Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #76
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

This is the plane ride that never ends, yes it goes on and on my...wait? We're there?

Wednesday, January 11

Joe and I woke up a bit earlier than normal and sent Henry off to school, as we do every weekday. We hadnt mentioned the D-Word (DISNEY!) in a couple days, so he was unsuspecting that today was THE Day! While Henry was at school we finished up things around the house and the last minute packing - it all took longer than we expected, doesn't it always?! But we got it done! Joe went and picked up Henry from school and we took off shortly after at 11 AM...about 30 minutes later than I wanted to.

We took the bus near our house to the train, and it actually arrived fairly quickly - that bus NEVER runs on time, so it was a pleasant surprise!

The transition to the train was easy, but the ride took a bit longer than expected. We finally arrived at the stop that connects to JFK, but then we also need to take the AirTrain to get to JFK...and that too took longer than expected. We needed to hurry and pray for short lines! Thankfully the terminal wasnt too busy.

Henry hitched a ride on the suitcase as we zipped through JFK!

The JetBlue gals that checked us in were incredibly friendly and sweet with Henry....it helped improve our frantic and nervous moods.

We were pushing time, but we had to get something to eat considering our flight was over 5 hours long and right over meal time. $42 later we had 3 sandwiches, a yogurt, grapes and two drinks. At least it all tasted good!

We went straight to the gate and we were the very last people to board the plane, which I dont mind a bit! I am already going to spend enough time in that little seat, Im more than happy to board last!

There was a slight delay before we took off to arrange baggage under the plane, but soon we were taking off.

Five hours in front of us.

With a 4-year old.

Hoo boy.

My bag was stocked. Books, MagnaDoodle, the iPad, coloring crayons, stickers and more. JetBlue also has TVs in the seat. Wed be okay, right?!!

Right?!?!?!

We had some really nice stewards on the plane who were more than generous with the snacks. The insisted we take more than a few! We all watched movies, ate (and ate, and ate!), I worked and napped.

Henry played with nearly everything in the bag. It seriously could have gone disastrously with a 4-year old, but it actually went very well!!

We were soon flying over the mountains

I was SO excited to see the mountains! I've never seen them before!

and we knew we were close. Henry started to get a bit antsy at the end of the trip, but we all were!

And before I knew it, the pilot was announcing we were in our final decent. It was almost over. That was a breeze! Weve had 3 hour flights that were much worse!

We landed at 7:42 PM and literally walked off the plane.

There was no terminal!

The JetBlue terminal at Long Beach is under refurb and it was so strange - a bunch of temporary (until May 2013!) buildings housed everything... Baggage claim was even outside.

At least it was easy to find our way around!

Soon we had all our bags, Henry and I hugged a palm tree

and were across the street at Alamo for our rental car. I had snagged a nice rate of $134 for the week. Since we had a couple off-site days planned we wanted the car, otherwise we would have likely hired car service or taken a taxi. Parking at the Disney Resorts (and most off-site) does have a fee, so its quite the additional expense.

Long Beach (as well as LAX and John Wayne) is very close to Disneyland, about a 30 minute drive and VERY easy to get to. Long Beach to Disneyland is literally 2 roads. I wasnt too nervous about the drive.

Anyway, back to Alamo, the agent told us all he had left were minivans or Tahoes.

Say what?

Yikes.

I dont drive regularly, so having a BIG vehicle in LA traffic had me a bit nervous. We chose the Tahoe

and loaded up our stuff. I was completely intimidated by that thing...but I had to admit, it was very nice and comfortable.

Soon we were pulling out and my nerves calmed. I quickly got more confident with Carzilla, it was actually pretty easy to handle and had some nice get-up-and-go...necessary for LA drivers!

Before we had left I had Google Mapped where a Target was and we found it without any problem. We picked up some breakfast foods and water for the hotel room and were surprised at the lower costs. I figured the area would be on par with NYC, but it was a bit cheaper! Score! Next stop was In & Out Burger, we were HUNGRY! I have heard of this place for yearsssss and trying it was a Must Do! Plus we were more than ready to get some food in our bellies.

The place was hoppin'!

There were no free seats when we walked in, but we figured we'd either eat outside or just wait for a table...but a young boy saved us a table.

It was SO nice and unexpected! He saw us coming in with a young child and grabbed the booth when it opened. I was in awe. So, so kind.

Excited!!!!

YUM! Soooooo good, and $15 for all three of us to eat! Cheap! We talked about going back before we left California, but we never did.

And finally, finally, finally it was time to go to our hotel, Disney's Paradise Pier (PP...he he. I have a 4-year old boy, potty humor!). Henry ended up falling asleep in the short car ride from In & Out to PP.

Overall, the drive from the airport to the Disneyland Resort area was very, very easy. We avoided the highways (recommended) and there were a lot of stoplights, but it was simple. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend driving if you prefer, or have off-site activities planned.

Continued in next post

Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL

Last edited by brookelizabeth; 03-04-2012 at 08:32 PM.
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #77
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

....and....I lost my post.

And I don't have time to re-do it!

Hang tight in the car on the drive over to Paradise Pier and I'll be back tonight!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #78
Pinkgirl
DIS Veteran

Hi I lurked all the way through your last trippie - wow those hyper links are cool - but thought wowser, made it in at the start of this baby so better come out of the shadows and say Hi

I have never been to California, but OH has, so I am really looking forward to this report. I've also never heard of In n Out Burgers so its all new to me.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #79
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Yay you're on the way! Henry looks so tiny in that first picture beside Joe! and liking the nickname for the Car Carzilla
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #80
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I am sitting waiting for Claire at dance class.....starving to death, as we will eat after she is done....and those burgers and fires look like heaven!!!! I think it will be a burger night
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #81
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Glad the 5-hour flight went well. I love the picture of Henry with the ketchup - he is looking so grown up!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #82
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

I In-N-Out. A big reason why I want to go back to DL!

Jill in CO
Old 03-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #83
auroralark
Lives for vacation

In & Out Burger is the best place ever. I wish we had them on the East coast.

Many trips as a kid! Offsite, CBR, Offsite, POR, All Star Sports, Offsite 3x May/June '07 Disneymoon @ BWI *
Sep '07 @ POR * May '09 @ CR * July '09 @ POP!Disneyland! Dec '09 - Jan '10 * Universal! July '10 * Sep '10 @ CSR
Jan '11 @ Poly * Solo! Oct '11 @POR * Feb '12 @ AKL * Little girl's first trip Sep '14 * Goin' again Sep '15
auroralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #84
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Glad your flight went well...

I had to laugh at your carzilla comment. I thought "score" when you were offered those two vehicles. I can not handle driving the small...low to the ground things. I would feel too much like I was going to get run over by the other cars (especially in LA traffic) So I bet you can guess that I drive something big... how big... suburban big. Now she is my beast.... maybe not carzilla.. but a beast for sure.

I have only been to an In and Out burger once and it was in San Fran... and... it kinda scared me.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #85
Woth2982
DIS Veteran

I LOOOOOOVE In and Out. I always hit it up once when we are out in LA. One trip my brother's only requests were the San Diego Zoo, Jack in the Box and In and Out. Needless to say his trip wishes were filled in 24 hours lol. We did the zoo first since we were all jet lagged and up super early anyway. Sounds like you had a nice smooth flight! I can't imagine keeping a 4 year old occupied for that long. Esp because 7 pm Cali time is probably way past his bed time!
Woth2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #86
Little_Birdie
Earning My Ears

I'm glad your flight went well!
And Oh my gosh In-n-Out! I love that place! It's really the only fast food restaurant I will buy a hamburger from!

Your trip sounds pretty magical already and you haven't even arrived at DLR!
I can't wait to hear more!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #87
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Why is it that all I remember from the post is the burger!

Kidding! I'm glad the flight was good. Our flights from Milwaukee to MCO only last 2 1/2 hours and it's long enough for me. I just hate sitting that long.

Love your Carzilla! They are fun to drive, plus they're so big I feel pretty safe!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #88
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Glad Henry and ( you and Joe) made it through the flight.

I laughed at Carzilla too. Glad the ride was short. I was going to take the Disneyland Express but I am wondering if I should get a car for a day or 2.

How sweet that a boy got you seats at In N Out. Restores my faith a bit when I hear things like that.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #89
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

What a great day! An easy flight, a delicious looking meal, and one super duper cute happy kid Cant wait to read more
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #90
basketkat
DIS Veteran

I'm glad the flight was so easy!

I've never heard of In n Out Burger, but it looks really yummy!

'01-Off Property '02-All Star Movies Honeymoon '10- All Star Movies'11- Coronado Springs'12- Dream Cruise to Bahamas/Wilderness Lodge'12- Disneyland
basketkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: