Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #31
st4rrab0vemybed
Mouseketeer

Great reviews so far, and looking forward to the rest! Your dinner at Flying Fish looked absolutely amazing, and something I would def. consider for a future Disney visit. Love the picture of you both- a very handsome couple, indeed!
st4rrab0vemybed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #32
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Yum yum, Karamell Kuche looks fantastic. DH rarely gets excited about anything I show him on the DIS but his eyes lit up at that picture of the caramel covered choc chip cookie.

That potato-wrapped snapper looks divine (and I am NOT a fish fan).

Great picture of the two of you, by the way
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #33
alicehatter
Living in Wonderland, Married to the Mad Hatter, with Everything as it SHOULD be. (aka mandibc11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4rrab0vemybed View Post
Great reviews so far, and looking forward to the rest! Your dinner at Flying Fish looked absolutely amazing, and something I would def. consider for a future Disney visit. Love the picture of you both- a very handsome couple, indeed!
Thanks so much! Flying Fish was well worth it - much better than many of the "signature" restaurants I've been to!

By the way, I love all your photos in your signature. I'm assuming you're a model? They are great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Yum yum, Karamell Kuche looks fantastic. DH rarely gets excited about anything I show him on the DIS but his eyes lit up at that picture of the caramel covered choc chip cookie.

That potato-wrapped snapper looks divine (and I am NOT a fish fan).

Great picture of the two of you, by the way
Thanks! Guys are so funny that way! My husband zeroed in on that cookie as soon as we walked in and didn't even want to look at the other options! Me, I need to romance the selections first!
alicehatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #34
Pinkgirl
DIS Veteran

Brill start to your review. We are staying at Yacht Club with Deluxe Dinning for our wedding stay and will be eating at Flying Fish. Cant wait to read more. Subbing.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #35
alicehatter
Living in Wonderland, Married to the Mad Hatter, with Everything as it SHOULD be. (aka mandibc11)

Boardwalk Bakery Morning Run

When we awoke the next morning, the Hatter and I hurriedly readied ourselves for a day at Animal Kingdom. This is one park where we always have a plan. Our favorite thing to do is arrive early, head straight for the back and grab Safari FastPasses, ride it before a long line has had time to form, and then come back later in the day to use the FastPasses we worked so hard to secure! We're certainly organized in this way!

Before we had gone on our trip, and the days of restaurant planning were upon us, I had agreed (with some small amount of sullenness) that I could forgo a few "actual" breakfasts in order to do more Signature dinners. But I am the type of person that MUST have scheduled meals. And food in between those times as well. In this way, you could liken me to a Hobbit from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings:

"What about breakfast? We've had one, yes, but what about second breakfast? What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?"

The thought of actually skipping a meal and waiting until lunchtime was quite simply unheard of!

It was with this in mind that we made our way towards Boardwalk Bakery and risked the crowds that are drawn like ravenous wolves each morning. Keep in mind that during our last trip, I had called ahead to ensure that they would have Vegan muffins for me, which had turned out to be one big disaster (raw dough...enough said). This time, I continued to have faith in the popular bakery, and thought I would surprise them with my Gluten Free request.

Jeremy - not one for a full breakfast, and certainly not a breakfast filled with sugar - surprised me when I heard him order the Cheese Danish. Sure, the sound of cheese doesn't necessarily SOUND sweet, but we all know different. He found this out for himself soon enough, and threw half the danish into the trash can as we awaited our AK bus. Sad waste!

I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had two types of Gluten Free muffins that morning - Blueberry and Banana Nut. With the memory of raw, gooey Blueberry dough from my last trip, I wisely chose Banana Nut, and we made our way toward Kilamanjaro. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the muffin, but you can rest assured that it was beautiful. Of course, everything behind the bakery's case was gorgeous, and made me feel much like Alice.

Alas, I stuck with the muffin and hoped that more substantial food would come my way in a few hours. It was with high hopes that this muffin would tide me over until lunchtime brought us to the doorstep of Asia's Yak and Yeti restaurant!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #36
PrincessBetsy
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

My roommate and I love to eat and often refer to each other as "Fat Hobbits."

That's too bad that Jeremy didn't enjoy his danish. I'd have to say that most of the bakery items are probably packed full of sugar - something I'm definitely not against, especially on vacation

Looking forward to your review of Yak and Yeti!
PrincessBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #37
alicehatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBetsy View Post
My roommate and I love to eat and often refer to each other as "Fat Hobbits."

That's too bad that Jeremy didn't enjoy his danish. I'd have to say that most of the bakery items are probably packed full of sugar - something I'm definitely not against, especially on vacation

Looking forward to your review of Yak and Yeti!
I always say I have a little fat boy living inside of me. Why a boy? I'm not quite sure, it just seems that it should be! A little fat hobbit boy, most likely!

I'm with you on the sugar - I try to pack as much in my mouth as possible while on vacation...like a squirrel packs in nuts! Makes for a great mental image
Old 03-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #38
alicehatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkgirl View Post
Brill start to your review. We are staying at Yacht Club with Deluxe Dinning for our wedding stay and will be eating at Flying Fish. Cant wait to read more. Subbing.
Oh, are you getting married in Disney? That was my DREAM!! How exciting! I'm hoping to have a 10 year anniversary vow renewal there (if I can convince Jeremy, that is), complete with wedding dress and everything!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #39
AMadHatterMyself
Happily Mad and Married to the Alice of my Life!

The Hatter here with my quick take on the Karamell! It simply made me amazingly dizzy as the door opens and you're struck right in the kisser with the beautiful warm small of absolute goodness. My Alice said it right, we would catch ourselves simply going in one door and out the other as we walked by just for the smell. The taste did its justice and I was so happy that Alice had several gluten free options and that I had all the options in the world! Go! Even if just for the smell....GO!

Yours truly,
A Mad Hatter Myself

Last edited by AMadHatterMyself; 03-10-2012 at 07:00 PM.
AMadHatterMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #40
disneydreaminA115
Long time lurker - coming out to play!

Subscribing! I love this thread!

*The evening star is shining bright, so make a wish and hold on tight, there's magic in the air tonight and anything could happen*

Grand Floridian Dec 2012 - The Sweetest Little Disneymoon Ever! **In Progress**
POP/POFQ Dec 2011 - Eating and Napping Our Way Through The World - A First Timers Black Friday Trip Report!
disneydreaminA115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #41
alicehatter

After a Brief Intermission...

Oh, my ears and whiskers, how late I am! My apologies for the hiatus...we were on Spring Break! The Hatter and I did manage to get to Disney for a day though, and went to 1900 Park Fare for a big breakfast before heading over to Downtown Disney to catch a matinee of The Hunger Games!

Now, back to the reviews!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #42
alicehatter

Lunch at Yak and Yeti

We had both been looking forward to this lunch long before our vacation actually arrived. Jeremy had never experienced Yak and Yeti before, and I had never gone Gluten Free. I was ready to put the chefs to the test!

A bit of Gluten info for you - Soy sauce is laden with it, and getting around this key ingredient can be akin to dining at a French restaurant and asking them to hold the butter. But Disney always rises to a challenge, don't they?

After a morning spent in Animal Kingdom running from one ride to the next – with breaks only for lion-spotting on a Kilimanjaro Safari – we hungrily approached our lunch spot.

Let me take a moment to mention how pretty this restaurant is! The decor is very authentic, as several of the hosts pointed out during our short wait. We were welcomed to have a look around either before or after our lunch, in order to check out the artifacts that had been collected in the making of this dining locale. They claimed that wherever possible, owners had used antique furniture and relics. It really is one of the best themed restaurants in Disney World, but doesn’t get appreciated in the rush to get in and out quickly.

Our waiter was SO friendly, and he informed me that I would be able to order their most popular appetizer - the Lettuc Cups - which could be modified to be gluten-free. Jeremy and I decided to split this. (My apologies for the small photo! I couldn't seem to make this one larger)

These were so delicious they could have been a meal on their own! The sauces were fantastic, and I would never have known it was made with gluten-free soy sauce. They tasted just like PF Changs or Pei Wei, of which the Hatter is a HUGE fan!

Obviously feeling nostalgic after those Lettuce Cups, Jeremy ordered the Crispy Honey Chicken. We typically do not eat at Asian restaurants (much to his dismay), and this was a treat he couldn’t pass up. With the exception of a few grains of rice, he cleaned his plate – stopping just short of making it sparkle.

I chose to go with something a bit different, based on the chef’s recommendation and my own need for something other than the standard. The Malasian Seafood Curry was comprised of Mahi, scallops, clams, mussels, shrimp, zucchini, and tomatoes, all in a coconut red curry broth. While it traditionally came served atop a bed of jasmine rice, I chose to forgo that large amount of carbs and simply opted for the soup. To put it simply, it was amazing. The curry was rich, but not overly “coconuty”. The seafood was fresh, the vegetables cooked just right – had I eaten the rice I would have had to be rolled out, because I ate the huge bowl in its entirety.

After all this, there was no question about dessert. Aside from the fact that both of us were in a happy food coma, we knew that purchases of Mickey bars would be in our not-too-distant future. I could easily have eaten at Yak and Yeti more than once on this particular trip alone – it’s a given that we’ll dine here during our next Asian encounter at Animal Kingdom.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #43
Pinkgirl
DIS Veteran

We had Yak and Yeti in our original plan. Unfortunately it seems to have lost its slot due to early park closing, the call of Flying Fish and the loss of our second visit because of a Disney Photoshoot.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #44
alicehatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkgirl View Post
We had Yak and Yeti in our original plan. Unfortunately it seems to have lost its slot due to early park closing, the call of Flying Fish and the loss of our second visit because of a Disney Photoshoot.
Well I would certainly opt for Flying Fish any day! You'll have to let me know about the photo shoots - we were very interested in doing that during our last trip!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #45
Krissalee
DIS Veteran

Yum! I love your reviews, photos and writing style. Flying Fish is a favorite of mine. I haven't been to Le Cellier in years and years, and I think that lunch on our next trip would be perfect. Thanks for taking the time to share your reviews - looking forward to more!
Past Trips: 10/13 BWV (15th Anniversary) 9/13 BWV (Krissy's first solo trip), 11/12 OKW, 10/11 BWV (13th Anniversary), 2/11 SSR (Mom & Dad's 40th Anniversary) , 10/10 SSR (12th Anniversary), 1/10 BWV, 3/09 BWV, 10/08 SSR (10th Anniversary), 10/07 BCV/SSR (9th Anniversary), 10/06 BWV (8th Anniversary), 10/05 BWV (7th Anniversary & Hurricane Wilma), 10/03 BWV (5th Anniversary), 12/02 AKL/YC (my 30th birthday), 3/02 ASM, 10/01 WL (3rd Anniversary), 1999 CBR (Craig's first trip), childhood trips late 70s/early 80s
Krissalee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: