what you want. Everyone is just doing their job, so this way you can control the speed of things a little more.

When the entrees arrived, I had to hold Jeremy back from attacking his plate so that I could snap a photo. How beautiful it was! Ever faithful to his favorites, Jeremy had ordered the Oak Grilled Filet. Before ordering, he had been torn between this and the Short Ribs, but after seeing the dish in all its glory he was glad he stuck with his first inclination. The filet was seated atop a mound of Quattro Formaggi mashed potatoes, and it was covered in a mouth-watering Glace de Viande. Topping it all were Spanish onions, peppadews and banana peppers.

Unlike my husband, I had gone out on a limb and ordered the Seared Tofu. After I saw it I also knew I had made the right decision. It was rich and comforting, with a sun-dried tomato sauce that was seasoned perfectly (again, the sauce!!). The Eggplant and Zucchini Ratatouille, Roasted Mushrooms, and Lentils all blended well with the tofu to create something that made me think of fireplaces and warm kitchens.

I had assumed that my dessert options wouldn’t include much beside sorbet, but I was extremely excited when the chef informed me he would be bringing me a REAL dessert.

Jeremy ordered the Lemon-Scented Cheesecake, which was pretty as a picture with its White Chocolate Ganache – he ate the entire thing.

I was able to have the Chocolate Banana Tart, which they make flourless. The chocolate that crowned my plate hailed from Belgium, and you’d better believe that I took a big bite out of it, as well!

Our experience was amazing – it simply reaffirmed my love for the Grand Floridian. Perhaps one day soon we will be able to stay there, but for now I can be content with visits to their lobby and experiences such as we had at Citricos. We even spotted a hidden mickey!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #80
giantstoindy
Nothing better than a Florida sunrise!

That tofu looks AMAZING! I'm so glad I made a ressie! Loving the reviews...
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

First Dining Review: June 23-29, 2012! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2950804
giantstoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #81
disneypofq05
DIS Veteran

I've really enjoyed reading your reviews. Your pictures are great and everything looks delicious - especially the chicken pot pie!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #82
Kewz1
DIS Veteran

Your whole report has been wonderful! Loved reading about your time at the GF. It's my ultimate favorite too. We were blessed enough to stay there for our honeymoon almost 22 years ago.

Thank you for taking us along on your trip to Wonderland!

Kristen
Disney 5K:2003
DCL:2000 (Wonder/Bahamas), 2008 (Magic/W. Caribbean), 2011 (Dream/Bahamas), 2013 (Magic/EB Transatlantic), 2014 (Dream/Mexico)... and now May 2015 (Dream/Bahamas)!

Kewz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #83
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Beautiful pictures of Citricos! I've had the crab pavé and chocolate banana tart and loved them both, and the tofu entree looks better than I expected.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #84
alicehatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantstoindy View Post
That tofu looks AMAZING! I'm so glad I made a ressie! Loving the reviews...
It was really delicious! Sometimes Tofu is just served as an afterthought (a way to appease vegetarians), but this dish really had some thought put into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypofq05 View Post
I've really enjoyed reading your reviews. Your pictures are great and everything looks delicious - especially the chicken pot pie!
Thanks so much! That pot pie was worth going back for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewz1 View Post
Your whole report has been wonderful! Loved reading about your time at the GF. It's my ultimate favorite too. We were blessed enough to stay there for our honeymoon almost 22 years ago.

Thank you for taking us along on your trip to Wonderland!

Kristen
Your honeymoon must have been amazing! I've always looked up at those balconies at the top of the GF and wondered what it would be like to be able to stay there. I really think I could LIVE there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Beautiful pictures of Citricos! I've had the crab pavé and chocolate banana tart and loved them both, and the tofu entree looks better than I expected.
Citricos is now probably in my top 5 - everything we had exceeded even our high expectations!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #85
alicehatter

A Day at Hogwarts

For this particular trip, we decided we would do something a little different and brave the world outside of Walt Disney.

We weren't sure what to expect, but I had seen a lot of amazing pictures of Universal's Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Seeing that both of us are enormous fans of both the books and movies (The Hatter dressed as Dumbledore for the midnight showing of the first film), we simply had to at least experience it once.

Before I get to my review of the tasty treats that the town of Hogwarts had to offer, I thought I would give you a bit of background on how the day progressed.

We left very early in the morning and arrived by way of Mears transportation before the park opened. There wasn't a huge queue like there can be at the parks in Disney, so I was hopeful. However, once they allowed us in, it was clear that everyone was heading in the same direction!

Prior to this, I had read enough trip reports to know that we absolutely HAD to go straight towards the Forbidden Journey ride. Rushing past the poor souls that stopped to snap pictures and sight see, I almost told them they were making a mistake - they could always take some photos later on. But greed got the best of me, and I snagged a place in line far ahead of the hordes of people gawking at the scenery. In fact, I was able to capture a few pictures from my stance in line, and I felt they turned out quite good!

Our wait in line was about an hour, which was slightly shocking, until we got off the ride and noticed that in the time we had been inside the walls, the wait had climbed to 2.5 hours! Phew - if we had seen that wait time I doubt we would have even bothered.

A word to anyone interested in experiencing Harry Potter Land - it's CROWDED. Almost to the point of not being fun. We weren't able to experience Ollivander's wand shop because the wait was over an hour (filled to the brim with pouting children), nor did we go through the hassle of standing in queue at any shop to make a purchase.

That is, until we arrived at Honeydukes - or Heaven, as I like to think of it. A candy-coated, gloriously sugar-laden Heaven.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #86
alicehatter

HoneyDukes

Universal may be smaller, less magical, and overly crowded in Harry Potter-ville, but one thing they've done right is THEMING.

The theming of everything in Hogwarts and Hogsmeade was quite honestly unbelievable. Down to the very last detail, they had ensured that it would be as realistic as possible. Quite a feat when planning a theme park that will be visited by millions each year.

Honeydukes was much the same. The outside facade, complete with a roof practically sagging under the weight of snow, was so realistic one would think they were in a small village in England (had it not been for the pushing and shoving of other park visitors).

Once inside, the aroma of warm, melted chocolate and sugar-filled bon bons hits with a force of its own. The walls are painted in inviting candy hues, the floor is a fun black and white tile, and every inch of space is taken up by something that simply screams JK Rowling and her conjured up world.

Disney would be wise to take note of the effort Universal goes to with their theming. I noticed that each gift shop sold something different - which has been lacking in the Disney Parks over the last few years. Having merchandise that is more original to the shop and land its being sold in would do a world of good to their sales, I have no doubt!

But back to the edible delights.

The line here - like everywhere else - was very long. Jeremy knew this was where I wanted to spend our money for the day, so he went to take his place in line while I shopped like the crazed, candy-loving person I am. I dodged other shoppers, pulled things from over little heads, and dove under taller people in my effort to secure the items I felt were crucial.

But here I had to pause. The Bertie Botts tower of Jelly Beans was simply something to stand in awe of. How beautiful! It all was, really. But I had to continue on my way, filling a bag full of fun treats that were sold by the pound, grabbing a chocolate frog, and debating the need for a Chocolate Cauldron, before handing it all to Jeremy.

While he paid I snapped photos. It was all so realistic!

Next to Honeydukes was Zonko's, the Joke shop. The two spaces were open to one another, so we headed in that direction and looked around before making our way back into the mayhem and heading towards the good stuff - Butter Beer and Pumpkin Juice.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #87
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

I agree about the shops! You can't find that much unique stuff in the shops anymore. And it used to be you could only find Epcot branded stuff in Epcot, but now you can find Epcot stuff in all four theme parks.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #88
scribega
Where's Perry??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicehatter View Post

With that said, doing both will be tricky, but I know that certain places will be easier than others. For example, anywhere there are Mickey Waffles for breakfast, you'll be able to feast on those! The batter they use is both vegan and gluten free. I know they have changed the breads they use in restaurants now, so you may not be able to get rolls (they have two versions - one is gluten free with eggs, and the other is vegan but has gluten). I have no idea why they did this!!
My DW and DD are gluten free and when we do breakfast at WDW they always bring them special mickey waffles. I am guessing you are talking about those being gluten free and not the waffles that put out on most buffets. Correct?
CBR - Oct. 2008
POP - Dec. 2009 - free dining
POP - March 2010 - quick biz trip
POP - Sept. 2010 - free dining
POP - Sept. 2011 - free dining
Disney Dream - Sept / POP - Sept. 2012 - free dining
-----
DISdad member #633
scribega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #89
alicehatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribega View Post
My DW and DD are gluten free and when we do breakfast at WDW they always bring them special mickey waffles. I am guessing you are talking about those being gluten free and not the waffles that put out on most buffets. Correct?
Yes! The special ones the chef brings out - they are so good! I believe they are gluten and dairy free, and vegan!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #90
DW2010
DIS Veteran

Amazing reviews! Does Alice and the Hatter dine at 1900 Park Fare for breakfast by chance ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: