Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Trep72
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.

Talking March 16, 2013 - 5 Night Western Caribbean - Disney Wonder

Greetings!

I just booked a trip for myself, my DD (15 at the time of travel) and her BFF (14 at the time of travel!

It's our very first cruise and we are very excited!

Would love to hear from others taking this cruise, especially any other single parents.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Trep72

Single Parents - Wonder - March 16, 2013

Any other single parents going??

I'll be there with my DD (13) and her bff (13).
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
IrishCowboy
DIS Veteran

I have added your thread to the cruise meet list

Have a great cruise!
Disney Fantasy 7-21-2012
Disney Magic 11-19-2011 - Back to Back
Disney Magic 11-12-2011
Carnival Dream 7-24-2011
Disney Magic 6-13-2009, Disney Magic 11-22-2008,
Disney Magic 3-17-2007, Disney Magic 7-22-2006,
Disney Magic 9-03-2005, Disney Magic 9-18-2004, Disney Magic 5-15-2004, Disney Magic 5-??-2003,
Disney Wonder 12-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-25-2002, Disney Magic 1-19-2002, Disney Magic 5-12-2001
IrishCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Trep72

Thanks IC! I appreciate it!

I'm not trying to be picky, but I noticed on the list it shows that this is a Bahamian cruise when it is Western Caribbean. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCowboy View Post
I have added your thread to the cruise meet list

Have a great cruise!
Old 05-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We will be joining you on this cruise! It will be myself, Susan, my husband, Brian, our daughter, Brianna (age 17), and our son, Brandon (age 14). This will be our 8th DCL cruise, and we're pretty excited! Joining us will be many family and friends. Every other year or so, my extended family and some of our friends try to do a Disney cruise together, and this one fell on our spring break, so we have 18 of us booked so far, but I'm sure more will be joining in as the time draws nearer. We've done longer cruises, but none of our family and friends have been able to join us on those, so they are all pretty excited to get to have 5 nights this time around.

We looked in to a 3 and 4 day, but the cost was just about as much as this 5 night, and we all prefer the older ships over the newer ones, so it was a perfect scenario!

Thanks for getting this thread started! Now, come on Spring Break!

Susan
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder,
03/12 One Week in Maui, 07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay,
03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western,
07/13 Villas at Grand California, 03/14 5 Night DCL Miami,
05/14 Bay Lake Tower, 08/15 1st trip to Aulani

Upcoming Trips: 03/15 Disney Wonder out of Miami, 07/15 Maui
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Trep72

Talking

Finally! Someone else posted for this thread.

How awesome is that you have such a large group going! As I mentioned in my op, it'll be just me, my daughter and her BFF. It's our very first cruise.

The kids don't know it, but I recently upgraded to a verandah stateroom (5C I think), so that should be exciting.

Hopefully we can at least say hi while on-board and any tips and/or suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypoor View Post
We will be joining you on this cruise! It will be myself, Susan, my husband, Brian, our daughter, Brianna (age 17), and our son, Brandon (age 14). This will be our 8th DCL cruise, and we're pretty excited! Joining us will be many family and friends. Every other year or so, my extended family and some of our friends try to do a Disney cruise together, and this one fell on our spring break, so we have 18 of us booked so far, but I'm sure more will be joining in as the time draws nearer. We've done longer cruises, but none of our family and friends have been able to join us on those, so they are all pretty excited to get to have 5 nights this time around.

We looked in to a 3 and 4 day, but the cost was just about as much as this 5 night, and we all prefer the older ships over the newer ones, so it was a perfect scenario!

Susan
Old 05-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Trep72

I just realized that we are neighbors!

We are located in Moore, OK (a suburb of Oklahoma City).

Quote:

Susan
Old 05-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Hello, neighbor! Just be prepared to fall in love with Disney cruises! When we took our first one years ago, we said it would probably be a once in a lifetime kind of trip. Well, if I had my way, it would be a couple of times a year. We fell in love with DCL, and it is our family's favorite vacation destination. We recently went to Maui, and our kids still prefer DCL, so it is truly a great vacation!

Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help out if I can. One of our favorite excursions in Cozumel is the dune buggies. You get to drive a dune buggy around the island and see some breathtaking views. You also get to enjoy an authentic Mexican lunch beachside, so I'd highly recommend that.

I wish my kids were taking their friends, but we already had a WDW trip planned for this summer and they're taking their friends with us, so we just couldn't swing it. Your daughter will love having her friend with her!

Susan

Old 05-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
Trep72

I think I'm more excited about the cruise than the kiddo is. I think she's concerned there's not going to be as much to do compared to WDW, but she's been researching things as well and is slowly coming around. That's one reason I offered to bring her friend, so she would have someone her age, that she knew, to share things with. I just hope that her friend's parents are able to come up with the airfare for the trip, because that's the only thing I am not able to cover....and it's so darn expensive out of OKC.

As for excursions, I'm not sure what we are going to do yet. I've been looking into one of the day time snorkeling packages. I've got a shipboard credit from Disney and from our TA, and will start adding more to it after we get back from WDW trip in October.

Quote:
Hello, neighbor! Just be prepared to fall in love with Disney cruises! When we took our first one years ago, we said it would probably be a once in a lifetime kind of trip. Well, if I had my way, it would be a couple of times a year. We fell in love with DCL, and it is our family's favorite vacation destination. We recently went to Maui, and our kids still prefer DCL, so it is truly a great vacation!

Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help out if I can. One of our favorite excursions in Cozumel is the dune buggies. You get to drive a dune buggy around the island and see some breathtaking views. You also get to enjoy an authentic Mexican lunch beachside, so I'd highly recommend that.

I wish my kids were taking their friends, but we already had a WDW trip planned for this summer and they're taking their friends with us, so we just couldn't swing it. Your daughter will love having her friend with her!

Susan
Old 05-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep72 View Post
I think I'm more excited about the cruise than the kiddo is. I think she's concerned there's not going to be as much to do compared to WDW, but she's been researching things as well and is slowly coming around. That's one reason I offered to bring her friend, so she would have someone her age, that she knew, to share things with. I just hope that her friend's parents are able to come up with the airfare for the trip, because that's the only thing I am not able to cover....and it's so darn expensive out of OKC.

As for excursions, I'm not sure what we are going to do yet. I've been looking into one of the day time snorkeling packages. I've got a shipboard credit from Disney and from our TA, and will start adding more to it after we get back from WDW trip in October.
I think your DD will be pleasantly surprised! Our kids used to think WDW was the place to be, and although they do still love going, they would MUCH rather do the cruise. She will have a blast with her friend!

I hear what you're saying on the air. We bought in to Disney Vacation Club last year while on our Disney Alaska Cruise, and we are taking my extended family as well as some friends for our kids. When you buy, you get the current year's points and the year before, so we had a lot of points. Otherwise, we wouldn't have been able to take so many people. They are all paying for their own air and park tickets though, so that helps out too. We're paying for food, and I'm a little scared about that--especially since we're going the end of July when it will be so hot! We're definitely taking advantage of the refillable mugs for the resort, and I'm hoping we won't spend too much at the parks on drinks and ice cream!

Well, finding your cruise meet thread prompted me to call Disney today. I changed our stateroom to a 5C. I haven't told my husband yet, but for $310 dollars, I figure it will be worth it. We've been lucky enough to get to upgrade at the port several times, but I hate to chance it when it's only $310 dollars and we're guaranteed a verandah.

I'm beginning to think it might just be you, me, and all of my family on this cruise. I think this cruise is a little hidden in some ways because people think of it as a cruise to the Bahamas when it's actually a shortened Western. I have a friend who called me just the other day and she said it was sold out. She said she had even called Disney. I was stressing because we do have others that are planning to go but haven't booked yet. Turns out she wasn't inquiring about the Western but was inquiring about a cruise to the Bahamas at the same time. So, maybe ours won't sell out. Even if it does, we've sailed many times on ships that are full and the nice thing about the older Disney ships is that it isn't ever too overly crowded.

Take care and keep in touch! Looking forward to having someone to plan this trip with!

Susan

Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Trep72

So you're gonna be in a 5C too huh?!? Very cool! I had been reading about possible upgrades at the port, but like you figured it wasn't that much more so why not do it now? Who knows, maybe there will be an even better upgrade better when we get there!

One concern I do have is the transportation to/from the port. Right now, I'm planning on us flying in the night before and because Southwest Airlines doesn't fly into Miami, we'll have to fly into Ft. Lauderdale. Well, according to my TA, Disney doesn't have any set plans yet in regards to DME since sailing out of Miami is new for them. I'm hoping that DME will offer something out of Ft. Lauderdale, but am feeling like I'm going to need to find alternate transportation. I've done some very basic research and found a couple of hotels that will transport us from FLL to the hotel and then to the port the next morning, but nothing from the port to FLL.

I realize that I have plenty of time to plan for this, but I'm the type that likes to have all of my ducks in a row as soon as possible.

Quote:
I think your DD will be pleasantly surprised! Our kids used to think WDW was the place to be, and although they do still love going, they would MUCH rather do the cruise. She will have a blast with her friend!

I hear what you're saying on the air. We bought in to Disney Vacation Club last year while on our Disney Alaska Cruise, and we are taking my extended family as well as some friends for our kids. When you buy, you get the current year's points and the year before, so we had a lot of points. Otherwise, we wouldn't have been able to take so many people. They are all paying for their own air and park tickets though, so that helps out too. We're paying for food, and I'm a little scared about that--especially since we're going the end of July when it will be so hot! We're definitely taking advantage of the refillable mugs for the resort, and I'm hoping we won't spend too much at the parks on drinks and ice cream!

Well, finding your cruise meet thread prompted me to call Disney today. I changed our stateroom to a 5C. I haven't told my husband yet, but for $310 dollars, I figure it will be worth it. We've been lucky enough to get to upgrade at the port several times, but I hate to chance it when it's only $310 dollars and we're guaranteed a verandah.

I'm beginning to think it might just be you, me, and all of my family on this cruise. I think this cruise is a little hidden in some ways because people think of it as a cruise to the Bahamas when it's actually a shortened Western. I have a friend who called me just the other day and she said it was sold out. She said she had even called Disney. I was stressing because we do have others that are planning to go but haven't booked yet. Turns out she wasn't inquiring about the Western but was inquiring about a cruise to the Bahamas at the same time. So, maybe ours won't sell out. Even if it does, we've sailed many times on ships that are full and the nice thing about the older Disney ships is that it isn't ever too overly crowded.

Take care and keep in touch! Looking forward to having someone to plan this trip with!

Susan
Old 05-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep72 View Post
So you're gonna be in a 5C too huh?!? Very cool! I had been reading about possible upgrades at the port, but like you figured it wasn't that much more so why not do it now? Who knows, maybe there will be an even better upgrade better when we get there!

One concern I do have is the transportation to/from the port. Right now, I'm planning on us flying in the night before and because Southwest Airlines doesn't fly into Miami, we'll have to fly into Ft. Lauderdale. Well, according to my TA, Disney doesn't have any set plans yet in regards to DME since sailing out of Miami is new for them. I'm hoping that DME will offer something out of Ft. Lauderdale, but am feeling like I'm going to need to find alternate transportation. I've done some very basic research and found a couple of hotels that will transport us from FLL to the hotel and then to the port the next morning, but nothing from the port to FLL.

I realize that I have plenty of time to plan for this, but I'm the type that likes to have all of my ducks in a row as soon as possible.
When I booked our cruise directly with Disney, I asked them about using their transportation service from Ft. Lauderdale because we'll also fly Southwest out of Kansas City. I went ahead with Disney's transfers because they said that they would be transferring from both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale airports. Hope that's true! If you hear otherwise, please let me know. I know for sure we'll fly Southwest because we have free tickets.

I'm just like you--everything has to be planned perfectly long in advance. Part of the fun for me is the planning. My family was pretty sure I was going to ruin Hawaii because there wouldn't be any surprises when we got there.

Susan

Old 05-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
Trep72

Sounds like you have more up to date info than I do.

The last info my TA told me was that they were going to take a list of people arriving/departing out of Ft. Lauderdale and go from there. Your info sounds as if they've decided to work both airports. Which is good news. I think arriving the day before is probably best for us, but having DME taking us from the port to FLL will be very helpful.

I wish we had some free tickets on SWA. I'm saving for airfare for our WDW trip in October AND for the cruise in March. Just for the kid and I, the October trip from OKC to MCO is a little over $900 in airfare. OKC gets no love when it comes to cheap airfare. Other airlines are the same price PLUS baggage fees, so SWA is the obvious choice for us.

Quote:
When I booked our cruise directly with Disney, I asked them about using their transportation service from Ft. Lauderdale because we'll also fly Southwest out of Kansas City. I went ahead with Disney's transfers because they said that they would be transferring from both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale airports. Hope that's true! If you hear otherwise, please let me know. I know for sure we'll fly Southwest because we have free tickets.

I'm just like you--everything has to be planned perfectly long in advance. Part of the fun for me is the planning. My family was pretty sure I was going to ruin Hawaii because there wouldn't be any surprises when we got there.

Susan
Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
disneypoor

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

This will be the first time we've not arrived the day before our cruise. We don't have airfare bought yet, so we may end up arriving the day before as well. We were trying to keep the cost down a bit for this trip since we have so many people going. It does make me nervous to arrive on the day of though......

We do have over $1000 in free air from Southwest because of our Southwest card, so I'm pretty excited to get to fly for free (hopefully!). Airfare is just way too high right now--can't believe how high it has risen to!

We still have three people who haven't bought their air for our July WDW trip, and it scares me because I fear it will only go up, and it's already ridiculous!

Take care and have a good week!

Susan

Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
Trep72

I'm not sure how much longer I can wait to buy airfare for October. It has stayed pretty steady for the past month and a half, but I fear it's going to go higher. I probably should just go ahead and get it done and if it does go lower, I can just use any credits for the cruise trip. I just hate buying something and then finding out the cost went down after my purchase.

Quote:
This will be the first time we've not arrived the day before our cruise. We don't have airfare bought yet, so we may end up arriving the day before as well. We were trying to keep the cost down a bit for this trip since we have so many people going. It does make me nervous to arrive on the day of though......

We do have over $1000 in free air from Southwest because of our Southwest card, so I'm pretty excited to get to fly for free (hopefully!). Airfare is just way too high right now--can't believe how high it has risen to!

We still have three people who haven't bought their air for our July WDW trip, and it scares me because I fear it will only go up, and it's already ridiculous!

Take care and have a good week!

Susan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: