Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #856
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Mother of the Year. NOT!

After our bellies were full of goodness from the Hunger Bear we continued on our way and almost immediately saw Brer Fox!

He has a canoe paddle

He went on down to the Davy Crockett canoes

Put on a life jacket

...or tried to!

And cheered on the crazy folks going canoeing on this chilly day!

It was a fun thing to see! We left the area before we saw if he actually got into a canoe, but it sure looked like he was going to!

The Haunted Mansion - it was closed, they were taking down the holiday overlay

Remember those FastPasses I had collected for Big Thunder? Well, during lunch Henry had decided to ride with me. He boldly marched up to the queue while Joe and I cheered him on about how big of a boy he was.

And then we got here

and he started to have second thoughts.

We boarded. The train started and he started to cry.

I don't remember much of the ride, I cannot tell you if it was better than WDW's or not. All I could do was feel very, very guilty. I DO remember that at the end it splashes through some water, which took me by surprise!

I took a few pictures on the ride, but most didn't turn out since I had one arm around Henry to try and comfort him.

Very soon we were off the ride. Henry was still crying, I was still feeling like the Mother of the Year. NOT.

We recovered. And opted to do something we knew, without a doubt, Henry would enjoy. The Shootin' Arcade!

After the arcade, we decided to hop over to DCA to cover a few more things we hadn't done there yet!

Continued in next post
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #857
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Continued from previous post

Oops - I guess we made a pit stop for some shopping too! At some point Henry had lost the pin he traded for earlier in the trip. He was really upset about it, so we stopped and let him pick out a brand new one.

The Disneyland version!

How cute is this?

I like these shelves too

Hi Walt!

Henry's pick!

Out the gates we went, across the plaza and right into DCA! Park Hopping in Disneyland is so nice and EASY!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #858
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Luvin the update. Poor Henry on Big Thunder Mountain. I don't blame him for crying. I won't go on coasters at all
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #859
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

I was in a bit of a panic watching Briar Fox go down by the canoes and put on a lifejacket.
I was like Oh Heck No - You can not put a large HEAVY Furry costume in a canoe. What if it tips????

Once I saw the size of the lifejacket I was confident he was just Goofin'.

I had visions of a drowning Briar Fox. In water I cannot see the bottom of.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #860
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Your photos are awesome as always! I really need to get into a better habit of looking up. I miss so much.

I understand the Mom of the Year guilt. I "encouraged" my DS to go on TOT when he really didn't want to, but he is one you just never know if he'll like it until he tries. I should've known better.

Isn't walking from park to park the greatest thing?! If one is too busy, that's OK because you can just wander over to the other one.

Disappointed to say DD showchoir will not be headed to NY. Money is a huge factor for many kids in our school district, and they just didn't have enough kids able to afford the trip.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #862
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Great updates! I have got to get back to DLR ASAP!!!

Jill in CO
Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #863
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Don't feel bad, Brook- Henry needs SOMETHING to talk about in therapy when he grows up!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #864
*dreamit*doit*
Mouseketeer

Ok, so I have a LOT to catch up on...but just wanted to say hi!! I'm here!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #865
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I have coaxed my dd into trying something (actually just this last trip) and having her absolutely be terrified. I don't think you are a bad mom... sometimes a gentle nudge and our kids find something that they love. My oldest dd would not go on a rollercoaster for anything. Her dad bet her real money she would like it and she took the bet. Now... it could have been one that my dh lost and we would have been horrible for coaxing her... but SHE lost and also won because she LOVES roller coasters and has from that very first one she road.

I like BTMRR in DL a bit better. I think there are more drops?

The canoes crack me up... you have to actually "work" to do them. My dd had a bit of a fit on them.

Love the shop pics!!!
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #866
ladylyons
Wishing I was closer to Disneyland

Don't feel bad about taking Henry on BTMRR. On our last trip our DD was finally 40" tall and wanted to go on everything!!!! Well that backfired!! DH went to take her on Space Mountain (she wanted to go) but by the time they got to the ride vehicle she was not feeling it and was crying. Needless to say I was already there to take her away before they got on (I had a feeling she wouldn't go). Then my DH did take her on BTMRR. She laughed until they did the first drop! Cried the whole rest of the way. Then I took her on Radiator Springs Racers (similiar to Test Track). She liked it until the race started (the fast part). Cried the rest of the ride. Oh well. Did I feel bad yes but you never kow if they are going to fully like it until you get them on it. And yes we were that family that would take our screaming, crying kids to see the characters cuz we never knew when the breakthrough would happen. Now we have the kids who are running up to them to give them the biggest hugs ever!!!

We also say Hi to Walt every time we walk by the firehouse. Now I have another reason the firehouse will always hold a special place in my heart. Over the New Year (while I was in DL) I lost a freind that I had known since elementary school. He was a former firefighter and had been teaching classes to our local school.

What do you mean we're driving to WDW from CA? PTR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3179094
ladylyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #867
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Don't feel bad, Brook- Henry needs SOMETHING to talk about in therapy when he grows up!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #868
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I hate to say that I've coaxed my kids onto rides before and they either came out crying or ran off to a corner and sucked their thumbs. Okay, so I'm exaggerating a little. Seriously, Henry probably got over it much more quickly than you did.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #869
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Brook -

I think that my last post about New Orleans Square's decorations got buried at the very end of the previous page, right before the page turned, so I'm not sure if you saw it...but I thought of something I wanted to ask you anyway!

If I recall correctly, in looking at DISboards' e-mail alerts/subscription notifications that came through I think I saw that you use SmugMug (or is it Smug Mug?)? The photo links had a SmugMug reference. Do you like SmugMug? Is it worthwhile to join? What are the advantages?

The reason I ask is because I am a longtime Photobucket customer and they have been reworking their website so much lately that it is now full of bugs and very non-user friendly (especially for people who post hundreds or thousands of photos of forums!). They basically forced everyone into a half-finished new website that is missing some key features we all used to use. I am looking for a good replacement, but there are so many image hosting sites that it is hard to decide which ones are best.

One thing I need is the ability to be able to choose a size for uploading multiple photos at once. I don't want my photos to turn out gigantic when I upload, but I also don't want to have to go through and individually resize each photo one by one to get them at the size I normally use. One great feature of the old Photobucket was that we could choose the size we wanted before uploading many pictures at once. However, they do not have that feature working on the new site. So if I can find another image hosting service that has that feature, I will gladly start uploading any new photos there. Does SmugMug have that function?

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #870
merbobear
DIS Veteran

I am a little behind on your TR but I saw the title of the latest update and had to peek! Part of being a great mom or dad is coaxing our little babies into being big kids and expanding their horizons! It's not always going to work out in our favor, but someone's gotta do it! Believe me, I have been on the "Mother of the year! NOT" list myself a time or two (I recall specifically last summer we took dd on a child's roller coaster in Six Flags. She started crying before it took off and got so worked up that she literally threw up on herself. MOM OF THE YEAR, right here, looking to take your trophy! lol

But don't self-bash too hard, even if you had a moment where you felt like YOU made your darling boy sad, you are still the mom that takes him on all of these wonderful adventures and there is a reason that he leans into you for comfort when he is sad or scared! To Henry, you are the best Mommy in the whole entire world.

merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: