Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
disfencer
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicehatter View Post

Isn't Canada simply charming?
What a gorgeous picture, I love the composition!

The salmon looks delicious. I'm so glad to see a review of the salmon--the fish options tend to get overlooked at Disney, but they're my favorite.

Also, hello neighbor, from Knoxville! I have a lot of friends in Nashville, and I go over there fairly often. I think I like it more than Knoxville, haha.
disfencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #17
alicehatter
Living in Wonderland, Married to the Mad Hatter, with Everything as it SHOULD be. (aka mandibc11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
What a great way to start your vacation
Looks like you had a lovely lunch at LC
Looking forward to reading along!
Thanks! Yes Le Cellier was certainly a good way to dive into Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareH37 View Post
i'm in - loving your review so far

i'm also staying at the BC next trip but usually stay at the BWI, i'm also gluten free - spooky lol
Ok, yes that's very weird! I know you'll have a good time and get to eat many amazing things you usually aren't able to Would love to hear what you think of Beach Club compared with Boardwalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
Looking forward to following along since we are planning our first trip since I was diagnosed with multiple food allergies, including gluten. I actually read your last report since I'm egg and dairy free.

Not sure if you knew but blue cheese is not gluten free. It depends on your sensitivity to it but they grow the mold on bread and it contaminates the cheese.
Thank you so much for telling me this - the chef mentioned that SOME Blue Cheese has it, but that he wasn't really concerned about it. And I haven't really experienced any symptoms, although I also don't eat that type of cheese very often

When is your first trip??
alicehatter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #18
alicehatter
Living in Wonderland, Married to the Mad Hatter, with Everything as it SHOULD be. (aka mandibc11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfencer View Post
What a gorgeous picture, I love the composition!

The salmon looks delicious. I'm so glad to see a review of the salmon--the fish options tend to get overlooked at Disney, but they're my favorite.

Also, hello neighbor, from Knoxville! I have a lot of friends in Nashville, and I go over there fairly often. I think I like it more than Knoxville, haha.
Hello, yourself! I have a few friends around the Knoxville area as well - it's a great college town, as I know you are well aware

You're right about the seafood dishes at Disney. They are really great, although it seems so many people gravitate towards the meat dishes...including myself at times! This trip I really did eat alot of fish, as you'll soon see!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #19
alicehatter

Tea Time at Karamell Kuche

There is simply nothing like the smell of warm caramel, as I have already mentioned earlier.

The first day of our Disney visit also coincided with our first tumble into the world of Karamell Kuche. Once we got a whiff, we just couldn't wait to return! Throughout the week, I found myself walking the streets of the World Showcase, bypasses many other temptations, in order to make my way to Germany.

What did this storefront contain before it was turned into a sweetshop? My memory blurs a bit, but I think it was a trinket shop that sold tiny porcelain figurines and the like. The food fan within me cried out for joy when I realized a new dining location was replacing that store which involved lots of sugar.

The inside is just as authentically Old-World Germany as its exterior facade. Tiled walls, shelves housing earthen vessels (filled with Pooh's honey?), and row after row of colorful confections.

With so much to choose from, the Hatter and I found it hard to make a selection. I'm afraid we held up the line somewhat, which had begun to snake its way around the counter and halfway out the door. Yielding to pressure, we hastily made up our minds. But that's not to say that it would be my only taste of what they offered!

Isn't Disney wonderful for allowing guests to see the inner-workings of some of their creations? I had to stop and admire the work that went into the making of all these Werther's sweets. Each and every sugary bite is coated in Werther's Caramel, and the German cast members that work at Karamell Kuche seem decidedly happy with their jobs. Who wouldn't love to earn a paycheck from a candy-coated heaven?

I was surprised at the number of items that were Gluten free! Chocolate and Caramel covered Strawberries and Apples were among the most beautiful of those selections, as well as many caramel chocolates and other bon bons. The sight of the caramel being poured over the popcorn really got me though, and my first purchase came in a white bag filled to the brim with sticky, popped corn.

Jeremy was perhaps just as traditional, selecting a Caramel-coated Chocolate Chip Cookie. He loved it so much, that it was hard to wrestle it away in order to snag a photo!

Although we did not purchase any cupcakes, I had to leave you with one last shot of the beauty that is Karamell Kuche - enjoy!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #21
yodadaisystorm
Earning My Ears

I can relate to your eating history - I was vegetarian and then diagnosed with Celiac so I went back to eating meat or there would be nothing left to eat!

Anyway, I'm bummed because I was told by the woman at Karamel Kuche that the Werther's caramel is NOT gluten free. She went and got the ingredient book and looked it up.

I wonder if something changed (that was about six months ago)?
yodadaisystorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #22
alicehatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodadaisystorm View Post
I can relate to your eating history - I was vegetarian and then diagnosed with Celiac so I went back to eating meat or there would be nothing left to eat!

Anyway, I'm bummed because I was told by the woman at Karamel Kuche that the Werther's caramel is NOT gluten free. She went and got the ingredient book and looked it up.

I wonder if something changed (that was about six months ago)?
Oh no!! I had no idea, and always simply assumed that caramel is gluten free...I mean, it's sugar and milk! How depressing...This day was apparently a bust for me, considering I had blue cheese for lunch!

Thanks so much for letting me know - I'll be checking into that!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

two great reviews - love both Le Cellier and Karamel Kuche - could eat their salted caramel now

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
alicehatter

Flying Fish Cafe - A Picture Perfect Dinner

I had originally been hesitant about booking a signature restaurant on the day of our arrival - mainly because we were eating a later lunch at Le Cellier and I was unsure if we would even be hungry. Would it be a waste of two credits? I kept wondering this to myself, especially after eating caramel popcorn!

But making the reservations for 7:40pm allowed us plenty of time to wander around Epcot, ride a few rides, and completely unpack and get all dolled up for dinner at the Boardwalk. Perhaps one of our favorite things about staying at the Epcot area resorts is the ability to dine at so many wonderful places without the need for bus transportation!

We walked the short distance to Flying Fish Cafe, pausing for a moment to watch a boardwalk magician perform tricks for the crowd. After putting our name in, we were soon led toward the back of the restaurant.

Aren't the murals that line the walls of this restaurant delightful? The scenes depict by-gone circus days, while the clean lines of the rest of the restaurant make it elegant and not over-crowded.

Our server for the evening, a wonderfully friendly lady, arrived as if by magic and asked for our cocktail order. Jeremy ordered his customary Gin and Tonic, while I opted for a Cosmopolitan…VERY light on the cranberry.

One thing I noted while waiting on our drinks was that surrounding us were quite a few families with smaller children, despite the fact that the meal came with a signature price tag. Everyone was so well-behaved!

When our beverages were placed in front of us, we ordered appetizers. Of course the waitress was aware that I would be dining gluten free, and had called the chef over to the table in advance. He walked me through my MANY options, and we placed our first order.

Luckily, I was able to have more than one appetizer on the menu, so Jeremy and I put our heads together and chose two for sharing. By this point I was actually getting hungry again!

The Lobster Summer Roll was served in a thin rice wrapper, which was stuffed with vegetables and - of course - lobster. It came with the most delicious Sweet Chili dipping sauce!

The Tuna Tartare was certainly as delicious as it looked. It was tempura-fried in a gluten free batter, and served with Wasabi Foam and a Sweet-and-Spicy sauce. Quite a treat, and good enough as a small entree if someone didn't want a large meal.

But for us, entrees would be soon to come. With small alterations, I was able to order almost anything on the menu, which was a wonderful change!

The Hatter was simply mad about tuna this particular evening, decided to go with the Citrus, Sesame, and Szechuan Pepper-crusted Yellowfin Tuna, which came with bok choy, carrots, snap peas, and mushrooms in a delicious asian broth. He loved every little bit of it!

I ordered the Signature Flying Fish Cafe Potato-wrapped Red Snapper. The chef altered the potato ever-so-slightly. It was absolutely delicious. Underneath was a cheesy Leek Fondue with a Veal Glaze, Red Wine and Cassis Butter Reduction. Heaven! I would say that this restaurant does one of the best jobs accommodating special diets - and that's quite an award to toss out at Disney World!

But the meal was yet to be over, and a final test had to be issued - Desserts. One thing is certain, however. If looks were the judge, Jeremy's certainly took home a prize!

The Carmelized Banana Napolean, came enveloped in phyllo, and was accompanied by banana mousse, creme caramel, and bitter chocolate. He ate it in its entirety, and most likely would have done the same with a serving twice as big - it was just that tasty for him.

Once again, sorbet was offered to me - and once again, it was divine! The Season Sorbet came in a trio of Coconut, Strawberry and Cherry Coulis. It was just enough after all that other food.

Flying Fish proved to be icing on the cake of our first day in Disney. We will not hesitate to dine here again - probably multiple times! We were one very happy couple as we hopped, skipped, and jumped back to our resort.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #25
teacherjmc
Disney-Lovin' Teacher

I am loving your reviews--thanks for sharing!

* Me * Dad * Brother * Sister-in-law * Niece *
teacherjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #26
PrincessBetsy
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

I'm joining in! While reading your reviews, I began considering things with the letter D... Delicious, Divine, Delectable. Can't wait to read more!
PrincessBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #27
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Glad you enjoyed Flying Fish so much
I love the look of both of the tuna dishes and your desserts look yummy
Great picture of you both
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #28
gardengirl628
I'm sorry I bit you....and pulled your hair....and punched you in the face.

Great FF review! It is one of our favorites!

Dana
WDW-offsite 1977, 1984; Dixie Landings November 1998; CSR June 2007; AKL November/December 2009; BWV/Western Magic/BLT February 2011; BCV July 2011; BLT/3 day Dream October 2012; HHI April 2013; BW August 2013
gardengirl628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #29
alicehatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBetsy View Post
I'm joining in! While reading your reviews, I began considering things with the letter D... Delicious, Divine, Delectable. Can't wait to read more!
That is one of my favorite parts of the Alice in Wonderland movie! Johnnie Depp as the mad hatter played that role to a "tea"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Glad you enjoyed Flying Fish so much
I love the look of both of the tuna dishes and your desserts look yummy
Great picture of you both
Thanks so much! Everything was just as good as it looked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl628 View Post
Great FF review! It is one of our favorites!
It's certainly one of ours now, as well!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #30
PrincessBetsy
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicehatter View Post
That is one of my favorite parts of the Alice in Wonderland movie! Johnnie Depp as the mad hatter played that role to a "tea"
Ha, so good! It is one of my favorite parts as well!
PrincessBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: