Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #241
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Well, there it is. Down 2.5 pounds. Got in 3 runs - Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Pushed a planned Saturday run to Sunday because with all of the errands we had going on I ran out of time. Sunday I took the kids and dogs to a 23 acre offf-lease dog park here in town. It's a really nice place - walking trails, woods, a pond, a river. The dogs got absolutely filthy wallowing in the mud and Evan slipped on a rock and ended up sitting in a stream. (That boy and gravity are not the best of friends). That ended up being just over a mile hike, which was nice because by the time the kids were put to bed and I was ready to run I had one of those headaches that just wouldn't go away. I did an easy mile, hoping the "runner's high" would help, but it didn't. But overall, it was a very productive first week.

I'm hoping to get in runs this week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. But you never know - we're getting toward that point where we'll have to rush off to the hospital at any minute. And not because I collapsed on the treadmill
Nice job there partner... umm I mean terrible job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post

I have to say that I'm amazed by you and Tim. Not because you're running this race and training but that you are actually posting pictures PICTURES of your weight on the scale! If ever I questioned either of your masculinity (I'm sure I have Tim's at least), you both have redeemed yourself because there is no way a woman would 1. take a picture of her weight on the scale and 2. post it on the internet! You guys are an inspiration to us all! Good work!
I think you've questioned a lot of things when it has come to me....

We should have every person post their weight on this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Tim?
Why hello there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFamilyMom View Post
Happy Be-lated birthday to Princess Juliana. 3 Parties, wow, that would keep you pretty busy.
Yes they did. It was a party weekend!

Quote:
And Tim, maybe your weight gain is because you gained some muscle, lets go with that since muscle weighs more than fat.
I doubt it... I have been weighing about 215 for a while. I have no idea how that scale said 211 the first week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Sorry I've been missing guys....this whole engagement thing has put me off schedule on everything.
No problem there Kathy!

Quote:
Great job on the weight loss, Barry. I am so proud for TEAM BARRY.

Quote:
Tim, you can blame it on the preparations for Ana's 6th birthday and all the goodies I am sure you ate. You'll do better this week...I'm sure of it (and if you don't, I'll just have to switch who I am supporting )
Well... I did terrible last week. But I already have run 1 in for this week!
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #242
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Bummer that you went up, but with 3 cakes it's hard to avoid. Nice job getting back on the horse, though.

(Note: I took the high road this time. If you go up another 4 pounds next time, you will be subject to ridicule and public mocking. )

Quote:
It's a marathon, not a sprint. Actually, it's half marathon, but you get the idea.
Oh, I thought we were running the 13 miles...

Quote:
I only walked for about 2 blocks a little over half way though my run and finished the 5k course in 39:09. Did my little motto/mind trick help? It sure didn't hurt. Maybe a training motto isn't such a bad idea after all...
Look at you! Nicely done!

So do I need to come up with a motto too? I was informally using 'Beat Barry' as my motto.

Do you have any plans for this trip yet? (dates, resort, etc?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mrb View Post
looks like Tim needs to come up with something now too
LOL ya think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Maybe Tim could incorporate the "whip" photo into his Slogan somehow. I'd be happy to provide photo if he can't locate it.
Ummm... I have no idea what you are talking about....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
Im pretty sure everyone in the DDC can come up with a copy of that one if its needed.
I guess I've posted that 1 to many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Hmm, it seems like you did SOME running (around). That should count! And Happy B-day to Juliana! Is this the first year she hasn't celebrated it at Disney?
Well.... she didn't celebrate her 1st or 2nd birthday there...

Quote:
It's just water weight. Are you close to your menstrual cylce? Oh wait, that's the excuse us women use! Kidding aside, technically you're only supposed to weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day. But what do I know, I threw my scale out...
Aren't you the jokester.

Quote:
So did you run then? Or were you sitting around watching The Bachelor recaps on ABC?
No Bachelor for me... I'm out with the guys on Monday nights.

Quote:
Tim, this is yet more proof of why you need to be CAREFUL what you post on the internet. Didn't Kathy make this her screensaver? See, internet safety is a must! It's the photo that will never die!
I think she printed it out and made it into a 11x14. I wonder what her sons think of me?

Quote:
I'm all signed up for the 5k on May 5th and I'm really looking forward to it.
But a coworker just told me about the Crazylegs run in Madison the week before, on April 28th. It's an 8k run that starts at the State Capitol, runs through downtown Madison and along the lake, finishing at the 50 yard line of Camp Randall Stadium - home of the University of Wisconsin Badgers Football team. Assuming I can be physically ready to run an 8k race 42 days from now (I think I can) and we can work out the logistics of getting us (and the new baby) over to Madison without too much trouble - what is a good turn around time between races? Would I be stretching myself too thin with back to back weekend races?
I think you can do it... I would just take it easy in-between races.

But what do I know, I might be trying to kill ya!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #243
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mrb View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woth2982 View Post
If it is your first race race then you will probably be hurting for a few days. Are you training outside at all? There is a HUGE difference between running on a treadmill and running out side. I'm not exactly sure how far 8K is (hate that the US is in miles and running is in Kilometers), but it is probably around 4-5 miles so it is not too bad. It really all depends on how you are training. I know when I was training for Falmouth I ran out doors 5 miles a day, and on race day I had to do 7 and I HURT for a week with those extra two miles due to the difference in terrain.
It's not technically my first race - I did a 5k back in September. An 8k is like 4.97 miles, so yeah, it's 5 miles. I'm still on the fence about it because there is a section that goes up one of the longest, steepest hills in the city. :faint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFamilyMom View Post
The motto story:
Very inspiring Barry. I loved reading it and how the whole thing came together.

As far as back to back races, I agree it depends on how you are training, and also on the distances you are training. Because if you plan to run 5k that day anyways as part of your training then why not do it in a race, though agree with races you have to also factor in various terrains, possibly more hills than you are training on, etc. When I was running 5k regularly I was training on flat surface and did a race that was 80 percent hills, it was murder. I def. would not have been able to do another race the next weekend.
Thanks! I've been mostly running on flat surfaces - the treadmill or a route in my 'hood that's pretty flat. I did some hills on my Sunday morning run and I'll be adding a few more as the weeks progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
The others are right. Terrain is so important. I cannot run on a treadmill. I just can't. I tried and I get bored and then distracted and I am afraid I am going to fall off.
That's why I set up the laptop and watch movies when I run on it. When you're out running you have to get yourself back home. When you're on the treadmill it's too easy to realize that the couch is 8 feet away.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #244
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
I guess I have some catching up to do on my own thread!
I was wondering if you gave up already.

Quote:
that's nice!

I guess I should try to run a 5K... I bet I could do it in 42 minutes.
Thanks! I ran another route on Sunday morning, checked the running app on my phone and it said I did it in 32 minutes. I was feeling very good about myself, until I looked at the map that it used - the GPS in my phone must have gone crazy because it showed me doubling back a few times and cutting through the middle of blocks. I mapped out where I ran found that I barely did 4 kilometers.

Quote:
We're not brave... we are just dumb.

Quote:
Believe me... I'll be already done running when Barry nears the finish line. He won't be pulling me down.
It's true. He'll be at mile 9, doubled over and gasping for air.

Quote:
Nice job there partner... umm I mean terrible job.
Thanks...I think.

Quote:
Oh, I thought we were running the 13 miles...
It's 13.1. How many times do I have to remind you?

Quote:
Look at you! Nicely done!
Thanks!
Quote:
So do I need to come up with a motto too? I was informally using 'Beat Barry' as my motto.
Whatever works for you. You gonna put that on a t-shirt?
Quote:
Do you have any plans for this trip yet? (dates, resort, etc?)
The plan (as of now, they've been known to change) it to fly down on the 11th, stay at Old Key West, and fly back home on the 14th. You?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #245
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Monday Morning Update

Time for another round of Monday Morning Scale Pictures!

Drum roll please...

Sigh. Always the comedian, aren't you? I need to have a serious re-evaluation of my A/V department.

Just put up the picture already.

218. Just like last week. But that's OK. This challenge isn't all about weight loss - that's just a secondary goal. If I can get my heart, lungs and legs in shape to run a half marathon at 218 lbs, that's fine with me. But I'm pretty sure that as I train that number will start creeping downward.

Speaking of training, I got 3 runs in last week - Monday, Wednesday and Sunday. Wednesday was the day I ran 5k, but I paid for it Thursday and Friday, mostly in my thighs. Saturday I was feeling better, and Sunday morning I went for another run outside on a beautiful morning.

The plan for this week are runs on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. My neighborhood is fairly flat, but Racine does have a nice jogging/biking trail along the lake that has some good size hills as it follows the contours of the bluffs. If I'm serious about that 8k run in Madison, I've got to start working in some of those hills.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #246
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
I'm all signed up for the 5k on May 5th and I'm really looking forward to it.
But a coworker just told me about the Crazylegs run in Madison the week before, on April 28th. It's an 8k run that starts at the State Capitol, runs through downtown Madison and along the lake, finishing at the 50 yard line of Camp Randall Stadium - home of the University of Wisconsin Badgers Football team. Assuming I can be physically ready to run an 8k race 42 days from now (I think I can) and we can work out the logistics of getting us (and the new baby) over to Madison without too much trouble - what is a good turn around time between races? Would I be stretching myself too thin with back to back weekend races?
Looks like a piece of cake. In fact, you might want to run a 5K on wednesday night between those 2 races, just to keep loose. Don't worry about the fact that you're only getting 2 hours of sleep each night. You're a machine, you can't let a little thing like that hold you back!

Quote:
Believe me... I'll be already done running when Barry nears the finish line. He won't be pulling me down.
I'm sure you will. I guess I should make it official here that I'm on Team Tim after Barry's comments last week.

Quote:
Time for another round of Monday Morning Scale Pictures!

Drum roll please...

Sigh. Always the comedian, aren't you? I need to have a serious re-evaluation of my A/V department.
Really??? Now we're using visual puns???
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #247
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
I was wondering if you gave up already.
I seriously thought about it... but then I wouldn't get another trip to Disney.

Quote:
Thanks! I ran another route on Sunday morning, checked the running app on my phone and it said I did it in 32 minutes. I was feeling very good about myself, until I looked at the map that it used - the GPS in my phone must have gone crazy because it showed me doubling back a few times and cutting through the middle of blocks. I mapped out where I ran found that I barely did 4 kilometers.
LOL... gotta love technology!

I've been running in our neighborhood where it is hilly.. It is about a 2 1/4 loop. I measured it with the car.

Quote:
It's true. He'll be at mile 9, doubled over and gasping for air.
You are probably right.

Quote:
It's 13.1. How many times do I have to remind you?
I hear it's that last .1 that kills you. I'm trying not to think about it.

Quote:
Whatever works for you. You gonna put that on a t-shirt?
We making t-shirts now? We need to design one together.

Quote:
The plan (as of now, they've been known to change) it to fly down on the 11th, stay at Old Key West, and fly back home on the 14th. You?
I was thinking leaving on the 11th but Melody mentioned the 10th... who am I to argue that? Coming home on the 14th. We should plan a dinner together one of those nights.

I was thinking of staying at a 'nice' resort but Mel brought up a good point. Since we are taking Juliana out of school for a week in November, we cannot take her out again. I think Mel & I are traveling alone and I doubt we will be spending much time at the resort. So we are thinking at staying at a value.

I really need to focus some attention on getting our orlando vacation home.... or a timeshare... or DVC...
Old 03-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #248
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Looks like a piece of cake. In fact, you might want to run a 5K on wednesday night between those 2 races, just to keep loose. Don't worry about the fact that you're only getting 2 hours of sleep each night. You're a machine, you can't let a little thing like that hold you back!
I could use a coach, and I like your ideas!

Quote:
I'm sure you will. I guess I should make it official here that I'm on Team Tim after Barry's comments last week.
Still upset about the Purdon't comments?

Quote:
Really??? Now we're using visual puns???
I put that one is just for you, Andy!

Quote:
I seriously thought about it... but then I wouldn't get another trip to Disney.
Motivation comes in all forms!

Quote:
I've been running in our neighborhood where it is hilly.. It is about a 2 1/4 loop. I measured it with the car.
You didn't count the driving the car as one of your laps, did you?

Quote:
We making t-shirts now? We need to design one together.
Good idea. I'll see what I can come up with. Any suggestions?

Quote:
I was thinking leaving on the 11th but Melody mentioned the 10th... who am I to argue that? Coming home on the 14th. We should plan a dinner together one of those nights.
Excellent idea. Anywhere but Aloha Isle.

Quote:
I was thinking of staying at a 'nice' resort but Mel brought up a good point. Since we are taking Juliana out of school for a week in November, we cannot take her out again. I think Mel & I are traveling alone and I doubt we will be spending much time at the resort. So we are thinking at staying at a value.
I would think that if there were no kids along, one might spend a little more time at the resort. (The DIS needs a wink, wink, nudge, nudge smiley)
Old 03-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #249
that's nice
DDC #330

Just another Manic Monday....

My training last week was dreadful. I only ran on Monday. My new plan is to NOT put off days after I run. I mean it's not like I am running 10 miles a day. I am just going to run when I have a day available. It's only Monday of week 3 and I have already run yesterday and today. Although, after running yesterday, we went down to New Haven to eat the best pizza in the world... Pepe's Pizza

http://www.pepespizzeria.com/

Then we went next door and bought some canolli's for dessert. But hey, I have to live right.

Here is my weight check in from today @ 8:40am.

Just like when Barry's knee goes out, my weight is up and down.

Plans for the week.... I hope to get in 2 more runs. Maybe even tomorrow. But I should get one in on Thursday and hopefully Saturday.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #250
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
You didn't count the driving the car as one of your laps, did you?
No. I didn't take a page out of your book.

Quote:
Good idea. I'll see what I can come up with. Any suggestions?
I guess we have time to brainstorm... Maybe some of our readers could come up with a few ideas...

Quote:
Excellent idea. Anywhere but Aloha Isle.
I'm sure I'm gonna be hungry after running.... 'Ohana anyone?

What is the DDC meet agenda? Does anyone know what the heck is going on over the weekend?

Quote:
I would think that if there were no kids along, one might spend a little more time at the resort. (The DIS needs a wink, wink, nudge, nudge smiley)
I was thinking about spending more time in the World Showcase....
Old 03-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #251
DisneyDadC
Dis Dad Member #187
time to order me up a bag of dole whip mix

I havent checked in here for a bit.Hope training for both of you is going well and just remember this..

Dis Dad's Club Member #187 Dis Dad's Facebook Club Member
Tickets $,Travel $, Rooms Costs $,Putting a smile on a childs face=Priceless Keep up the Magic

DisneyDadC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #252
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Quote:
I guess we have time to brainstorm... Maybe some of our readers could come up with a few ideas...
Have many suggestions but would not want to get anyone thrown out before the race.

Quote:
What is the DDC meet agenda? Does anyone know what the heck is going on over the weekend?
Don't know. Probably a couple of official meets and more ad hoc stuff. I am sure drinking beverages will be part of it.
cj9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #253
that's nice
DDC #330

Tuesday the third day of the week. I didn't run today but Melody and I took Christopher on a 2 mile walk this afternoon. It felt like Florida weather here... 77 today! My legs were surprisingly sore on the walk... I know I'm not going to be able to run tomorrow but I'm thinking I can run on Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDadC View Post
I havent checked in here for a bit.Hope training for both of you is going well and just remember this..

LOL... great pic Carl. Is that you in the picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
Have many suggestions but would not want to get anyone thrown out before the race.
Make sure you give all those suggestions to Barry.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #254
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Quote:

I was thinking about spending more time in the World Showcase....
Yeah... what's up with the agenda?? And now with Aaron off to the World we have lost our leader. Whatever shall we do??

Would LOVE to spend more time in World Showcase. I heart EPCOT.
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
Emma's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #255
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDadC View Post

Thanks Carl! Have you given any more thought to the 1/2 marathon? There's still plenty of time to train!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
We've got Fed on our side. We can get away with a lot more than you think.

Quote:
Tuesday the third day of the week. I didn't run today but Melody and I took Christopher on a 2 mile walk this afternoon.
Wow! For being so young, he sure does have a lot of stamina! 2 miles!

Quote:
I know I'm not going to be able to run tomorrow but I'm thinking I can run on Thursday.

I got a run in tonight. 3.5 miles in 47 minutes. And surprising - it's getting easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
Would LOVE to spend more time in World Showcase. I heart EPCOT.
You sound...thirsty.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: