Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
dwheaton
Mouseketeer

Crowds on First Weekend in May?

I'm still trying to figure out the best time to go on my solo trip. I'd considered August, which would be great with Cars Land, but my schedule at home might be better for May. In terms of crowds, how would it be on that first weekend. There are AP blackouts on both days, so I expect it might not be too bad. I know that the Matterhorn will be down, but that's about it I think. What do you think? Would the crowds be okay for a solo traveler?
dwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

AP block outs will not be an issue in May. The big time when it is an issue is right before and after a long blockout such as summer (June or August) or during holiday times especially Thanksgiving.

So bottom line is early May will likely have very light crowds.
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheaton View Post
I'd considered August, which would be great with Cars Land, but my schedule at home might be better for May.

There are AP blackouts on both days, so I expect it might not be too bad.
All weekends are busy don't expect it to be slow unless you can visit on weekdays too.

Going solo, I'd really wait until Carsland is open. In addition to Matterhorn, Goofy's Sky School will be closed and in general much more construction. Going Solo with FastPass and using the bunch of Single Rider lines you can get a lot done despite the crowds.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
dwheaton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
All weekends are busy don't expect it to be slow unless you can visit on weekdays too.

Going solo, I'd really wait until Carsland is open. In addition to Matterhorn, Goofy's Sky School will be closed and in general much more construction. Going Solo with FastPass and using the bunch of Single Rider lines you can get a lot done despite the crowds.
I see your point about Cars Land and know it will be great. However, I've never been to Disneyland as an adult (only once as a kid in 1985), so I'll be new to Indiana Jones, this Space Mountain, Mr. Lincoln, and some of the dark rides. Since May works out better, it seems like it would still be a great trip, even without the Cars attraction.

I'd love to just go during the week, but it will likely be a Saturday to Monday thing, with some time at the parks each day. So while I know crowds will be higher on the weekend, I think I could do a lot with a good plan. It's not set in stone yet, though.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheaton View Post
I see your point about Cars Land and know it will be great. However, I've never been to Disneyland as an adult (only once as a kid in 1985),

I'd love to just go during the week, but it will likely be a Saturday to Monday thing, with some time at the parks each day.
Surely with no having been since then, and a new to you park next door May would be fine. Going Sat to Mon is great. You can get in the shows and lots of rides and have a slow Monday to get a second chance on some rides and relax.

Though seriously you may be dissapointed with what you see over the construction walls, but can't go on.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
dwheaton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Surely with no having been since then, and a new to you park next door May would be fine. Going Sat to Mon is great. You can get in the shows and lots of rides and have a slow Monday to get a second chance on some rides and relax.

Though seriously you may be dissapointed with what you see over the construction walls, but can't go on.
I'm sure I'll be disappointed by seeing the Cars Land over the walls. Giving the time I have, however, I think it will be great. I really want to check out some of the less crowded stuff like Mr. Lincoln and the Tiki Room plus some of the shows I haven't seen like Aladdin and World of Color, so there will be plenty to do. I just set up my flights and will be going through the boards for hotel and dining recommendations now. Thanks for the help!

Tags
crowds, disneyland, solo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: