Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
laur roo
Mouseketeer

We Walked How Many Steps Between the Festival and the Fiesta? New 8/4, Day 2 Complete

HELLO AND WELCOME!
To my first ever trip report!

I'm so glad you've decided to take a peek at my Disney trip!

Let's get the ball rolling! (just like the two people who roll Indiana Jones' boulder back up the ramp )

And now, let me present to you the cast of characters for this trip!

First off, there's me. I will be your narrator for this journey (into imagination? we'll see.) My name is Lauren and I am 27 years old. I hail from Ohio so I was very excited to be headed to Florida in January to escape some of the cold, even though we're having quite a mild winter. As you can see in this picture, our trip was quite...electrifying!

A bit more about me, I like to take silly pictures, try on hats at Disney (I once did a "hats around the world" with my friends on a previous trip), and I like to be at Disney!

My favorite park is Epcot, my favorite classic character is Mickey, favorite princess is Belle, and favorite Pixar character is Sulley.

Joining me on this trip was my mom. We have been to Disney 5 times together with my dad and sister when we were growing up, and I went once with her in 2009 for her birthday for a mother/daughter trip. So this was our second mother/daughter trip to the World. Here she is on the train at Magic Kingdom:

Her favorite park is either the World Showcase part of Epcot or Hollywood Studios, she can't decide. She couldn't pick a favorite character either.

We were at Disney from Saturday, January 21st until Wednesday, February 1st. We did a split stay between Port Orleans Riverside and Beach Club Resort. We were not on a Dining Plan, and we did one TS meal each day. We flew from CAK and took the ME for our transportation to Disney. I guess that's about all the basic facts about our trip. A few more pictures of us on the trip:

We took a ton of photos, so this TR will have lots of pictures, and lots of stories too! Maybe even a few questions will get answered too...like, was switching resorts mid trip easy? Did we get as good a view at the Beach Club as when we stayed at the Yacht Club in 2009? Would my vegetarian mom be satisfied with her food options? Would I get to ride TSM more than 2 times the whole trip? And just how were those tour groups affecting our trip...Stay tuned for the answers and I'm glad you've come onboard! Make sure to say hi! I love reading TRs myself, but I'm usually more of a lurker, so maybe I can bring a few people out of lurkdom with my TR too!

July 1990: Off Site July 1992: Caribbean Beach July 1994: Dixie Landings July 1996: Dixie Landings July/Aug 2000: Treehouse Villas
June 2007: All Star Music Dec 2008: French Quarter Dec 2009: Yacht Club Dec 2010: French Quarter Jan/Feb 2012: Riverside & Beach Club

My PTR: 9 trips out of 10 - A quick 3.5 day PTR - Jan 2012
My Dining Review: One Veggie and One Not Eat the Whole World...Showcase That Is!
My TR: We Walked How Many Steps Between The Festival And The Fiesta? A Jan '12 TR!

Last edited by laur roo; 08-04-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
laur roo
Mouseketeer

Chapter Links

Day One - Travel Day
Part One: Travel Fun Times.

Day Two - Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom
Part One: Festival of the Lion King.
Part Two: Africa and Discovery Trails
Part Three: Out of AK and to Kidani Village
Part Four: Sanaa and back to AK
Part Five: Evening at Animal Kindgom
Part Six: A Night at the Magic Kingdom

July 1990: Off Site July 1992: Caribbean Beach July 1994: Dixie Landings July 1996: Dixie Landings July/Aug 2000: Treehouse Villas
June 2007: All Star Music Dec 2008: French Quarter Dec 2009: Yacht Club Dec 2010: French Quarter Jan/Feb 2012: Riverside & Beach Club

My Dining Review: One Veggie and One Not Eat the Whole World...Showcase That Is!
My TR: We Walked How Many Steps Between The Festival And The Fiesta? A Jan '12 TR!

Last edited by laur roo; 08-04-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: links
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
laur roo
Mouseketeer

Dining Report

Also, I'm going to include a link to my Dining Report which is still in progress. I plan to include some of that information in my TR, but not as much in depth as on my Dining Report. So if you love Disney food, make sure to check this out as well!

One Veggie and One Not Eat The Whole World....Showcase That Is!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
My sister's princess
These boards have grimmer police
I have never been involved in a conspiracy before!

Sounds like a fun trip! I'm in
Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
mrtoffee
Mouseketeer

Im in
Old 03-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

I'm definitely in! Sounds like a fun trip even before it gets started!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 03-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
dara00
DIS Veteran

joining in!

First Disney Trip 4/1992 ~ 7th Grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 4/1994 ~ 9th grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 3/1998 ~ College Spring Break with then bf now dh ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 8/2006 with dh and 17 mos dd ~ DLR / 3/2007 with dh and 23 mos dd ~ AK / 12/2007 with dh, 2.5 yr dd and 6 mos ds ~ MK & Epcot / 5/2009 with dh, 4 yr dd, and 2 yr ds ~ DLR & CA /1/2012 with dh, 6 yr dd, 4 yr ds, and 17 mos ds ~ MK & DHS / 11/2012 for my birthday and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon with dh ~ Marathon & Epcot / 6/2013 with dh, 8 yr old dd, 6 yr old ds, 2.5 yr old ds ~ all!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
burly
DIS Veteran

I will jump in!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
laur roo
Mouseketeer

Okay, my apologies to those that jumped in to start reading my TR...I got busy with work. Like, super busy. Basically in the month of March, my job involves working 6 days a week, sometimes 9-12 hours a day. And 5 of those 6 days include travel, up to an hour or more away. So needless to say, I've been busy with that and very exhausted when I'm not at work! And since my boyfriend lives an hour away from me when he's at school (which is most of the year), when he gets a chance to come home for the weekend, I spend a lot of time with him. So life is busy for me like I'm sure it is for most of you too. But I want to start getting this TR on the road, so the first real update is coming today!!! I hope you all enjoy

Old 03-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
laur roo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by My sister's princess View Post
Sounds like a fun trip! I'm in
It sure was fun! Thanks for joining in! I think I've been reading your TR from time to time too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoffee View Post
Im in
I hope that's a jumbo sized popcorn you've got there, cause this TR will be a long one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
I'm definitely in! Sounds like a fun trip even before it gets started!
Welcome! And thanks, it was a super fun trip, I'm happy to share it all with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dara00 View Post
joining in!
Hello and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
I will jump in!
Yay, glad you're here to read along!

Old 03-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
laur roo
Mouseketeer

Day One, Part One!

Day one, Part One! Saturday, January 21st

Our day started off pretty normally, except for it was snowing! Oh no! Luckily, it wasn't a lot of snow and our flight wasn't until about 6pm. Dad was driving mom and me to the airport in the afternoon so I had the morning to finish the last of my packing and say goodbye to my kitty for the next 10 days. My sister was kind enough to cat-sit for me while I was gone, so I knew she was in good hands! We left for the airport in the afternoon, and this was our view along the drive...snow, snow, and a little more snow.

We got to the airport and checked in and had Subway pizzas for lunch. We went through security (which took all of 3 minutes since we were in a small airport) and played rummy until it was time to board. Before I knew it we were off! Mom took a few pictures out the window while I watched Winnie the Pooh on my ipod on the plane and played a few games and pretty soon we were in Orlando, woo hoo!!!

We didn't take anymore pictures until we checked in because A) we were excited! Must get to Disney! No time for pictures! And B) because it was dark and you couldn't see much out of the Magical Express anyway. But we waited a short time in line for our bus, got on, and loaded up pretty quickly. Riverside was the first stop and I thought this was such a quick trip! I remember it taking longer...maybe I wasn't as excited since it was already dark??? I don't know, but once we got off the bus and got in the check in line, I was practically jumping up and down!

Originally we wanted to stay at POFQ for the first part of the stay, but it was full with the room only discount we had. So we had requested to be close to FQ so maybe we could walk over and check it out. Since they were working on the royal rooms, we were placed in Magnolia Terrace which ended up being the perfect spot! We were in room 8728 which was a refurbished room on the second floor with a pool view. It was right across the bridge from the main area of the resort and a short walk everywhere we wanted to go! Once we had our keys and were walking to the room I was pretty giddy!!! We got a little turned around trying to find the room but when we did we opened it up and of course, started snapping photos! Here you have your very own tour of Magnolia Terrace #8728:

And a couple goofy ones mom suggested, the version from both of our cameras:

And the view out of our window of the quiet pool:

We watched a little Stacy when we first got into the room to get in the Disney mood, and then headed down to Riverside Mill to grab some dinner and our refillable mugs. We both got the blue mug and then mom got a create your own pasta and I got a kids mac and cheese meal. I also got a Mickey rice crispy because I was at Disney and I was excited!!! It was also in the Riverside Mill where we discovered that the tour groups were staying there in mass. We never had too much trouble regarding them in either the resort or the parks so we lucked out I guess!

After dinner we headed back to the room and unpacked and watched a little TV before getting some sleep. The next morning we had a date with some animals and their kingdom!!!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Nice start!

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

Old 04-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
laur roo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
Nice start!
Thanks! Ready for another update? Cause I am...here we go!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
laur roo
Mouseketeer

Day Two, Part One!

Day Two, Part One!
Sunday, January 22nd

I woke up super excited! I mean, who wouldn't be? Waking up at Disney, getting ready for your first day at the parks? Beyond excited!!! Mom wanted to do Animal Kingdom for our first day since I think it's her least favorite park. But judging by the amount of photos she took there (we ended up going two times on the trip), I think she really secretly likes this park. My idea for our first attraction was to go see Festival of the Lion King, so that's where we were planning to head first. We got to Animal Kingdom around 10:30 and mom started taking photos right away!

When we got into the park, I stopped in the restroom and when I got back mom was with one of those survey guys answering questions. He was from Ohio too, so it was kinda funny. I wandered off while she was finishing her questions to a little cart and found a card holder that hooks onto a lanyard (yes, I'm a pin trader!!) and mom bought that and a lanyard for herself to start trading pins. I had bought a lot of 25 on ebay before we left, so I had a lot of new ones loaded onto my lanyard to start trading right away and I gave mom 3 of my pins so she could start trading too. After she bought her lanyard, we were on our way to Camp Minnie-Mickey so we could see Festival of the Lion King! I love this show and I was happy we were going to start our trip off with this. (Hence the title of my TR...we started with a Festival and ended with a Fiesta...hmmm, any ideas what our last ride might have been???) We were early for the show, so we got to pick our spot when we got in. I crossed the room to the elephant section and we sat in the second row on the end so there was no one in front of us. Mom took a lot of photos during the show, so here they are!

We were right by the big door, so we could see the performers when they came in!

Did I mention I love this show? I think I might have teared up a little bit because I was so happy to be there and the performance was so amazing. I know a lot of people enjoy this show and it was just so fun to watch. This guy was even posing for my mom when he noticed she was taking pictures.

And a few thousand more pictures...

And one last pic of Pumbaa as we were exiting the theatre.

To Be Continued...

Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

This is one of the shows I've never seen. There are probably quite a few we've missed, so I'm hoping we can cross a few of them off the list on our Oct. trip...including Festival of the Lion King.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: