Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #46
Snow Lily
Earning My Ears

I'm really enjoying your reviews! I read your last set as well, when you were vegan, and those were really great too!

Also, I wanted to ask you a question. I'm a gluten free vegan and since you had experience doing Disney both vegan on one trip and gluten free on another, I wondered if you ever noticed any particular items or restaurants where I might have luck with both of those things? Or advice in general? Tricky, I know! Haha. Keep up the great reviews!

.I'll make it there someday.

...I want adventure in the great wide somewhere.
Snow Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #47
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Hi! Great reviews as always, and I can't wait to read the rest! I'm doing the deluxe dining plan this fall and plan to eat at a lot of the same restaurants you did.

I eat a mostly vegan diet at home, but I do eat some fish and dairy sometimes, especially when I eat out, just because it's easier. Do you mind me asking why you switched from vegan to gluten-free? I'm just curious.
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #48
dolfinjuls
DIS Veteran

Am loving your pictures and reviews! You too are so cute!
1994: 1st Trip @ age 12 off-site, 2000: Senior Trip@ All-Star Sports, August 10-16th 2008 @ Pop! First trip with family!, July 20-30 2009 @ SSR! First trip as DVC members!, Nov 27-Dec 4 2010 @ Pop! 11/4-11/10/11 @ AKV/Pop!, Nov4-8th 2012 at DHHIR On deck: Oct 31-Nov 8 at Pop!
dolfinjuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #49
alicehatter
Living in Wonderland, Married to the Mad Hatter, with Everything as it SHOULD be. (aka mandibc11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissalee View Post
Yum! I love your reviews, photos and writing style. Flying Fish is a favorite of mine. I haven't been to Le Cellier in years and years, and I think that lunch on our next trip would be perfect. Thanks for taking the time to share your reviews - looking forward to more!
I feel the same! I think we'll do lunch there again, but probably not dinner. I want to spend my two credits other places, since I can eat there for only one!
alicehatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #50
alicehatter
Living in Wonderland, Married to the Mad Hatter, with Everything as it SHOULD be. (aka mandibc11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Lily View Post
I'm really enjoying your reviews! I read your last set as well, when you were vegan, and those were really great too!

Also, I wanted to ask you a question. I'm a gluten free vegan and since you had experience doing Disney both vegan on one trip and gluten free on another, I wondered if you ever noticed any particular items or restaurants where I might have luck with both of those things? Or advice in general? Tricky, I know! Haha. Keep up the great reviews!
Hi There! Well, it's obvious that going gluten free was easier than going while Vegan, but I had some of the best food I've ever eaten when I ordered as a Vegan!

With that said, doing both will be tricky, but I know that certain places will be easier than others. For example, anywhere there are Mickey Waffles for breakfast, you'll be able to feast on those! The batter they use is both vegan and gluten free. I know they have changed the breads they use in restaurants now, so you may not be able to get rolls (they have two versions - one is gluten free with eggs, and the other is vegan but has gluten). I have no idea why they did this!!

Raglan Road and Chefs De France both had really great veggie dishes that didn't contain any gluten, and I'm about positive that Mama Melrose would also be able to accommodate with their Vegan pizzas. The dough they use will probably be the same scenario as the Mickey Waffles.

Other than that, I would recommend going to the Grand Floridan Cafe, where Chef TJ is now working. Call ahead and make sure you go on a night he will be there. He is a whiz at Special Diets, and will be able to fix pretty much anything your heart desires!!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #51
alicehatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
Hi! Great reviews as always, and I can't wait to read the rest! I'm doing the deluxe dining plan this fall and plan to eat at a lot of the same restaurants you did.

I eat a mostly vegan diet at home, but I do eat some fish and dairy sometimes, especially when I eat out, just because it's easier. Do you mind me asking why you switched from vegan to gluten-free? I'm just curious.
Hi! Nope, I don't mind you asking me at all! Historically, I've had stomach issues since I was about 15. It has only been in the last few years that I've put my foot down and tried to do something about it, though. I first noticed that eating dairy seemed to help, and gave that up, but then quickly gave up all meat and animal products as well, simply because it made me feel so much better!

That only lasted for a few months though, and then I started feeling sick again. It turned out there was just too much soy in my diet since I wasn't eating anything else for protein sources. I decided to add eggs and some meat back in, and then went to a doctor to get to the root of the issue. They found that it wasn't dairy at all, but gluten that was the culprit!

I really enjoyed being Vegan - it made me feel good about myself, and I noticed what a supportive community there is! But because I couldn't eat tons of soy, I found that this works better for me. Hope that answers your question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfinjuls View Post
Am loving your pictures and reviews! You too are so cute!
Thanks so much!!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #52
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

I am really loving your review!! Thanks to reading it, I have solved my probelm about what entree to order at Yak & Yeti. The Malasian Seafood Curry looks so good!!

I have a question. I noticed that the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup is made with Moosehead beer. Does it have a strong taste of beer? The only reason I ask is that my bil made us some potato soup that had a very powerful beer taste to it, and I just can't stand beer. I would love to try that soup on our visit, but don't want to if it has a strong beer flavor to it.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #53
alicehatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
I have a question. I noticed that the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup is made with Moosehead beer. Does it have a strong taste of beer? The only reason I ask is that my bil made us some potato soup that had a very powerful beer taste to it, and I just can't stand beer. I would love to try that soup on our visit, but don't want to if it has a strong beer flavor to it.
I just asked my husband, and he said that NO it didn't have a strong beer taste; it had a strong, sharp cheese taste. He said it was terrific
Old 04-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #54
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicehatter View Post
I just asked my husband, and he said that NO it didn't have a strong beer taste; it had a strong, sharp cheese taste. He said it was terrific
Thank you both very much. One of the things that I am looking forward to the most about out trip is trying out new restaurants.

Also, y'all are just too adorable!! You would make a great Alice and Mad Hatter for the parks.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #55
alicehatter

Dinner at La Hacienda de San Angel

Staying at an Epcot resort has many perks. We were able to come back from Animal Kingdom, get cleaned up for dinner, and then just walk to Mexico for an early meal before heading to Downtown Disney to see a movie at the AMC theater.

We went a bit early in order to make sure we had plenty of time before our show started. With that in mind, we really just wanted to get some appetizers, but our eyes told us differently as we glanced over the menu.

La Hacienda de San Angel is one of Disney's newest restaurants. The decor itself is enough to tempt anyone to stray from their longtime favorites, with its bright tile, eclectic lighting, and a view that rivals anything in Epcot’s World Showcase. But the food – well, that’s another story altogether.

As per tradition, we began with a cocktail to kick off the evening in a festive manner. I went out on a limb and ordered the Mango Blueberry Basil Margarita, and was surprised at how great the combination of flavors turned out to be. The basil really enhanced the drink. Jeremy ordered a Dos Equis, because “When in Rome,” right?

One thing about Mexican food - it is usually naturally Gluten Free! All I had to do was get corn tortillas for some of the items and - voila - ready to be consumed.

We started with the Queso Fundido, which came out bubbling in a ceramic dish filled with peppers and chorizo. Of course chips and salsa accompanied it, as well. The Queso had a really amazing flavor – a little bit smoky and rich, with some spice to it. And while it wasn’t the prettiest dish I’ve ever had placed in front of me, it was great nontheless! One point to make though, don’t expect this to be your typical white cheese dip. It wasn’t very liquidy at all – in fact, we used a fork when placing it on our chips after it had cooled off slightly.

We also ordered the Botana, which is a sampling of favorites that include a Chicken Tostada, Marinated Pork Sope, and a Cheese Empanada. I usually do not eat pork, but that Sope was so delicious! I couldn't get enough.

Our entrees presented themselves shortly after this. We decided to get one full entree and one appetizer, and split them both so that we could try a little more variety. I’m not sure which one would be the winner, since they were both so tasty!

The Pollo al Pastor was a marinated chicken that was served with roasted veggies, beans and a pineapple relish. We ate this like fajitas, since all entrees were served with homemade corn tortillas and rice.

The Taquiza was a taco trio. Sounds straightforward, yes? Well it was much more involved than just mere tacos. It featured a Rib Eye Taco with chipotle salsa, a Roasted Chicken Taco with salsa verde, and a Marinated Pork taco.

After this we were stuffed. I’m not talking about your average Disney vacation post-meal feeling. We had eaten so much we couldn’t even look at the dessert menu, which for me is absolutely unheard of! Please know that you will be seeing dessert photos soon - don't lose hope!

We weren’t even capable of getting snacks at the movie theater, and I had high aspirations of a trip to Goofy’s Candy Co! I regretted the decision not to order dessert later in the week, because I knew I wouldn’t be able to review that course of the meal after the vacation had come to an end. But what I can tell you is that there wasn’t a huge selection…most likely because everyone leaves with overly full bellies!

As was the theme for our week in the World, we loved our dining experience at La Hacienda and will make plans to go there again!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #56
alicehatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
Also, y'all are just too adorable!! You would make a great Alice and Mad Hatter for the parks.
You are so sweet for saying that!! It's my dream
Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #57
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

We went to a Tequila Lunch at La Hacienda during last year's Food & Wine Fest and loved it so much! We went back and ordered off the regular menu and it was equally as good. So glad to hear good reviews!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #58
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicehatter View Post
Hi! Nope, I don't mind you asking me at all! Historically, I've had stomach issues since I was about 15. It has only been in the last few years that I've put my foot down and tried to do something about it, though. I first noticed that eating dairy seemed to help, and gave that up, but then quickly gave up all meat and animal products as well, simply because it made me feel so much better!

That only lasted for a few months though, and then I started feeling sick again. It turned out there was just too much soy in my diet since I wasn't eating anything else for protein sources. I decided to add eggs and some meat back in, and then went to a doctor to get to the root of the issue. They found that it wasn't dairy at all, but gluten that was the culprit!

I really enjoyed being Vegan - it made me feel good about myself, and I noticed what a supportive community there is! But because I couldn't eat tons of soy, I found that this works better for me. Hope that answers your question!
Thanks.

I did a 21 day dietary cleanse in January, and aside from it being completely vegan, I also abstained from gluten, sugar, alcohol, and caffiene. I never considered myself to have stomach issues, but I felt so much better without dairy and sugar. Gluten apparently doesn't bother me at all.

But great reviews as always!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #59
Harlow58
Earning My Ears

With that bit of background information out of the way, I will get on to the good stuff - food!
Harlow58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #60
alicehatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
Thanks.

I did a 21 day dietary cleanse in January, and aside from it being completely vegan, I also abstained from gluten, sugar, alcohol, and caffiene. I never considered myself to have stomach issues, but I felt so much better without dairy and sugar. Gluten apparently doesn't bother me at all.

But great reviews as always!
Wow that must have been a tough cleanse - hard to get used to. I'm guessing you mainly ate vegetables, unless you weren't counting the sugar in fruit!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: