Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #511
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

The walk to the Cheesecake Factory looked so nice. I think the palm tree lined sidewalk were my favorite pictures of all.

Isn't it neat how you can meet up with an old friend and pick up right where you left off years and years ago? Woohoo Nichol for getting ya'll the seats up front! Yeah Baby!

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #512
LifeIsDis
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Itís SO weird how many restaurants, strip malls, hotels, etc. are right outside Disneyland. Itís totally different from WDW!

Thatís so great you got to see Nichol after seven years. And the Cheesecake Factory makes the visit even better!

You guys must have felt like VIP! Wow! And you were so close too.

I CANNOT wait to see your pictures of WoC!
LifeIsDis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #513
Disneyfreak508
Frumpy Princess ♥

It's weird how excited I was to see Cheesecake factory food pictures It's right up there with Disney food quality for me!

Ps I wanted to tell you, that after I caught up on your trip report back in late may/early june, my family ended up booking a trip to Disneyland!!! We are leaving in one month from today! I can't even tell you how excited I am. Thank you for your reviews, they really helped a lot!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #514
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

We loved world of color!!! I well say I kinda missed WDW well at Disneyland.
ME/DH/DS18/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va

lovegrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #515
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great update, Brook. I loved all your goodies.

We love Cheesecake Factory too (although I don't eat cheesecake); I just wish the menu was just a tad smaller.

How great that you got some pixie dust for the Wonderful World of Color; can't wait to read all about it.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #516
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Taking notes here for my trip to DL.

So nice to see how close everythig is. Cheesecake factory note taken. MMMMmmmm I love thier key lime cheesecake.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV MT- POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #517
MEK
DIS Veteran

Back to see the pictures. Paradise Pier looks so pretty all lit up. Thanks for posting the viewing map.

I enjoyed your walk past the neighboring hotels and to the restaurants. How convenient to be able to walk to so many eateries.

I have to admit, I have never eaten at the Cheesecake Factory. Is that terrible, because those tacos look really, really good. I've had their cheesecake, but never real food.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #518
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Looks like you had an awesome view. Can't wait to see your photos of WOC. They are always so amazing!
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #519
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream

You guys are the cutest family! Little Henry is adorable, he looks like you Brook! BTW, your pictures of your food from the Cheesecake Factory made me very hungry.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #520
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerrn2 View Post
So glad you are back!!! Hope all went well with the move and you are settled. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your DL trip and now the cruise.
Thank you! We are almost settled - a couple boxes left, and I have GOT to get into Henry's room to organize.

I'm so glad life is returning to normal though, June was just nutty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneytheKid View Post
All I can say is wow! Great trip reports!
Thank you for reading!!!! More to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Woo Hoo Brook! I am so happy to see an update from you, even if I can't really "see" it all because of my pictureless status. But you know I'll be back for the details.

How cool that you got to meet up with your friend, enjoy a lovely dinner together, and score an extra FP. And the VIP seating - Awesome! I really can't wait to see your pictures.

You know, I had my heart set on a cruise next fall when Nick goes to college, but now I am really torn between cruise vs. DL. I have avoided any distance traveling (other than Orlando) while my kids have been home and now I am very excited at the thought of planning a trip to Cali!

OK - off topic! Sorry! I just got a little carried away!
For my next update you'll really want pictures!!!! WoC is AMAZING!

No worries about going off topic-I don't mind a bit! You could do Disneyland AND a cruise ya know...California Coastal leaves from LA. Just sayin'... (or even Disneyland, then Alaska with a flight between-not too bad either!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkeim View Post
So glad to see a new post! Your information is so helpful. Loved following along on your walk to the Cheesecake Factory. We'll be there in October and are staying at the Candy Cane Inn. Wondering how far the walk to the restaurant would be from there? Did you see it on your travels? Anxious to hear how you liked WOC. We're going to do the dining deal at Wine Country so we get the preferred viewing area. Any input from others on whether this is worth it?
We did see the Candy Cane Inn, it's on South Harbor (the other busy road that Katella intersects-I took the picture of the Disney bus on it). MANY hotels are on this stretch of road. The Candy Cane Inn is even closer to the Cheesecake Factory and all those restaurants-about one block. I *might* even have a pic of the outside of Candy Cane later.

I think it's a great idea for the dining package. We considered doing it, but we went in January-which is one of the lowest seasons. The parks were NOT busy (except the weekend evenings-locals). The area you get to be in is excellent! So you get a good meal and don't have to rush the gates for a FastPass. Sounds like a win-win to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
The walk to the Cheesecake Factory looked so nice. I think the palm tree lined sidewalk were my favorite pictures of all.

Isn't it neat how you can meet up with an old friend and pick up right where you left off years and years ago? Woohoo Nichol for getting ya'll the seats up front! Yeah Baby!
Isn't it just beautiful? Before we left Joe was scrolling around on Google Maps and saw that street-so we HAD to find it!

I do love that about close friends. My best friend from high school and I are like that. We haven't seen each other in probably 5 years, I will likely get to see her next month and I'm sure we will have NO problem picking back up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsDis View Post
Itís SO weird how many restaurants, strip malls, hotels, etc. are right outside Disneyland. Itís totally different from WDW!

Thatís so great you got to see Nichol after seven years. And the Cheesecake Factory makes the visit even better!

You guys must have felt like VIP! Wow! And you were so close too.

I CANNOT wait to see your pictures of WoC!
Isn't it strange?! When we were driving it was even more strange, it was normal world, normal world, normal world-boom! Disney bubble! Normal world is LITERALLY on the other side of the block.

We were veryyyyy close, and the couple in front of us were so sweet to allow Henry to squeeze between them, so he had front row!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak508 View Post
It's weird how excited I was to see Cheesecake factory food pictures It's right up there with Disney food quality for me!

Ps I wanted to tell you, that after I caught up on your trip report back in late may/early june, my family ended up booking a trip to Disneyland!!! We are leaving in one month from today! I can't even tell you how excited I am. Thank you for your reviews, they really helped a lot!
Us too! We love the Cheesecake Factory. SO good! PF Changs is a winner too. Anytime we visit another city and they have a Cheesecake Factory we go.

for going to Disneyland!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! You will have a wonderful time!!!! Hopefully I can get this report close to done so you can experience even more of it before you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegrumpy View Post
We loved world of color!!! I well say I kinda missed WDW well at Disneyland.
We had the "What do you miss from WDW?" talk on our last park day. I hope I remember to include that in the report when I get there. If not, remind me! We definitely had pieces we missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Great update, Brook. I loved all your goodies.

We love Cheesecake Factory too (although I don't eat cheesecake); I just wish the menu was just a tad smaller.

How great that you got some pixie dust for the Wonderful World of Color; can't wait to read all about it.
I know, their menu is HUGE! It always takes a while to figure out what to eat. But....Joe and I almost always get the same thing. Me=Mexican. Joe=orange chicken. I once got something else and missed my mexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Taking notes here for my trip to DL.

So nice to see how close everythig is. Cheesecake factory note taken. MMMMmmmm I love thier key lime cheesecake.
It is pretty nice that everything is so close-it makes it a much easier and more relaxing vacation, IMO. The parks are smaller, everything is close, the hotel is close - it's like staying at the Contemporary the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Back to see the pictures. Paradise Pier looks so pretty all lit up. Thanks for posting the viewing map.

I enjoyed your walk past the neighboring hotels and to the restaurants. How convenient to be able to walk to so many eateries.

I have to admit, I have never eaten at the Cheesecake Factory. Is that terrible, because those tacos look really, really good. I've had their cheesecake, but never real food.
It really is a VERY pretty area. Despite it's poor reviews, we truly enjoyed DCA. I can see why locals weren't terribly impressed compared to Disneyland, but overall, I liked the park! It's got to be incredible now with the expansion open!

Oh my goodness lady! You've got to try the Cheesecake Factory! Do you have one near you? It's SO good. I always get Mexican-usually the tacos. Joe always gets the Orange Chicken. Both are delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerrn2 View Post
Looks like you had an awesome view. Can't wait to see your photos of WOC. They are always so amazing!
We did! I can't wait to share the pics-it's an easy thing to take pictures of because it's big and bright - so much easier than fireworks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyismyheart247 View Post
You guys are the cutest family! Little Henry is adorable, he looks like you Brook! BTW, your pictures of your food from the Cheesecake Factory made me very hungry.
Aw, thank you! When Henry was a baby, everyone said he looked like Joe, but now everyone says he looks like me. It's so funny to watch him grow up and have personality traits from both of us!

I can see why that food made you hungry-it was SO yummy! I think we will have to make plans for a pitstop at the Cheesecake Factory when we visit Minnesota next month.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #521
LovintheLodge
DIS Veteran

I am soooo enjoying your report! My family is headed to DLR next month for the first time. We are visiting with family nearby so splitting our time between staying at their house and staying 4 nights at the Candy Cane Inn. They have annual passes and go all the time. I bought 6 day park hoppers for flexibility since we may take a couple of brief trips before our stay at CCI.

Your report is definitely helping me learn the 'lay of the land' and giving me lots of tips for our upcoming trip! Can't wait for more...

Kerry

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Beach Club - Aug 2010
Wilderness Lodge - Aug 2005
All Star Sports - Nov 2000 (1st family trip)
Offsite - May 1988
Offsite - Jan 1983
LovintheLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #522
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

The Wonderful World of Color

When I call Disney I often have a hold time. I'm not sure this song is on the normal line, but they have one that helped inspire the World of Color on the one I call. It gets stuck in my head and I sing it every time I look at these pictures.

The World of Color is an AWESOME show. If you are going to Disneyland DO.NOT.MISS.IT! I know in the past there have been discussions of WDW adding a show like this to one of the parks (and even DTD); I reallyyyyyyyyy hope that happens. It would be an incredible addition!

So we devoured our cheesecake, took some pictures and waited. Before we knew it, the show started...I took 274 pictures of this show!

All the water spray nozzles turned color and started to randomly shoot streams into the air

They go REALLY high!

I believe there are three sets of GIANT walls of water like this, all projecting the same image. The experience from far back has to be pretty incredible seeing all three at the same time!

Under the Sea

The projection is so big, it's almost like you become part of the movie.

Transition into the next movie

It was so neat how they easily went from movie to movie, changing the mood completely with the colors and styles of the water and the music.

Up! This was a really neat scene, looks like the house rose out of the water.

Aladdin

I am pretty sure that is the Genie!

Look at the height on that water!

Continued in next post
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL

Last edited by brookelizabeth; 07-18-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #523
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Continued from previous post

And then....this. Pirates! None of my movie clips came out that well, but this definitely the most dramatic part of the entire show. It is awesome!

Yay! A movie scene did kind of come out!

And just when you thought it couldn't get more intense...suddenly there are balls of FIRE!

My camera had a hard time focusing, it was all so fast and the light would change so dramatically in a second. VERY sensory here-it's incredible.

Between the fantastic musical score, the heat of the fire, the quickly changing scenes, the color-this is a segment of the show where I felt like I had been taken to another place, it's so sensory it overwhelms you and you forget where you are. Really, really, REALLY awesome.

At the end of the Pirate's section, Jack Sparrow comes on and says something like, "Did you catch that? Good, because I don't want to do it again!" Ha!!

After Pirates, they show a bunch of film clips - pretty quickly.

Ah! Here you can see the three screens.

It was almost strange to see white water after so many colors!

Continued in next post

Last edited by brookelizabeth; 07-18-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #524
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

More fire! This was the grand finale of the show. I believe the overall show ended with Sorcerer Mickey, which would be appropriate!

And then...

World of Color in the old logo was "written" across the water as an ending.

Beautiful beautiful show! The water, light and musical score alone make the show amazing. The movie clips make it Disney.

I had to linger. I couldn't leave quite yet. I just couldn't take my eyes off it all. The jets turned back on just a bit, creating a beautiful look.

And the World of Color logo faded, but the jets stayed on.

In case you can't tell, I really liked it. And despite being in the wet zone, we didn't get wet AT ALL!! I was so thankful, while it wasn't cold that night, it was a bit chilly-water would have been awful.

We had discussed earlier high tailing it over to Disneyland to catch the fireworks, but Momma lingered far too long. DCA was a total madhouse trying to get out...by the time we exited into the plaza, the fireworks were well under way. We watched a few from outside the Disneyland gates while we all chatted.

Continued in next post

Last edited by brookelizabeth; 07-18-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #525
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I was exhausted, Henry was practically asleep, Joe was ready to go back to the hotel-but Nichol was ready for Disneyland!

Since I hadn't seen her in forever, Joe encouraged I go to the park with her to ride Indiana Jones since I had missed on it the previous day...so I did! Despite being so tired, I carried on!

We said goodbye to the boys and entered the park, aimed right for Indiana Jones where we decided to ride Single Rider. The park was busy! This was a Friday night and it wasn't too cold, so the locals were out in full-force. But...they were mostly just standing around. The ride lines weren't too bad overall. They just come to Disneyland to hang out. The really popular rides, like Indiana Jones definitely had a wait, but the smaller rides really didn't.

We entered through the exit at Indiana Jones, good thing Nichol knew where she was going-the Single Riders line is NOT marked and it's completely confusing to those of us with no sense of direction like myself! We waited maybe about 20 minutes, which I didn't think was too bad-and we ened up right next to each other in the same ride vehicle! The lines must have just been getting longer and longer because they loaded a bunch of Single Riders together.

Hidden Mickey from the queue

I really didn't know what to expect here. Joe said "don't sit on the edge" and guess where I ended up. Yep! The edge. We started in our jeep-it's pretty much the same as Dinosaur in Animal Kingdom (they are the same ride vehicle mechanically, just look different) - and entered a room with 3 doors.

One pops open and off you go! There can be three different paths your jeep goes! How cool! As you are going through the ride you can see other jeeps on the journey. The rooms the ride goes through are HUGE - it really feels like you are there, unlike Dinosaur where I feel like I'm really on a track. I was SCREAMIN'! Oh man, this ride is intense in such a good way. It really is like you are IN the Indiana Jones movies. It easily became my favorite Disney ride EVER.

We decided to go ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad next...but it was down. We waited it out a bit. Chatted. Waited. Chatted. Got a snack.

The mug I got with hot chocolate in it! (btw, Disneyland has the BEST hot chocolate-so creamy!)

Waited...nothing. The Cast Members had no idea when it would be back. So, we finally gave up and opted for another ride on Indiana Jones-I don't mind one bit!

We hopped back into the Single Rider Line and waited, and waited, and WAITED. We were at a point that was a ways back from where we even started the first time and were not moving.

I was fading fast.

Finally, despite REALLY wanting to go again, I just couldn't stay up any longer. Nichol perfectly understood and we decided to leave the park. We parted ways at DTD since she was parked there, made plans to meet up tomorrow, and I slowlyyyyy made the trek back to Paradise Pier. It's really not far, but I was dragging and that felt like the longest walk!

When I got close I noticed this

At night they project Goofy on the surfboard that is on the side of the parking ramp building. How clever. It brought a smile to my face and little elements like that made me fall in love with Disneyland.

Up Next: A Character Breakfast-Disneyland Style

Last edited by brookelizabeth; 07-18-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: