Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
swimchick1984
Mouseketeer

The Help

I have read the book and now I am watching the movie. I know it was a different time but I just cannot understand how people could have so much hate for someone that is different from them, because of their skin color. The ignorance and lies just astound me.

I am thankful I live in a time now where there is minimal racism. I am not naive enough to believe that it does not exist but I am glad it does not exist to the extent that it did in the 50's/60's.
swimchick1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Amelia Peabody
Used to be MsSocks with lots of posts!

When I read the book, I was sick knowing that it went on in my lifetime. Only a child and my parents kept us insulated from such hatred, but still...
Amelia Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
themilesfamily
Wanna potty with Spongebob Squarepants?

The Help was such a great book -- and movie! And I think it's so good to look back and really think about how certain laws and dynamics hurt people. And think about how we can do better.

As for racism, I think it's still there but it's just gone underground somewhat. Today you see it come out when people think they can say things and not be held accountable -- i.e. on message boards and comment sections (not the DIS). Yahoo! articles where you can leave comments at the end seem particularly bad. You see a lot of overtly racist comments there and it's very discouraging.

I've said it before on the DIS -- the vast majority of people are a mixture of European, African, Asian, etc. You may identify as "white" or "black" or whatever -- but a DNA analysis will give you an exact breakdown of your ethnic origins. And if you're banking on being of just one ethnic origin -- well, I wouldn't take those odds to Vegas.
themilesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

I saw the movie first, then read the book, which was better. I am so glad I wasn't raised that way, nor was my family, at least not from my grandparents forward, not sure about their parents.

I think I sat there with my mouth open the entire time and I had hears about it, ya know being raised in the south and all.

But, I hate to say it, it still goes on and may continue, and now it's not just about race anymore. There is still so much hatred in this world.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
But, I hate to say it, it still goes on and may continue, and now it's not just about race anymore. There is still so much hatred in this world.
Exactly. This type of behavior is not confined to race nor to the 50s and 60s. It's all just a little bit of history repeating.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

I find it ironic that they didn't want the help to use their indoor bathrooms yet found it perfectly acceptable for the help to make their food.

Loved the book and think they did a great job with the movie. Didn't cut too much out.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JoGo* View Post
I find it ironic that they didn't want the help to use their indoor bathrooms yet found it perfectly acceptable for the help to make their food.

Loved the book and think they did a great job with the movie. Didn't cut too much out.
It is, I will never view chocolate pie the same way again!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimchick1984 View Post
I have read the book and now I am watching the movie. I know it was a different time but I just cannot understand how people could have so much hate for someone that is different from them, because of their skin color. The ignorance and lies just astound me.

I am thankful I live in a time now where there is minimal racism. I am not naive enough to believe that it does not exist but I am glad it does not exist to the extent that it did in the 50's/60's.
I totally agree. The movie sadden me that society thought this way of treating people was acceptable but were "proud" that we didn't have slavey anymore. The whole thought process between both of those times is just a sad sad part of our history. I do agree that ignorance is still abounding however, I can ensure that me & my children are raised to not judge, particularly on the color of someone's skin.. something they can't control anyway!

DH ME
DS#1 13 DS#2 10

Lots of Magical Memories between 1999 - 2012
Maybe another visit in 2013 ? I can only hope!
2disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
7165red
DIS Veteran

I, remember the first time I went to the south and saw two drinking water fountains and one marked colored and I was so struck because I was from the north. We went to the movies and I wanted to sit in the balcony and was told no it's only for colored people. I was so taken back. When I saw the help it was hard to believe the way they treated as they would say colored people. Thank God we have come a long way, it was awful.
7165red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimchick1984 View Post

I still have not seen the movie or read the book. Not something I want to be reminded of. I go to the movies for escapism, themes like this I steer clear of.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I loved this movie. I love that *we* are reminding ourselves where we have been and how far we've come and why we need to keep changing things. I cried during this movie because it is heartbreaking to even think about. Talk about the "bully mentality."

I think it is hard for people like me and those younger than me to think of black and white water fountains. Small children would definitely find this unbelievable as they grow up and hear of it. To see this movie or read this book, it shows just how it was (and worse, of course).

Those people were heroes to me--what drive, what determination, what stamina, what common sense and will to survive. Honestly shows that book smarts and life smarts are two different things.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia Peabody View Post
When I read the book, I was sick knowing that it went on in my lifetime. Only a child and my parents kept us insulated from such hatred, but still...
I think this was similar to how I felt about it. I was taken very aback when I put the timeframe of the movie in perspective - this was when my Mom was young. I was so sure (in my mind) that we were further away from such idiotic bigotry but I was wrong.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

What is really sad is that our country hasn't really changed all that much.

It's just not about skin color anymore.

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

2014 Reading Challenge
Currently Reading Book #1 - The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
Fly4free
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JoGo* View Post

I found that to be ironic too.

My dh grew up in the south and he remembers seeing a few bathrooms labeled coloreds and whites. In his youth they just painted over the words, but I guess you could still read through it. It's so hard to imagine the ignorance of those times.
Fly4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
lemondog
My twins fight over who tooted
I always have the itch!

It boggles the mind, doesn't it.

But trust me, it still goes on to that extent in some places in the south. It may not be as much out in the open as it used to be and obviously things like separate entrances, bus seats, etc are a thing of the past, but there are plenty of white people in this part of the country who still feel that much superior to blacks.

On the flip side, there were also plenty of families even back then who loved their help just like family and treated them as such, regardless of color.

DD1 (13), DD2 (10), DD3 (10) DD4 (2)

I've been pickled! Thanks illuminati!
lemondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: