Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #391
monkey30
Dreaming of my next vacation!

I guess I had better Suck it up as well as I am sure my oldest will want to go on the ferris wheel. I am like many here, heights... no way Jose!!LOL

September Family Trip 2012 PTR
DL Trip Report 2012
Left the Kids at home PTR 2013
monkey30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #392
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Well, I am ever so slooooowly working my way through your TR which I somehow got really far behind on. I am loving it! It is so cool to notice all the things that are different between the parks. I always wonder why some parks have certain rides and others do not. Especially why WDW doesn't have most of what the other parks have, especially given the size of WDW.

Your pictures are amazing as always and Henry is too cute! Glad to know that Max isn't the only preschooler who is afraid of things like the dark. Our last trip, Max developed a fear of birds. What???

I will be reading more!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #393
Maddie2
DIS Veteran

Hello! New reader here! I am really enjoying your TR and reliving our own trip to Disneyland/January 2011. Henry is a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e!!!

I'm not much of a ride girl, but our two teenage boys spur me on to do more than I would otherwise - hence my spin on the Silly Symphony Swings. A mere glance at them made my stomach queasy ... but guess what, I LOVED THEM! In fact, since there wasn't a line when we were there, we rode them 3 times in a row! So, so freeing and just oh, so fabulous. Yes, really!

I read that you are from MN. What part? I am from SD and lived near Mpls for a bit back in the late 80's and also in NYC for a summer (Bayside, Queens and then Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn & worked in Manhattan).

Can't wait to read more! BTW, I had the broccoli cheese soup/breadbowl .... yum!!!
Maddie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #394
SheaBear
Mouseketeer

Hi there! It's been a long time since I've commented on one of your TRs but when you started talking about the ferris wheel I started laughing. I had one of the worst experiences on the ferris wheel.

I am horribly afraid of ferris wheels, but I figured I was in Disneyland for my first time ever (2004) with some of my best friends for a Senior Trip and when was that chance going to come again. So they convinced me to get on and they did a wonderful job of keeping me occupied from looking at the ferris wheel. They said things like " don't look at it, you'll only scare yourself" Now I tell you that I didn't look at it at all. We load a car and we start going around and the car starts moving.... yup they put me on one of the moving cars. That thing rocked back and forth so much I thought I was about to lose my life. It was terrifying. Here I am a 18 yr old girl screaming like a 5 year old that just saw the boogyman. NEVER AGAIN WILL I STEP ONTO A FERRIS WHEEL BECAUSE OF DISNEY!

Also I have been reading your trip report and I have read all about you guys taking your cruise.... I just realized however that you are on the cruise right before us. You will be heading off the ship as I get ready to board. I have never been so excited to cruise as this one cause I don't have to take a plane to FL. Yahooo for NYC!

WDW: 30+ trips
DLR: April 2004
DCL: Bahamas June 2002 . Eastern Caribbean July 2004 . Western Caribbean May 2005 . Southern Caribbean Sept 2006 .
Bahamas June 2010 . Canada June 2012 . Cruise to Nowhere June 2012 . Bahamas June 2013. Alaska June 2014

Next Up: WDW-DVC CRUISE-WDW Aug/Sept 2015 & WDW Oct 2015
SheaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #395
MEK
DIS Veteran

Great update!

I am really enjoying all the pictures. The lay-out of the park is very interesting. The views from the ferris wheel are amazing. I'm so glad you didn't chicken out.

Your lunch looks yummy and what a great idea - snacks in a box. I love that.

Henry is so cute in all his pics!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #396
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkeim View Post
Thanks for posting the picture of the Alamo facility in DTD! I just changed our car rental to Alamo - it will be so convenient to get on our way to San Diego. You are really helping me plan for our trip in October!
Your welcome! I figured that might be useful info for everyone! It is right across from the Disneyland Hotel, and also very close to Paradise Pier, on the edge of DTD - you will find it with no problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey30 View Post
I guess I had better Suck it up as well as I am sure my oldest will want to go on the ferris wheel. I am like many here, heights... no way Jose!!LOL
I'm a bit surprised there are so many of us that don't like the ferris wheel! It isn't too bad though, it goes very slowly. Those fast ones are the worst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Well, I am ever so slooooowly working my way through your TR which I somehow got really far behind on. I am loving it! It is so cool to notice all the things that are different between the parks. I always wonder why some parks have certain rides and others do not. Especially why WDW doesn't have most of what the other parks have, especially given the size of WDW.

Your pictures are amazing as always and Henry is too cute! Glad to know that Max isn't the only preschooler who is afraid of things like the dark. Our last trip, Max developed a fear of birds. What???

I will be reading more!
I started out slowly posting, but now that I'm caught up on the DIS, I've been posting more! Plus, I have my cruise coming up, I gotta get moving on this! LOL

That is a good question about why WDW doesn't have the same rides...it all boils down to bucks I assume. Of course, when they clone rides it's cheaper, but even still... I would love to see a few things from DL make it over though!

Oy! A fear of birds at WDW! They are, of course, EVERYWHERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie2 View Post
Hello! New reader here! I am really enjoying your TR and reliving our own trip to Disneyland/January 2011. Henry is a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e!!!

I'm not much of a ride girl, but our two teenage boys spur me on to do more than I would otherwise - hence my spin on the Silly Symphony Swings. A mere glance at them made my stomach queasy ... but guess what, I LOVED THEM! In fact, since there wasn't a line when we were there, we rode them 3 times in a row! So, so freeing and just oh, so fabulous. Yes, really!

I read that you are from MN. What part? I am from SD and lived near Mpls for a bit back in the late 80's and also in NYC for a summer (Bayside, Queens and then Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn & worked in Manhattan).

Can't wait to read more! BTW, I had the broccoli cheese soup/breadbowl .... yum!!!
:: Thank you for reading and your sweet words about Henry!

Oh wow! Good job on the swings! I could see myself sucking it up maybe when Henry is older and wants to do them. Maybe. But I still think I'd be a-freakin' throughout the ride! They really terrify me...!

Yep! I am from Chicago originally, but grew up more in Minnesota - southeastern near Rochester. Then moved to Central MN-St. Cloud area. We now live in Astoria! I used to live in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn before I was married though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaBear View Post
Hi there! It's been a long time since I've commented on one of your TRs but when you started talking about the ferris wheel I started laughing. I had one of the worst experiences on the ferris wheel.

I am horribly afraid of ferris wheels, but I figured I was in Disneyland for my first time ever (2004) with some of my best friends for a Senior Trip and when was that chance going to come again. So they convinced me to get on and they did a wonderful job of keeping me occupied from looking at the ferris wheel. They said things like " don't look at it, you'll only scare yourself" Now I tell you that I didn't look at it at all. We load a car and we start going around and the car starts moving.... yup they put me on one of the moving cars. That thing rocked back and forth so much I thought I was about to lose my life. It was terrifying. Here I am a 18 yr old girl screaming like a 5 year old that just saw the boogyman. NEVER AGAIN WILL I STEP ONTO A FERRIS WHEEL BECAUSE OF DISNEY!

Also I have been reading your trip report and I have read all about you guys taking your cruise.... I just realized however that you are on the cruise right before us. You will be heading off the ship as I get ready to board. I have never been so excited to cruise as this one cause I don't have to take a plane to FL. Yahooo for NYC!
Oh my gosh!!!!!!! That is AWFUL about the swinging bucket!!!! I completely understand and would have been doing the same.exact.thing! I bet you practically kissed the ground when you got off!

That's fantastic about you being on the cruise right after us!!! I'll be sure to leave some pixie dust for you! We are SO excited about not having to fly too, it will be wonderful just hopping in a cab after we get off and being home within 30 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Great update!

I am really enjoying all the pictures. The lay-out of the park is very interesting. The views from the ferris wheel are amazing. I'm so glad you didn't chicken out.

Your lunch looks yummy and what a great idea - snacks in a box. I love that.

Henry is so cute in all his pics!
The layout of DCA is a bit wacky-it's kinda like DHS and makes little sense, but sorta flows. DHS is harder though. Even when DCA has it's "main street" it won't flow like the Magic Kingdom or anything. The Paradise Pier area though is really pretty. Wait until you see A Bugs Land, it's so cute.

Henry was in a posing mood on this trip for the most part, it was fun!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #397
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Loved the update!! That snack box is perfect!! Yay, for Henry!
I am right there with you on that Ferris Wheel. I go on it, but merely for the photo ops.And I refuse the moving cages. I think I would . I am not a great fan of heights. But I do love the photos I can get from up there. Glad you got the blue fastpass section for World of Color. I spent a lot of time here on the Dis trying to figure out just the right spot to stand. Ended up, the day we went for the show, we were tired in the evening and just relaxed with a meal near the rope and were in first. We had a nice view from the center of the first area that is a step up from the front-along the gates with noone in front of us because there is a section of bushes below and in front of the gates. (out of the spray zone so we didn't get wet)
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #398
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerrn2 View Post
Loved the update!! That snack box is perfect!! Yay, for Henry!
I am right there with you on that Ferris Wheel. I go on it, but merely for the photo ops.And I refuse the moving cages. I think I would . I am not a great fan of heights. But I do love the photos I can get from up there. Glad you got the blue fastpass section for World of Color. I spent a lot of time here on the Dis trying to figure out just the right spot to stand. Ended up, the day we went for the show, we were tired in the evening and just relaxed with a meal near the rope and were in first. We had a nice view from the center of the first area that is a step up from the front-along the gates with noone in front of us because there is a section of bushes below and in front of the gates. (out of the spray zone so we didn't get wet)
It just figured Henry got exactly what he wanted, doesn't it?

The photos really are beautiful from the ferris wheel, I agree! I was happy those distracted me and that the whole thing was very slow moving. I remember them flying around when I was younger! Frea-KY!

I spent a lot of time trying to get a certain section too, with Joe's poor eyesight I wanted the BEST for him, which was supposed to be red, but that was completely under construction while we were there ...so we just went with whatever we got! You'll see where we ended up...I have no idea what section it even was!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #399
ImarriedGrumpy
AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy
artsfan married booksandcats!
Loves Target so much she has a planned "path" she follows

Your trip report is a lot of fun to read! I really enjoy seeing it from a WDW regular's view point. I'd always done WDW, too, until I moved out here, and I've fallen in love with DLR now that I've got a 4 yr old. DLR with a 14m old was so easy - I could just dash back to our hotel for a change of clothes and catch up with our friends in 30 minutes, sometimes even before they finished one ride! I can't wait to take DS4 to WDW when he's older, but for now I'm very happy with DLR for my Disney fix!

Oh, and my son has loved looking at the pictures and has decided that Henry is his friend. He's a social little guy, and once he heard that Henry is close to his age and these pictures were at Disneyland, he asked me when he would get to go to DLR with Henry. So now he's asking me if "my friend Henry" will be at Disneyland the next time we go. What a nut!

Delighted to be married to a Grumpy! Me DH DS (6) Beatrice Rosalind Alton
ImarriedGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #400
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImarriedGrumpy View Post
Your trip report is a lot of fun to read! I really enjoy seeing it from a WDW regular's view point. I'd always done WDW, too, until I moved out here, and I've fallen in love with DLR now that I've got a 4 yr old. DLR with a 14m old was so easy - I could just dash back to our hotel for a change of clothes and catch up with our friends in 30 minutes, sometimes even before they finished one ride! I can't wait to take DS4 to WDW when he's older, but for now I'm very happy with DLR for my Disney fix!

Oh, and my son has loved looking at the pictures and has decided that Henry is his friend. He's a social little guy, and once he heard that Henry is close to his age and these pictures were at Disneyland, he asked me when he would get to go to DLR with Henry. So now he's asking me if "my friend Henry" will be at Disneyland the next time we go. What a nut!
I would LOVE to live near DLR! I was a bit jealous of all the local Mom's there with their toddlers. Of course, we have Manhattan, which is a bit like Disneyland in ways but....

That is so cute about your DS!!!!! I LOVE it! We'll have to meet up next time we go!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #401
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Two Words: Chicken Nuggets

When I left off we had just finished our lunch and were on our way to the Hollywood Backlot section of the park. We hadn't planned it this way, but just started walking to see what we'd see...

I kind of wanted to do this, but knew Henry would likely be bored out of his mind!

Cars Land walls!

Bypassing a bug's land (we will be back later!)

This is near the Blue Sky Cellar

Guess who was hanging out?

Hugging Mater

At the small gift stand

Continuing on our way--LOTS of walls!

This ENTIRE area was all walls! Since I have no sense of direction, I didn't realize we were back toward the front of the park - this will be part of Buena Vista Street and behind this section will be the statue of the young Walt!

This really will be SPECTACULAR when it's done!!! I cannot wait to see the finished product with the trolley cars and Carthay Circle and everything...!

We followed the walls a bit further and were soon here

The Hollywood Pictures Backlot - looks a bit Hollywood Studios-esque, right?

We thought about going here because Henry loves it, but the timing wasn't right.

We really enjoyed the theming here, just like we do at DHS!

All of the structures for lights and things were for ElecTRONica

A nightly dance party with a live DJ - which is either now, or will be changing soon, to "Mad T Party", Tim Burton inspired Alice in Wonderland themed party.

Joe and Henry both love Tron, so they were excited to see all the stuff!

Love the detail

As we were walking we saw...

Continued in next post

Last edited by brookelizabeth; 05-12-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #402
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Continued from previous post

JAKE! Henry was thrilled!!!!

Once again, no line, no handler!

Love.

The Animation Academy, Turtle Talk with Crush, and a couple other things are in this building.

We were about to go in for Turtle Talk, but I heard something starting down the street - something very fun...so we scurried in that direction...

Look what we found!

Pixar Pals, featuring Monster's Inc.

We easily found a spot on the curb and enjoyed this show! It was really fun! Lots of audience participation and monster humor.

When this guy came close Henry asked right away if he had the sock on him.

Question answered!

The videos will give you an idea of the plot--which is basically a loose plot of the movie and Monsters Inc: Laugh Floor combined:
Monster Mayhem Part One (43 seconds)
Monster Mayhem Part Two (1 min 9 sec)
Monster Mayhem Part Three (1 min 59 sec)
Monster Mayhem Part Four (1 min 37 sec)

After we helped save Monsteropolis, we walked back to the Animation Academy building and went inside. Inside is a big open space and smaller rooms off to the sides with the various attractions. In the big open space there are screens showing various things.

The Turtle Talk show was running, and it was a good 15 minutes or so until the next show, so we were about to skip it, but then I remembered the Toy Story Zoetrope was in here and I had REALLY wanted to see it!

We found it with no problem in one of the rooms off to the side.

This thing is seriously AWESOME.

Video: Toy Story Zoetrope (1 min 53 sec)

My video is not great, but here is a better one: Zoetrope (start at 1:15)

Soooo cool! We were all in awe!

By the time we pulled ourselves away from it, Turtle Talk had cycled and we missed the show again! We just decided to keep movin' instead of waiting again.

Directly to the right is

Look at all the crowds! LOL

Continued in next post

Last edited by brookelizabeth; 05-12-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #403
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Continued from previous post

We noticed people lining up for Aladdin, and I had heard this was a good show, so we decided to join the crowd!

When you purchase a package, Disneyland Resort hotel and tickets, you get priority seating to this show, but since we were on a speciality Travel Agent package, we did not receive this perk; however, since Joe has low-eye sight were were allowed into the priority section for a closer seat.

Waiting

I think half the guests were here!

We waited for about 15 minutes and then were let into the theater

It's BIG!

Within a few minutes the show started....and let me tell you...when you go to Disneyland DON'T MISS IT!!!!!!!!!!!! It was AWESOME!!!!!!! A definite highlight of the trip, I took so many pictures with our camera and my phone, that my phone ran out of space on it!

All the actors are excellent, but the Genie truly stands out. He's hilarious! His jokes are very current, talking about pop culture references, iPhones and more. He even had a joke about Iago being a "Tiki Room Reject" and this was just after the one in Walt Disney World had been redone! He had jokes about other Disney movies "I'm going to go find Nemo!" and more.

And...Henry's FAVORITE part is when the Genie was booting out Iago and he said to him, "Two words: Chicken. Nuggets." Henry ROARED with laughter and still, to this day, says it almost daily. And we have to act it out, he's the Genie, I'm Iago. Ha!

I was also really impressed with the Flying Blankie. (carpet for those of you who haven't read my previous TRs!) She had no words, obviously, but really knew how to express herself!

This show has been so popular at Disneyland, it now shows on Disney Cruise Line's newest ship, the Disney Fantasy! I wonder if the Genie from DCA is now on the ship? It has also been hinted that the show DCA will be replaced with Toy Story, but we'll see.

Okay, enough blabbering about this excellent show, here are some pictures!

When they find out the "riff-raff" with Aladdin is Jasmine

Don't do it!

Aladdin rides in on an elephant!

And a couple videos:
Friend Like Me (1 min 14 sec)
Aladdin on an elephant (9 seconds--and my phone was full!)

Seriously awesome.

Up next: Time for school.

And I forgot to post these previously-from The Little Mermaid!
Video: Under the Sea (54 seconds)
Video: Kiss the Girl/Wedding Scene (57 seconds)

Last edited by brookelizabeth; 05-12-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #404
Pinkgirl
DIS Veteran

Wow brill update (as usual). I am NO fan of ferris wheels the park seems really big - is it larger than DHS? Lookiong forward to more - especially as I have never heard of World of Colour(?)
Old 05-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #405
MotoWifey185
.:dirt bikes to doom buggies:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Glad my room tour helped! If it were my honeymoon I would likely choose either the Disneyland Hotel because it's refurb is breathtaking, OR the Grand Californian because it is the most awe-inspiring due to it's size...and being IN the park is pretty stinkin' cool.

We took SO many pictures this trip! I couldn't believe it when we got back! But, I'm really glad we did, it helps me remember what we did since I am not the best note taker!
Yeah we're thinking we'll probably do a split stay. First night or two at the GCH and the rest at the PPH. I can't help it, I just LOVE the look of the PPH and being able to easily afford a park view makes it that much better!!

Yeah I am not the best note taker either, I have a TR going but it's easy to remember because it was just one day at the parks, a quick fix before we wait out the loooonnnnng four months until we're back again. ....Hey, that's a long time for us! We used to go at least once a month!

GREAT update too! I will definitely have to see Aladdin next time, love that Henry thought "chicken. nuggets" was so funny. How cute! The construction was confusing to us last time too. We didn't make it over to the Hollywood section of the park at all because it was temporarily blocked when we were near there. Reading this gets me so amped up for the honeymoon. I miss it so much!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: