Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #211
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueenemj22 View Post
I just caught up on this TR and read your last one which was very interesting. So, I'm joining in for this one too! Can't wait to read more about your trip.
:: Thanks for reading along here too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2apirate&princess View Post
I'm so glad you are doing a DL report!
I can't wait to share it all! I am missing Disney terribly these days, so hopefully this will be a good 'fix'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Glad the map helped Brook!

LOVE all the palm trees and the pics of Henry jumping on the bed are awesome!!
It helped a TON, I use it all the time too for everything! We were pretty happy with our Standard view of all those beautiful palm trees - and from living in NYC, busy roads don't phase us a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Love this pic! You can tell how excited Henry is with his little pointy finger
He was soooo excited, me too!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flg8tr97 View Post

Love the update Brook!!

WL on Steroids!! but WOW does the GC look beautiful!! We plan on going out to Hawaii with the boys in a few years and plan to make a 2 day pit top at DL and I so want to stay there. The location can't be beat!

bummer about the turnstile... seriously!

I have never been to DL but wow does it look so "little" But I can't wait to go out and visit it!

as usual, your report is fabulous! I feel like I am there with you!
LOVE your Hawaii plans! It will be a perfect layover!

It is a much more compact resort overall, but that can be a big benefit in some ways! It's quaint, but magical.

I really tried to make it feel like you guys would be right with us when we were taking pictures - that was my goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
I am loving your trip report! Makes me miss Disneyland, it's been far too long since I've been to DL.
I reallyyyyyy want to get back there too! I have to stalk the airfare a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Well, since I missed the last update to your DW TR, I'm not surprised I had no idea this was going on.

Mark has landed safely in Vegas and I have six days to myself. I'll come back later to catch up.
Eeek! Sorry about that Kathy! Glad to have you here now though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post
I know I am almost a month late, but I am finally here. I need to go back and read.
:: You haven't missed much, so don't worry!!!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #212
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographymom517 View Post
Oh Brook!!! How on earth did I miss this report?!

I just realized a few days ago that you started a DL report & just now had the time to read it!

I stayed up last night with the intention of getting to your report, but I ended up catching up on Jen's Universal one until 2am! (Figured I better catch up on hers before she leaves in 3 days! )

Going back to read now!!!
You are a busy Momma, no worries! I have SO many reports to catch up on, I was doing pretty good, but March killed that again. One of April's short term goals is to catch up again. Think I can do it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
Still here and impatiently waiting for teh next installment
I will be working on it, starting....NOW! (Henry should be waking up soon though, so it likely won't be posted until tonight/tomorrow!)
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #213
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Second Breakfast Time!

We left off with attempting to get a Child Switch for Space Mountain, but finding out the system works a bit differently and we should just get one right before we were going to ride. So we next went toward

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

I was really looking forward to seeing this, since I have read so much about the old 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride that used to be at WDW, the subs, and people getting very excited about Disney re-using these for this new Nemo attraction. We hopped into line, and this was probably one of the longest we had all day. This is a slow loading ride.

Henry was pretty excited. At first.

Then he saw the subs go underwater and got nervous. He had a million questions about it all as we slowly made our way through the queue.

Eventually it was our turn, our little man was nervous, but willing to try it.

Down the tight little spiral staircase we went!

We were seated right near the staircase - it's not too big in there! You sit on hard metal benches and my knees were right up agains the wall. I am tall, but even still, it's a tight fit!

The sub driver is in the middle standing.

Henry was a bit nervous - and remained so throughout the ride. Because of his nerves, he had a TON of questions about everything. It's a pretty long ride and between Henry being nervous and talking to me the entire time, me trying to be excited about it for him in hopes he'd just relax and enjoy it, and then me being uncomfortable with the limited space, I was just ready to be done with it by the time we were halfway through. I feel like I pretty much missed out on the experience of it all. While it was a neat ride, I don't think I'd be disappointed to skip it next time! And of course, at the end of the ride we just sat there for a good 5 minutes - not moving. I imagine they were loading the sub in front of us, but Henry was really NOT enjoying being stuck there underwater!! We were all ready to get off when we finally could!!! Here are some pictures throughout our journey.

It's all very pretty!

Henry did get a bit excited when we started to see the familiar characters from Finding Nemo!

The rest of my pictures, of the actual Nemo parts, didn't come out!

Back on mainland, one last look at the subs - it is pretty impressive that they are ACTUAL submarines!

By this time our stomachs were growling. It was definitely time for the famous Wozniak Second Breakfast.

I LOVE breakfast. And on vacation, I almost always have two! (In real life I try to behave....*try*)

Let's head this way, back through Tomorrowland.

A quick stop to meet a Storm Trooper!

There were two, and they made Henry NERVOUS! He wanted to see them, he is obsessed with Star Wars, but was scared about those big guns! He almost decided not to meet them, but I'm glad he was brave! It was a fun meet! And this was when I noticed the non-line/no-character handler. People just sorta mass around the characters and casually take turns for pictures. No one cut in line, everyone behaved. There was NO character handler anywhere to be seen! And this was pretty normal for the rest of the trip! Only a few characters had an official line or handler. Only one time did we have a problem with a family cutting in line. At Disneyland the characters, by themselves, just walk around too! It's kinda neat! This might not be the case when it's busier, but during the off-season I enjoyed how this brought the feeling of them living there instead of it feeling like they worked there. Does that make sense?

Anyway! After the meet & greet with the Storm Trooper I ran up the big ramp again in front of Space Mountain again grabbed a FastPass. No clue why we didn't do this when catting with the CM about the Child Switch! Newbie mistake I suppose.

Continued in next post

Last edited by brookelizabeth; 03-30-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #214
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Continued from previous post

And now, finally! it was time for that second breakfast! Where to?

The Jolly Holiday of course!!

This little cafe opened only a few weeks before our trip! I was very excited to see all the little details in person. I know LL is likely busy with her new baby and not on the DIS, but I thought of her the whole time we were there!

Love the Mary Poppins on the weather vane!

Outdoor seating

And this one made me think of Pat. Here too!

We chose to eat outside!

Henry's choice. Yes, that is CHOCOLATE rice krispies with pieces of Fruit Loops in it, half dipped in a sugary coating. Toothache much?!

Joe's choice

Mine! I love me a WDW chocolate croissant, so I had to try the DLR version!

Well, while the cafe itself is practically perfect in every way, the food was just okay. Perhaps it is what we chose, while it filled the spot, none of our selections were memorable in any way. I would eat here again because of the excellent location, the nice outdoor seating, and it's just stinkin' cute - but I would expand my horizons to different choices in hopes of better eats.

Next up: Cute Bathrooms and a Giant Whale

Last edited by brookelizabeth; 03-30-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #215
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

I wouldn't be able to get my family in that sub! John would freak,as he's wayyyy claustrophobic! and Kadence hates to e sealed up like that, plus if it was dark for-get -it!

We saw Darth Vader and a few Storm Troopers a few weeks ago at a hockey game and Kadence wouldn't go near them! Too big and scary!

2nd breakfast, love it!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #216
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Oh that made me nostalgic for 20,000 leagues, I loved that ride! I will definitely be going on Nemo next time we make it to CA, not that I have a clue when that will be. Although I imagine I'll fit a lot "differently" into that sub than I did at 14 or in college.

I heard on a podcast recently that Jollly Holiday seems to vary by time of day, if you go during the busy time, food is fresher and thus better? though with the pastries not sure it would matter. It is absolutely adorable.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #217
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Umm, I can see why Henry was a bit nervous about getting on the submarine. While I'm not claustrophobic, it looks like a pretty tight squeeze and I'm not sure I'd like sitting there for long.

Too bad the second breakfast wasn't as good as you expected but the setting was beautiful.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #218
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

My family visited Disneyland when I was about 4 1/2. 20,000 Leagues is about the only thing I remember. I think I liked it, but was probably a little claustrophobic too.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #219
dekkerdisneydreamer
Raising Disneyholics one at a time!

I'm sorry the Nemo ride wasn't a success. I remember the original version, and also when they took it "out." They just had open water. I think they were trying to figure out what to do with it. Luckily Nemo came along!

Mmm, second breakfast!! The choices looked delicious, too bad they weren't as good as they looked. I do love all the details. How big is it inside? I'm trying to place what it used to be....

I haven't convinced my cousin yet. She's worried that we won't be able to do anything with Madelyn. I am definitely trying hard to convice her of the contrary.....

dekkerdisneydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #220
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Awe.. you are making me want to go to DL!!! So much has changed. Isn't it interesting though how things can be different from WDW though, like the lines.. who would think that the sort of "free for all" that takes place in DL would work...but I don't remember every having an issue. I think you are right about making it feel as though they live there though... very good point.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #221
MEK
DIS Veteran

What a cute little restaurant. You're right - LL would LOVE that!

I have never seen the inside of one of those subs before - YIKES! That does look a little....I mean A LOT claustrophobic. Can you imagine getting stuck in one of those *shudder*

Henry is looking tall these days!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #222
ImarriedGrumpy
AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy
artsfan married booksandcats!
Loves Target so much she has a planned "path" she follows

DS4 loved the Nemo subs for the first 4 times we rode them on our last trip (he's obsessed with all things ocean/sea creatures), but on the 5th time he noticed that another child didn't like it and asked me why she was scared. Silly me, I told him, and from then on he didn't like it! I like it, but I agree it's a long time in a small space.

One of my favorite DLR tips is that you can go to the wheelchair entrance for the Nemo Subs and ask for the non-submarine version of the ride, and they take you into a room with a few chairs and you get to be at "mission control" and then you watch what is basically a short movie of what you'd see if you were on the subs looking out the portholes. We've done that with a friend who couldn't get down the stairs of the sub, and another time with a young kid who was nervous about going in the subs. It's a wonderful place to take a short break from the crowds!

Love the photos from Jolly Holiday! I'm looking forward to trying it on our next trip. Honestly, I don't expect as much from the food at DLR as I do at WDW. One of the lessons we've learned is that because of how the tunnels and kitchens at DL are set up, the food is better the closer you are to Blue Bayou and Club 33. I can't remember which of the many Disneyland books I've read talked about that, but we've found that to be mostly true with a few exceptions.

Delighted to be married to a Grumpy! Me DH DS (6) Beatrice Rosalind Alton
ImarriedGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #223
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

I agree about the Nemo ride being cramped. I remember being freaked on the old 2000 L back in '75 as a high school senior, but I still went on the Nemo to see what they did with it - just like you, once was enough!

I remember the characters "roamed free" in the MK back in the '70s. I guess WDW has more east coast aggression and in DL everyone has CA chill?

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 33/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #224
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

I love the update! I remember riding the subs at WDW so many years ago I do remember being a bit scared when I was younger, but grew to love that 20,000 Leagues ride Thanks for letting me see inside those subs again!
The Jolly Holiday bakery looks so charming! It reminds me of the Plaza restaurant and ice cream area on Main Street
You said that the child swap was different at DL. What do they do differently there?
I remember the free roaming characters at WDW too. The folks back in the day werent quite as nice and orderly as they are at DL!! People were always shoving their kids up to the characters when we were trying to get a picture. We always had lots of random people in our pictures from the early years
Cant wait to read more!
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #225
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Oh, how fun that you rode Nemo! Sorry Henry was so nervous the whole time! I remember being a little nervous when I was little on the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea version -- especially when the giant squid appeared! Then, as I got older, it ended up being one of my favorites!

Adorable picture of Henry with the Stormtrooper!

In love with the Jolly Holiday decor -- so cute with all the Mary Poppins stuff!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: