Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #796
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

That train show is amazing. Have a great trip!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #797
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

What a gorgeous display! Thanks for sharing!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 40/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #798
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Love trains + Love gardens + Love NY at Christmas = Lots and lots of love...

I've always thought New York looks extra pretty at Christmastime... if it weren't for the incredible crowds it would be absolutely perfect...

(have to check out the window displays... anything extra good this year?)

I really do love DL too... I'm nostalgic for it reading your TR... it's really an awesome park in its own right... and I love that there are differences between the two... because then you have reasons to visit both...

(I know you do Disney Travel... and I've always wondered why Disney doesn't sell DLR as part of a So Cal. vacation ... either La or San Diego anchored by a 3-4 night stay at DLR... and then a 3-4 night stay at either one of those cities... It makes a perfect family vacation... Unless maybe they do more on the West Coast and I just don't see it as much on the East Coast... but SD has Legoland and the SD zoo or the SD zoo wild park, and the beaches... or there's LA and the things there are to do there... I've just been curious about that... )

Oh so the deal at the Disneyland Hotel isn't a DVC but being able to use your points for rooms there? Well that would still be great...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #799
thegreggersmom
Mouseketeer

Hi Brook! I haven't posted in eons but it's the week before Christmas and work is just not happening for me. Love the report! Henry looks so young!
thegreggersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #800
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
That train show is amazing. Have a great trip!
It really is, the time it must take to put that together! Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
What a gorgeous display! Thanks for sharing!
It was - very pretty and unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Love trains + Love gardens + Love NY at Christmas = Lots and lots of love...

I've always thought New York looks extra pretty at Christmastime... if it weren't for the incredible crowds it would be absolutely perfect...

(have to check out the window displays... anything extra good this year?)

I really do love DL too... I'm nostalgic for it reading your TR... it's really an awesome park in its own right... and I love that there are differences between the two... because then you have reasons to visit both...

(I know you do Disney Travel... and I've always wondered why Disney doesn't sell DLR as part of a So Cal. vacation ... either La or San Diego anchored by a 3-4 night stay at DLR... and then a 3-4 night stay at either one of those cities... It makes a perfect family vacation... Unless maybe they do more on the West Coast and I just don't see it as much on the East Coast... but SD has Legoland and the SD zoo or the SD zoo wild park, and the beaches... or there's LA and the things there are to do there... I've just been curious about that... )

Oh so the deal at the Disneyland Hotel isn't a DVC but being able to use your points for rooms there? Well that would still be great...
I agree, NY at Christmas is amazing. We love it here always, but at Christmas it's just awesome. We actually haven't looked at the window displays this year! I've wanted to, but time has slipped away.

Disneyland is amazing. We truly loved being there. It is so familiar, yet so different. I definitely think it's worth a visit and different enough from WDW to be a different vacation.

As for the Southern California package - they do! You can purchase various CA attractions with your Disneyland tickets, or even a Southern California CityPass right through Disney. The CityPass gives you SeaWorld, Universal and Disneyland, and you can add-on the zoo. The different attractions you can add on to your Disney package are Universal, SeaWorld, Knotts Berry Farm, Legoland, Medieval Times, San Diego Zoo, the Aquarium of the Pacific, Catalina Island Tour, LA/Hollywood Experience, Cirque du Soleil IRIS, the OC Beach Bus Tour, the OC Experience, the San Diego City Tour plus Tijuana and Madame Tussaud's & Shopping. So quite a few different choices! We just opted to do our Legoland outside of a package due to having a coupon, and 2 of our 3 tickets were discounted (through Disney, because I took the class), so we couldn't change them at all.

Yes, the last I heard is they were going to open up the DLH so we can use our points there since the GCV was in such demand. I haven't looked too much into it, but should...I'm FULLY planning on getting back to Disneyland this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreggersmom View Post
Hi Brook! I haven't posted in eons but it's the week before Christmas and work is just not happening for me. Love the report! Henry looks so young!
Hello you! I was just about to work on something with your name on it after I updated.

I know - doesn't he?! Such a little baby face! It's amazing what a year does.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #801
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

The Brave Little Boy

I left off with Henry wanting to ride this

for those who aren't familiar with Disneyland, that is Gadget's Go Coaster. A kiddy coaster, but still a COASTER.

I did a double-take at Henry when he asked, but I didn't question it, I grabbed his hand and marched right into line. However, I was FULLY expecting him to freak out and change his mind before we reached the load platform.

The line was very short, we watched maybe one or two cycles

Taken from the queue

The queue, by the way, was adorable. Gadget is from Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers (Ch-ch-chip and Dale Rescue Rangers! Ch-ch-chip and Dale, when there's danger...), so the queue was full of things that little chipmunks would use to build things - like this bridge has a comb as a railing. Cute.

We are almost in the load house...will he bail? Where is the chicken exit?

Joe and I were exchanging "looks" the entire time. In complete surprise. But we kept moving forward, never questioning.

We are next in line!

And...

He...

GOT ON!

Such a brave little boy!

He looks scared!

View from the hill

Woo-hoo!!!

He looks REALLY scared!

The ride is about 30 seconds long and packs less of a punch than WDW's Barnstormer.

So...what did he think?

"I WANT TO GO AGAIN!"

And we did!

This time he's excited (and riding with Daddy)

Let's go!

He came off jumping and skipping! Success!!!

He wanted to go again, but the line had grown quite a bit between the two rides, so we opted to go explore the other half of Toontown instead.

Donald's boat

While walking around we ran into

No handler, just hanging out in Toontown.

He grabbed Henry's hand and they started walking around together for a bit. It was awesome, Henry told him about how he drove his car.

Continued in next post
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #802
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Continued from previous post

After that fun encounter we made our way to the other side

I just love the look and detail!

Henry spies the firetruck

This part of Toontown had a few interactive elements, like the door bell here you could push. I cannot recall what it did though...it wasn't just your typical bell.

Inside the post office

Hmmm...what's this?

Push down the lever and the sound of fireworks go off in the factory and the window smokes!

Ring this bell and it sounds like glass is shattering

Pull on the Power House doors and it all lights up (a little freaky for the kid!)

We turned around and who did we see? Again, no handler, just hanging out?

The morning was ticking by and while we were having a lot of fun in Toontown there was a very important thing I wanted to get done yet, and I wanted to do it in the morning.

Where were we off to next???
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #803
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I'm finally caught up! I had to go back a few updates. Legoland looks so cool. (They could've left out the guy in the Grand Central Station bathroom though. ) I really liked the Washington D.C. layout. I wouldn't have minded more Star Wars pictures though. James was in a robotics club last year and they used those Lego Mindstorm's for the robots. We thought about getting him one for Christmas last year, but they're so expensive that it would've been his only gift so decided not to.

I enjoyed the Disneyland updates too, and the miniature buildings at the model train thing you went to looked amazing.

Congrats to Henry on conquering his first coaster!
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #804
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Toon town is such a neat area in DL. I think it really appeals to he young ones (that and bugs world in DCA). Gadgets go coaster is a good starter coaster. Yay! For Henry for conquering it! And the interactive parts.... OMG, they are so fun! The only thing I dislike is the characters wandering without handlers. I think it lends itself to a bit of chaos when people want to meet them. In your case though, it is in fact very neat that Henry got such one on one time! You don't see much of that with handlers around.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #805
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post

These little circus cages are small. You will be cramped! And this picture makes me laugh. Who made that teen boy ride this?!
I'm making my way though your trip report. We're headed to DL for the first time with our 3 kiddos in February. But, I had to jump in and say your "teen on a train" pic has me cracking up! As to who made him do it, my money's on the blonde with the smirk!

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #806
ladylyons
Wishing I was closer to Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Love your pictures!!! We've done WDW at New Year's and it's a madhouse too - but so fun and a unique experience. I hope to go back during that time again. I cannot imagine that queue though...ugh. Though, Soarin' at Epcot's wait on NYE was 5 hours long.
Yeah the waits can get a little insane. We've only done New Years Eve once and we ended up leaving around 10 pm cuz it was just way too cold for a 3 month old and a 22 month old!!!

Love the Train Show!! I could see my family doing something like that and enjoying it too!!!

YEAH!!!! Glad Henry loved Gadget's Go Coaster!!!! It's always great when something turns out to be a success!!! The only time's I've seen no handlers witht he characters is when the crowds are huge!! But once the crowds hit expect someone to be with them at all times!!

Oh and DH just agreed to go to Legoland on our next trip!!!! We're getting a deal where we bascially pay for one day this year and get one day free next year!!!! So excitied and Jeremy is going to be in heaven!!!! What little boy wouldn't be when he's immersed in everything Lego!!!

Wait this isn't the way to WDW! TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3346971
ladylyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #807
MEK
DIS Veteran

I read your update before I left for work this morning and I was all smiles seeing Henry do his first coaster.

Way to go Henry! You the Man!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #808
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Yay for Henry! I'm glad he loved the coaster.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #809
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Yay for Henry. I am so glad he loved the rollar coaster. it would be right up Claire's alley too. She loves barnstormer, but still isn't too sure on the bigger ones.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #810
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas

POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: