Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #211
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post
Barry, if you are going to die doing this, at least have the decency to do it on race day when there is an audience and press present.

You never know, your family may get a free Disney vacation in the future out if it.

Is it cold in here , or is it just Brian?

Cinderella's Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #212
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Sure enough, it is. And I suppose you're looking for something specific, huh?

Well, there it is. Down 2.5 pounds. Got in 3 runs - Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Pushed a planned Saturday run to Sunday because with all of the errands we had going on I ran out of time. Sunday I took the kids and dogs to a 23 acre offf-lease dog park here in town. It's a really nice place - walking trails, woods, a pond, a river. The dogs got absolutely filthy wallowing in the mud and Evan slipped on a rock and ended up sitting in a stream. (That boy and gravity are not the best of friends). That ended up being just over a mile hike, which was nice because by the time the kids were put to bed and I was ready to run I had one of those headaches that just wouldn't go away. I did an easy mile, hoping the "runner's high" would help, but it didn't. But overall, it was a very productive first week.

I'm hoping to get in runs this week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. But you never know - we're getting toward that point where we'll have to rush off to the hospital at any minute. And not because I collapsed on the treadmill
Great job Barry! Keep it up.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #213
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Is it cold in here , or is it just Brian?
Hahaha....

I am just looking out for the family.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #214
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Yay Barry for losing two and a half pounds!

I have to say that I'm amazed by you and Tim. Not because you're running this race and training but that you are actually posting pictures PICTURES of your weight on the scale! If ever I questioned either of your masculinity (I'm sure I have Tim's at least), you both have redeemed yourself because there is no way a woman would 1. take a picture of her weight on the scale and 2. post it on the internet! You guys are an inspiration to us all! Good work!

Oh, before I forget, I wanted to mention this website that really helped my husband and I lose weight, eat better and feel better. It's called the Primal Blueprint and it might sound a tad radical, but it truly works (if you have the will power of course ). You eliminate carbs, eat tons of protein, veggies and some fruit and here's the good part that I think is what drew my husband in the first place...you can eat bacon regularly! Fat isn't considered bad, isn't that everyone's dream? But obviously not all fat is created equal and you have to watch your sugar intake when you do so. Check out the website, it's pretty amazing reading the success stories. The guy who runs it is into evolution (I am not but I can still glean stuff from him) and basically advocates eating like a caveman. Yes, I know it sounds strange but we've had great success and if I could be more strict with it, I'd lose even more weight. My DH looks better than he did in college (and he was hot then!).

http://primalblueprint.com/pages/What-We-Do.html

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz1op2PnwHL
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #215
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon

Tim?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #216
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post

I haven't given it much thought. I'm just worrying about getting through miles 1-3 right now.

Wait, don't Thelma and Louise die at the end?
No. That's just the cliffhanger while they're working on the sequel.
DIS Dad #400

Goofy + 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #217
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon

Quote:
Tim?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #218
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #219
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon

Quote:

Old 03-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #220
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Week 2 ____gress

I'll be back later to respond to everyone but I wanted to update you on my progress (or regress, depending how you look at it)

I was able to run 2 days last week. I wanted to run one day over the weekend but it was Juliana's birthday on Sunday and she had 3 parties. So I was running around getting supplies for the parties, cleaning, cooking, etc....

When I stepped on the scale on Monday I weighed 215lbs. I didn't take a picture of it but you'll have to believe me- I mean why would I lie about my weight going UP- 4 lbs more than I weighed the week before. I think the 211lbs was off originally but hey, I took a picture of it.

I had a great run on Monday. I added more running on my route and I did well with it. Melody is getting home late this afternoon and I hope to go for a run this evening.
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #221
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

Happy Be-lated birthday to Princess Juliana. 3 Parties, wow, that would keep you pretty busy.

Way to go Barry on the weight loss.

And Tim, maybe your weight gain is because you gained some muscle, lets go with that since muscle weighs more than fat.

Keep it up guys
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

JPFamilyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #222
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Sorry I've been missing guys....this whole engagement thing has put me off schedule on everything.

Great job on the weight loss, Barry. I am so proud for TEAM BARRY.

Tim, you can blame it on the preparations for Ana's 6th birthday and all the goodies I am sure you ate. You'll do better this week...I'm sure of it (and if you don't, I'll just have to switch who I am supporting )

RIP Genie
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #223
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
I'll be back later to respond to everyone but I wanted to update you on my progress (or regress, depending how you look at it)

I was able to run 2 days last week. I wanted to run one day over the weekend but it was Juliana's birthday on Sunday and she had 3 parties. So I was running around getting supplies for the parties, cleaning, cooking, etc....

When I stepped on the scale on Monday I weighed 215lbs. I didn't take a picture of it but you'll have to believe me- I mean why would I lie about my weight going UP- 4 lbs more than I weighed the week before. I think the 211lbs was off originally but hey, I took a picture of it.

I had a great run on Monday. I added more running on my route and I did well with it. Melody is getting home late this afternoon and I hope to go for a run this evening.
And Team Barry takes the early lead.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #224
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Barry, if you are going to die doing this, at least have the decency to do it on race day when there is an audience and press present.

You never know, your family may get a free Disney vacation in the future out if it.

You always have my best interests in mind. Thanks Brian!

Quote:
Great job Barry! Keep it up.
Thanks Randall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Yay Barry for losing two and a half pounds!

I have to say that I'm amazed by you and Tim. Not because you're running this race and training but that you are actually posting pictures PICTURES of your weight on the scale! If ever I questioned either of your masculinity (I'm sure I have Tim's at least), you both have redeemed yourself because there is no way a woman would 1. take a picture of her weight on the scale and 2. post it on the internet! You guys are an inspiration to us all! Good work!
Thank you. It's all about accountability. Public shaming can be a good motivator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Oh, before I forget, I wanted to mention this website that really helped my husband and I lose weight, eat better and feel better. It's called the Primal Blueprint and it might sound a tad radical, but it truly works (if you have the will power of course ). You eliminate carbs, eat tons of protein, veggies and some fruit and here's the good part that I think is what drew my husband in the first place...you can eat bacon regularly! Fat isn't considered bad, isn't that everyone's dream? But obviously not all fat is created equal and you have to watch your sugar intake when you do so. Check out the website, it's pretty amazing reading the success stories. The guy who runs it is into evolution (I am not but I can still glean stuff from him) and basically advocates eating like a caveman. Yes, I know it sounds strange but we've had great success and if I could be more strict with it, I'd lose even more weight. My DH looks better than he did in college (and he was hot then!).

http://primalblueprint.com/pages/What-We-Do.html

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz1op2PnwHL
Sounds interesting - I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy + 3 View Post
No. That's just the cliffhanger while they're working on the sequel.
Ummm...cliffhanger means they would be hanging on the cliff. They too more of a cliffplunger.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome. Our training blog has been moved to MySpace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post

Bummer that you went up, but with 3 cakes it's hard to avoid. Nice job getting back on the horse, though.

(Note: I took the high road this time. If you go up another 4 pounds next time, you will be subject to ridicule and public mocking. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFamilyMom View Post
Way to go Barry on the weight loss.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Sorry I've been missing guys....this whole engagement thing has put me off schedule on everything.

Great job on the weight loss, Barry. I am so proud for TEAM BARRY.

Tim, you can blame it on the preparations for Ana's 6th birthday and all the goodies I am sure you ate. You'll do better this week...I'm sure of it (and if you don't, I'll just have to switch who I am supporting )
Thanks Kathy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
And Team Barry takes the early lead.
It's a marathon, not a sprint. Actually, it's half marathon, but you get the idea.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #225
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

The Legs Feed the Wolf

I've been reading a lot about running and training since Tim posed this challenge to me. A bunch of places recommend coming up with a motto for your training. I initially wrote that off as bull-honky and kept reading. It never really made any sense to me until last night.

I mentioned last week that I started watching the movie Miracle while running on the treadmill. USA Hockey coach Herb Brooks knew that the Russian hockey team was almost unbeatable. They were fast, tough and well conditioned. The only way to skate with them and have any chance to win was to beat them at their own game. He told the team "I can't promise you we'll be the best team at Lake Placid next February. But we will be the best conditioned. That I can promise you."

During many of the conditioning scenes in the movie, Coach Brooks reminds the players that "The Legs Feed the Wolf". As they continued to skate - legs burning and totally exhausted, he reminded them that The Legs Feed the Wolf.

Now, what exactly does "The Legs Feed the Wolf" mean? Well, we'll turn to the Wild Kratts to answer that one. The Wild Kratts, if you don't know, are a set of brothers - Chris and Martin Kratt - who have a half live action/half animated program on PBS all about animals. My kids love it, and I kind of like it too. It's entertaining enough to keep them watching and learning all about different kinds of animals. One of the episodes is about wolves where they mention that wolfs can trot (8-10 mph) for hours on end, sometimes covering 60 miles in a single night hunting for food - making them the marathoners of the animal world. So, if a wolf wants to eat, he needs strong legs to hunt down food. Thus - the Legs Feed the Wolf.

Ok, great. We've covered an eight year old movie about a hockey game from 32 years ago and a kid's animal show made possible by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and Viewers Like You. What does any of this have to do with running? Well, last night I was taking advantage of the unseasonably warm weather and going for a run outside. I had mapped out a 5k course on Google Maps and had intended to run as much of it as I could. I'd get farther and farther along and my legs would be aching and I think about walking for a little while. Then "The Legs Feed The Wolf" would pop into my head, prodding me to keep going.

I only walked for about 2 blocks a little over half way though my run and finished the 5k course in 39:09. Did my little motto/mind trick help? It sure didn't hurt. Maybe a training motto isn't such a bad idea after all...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: