Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

I cried when I read this book....I thought that (being a northerner) ..this really cant happen ...and then I asked myself CAN IT???

I dont think I have read a book as good as this one was....I will wait a while and see the movie too..

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #17
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumba View Post
I cried when I read this book....I thought that (being a northerner) ..this really cant happen ...and then I asked myself CAN IT???

I dont think I have read a book as good as this one was....I will wait a while and see the movie too..
I enjoyed the book too. I read another with a similar haunting theme, Rush Home Road. I stayed up late reading and crying. Very good book. I actually liked it better than, The Help. And that's saying a lot.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #18
jujube
DIS Veteran

Prejudice, unfortunately, is alive and well all over the world. Google ethnic cleansing.
jujube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JoGo* View Post
I find it ironic that they didn't want the help to use their indoor bathrooms yet found it perfectly acceptable for the help to make their food.

Loved the book and think they did a great job with the movie. Didn't cut too much out.
And they had no problem letting them hug, kiss, and raise their kids but they had to drink out of separate glasses. The ignorance is amazing.
LisaR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #20
Pooh Girl 71
Good looking, half naked men and choreagraphed violence....what's not to love?
Biting back is the only thing that I have ever seen work
the presidents must all be facing forward

Bigotry, racism and ignorance happen ALL over the US. It is by no means isolated to the south. If you don't believe me, then take a good hard listen next time you listen to someone talk about our president.

Personally, I'd rather people be more open in their ignorance so I would know who to watch out for. Now you don't know.
Pooh Girl 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
Grandmouse
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=7165red;44180536]I, remember the first time I went to the south and saw two drinking water fountains and one marked colored and I was so struck because I was from the north.

A sign similar to this at a water fountain is a distinct memory for me during my family's first trip to the South in the early 60's when I was a young teen. The sign I saw said that "colored must use cups" and then there was a second sign that said, "cups--2 cents." I remember this so distinctly because my mother stood and cried. She couldn't believe that people were treated that way.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimchick1984 View Post
I have read the book and now I am watching the movie. I know it was a different time but I just cannot understand how people could have so much hate for someone that is different from them, because of their skin color. The ignorance and lies just astound me.

I am thankful I live in a time now where there is minimal racism. I am not naive enough to believe that it does not exist but I am glad it does not exist to the extent that it did in the 50's/60's.
I didn't read the book, but saw the movie and I feel as you do and just don't understand how a person can hate someone just because of their skin color. How they can treat them so poorly is impossible to understand. We are all people, we are all the human race, no one is better than anyone else.

It makes me remember when my best friend moved from here to Grand Rapids. They moved into a predominantly black neighborhood and she was nervous at first, simply because there just are no black people here where we live. But she quickly got over that and realized they were just people, like her and her husband, trying to make a living and take care of their families just like anyone else. She has black friends, and white friends, and loves them all the same.

There are good people and bad people in all races, and I don't think a person's skin color has anything to do with that. It's what they are on the inside that counts.

I saw another movie about racism just the other night, "The Long Walk Home" with Sissy Spacek. It was very good too, like "The Help" was. How she went against her husband to stand up for the black people and what was right.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #23
leebee
DIS Veteran

My parents were married in 1955, in the Episcopal church my father had attended all his life. There was a hitch in the wedding plans, though, when the church learned that my dad's best man was black; they refused to conduct the wedding because of this. Needless to say, my parents caved and my dad changed his choice of best man. My parents always contended that it was OK with everyone, they all understood why he picked a different best man, but seriously... I cannot help but wonder how his supposedly "best" friend felt about being cast aside due to skin color instead of standing up for what my parents said were their principles and choosing to be married elsewhere. I know that the friendship didn't last over the years, but my mom said it was because everyone became involved in their married lives and "youth" friendships always fade. Maybe... but ya gotta wonder.

Although I do not admire Al Sharpton for a variety of reasons, I like the ad he does on MSNBC. In it, he basically says, "There was a time when it was acceptable for women to earn less than men, when it was acceptable for blacks to ride in the back of the bus. It was acceptable until WE STOPPED ACCEPTING IT."
Old 03-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #24
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh Girl 71 View Post
Bigotry, racism and ignorance happen ALL over the US. It is by no means isolated to the south. If you don't believe me, then take a good hard listen next time you listen to someone talk about our president.

Personally, I'd rather people be more open in their ignorance so I would know who to watch out for. Now you don't know.
When people mention this I remind them where "All In The Family" was located.

In NY it was WAY more blatant than here in the South, and I agree, I preferred it because I could fight that. Blatant disrespect you can confront, subtle disrespect is harder to deal with.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #25
elizke
Has feelings for her Crockpot!

I grew up in Atlanta and Charlotte in very mixed areas, and then moved to the Chicago suburbs (one black family in our town at the time I think) as a tween, and saw way more prejudice in Illinois, along with the hypocrisy of considering themselves so much better.

But of course the treatment of blacks in that day in many areas of the south was truly heartbreaking. But it was not like that everywhere in the South. My parents were nothing like that and neither were any of my friends. We had one old lady on our street who said mean things, and we all laughed and made fun of her. (This was early 60's)

This book and movie shows the type of person who is so incredibly insecure about who they are and how they appear that they have to degrade anyone and everyone with less social power. And the less powerful they are, the uglier that kind of person feels free to be. Same principle applies in middle school. It's a very sad and ugly social malady.
elizke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #26
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizke View Post
I grew up in Atlanta and Charlotte in very mixed areas, and then moved to the Chicago suburbs (one black family in our town at the time I think) as a tween, and saw way more prejudice in Illinois, along with the hypocrisy of considering themselves so much better.

But of course the treatment of blacks in that day in many areas of the south was truly heartbreaking. But it was not like that everywhere in the South. My parents were nothing like that and neither were any of my friends. We had one old lady on our street who said mean things, and we all laughed and made fun of her. (This was early 60's)

This book and movie shows the type of person who is so incredibly insecure about who they are and how they appear that they have to degrade anyone and everyone with less social power. And the less powerful they are, the uglier that kind of person feels free to be. Same principle applies in middle school. It's a very sad and ugly social malady.
I think that is one of the civil rights messages that some times gets lost. I visited my grandparents in a segregated Tenns during the 60's. my mom was a attorney who worked to register blacks to vote.

There were many, many white folks who quietly tried to make changes for the better and it was extremely dangerous for them.

In Tennsesse one of the issues we had was that we couldn't try on clothes in many stores and since we couldn't return them (stores didn't want any thing a black had next to their skin) can you imagine how hard it was to buy clothes for your kids? the best we could do is guestimate on an item and then have them tailored. My grandma had many white friends who would shop and return for her.

The other problem I remember my mom discuss was in order to vote, blacks were required to take a test. The test had questions like,
1) how many soap bubbles in ivory soap
2) how many bubbles in a bottle of coco cola.

So of course it was impossible to pass the test. I think for me and my siblings as little kids it was more fearful. We lived in NYC where we had all types of friends and then in the summer we suddenly had to remember all these "rules". like stepping off the side walk when a white person came pass you or why we couldn't go to the movies or paying your bus fare in the front then getting off the bus and going to the back door. stuff we normally did wihtout thinking, now took on a whole new meaning.

But.... I have many, many great memories of my summers. so remember there are many more good people out there than bad.

Last edited by eliza61; 03-02-2012 at 04:44 PM.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #27
Teacher Princess
Aprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizke View Post

Very, very well said..
this is a very delicate topic and all that I can said is that I am extremely grateful and bless to be a puertorrican and USA Citizen ( P.R. is a USA Territory and USA Commonwealth since 1917) and that I can call USA my second adoptive home.. We are a military family who have lived all over the USA for the last 15 years and that has given me and my family the opportunity to meet people from all over the world and to be useful to this society in a positive way..
I watched the movie and I loved that Ms. Octavia Spencer won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. ,She did a great job in that movie! . I guess is still good people in the world, And I choose to believe that..but sadly there is still a long way to go in this world.. And I know that our God loves us no matter where we come from or what color we are..It might sound too optimistic,but at least that is the way I am..sorry..after going thru two failed IVF fertility treatment..having DD8 at the age of 33 and going thru a Thyroid Cancer scare a year later I had her I choose not to let anything steal my joy anymore.. Life it's too precious and short.. and this is my friends a truth testimony.. I did not make this up...I choose to embrace life and diversity..

Thank u for reading and God Bless everyone!

ESL Teacher and proud Army Wife..
Teacher Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #28
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

I know this is an old-ish thread, but I came across it and am intruigued.

I LOVE the Help. It is one of my favourite movies. And I really felt attached to some of the characters, especially the two maids and the estranged woman Minny works for.

It shocks me how nasty people were towards black people. I was born in the 1990s so never saw any of this- and of course have never lived in America so wouldn't have anyway. I just don't know what makes black people so inferior to whites in some people's opinions.

Anyways, it was a fantastic movie and although I really hated Hilly (and found the pie incident hilarious) I loved the 1960s outfits, dresses and hair! I think they are a lot nicer than the fashion nowadays.

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #29
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Scary how many people think that the south is so racist and that it is the only place where racism exists (not specifically on this thread, but in general). Fact is, racism is all over this country (and world) and is exhibited by people of all different racial backgrounds. The question is, what can we do to eliminate it? I know I don't have the solution. I'm hoping someone else does.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #30
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Scary how many people think that the south is so racist and that it is the only place where racism exists (not specifically on this thread, but in general). Fact is, racism is all over this country (and world) and is exhibited by people of all different racial backgrounds. The question is, what can we do to eliminate it? I know I don't have the solution. I'm hoping someone else does.
By teaching our children.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: