Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #151
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
We have panhandlers in Seattle too.. they don't seem to bother me. Maybe just the idea of being in an already unfamiliar place... I don't know..

And... I can't wait to see pics of the other two hotels.
I'm with ya, and when there are a ton of them in one area, it does give a sketchy vibe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImarriedGrumpy View Post
We've stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn & Suites (literally at the crosswalk on Harbor Blvd to the entrance plaza) and at Camelot Inn. I like being as close as possible, especially when DS was still napping. We're only in the room to sleep, so as long as it's clean I'm okay with it. BWPPI has been doing some minor upgrades to the rooms, so they're nice. Not out of this world awesome or anything, but a good value. Since they're Good Neighbor hotels, we still get some of the Disney perks, and I love having that. Someday I'd love to stay in the Grand Californian villas, especially since the only way DH says he'll go to DLR with us is if he can stay somewhere with a kitchen. It's not a vacation for him unless he gets to cook. It's not a vacation for me unless I DON'T cook!

LOL...you did order off the "secret" menu! I can't remember what they call it off the top of my head (DH would know...), but a plain burger is on the list.

And my latest trick for long flights is to wrap a bunch of stuff up in fun paper, and let DS open something every x number of minutes. (I think it was every 15 min on our last trip.) Fruit snacks, granola bars, books, crayons, matchbox cars, even a stack of post-it notes. Anything and everything I can get my hands on. DH thinks I'm crazy. DS loves it. He does roll his eyes at me when he opens a familiar book or toy, but he likes guessing and trying to figure out what everything is.
Your DH LIKES to cook on vacation?! I'm with you! Avoid the cooking!

I love that the Good Neighbor hotels also include the perks, its' such a great options and truly makes Disneyland more affordable.

That is awesome about ordering of the secret menu, !!! I will definitly have to take a look at that next time we go to California though. Just last night Joe mentioned "flying out for a burger"

We have done that EXACT thing with Henry on the flights! Lots of random Dollar Store toys and junk. It takes them time to open the "gift" and then they want to play with it. Works like a charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
We stayed at the HoJos for our trip in '08. I would highly recommend it, and you can get great rates if you plan in advance.
The HOJO has an AWESOME little water park! It looks just fantastic! We will try there sometime I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfinjuls View Post
Thanks for the look into a DL hotel! I always love the tradition of Henry jumping on the beds! So cute!
Your welcome! I was so fortunate to see all three hotels in one week!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #152
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Lucky Number 13

It was 5:30 AM, Henry was awake, up bright and cheery!

Joe quickly followed suit and even though I hadnít slept much, I was excited, so I had energy and we were up and at Ďem! I made the in-room coffee - MUCH better than Walt Disney Worldís! It was actually drinkable! But we did have an issue with the pot:

1 full cup, 1 half cup.

Joe didn't mind, he would just wait to get some coffee outside of the room (and by that time I would want my next cup too!), so I just drank them both!

We slowly got ready for the day, I had some work to do and the boys enjoyed cartoons while we discussed our plans for the day. We were focusing on Disneyland today, but I wanted to scurry over to DCA and get a FP for WoC in the morning sometime, then back to Disneyland.

As I was getting ready, I noticed how cute the hardware on the dresser was and had to take a picture.

Nope, didn't read it!

Every 15 minutes or so I would glance out the window to see the sky get lighter and lighter. I LOVED all the palm trees right outside along the road!

That is how far both windows open.

at 7:30 AM we left the room and headed for Disneyland!

Adorable hallway carpet

Room number

In the elevator

The "back hall" of Paradise Pier. The elevators are up head, kinda where that guy is, on the left. There is a TV viewing area for kids on the left too, the arcade is to my immediate left, to the right is a vending machine area and some phones.

If you turn around,

you go out the "back door" of Paradise Pier. It's also to the parking ramp. Using the back door is the recommended way to get to Disneyland. I'll have video and more pictures as we go too!

Iíll explain the layout of the area for those of you who have never been there.

Imagine a big rectangle. On the left, bottom corner of the rectangle is Paradise Pier. The top left corner is the Disneyland Hotel. We walked toward the Disneyland Hotel, then we turned right - into the rectangle - which is Downtown Disney. So you walk thru DTD, then the top right corner of the rectangle is Disneyland theme park, the bottom right is California Adventure.

The Grand Californian Resort is just off DTD, so itís in the middle of the bottom line of the rectangle.

Does that make sense? So to get to/from the Disney hotels, you need to walk through DTD.

Smart marketing there Disney!

Most offsite hotels are on the OTHER side, the "right" side of the rectangle, so you donít walk through DTD, you just walk into another gate and into the area between the two theme parks (Central Plaza).

Here is a great map my fellow TA Cass turned me onto which helped greatly in me getting a feel for the place before we arrived: http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=33.806...20pier%20hotel

So back to regular programming...

We walked out the back door

and turned right down this path.

It smelled like clean laundry and had Birds of Paradise along it.

Note: NO STROLLER! We did it. Our first trip without a stroller! I'm not sure we will brave it in WDW without one, but Henry did awesome without it at Disneyland! Only once, our last night, did I wish we had it.

We ended up turning right at the end of the path up there. We should have gone left. So, we were soon in front of Paradise Pier and crossing the road to the Grand Californian.

Entrance gates into the Resort parking area, GC right across the street!

Crossing the street. LOVE the palm trees! It is a busy road, but there are crosswalks. Those dudes just decided not to use 'em!

There is a guard who stands up at the gate on the right, it leads to their underground valet parking. EVERY time you walk by he greets you.

A look back to Paradise Pier!

Well, we knew we were supposed to be in DTD instead of at the GC, but all well, we are at the GC, let's check it out!

Continued in next post

Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #153
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Continued from previous post

The main doors look like giant stained glass windows. Incredible!

And they open to reveal this. The Wilderness Lodge on steroids.

Henry found the kids TV in seconds flat.

And check out that marble flooring. Similar to what you find at the GF now too!

The marble flooring design carries seamlessly into the custom carpet.

Looking into the Conference Center

And from there we went out a set of doors into an outside hallway

Are we on 5th Avenue? SO pretty!

This is the entrance to Downtown Disney via the Grand Californian. Not only does the GC have an entrance to DCA, but it's own to DTD too!

Ah-ha! Here we are! Downtown Disney.

Kind of a similar feel as the Marketplace end of WDW's DTD.

Looking backward - then we realized we needed to walk past the Disneyland Hotel (square building in the back with all the windows) from Paradise Pier to get here. Though, our method gave us the sneak peek of the Grand anyway, so we didn't care!

We pretty much had DTD to ourselves!

Continued in next post
Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #154
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

We spotted Hagaan Daaz and Peet's Coffee inside, so that was our first stop.

Anyone surprised?

Anyone???

Walking forward we headed for the Disneyland gates.

Entering Central Plaza

On your right is

Disney's California Adventure

On your left is

Disneyland!

Straight ahead is the gate to Harbor Blvd, where many off-site hotels are.

We went left of course, and the gates

Still closed!

Being on east coast time on the west coast rocks!

There was one other family there, already in slot 13, which is the fastest gate (why? I donít know, but it IS!!) - so we chose 12 and waited.

Magic Mornings were to start at 9 AM and it was 8:30.

Oh, thatís another difference. Magic Mornings. Itís sorta like Extra Magic Hours, it's 1 hour prior to the normal park opening time, and offered on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. It is only if you purchase a 3 Day Park Hopper Ticket, you get 1 Magic Morning.

Henry scoped out the map to tell us where to go.

Look at that. Brook is at Rope Drop!

Eventually the gates were unlocked, the countdown done (just a couple families selected to countdown-nothing like MKs!)

Video: Countdown (1 minute, 13 seconds)

and Henry would be the first one to turn the turnstile except....

OURS DIDNíT WORK!

It was hilarious! The ONE time we are at the gates that early and it doesnít work! Of course those in Lucky Number 13 entered in FIRST. No problem over there! That was supposed to me ussssssssss!

People flowed in all around us and we were stuck!

Eventually they got it and we joined the crowds!

Train Station

I LOVE the big trees!

Similar feel, right? The buildings are all just a smaller scale.

Continued in next post
Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #155
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Looking down Main Street USA!

The dramatized version of our first glimpse of the Castle.

There she is! Sleeping Beauty Castle (and giant green refurb walls! They don't do the scrims like WDW it seemed...!)

Looking back at the Train Station

The little side street, just like WDW!

Entering the hub and looking right, you can see a bit of Tomorrowland in the upper left corner there.

Looking left, the Jolly Holiday bakery! (see you soon!)

Looking just to the right of the Castle. The Matterhorn (scaffolding on it), and Tomorrowland on the right.

We got to the rope near the Castle

Surprisingly we were almost right next to it, despite #12 completely failing us. We waited for a while longer...

Tomorrowland is RIGHT there, no entrance really like at WDW.

Henry spotted a bird shaped cloud.

The rope! I couldn't believe I was at a real Rope Drop.

When the rope dropped (and was coiled up and the CM said we could go ), we went straight for Peter Pan.

Straight through the Castle, which is on ground level.

Still decorated with their lights

Out the back side into Fantasyland!

Peter Pan is in the building on the right, almost directly out the backside.

A quick glance left - Snow White's Scary Adventure

Into the line for Peter Pan, which stretched out the building, but it really was about a 2 minute wait.

Continued in next post
Old 03-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #156
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

A glance back out into Fantasyland - Pinocchio's Daring Journey

We all eagerly got on, this was Henryís FAVORITE from February and August.

My oh my what a few months do.

He was scared. Completely and utterly scared of it because it was dark.

And if you know Disney, you know dark rides are a good chunk of the attractions!

Uh-oh. How would this pan out for the trip??

I do have to say, Peter Pan here is even better! It is pretty much the same ride (a few differences), but, it is just brighter and cleaner looking, it's had a refurb since the 70s!

Dumbo was next and we had a great flight!

Water! I'm looking forward to seeing WDW's new Dumbo in Storybook Circus!

Excited to fly!

Views from the sky:

Cute topiary outside of Dumbo

I wanted to hit up Mr. Toadís Wild Ride and Pinocchio's Daring Journey, but Henry wanted nothing to do with those dark rides - and I had read both could be a bit scary anyway (after all, Mr. Toad does go to hell!). Henry wanted Star Tours - so the boys were off to Tomorrowland and I covered the two famous rides.

Now, donít throw tomatoes at me, but I only thought Mr. Toad was okay. It was fine, but nothing to rave about....!

However, I LOVED Pinocchio!

I was in tears by the end of the ride because it was so completely magical. It was so detailed, the music was wonderful, the colors -- everything! Phenomenal and the best dark ride I have ever been on!!!!

Those two down, I moseyed over to Tomorrowland to meet the boys at Star Tours.

Joe took the following pictures when he and Henry went over:

Back through the Castle and hub

That is the Astro Orbiter, right there on the ground. It's too bad it's on the ground, I really enjoy this ride at WDW way up high! I believe Disneyland's also used to be elevated at one point.

Tomorrowland - the tracks are for nothing...there have been plans to use them, but they are just dormant right now.

I hung out in the gift shop for a while while the boys rode. Eventually they were back, Joe reported the ride was all pretty much the same (as expected) and Henry said he was scared a bit...but he still liked it.

Again, wow! A TOTAL change of heart in a few months.

We walked over to Space Mountain (which is up a big ramp to the building) and asked about also getting a Child Switch pass; however, they told us we would have to get one when we were ready to use it....good to know! As our trip went out we found the Child Switch (and Single Rider) worked quite different than at WDW. More on this as we go on!

Next up: Second Breakfast Time!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #157
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Great update! I will get there someday. Way to go making it to rope drop .
Old 03-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #158
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad that you ended up taking the long way to Disneyland because we (and you) got to see the Grand Californian. It does look like the Wilderness Lodge on steroids! So very beautiful!

As I looked through the pictures, I found myself comparing everything to WDW. They look alike yet they don't.

It seems like your day is off to a fantastic start!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #159
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Getting caught up on all my trips!

Whew, 5 hours in a plane! We are flying to San Francisco this summer and I really dread it. Sound like Henry was a trooper!

Love the pictures of PP and especially Henry jumping on the bed!! Too cute.

How odd that rope drop is so different between the parks.

I had no idea DL had a Pinnochio ride. I am already learning a lot from your trip.

I might like Astro Orbitor at DL. The height plus speed makes it one of my least favorites at WDW.

Can't wait to read more!

jeremysdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #160
tinkerbell60
DIS Veteran

I love your comment "The Wilderness Lodge on Steroids" ....

This is really helpful - it has been awhile since I was in Disneyland - and of course there was not DTD or CA then. Really makes we want to go! Paradise Pier looks a lot nicer than I imagined too - so maybe a split stay, because it has always been my dream to stay at the Disneyland Hotel!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #161
MEK
DIS Veteran

Grand Californian Hotel is just lovely. I loved how connected everything is and what a great walk to the parks. I also love are the parks are right across from each other.

The MK is so beautiful. Very similar, yet different as well. Very cool that Star Tours is in the park.

The castle and main street are so magical. I hope I get a chance to visit one of these days.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #162
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Wow Brook! I have been soaking up every word and picture you posted Everything looks like so much fun! All the buildings look so much smaller than the ones at WDW...even the castle looks small. Thanks so much for all those pictures. I love walking through the park with you guys I didnt realize they have Mr. Toads Wild Ride. That was a must do when I was growing up in FL in the '70's. My friends and I loved it then I cant wait to read more
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #163
Lovemy3babes
Is always in need to get herself and her children back to our "Happy Place"!

Oh wow, it's the same but it's different. So neat Brook! I haven't had much interest in Disneyland honestly but your pictures are changing that. Great, great update!!

Just me and my girlÖa very special 13th Birthday trip!
(updated 2/20/14)
Lovemy3babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #164
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

I haven't been to Disneyland since 1988.....everything looks so tiny compared to WDW... BUT, I do remember that everything seemed much more detailed (like Animal Kingdom is) at Disneyland vs Magic Kingdom.

(If you haven't already thought of it) I travel with glow sticks on ribbons for the kids. They get one during the day so when we end up in a dark part of a ride or show they have their little light. It's just enough to light up my face or their seat area and comfort them. I put a caribeaner (sp?) on the ribbon so they can attach it to their belt loop or the stroller between rides

MRYPPNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #165
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Love the pic of you flying on Dumbo!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 20/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: