Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #676
ClaireW
Mouseketeer

Quite an adventure - and despite the cold floor it looks like you found not such a bad place to round off the evening!

I took a look at some of those ABD itineraries - if my youngest was just a tiny bit older I'd be booking us straight onto the trip to Scotland! Once DD turns four I'll be looking again - there's more than one I'd like to explore! g
I really like the family feel of them, as well as lots of sightseeing we'd get to spend an evening or two enjoying a Disney movie.
ClaireW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #677
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Glad you got to spend some time at the beach...even if it was maybe shorter than you had hoped.

Love the DTD night pic! And the pizza looks yummy.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #678
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Santa Monica is so pretty!

I'm using your tr as I plan our August 2013 trip to DL at GCV!

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #679
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
So Henry made friends with a dog almost twice his size. That's too funny!

I'm glad you got to visit the beach even though you only had an hour. The pier looks cool and SO long. And the beach is SO wide. Wow!

Are you serious that the water is colder there in January then it is here. I find that hard to believe since our water is frigid. BRRRRRRRRRRH!

Ah - nothing like warm pizza on cool concrete. I'm glad it hit the spot.
I didn't even think about it, but YES! that dog was about twice the size of Henry!

I'm so glad we got to visit the beach too! It was worth the trek to me! The day was quite a bit less productive than I had hoped, but we still got to see the sites we most cared about for the day. The beach was HUGE! It was a HIKE!

Well, I think the water there in January was colder than the water on the east coast in January, but in general it's colder there because the currents come down from the north, whereas on the east coast they come up from the Caribbean. It's also choppier on the west coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylyons View Post
What a fun trip to the beach!! Sorry about the traffic!! It does get crazy!! I got to see that same Beverly Hills sign last month on my girls weekend. I was just on the wrong side of the car to take a picture!! lol

DTD is a great place to be but it does get busy on weekends!!!
When we saw the Beverly Hills sign we ooohed! It was neat seeing these sites that we have seen on TV and such!

I had figured it would be busy, and the parks too, but I didn't expect it quite as much as it was even! People were everywhere! I was a bit jealous of the locals being able to hang out in Disneyland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Marvelous pics! I was only at a CA beach once, and the water was cold in August!
Ahhhh, you'd hope by August it was decent! But, it does make sense due to the currents. Hopefully we will get back there sometime during warmer weather so we can at least hang out on the beach a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Much braver than I was.

Need to go stick my toes in the Pacific sometime.

I am glad you got there and got to see some of it. Quite the adventure.
I just had to! I couldn't not, no matter how chilly it was! Just to say I've done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireW View Post
Quite an adventure - and despite the cold floor it looks like you found not such a bad place to round off the evening!

I took a look at some of those ABD itineraries - if my youngest was just a tiny bit older I'd be booking us straight onto the trip to Scotland! Once DD turns four I'll be looking again - there's more than one I'd like to explore! g
I really like the family feel of them, as well as lots of sightseeing we'd get to spend an evening or two enjoying a Disney movie.
I've been looking at the various ABD trips as well lately, there are so many I'd like to do!! And I like them for the exact same reason you do - LOVE that they are family focused and provide activities just for kids, have some simpler nights, and some downtime/explore on your own. I think the schedules are just right. Plus, I know it has a 90% rebooking rate. Once people go on them, they LOVE them. Which could be dangerous for the pocketbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Glad you got to spend some time at the beach...even if it was maybe shorter than you had hoped.

Love the DTD night pic! And the pizza looks yummy.
Me too! Despite the traffic, I'm really glad we went. Next trip to California will include some beach time again, it's just too pretty to not go see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Santa Monica is so pretty!

I'm using your tr as I plan our August 2013 trip to DL at GCV!
Isn't it?! Sooooo beautiful. It was worth the drive!

Let me know if you have any questions Jen! You guys are going to love it! We move to GCV on our last night (it was the only day open for our stay by the time we booked), so you'll get some sneak peaks of that. And I WILL finish before August.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #680
Millie12591
DIS Veteran

An update, an update!!

Now I have to go and catch up!

Un-Tangled....How I Got My Life Back-PTR, You Just Lost 80 Pounds-TR
DisneyLand 1989-twice-Nov.1995, Nov.1998, Nov.2001
DisneyWorld-May'07-Stayed @ POP, July'08-Off Property, May'10-Stayed @ CSR, May '13- Stayed @ POP,AofA,CSR & POR-All in one trip!
Millie12591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 AM   #681
merbobear
DIS Veteran

Oh so many things to comment on!
First and foremost, I am so happy that you and your family were safe during Hurricane Sandy. It was predicted to be a lot worse here (Albany) than what we actually got, but it was horrifying nonetheless to watch the news and weather coverage of the storm as it literally ripped the coastline apart. At that time, it was a mixture of sadness for everyone hit as well as fear for what might lie ahead in my own area - there are communities here that are still not recovered from Irene, so to say it would be devastating for many to deal with another storm so soon is an understatement (And I know that many on the Jersey coastline HAVE dealt with damage from both storms). Now, just seeing the extended coverage of the damage on tv...so sad. Just so so sad.
And...now I need to get ready for work so I'll comment on your trip later!

merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #682
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Yay!! You are back to writing.
I love that you are on the beach in January and just wearing a hoodie!! That doesn't happen in Chicago!
Fun update! We drove by Pinks on our tour of CA and the line was down the sidewalk then, too. Wonder if it is ever without a line. We ate at the Pinks at Universal and I wasn't impressed.
Can't wait to read where you will be headed.
Oh, and have to tell you, my DD and I will be in New York (City) in March for a Showchoir competition. I will have to be sure to check with you before we go to get some pointers of what to see and what to avoid. The itinerary includes time in Times Square, a visit to Ground Zero and Ellis Island, a Broadway show (I think we will be seeing Lion King), and their performance will be at Jazz at Lincoln Center. Never been to New York and there is some time on our own, so I will be looking for some ideas. Hope you can help.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #683
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

I am loving your trip report. We are trying to decide if we want to venture out to Disneyland next year instead of WDW (we have a son just about Henry's age). Your report isn't making it any easier!
Curiouser&curiouser! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #684
ClaireW
Mouseketeer

Interesting statistic about the ABD rebooking rate but I think i can see why!
Any ideas how that compares to the cruises? That's something we've not done yet either
ClaireW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #685
merbobear
DIS Veteran

Ahh it seems the only time around here where I have a quiet minute to myself is before the sun comes up! I just wanted to come back to comment on a couple other things from your tr. I loved the whole Hollywood & Santa Monica tour! Just seeing the HW sign & the SM Pier must have been so thrilling And it's awesome that you got to hang out with your friend, it's nice to be able to reconnect.
And finally, I love your hair long!

merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #686
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Sounds like my kind of driving. I swear I get stuck in a jam if there is one or lost easily and I am usually good with direction too. But an unfamiliar place is always a bit scary.
I get that way if i don't eat too. A little unmagical in mood.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #687
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

I think your TR is the only one I didn't have to catch up on!

Traffic ....I suffer from road rage, I wouldn't have done well. I actually would have tried the empty road to see if I could have gotten around!

Beautiful shots of the area!! I've been to the ocean, but just a lonely stretch close to Redding, CA.

Food improves the mood! It looked like a nice way to wind down your night.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #688
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow American DIS buddies!!!!

I hope you've had a wonderful holiday!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #689
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
An update, an update!!

Now I have to go and catch up!
I know - I'm on a roll being all caught up with the DIS finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
Oh so many things to comment on!
First and foremost, I am so happy that you and your family were safe during Hurricane Sandy. It was predicted to be a lot worse here (Albany) than what we actually got, but it was horrifying nonetheless to watch the news and weather coverage of the storm as it literally ripped the coastline apart. At that time, it was a mixture of sadness for everyone hit as well as fear for what might lie ahead in my own area - there are communities here that are still not recovered from Irene, so to say it would be devastating for many to deal with another storm so soon is an understatement (And I know that many on the Jersey coastline HAVE dealt with damage from both storms). Now, just seeing the extended coverage of the damage on tv...so sad. Just so so sad.
And...now I need to get ready for work so I'll comment on your trip later!
I know just what you mean. We watched the news and watched Twitter (ha ha! but true!) as Sandy moved up the coast and it was unreal. I'm so thankful we were pretty much untouched in my part of Queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerrn2 View Post
Yay!! You are back to writing.
I love that you are on the beach in January and just wearing a hoodie!! That doesn't happen in Chicago!
Fun update! We drove by Pinks on our tour of CA and the line was down the sidewalk then, too. Wonder if it is ever without a line. We ate at the Pinks at Universal and I wasn't impressed.
Can't wait to read where you will be headed.
Oh, and have to tell you, my DD and I will be in New York (City) in March for a Showchoir competition. I will have to be sure to check with you before we go to get some pointers of what to see and what to avoid. The itinerary includes time in Times Square, a visit to Ground Zero and Ellis Island, a Broadway show (I think we will be seeing Lion King), and their performance will be at Jazz at Lincoln Center. Never been to New York and there is some time on our own, so I will be looking for some ideas. Hope you can help.
That is one of my very favorite parts about visiting warm weather destinations in the winter - wearing out of season clothing! While it was a bit chilly it felt GREAT to not be covered in snow! Although, the winter here in NYC last year was pretty tame.

I can DEFINITELY help with your NYC trip, I love talking about the city that I love!! Sounds like you have a pretty great schedule already - but there is so much to see and do, I'm here when you are ready to start planning. I'm guessing your stop at Ellis Island also includes the Statue of Liberty since they are pretty much together...if not for some reason, you should definitely do that. It's not expensive at all, and a wonderful experience. Ellis Island is awesome too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouser&curiouser! View Post
I am loving your trip report. We are trying to decide if we want to venture out to Disneyland next year instead of WDW (we have a son just about Henry's age). Your report isn't making it any easier!
I'd say DO IT! We truly lovedddddddd Disneyland. It's so different, yet the same. A wonderful experience! And it's EASY. So easy! We ditched the stroller this trip (and actually haven't brought it on a trip since!), and he had NO problems even at the age of 4.5. My next update might be the clincher...about an hour away is another land that boys happen to adore...it often has "Kids Free with an Adult" offers too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireW View Post
Interesting statistic about the ABD rebooking rate but I think i can see why!
Any ideas how that compares to the cruises? That's something we've not done yet either
I'm not certain on the rebooking rate on cruises...I'm sure it's up there though! It's probably close to 90% as well. Good question, I'll have to ask about that sometime... Cruising is GREAT. That is a totally different trip than WDW or DL though. There are some really good deals out right now too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
Ahh it seems the only time around here where I have a quiet minute to myself is before the sun comes up! I just wanted to come back to comment on a couple other things from your tr. I loved the whole Hollywood & Santa Monica tour! Just seeing the HW sign & the SM Pier must have been so thrilling And it's awesome that you got to hang out with your friend, it's nice to be able to reconnect.
And finally, I love your hair long!
I hear ya! Mine is either before the sun comes up or long after it's down. Or when Joe wants to run to Best Buy to take advantage of a good deal on a Black Friday sale and takes Henry with him.

Thank you on the hair! I go through spurts that are a few years in length...I think I've had longer hair now for about 2 years. It will probably last about a year more and then get chopped! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Sounds like my kind of driving. I swear I get stuck in a jam if there is one or lost easily and I am usually good with direction too. But an unfamiliar place is always a bit scary.
I get that way if i don't eat too. A little unmagical in mood.
That's a good way to put it! "Unmagical in my mood" It's true though, I was grumpy and did NOT want that pizza and it was ALL Joe's fault at the moment! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
I think your TR is the only one I didn't have to catch up on!

Traffic ....I suffer from road rage, I wouldn't have done well. I actually would have tried the empty road to see if I could have gotten around!

Beautiful shots of the area!! I've been to the ocean, but just a lonely stretch close to Redding, CA.

Food improves the mood! It looked like a nice way to wind down your night.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Ya, we are a bit slow moving around here...trying to pick up the pace a bit now that I'm finally caught up on the DIS though...trying... Let's see if I can finish it before 2013!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #690
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Surprising Henry

The next morning was January 15 - and I haven't a clue when we woke up, but I know it was bright and early!!

Joe went down to the Quick Service lounge at Paradise Pier and came back with breakfast while Henry and I got ready in the room.

A breakfast burrito for Joe

Breakfast pizza for Henry and I.

Henry still had no idea where we were going and while I can't recall for sure, I'm 99.9% certain he was asking what it was - over and over and over again.

We loaded up into Carzilla and started our drive...

The drive was easy - all highway driving with NO traffic, and fairly scenic.

Surfboards

Ocean!

So where were we going for the day?

Henry's wonderland.

This boy is Lego CRAZY. I cannot tell you how much we have spent on Legos because it's embarrassing! However, I don't mind spending the money on them because he can literally sit for HOURS and play with them, building all sorts of things - and he's quite good! Plus, Joe loves them almost as much.

Knowing how much he was going to LOVE Legoland, we kept it a secret, otherwise he would have been asking for the past few days when we'd be in Legoland driving us crazy...

Pulling up we decided it was time to tell him...you also get to hear him utter "No way Jose!" which was his trip theme and which he hasn't really said since...!

Video: Surprising Henry (2 minutes, 13 seconds)

We were soon walking up to the gates

Video: Entering Legoland (20 seconds)

I'll do a quick mini review here before we dive into pictures:
There was ONE thing on that boy's mind for the entire day, to BUY Legos (as you heard in the video above). He asked no fewer than 82,912 times when we could buy Legos and our response was always the same: right before we leave. At times he just wanted to leave so he could buy the Legos, even though he was having a great time. We knew if we purchased the Legos first, he'd just want to play, and we didn't pay an admission price to just sit and play with Legos! Aside from that aggravation we had a great time at Legoland. The park is simple, and some rides are just for the kids - and most are VERY kid friendly - any child over the age of 10-12 would be bored here. Henry was a perfect age. I think the adult tickets should be cheaper than what they are considering you end up doing a lot of standing around watching your child ride...but they often have "Kids Free with an Adult Ticket" coupons, so it's worth it. I don't think this is a "must do" every trip, but we do want to go again-likely to the one in Florida this time. If you have a Lego crazed kid like I do and you can fit it in, do it. It's definitely not Disney quality, and is quite expensive (the food is even more than Disney!), but it's fun and makes for a very memorable time for a Lego nut. Henry still talks about it and wants to go back.

With that said, let's roll on with the pictures!

Loved the themed cement.

Where to first?

We went to the back of the park first, which meant passing a few things that really caught Henry's eye. As with the whole "buying the Legos at the end" thing, it was hard to reason with a 4-year old about why we should do the bigger rides first and go to the back of the park.

Passing through Duplo Village

Video: Duplo Village (30 seconds)

Entering into Fun Town

We saw the Volvo Driving School and I figured they would be a lot like the cars at the MK (slow moving, long line!), so let's do those now! Plus, Henry was begging for a ride by this point, so it worked!

Well...I'm glad we have a few years until he's 16. He made it half a lap before he even gave up!

Video: Speed Racer (1 minute, 50 seconds)

More cars, but just ones to sit in and pretend you are racing. More Henry's speed at that point!

Continued in next post

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: