Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #136
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Yay! You've arrived via airplane and Carzilla. The hotel/resort looks super nice even if it's not Disney owned. At least they added the Disney artwork and Mickey Mouse/Disney touches in the decor.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #137
ImarriedGrumpy
AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy
artsfan married booksandcats!
Loves Target so much she has a planned "path" she follows

I love all the photos of PP! I've done 3 trips to DLR since I moved to CA 8 yrs ago, and never stayed at a Disney owned property. We always stay in a good neighbor hotel just across the street...cheaper, although I miss those magical touches that Disney does so well.

My DS is also 4, and I very much understand being nervous about long plane rides. My family is all in MN, with one DSis in D.C., so every visit to family involves 4+ hours on an airplane, plus all the airport craziness. I was especially worried about the trip to see my sister in DC last June, but DS handled it better than I did!

The "secret" menu at In-n-Out is becoming less of a secret all the time. Just google "in n out secret menu" and you'll get a bunch of websites (including the offical in-n-out website) that list some or all of the options. You can do things like ask them to grill the onions for you, or do a mustard-grilled burger, or get chilis added to a burger (or fries!), have a burger cut in half, extra layers of meat and/or cheese, etc. There's specific names for some of the more popular variations, but honestly they'll do pretty much anything you ask with the ingredients they have. Our favorites are the Animal Style fries and burger, and since DS doesn't like the onions, lettuce and tomato (yet...we're working on him...), we order a burger without all those things and cut in half for him. You can also order a root beer float and a few other quirky drink variations, or get a burger wrapped in a lettuce leaf (no bun) or a grilled cheese (no burger). It's pretty fun, and 90% of the cashiers we've had are very friendly about it. We've had a couple who treat our requests like a major hassle, but I think most people like the "secret" part of the menu.

Can't wait to read more of your report! I don't know when we'll make it back for another trip since our finances have just gotten a little tighter here, but I love to live vicariously through the trip reports here!

Delighted to be married to a Grumpy! Me DH DS (6) Beatrice Rosalind Alton
ImarriedGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #139
CreightonsMomma
Mouseketeer

The room decor is pretty neat. But $65 for the beach ball pillows??!!! Yikes!!

Love the video of you and Henry jumping and playing around. Creighton started jumping on the couch with you guys.

2011 - March 13th-18th - AKL (Creighton's first trip) Pics ~ June 4th - Day Trip - SWW ~July 9th-11th - Offsite : Oct 12th-15th POP
2012: Feb 28th-Mar 2nd - ASMu
~ May 23rd-25th - SSR
CreightonsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #140
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
We used Super Shuttle out of Long Beach, so if anyone (your clients or other readers) is looking for a shuttle, that one was great. I would really recommend it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Ahhh, that's it!!! PAT, check into the Super Shuttle! I am 99% sure it's cheaper than the Disneyland Shuttle.
Thanks. I have taken Super Shuttle in Texas I think and it was great. I will look into it.

Yes a little bit cheaper. That will be my chariot. Thanks Ladies, I Love the DIS. $10 & $15 compared to $17 &$22.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back

Last edited by Poolrat; 03-05-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #141
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I love that video....You guys are having a ball. And I love how Joe has the monkey in the frame and it looks like he is really watching it all going on.
Your hair has grown a lot since last summer. I want to grow mine back out already and it seems to be at a complete standstill.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #142
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Love, love, love the jumping on the bed ritual. So cute!

Also love the rooms. I'm a "beach person" so it looks perfect to me. In fact my first thought was how cute one of those beach ball pillows would look in my guest room... until you mentioned it was $65!

The Mickey lifeguard lamp is very similar - just slightly different colors- than the one in the Beach Club hotel rooms (not villas). I will have to take a look on ebay to see if there are any out there....

Looking forward to your first day in the parks!!

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #143
elphie101
Left my heart in Tomorrowland

That room looks wonderful! I so so badly would like to stay onsite at DL, and I would probably try Paradise Pier first, but given the cost and the proximity of offsite hotels it'll probably be a Best Western for us whenever DBF and I make it out there.

Oh well, a girl can dream

DF Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: "That's not supposed to be HERE!" A Disneyland TR!***Our DFTW Planning Journal
elphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #144
BMC423
DIS Veteran

Good Job Henry on that long flight! Good job to you for bring the bad of tricks . I loved seeing the pictures you guys getting off the plane, when I was small and we used to visit our family in DR the airports were like that too. I kind of liked it, although that would be very chaotic at a big airport.

In & Out burger!!!! I have been wanting to try this forever! Glad it lived up to its hype! Oh and how nice of that boy to save you a booth.

That hotel room is really cute... so are the beach balls but really $65!!!! I love all the accents.

I haven't watched the videos yet, but I always think the pictures of airborne Henry are the best during the bed jumping rituals.

I loled a bit while reading this because I saw the safe picture and I thought wow that safe is big! Next thing I know you wrote the "safe is big" ha ha same thing with the room size. I though it's very clever that the safe opens with a cc or room card... so much easier!
2012 - Caribbean Beach 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
BMC423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #145
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom&RN View Post
Glad the flight went well - thats a long flight for a little kid!! Sounds like Henry was a trouper. I love In and Out Burger, have been to LA several times as my Uncle lives North of LA so fly in there when we visit him and have hit an In and Out on every visit - yumminess!
It was a long flight for big kids.

In & Out will be a regular place when we visit California! YUM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
The In and Out in San Fran was very full. That in and of itself was not the problem. However, I suspect that the number of people there also brought in a number..a very large number of panhandlers and such. The area wasn't very clean and honestly, I felt like we had to wash our hands just standing in the restaurant. I won't be going back. I hope that doesn't sound judgy or mean... but it was kinda alarming and we had our dd who was maybe 4 or 5 at the time with us. I think we were asked for money from no less than 5 people, but as many as 10. (it was a few years ago that we were there so I don't remember exactly)
Oh ick! I've been in those sort of places (Ghetto Gas somewhere between Orlando and Kennedy Space Center! ) and they just wig me out. I don't blame ya a bit. I'm used to panhandlers living in NYC, but even still...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I love the update, btw! I have never seen pics of inside the DL resort rooms. Funny though...all those outdated paradise pier images... that is how I remember DCA. I have not been since they did the refurb.
I do wonder if/when they will update the rooms! They are still beautiful, and the outdated decor didn't phase me a bit. I'll have pictures of the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian Villas too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I just love when Henry jumps on the bed at the start of each resort stay!

The Paradise Pier rooms look very nice, but I am looking forward to seeing the Disneyland Hotel ones -- that's where I want to stay. You did have a couple of nights, there, didn't you?
He LOVES that moment when we say "GO!" It's so fun to watch him.

We didn't actually stay in the Disneyland Hotel, but I took a Travel Agent class while I was there, so I got to see a room. BEAUTIFUL!!!! Just you wait...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Yay! Settled into the room! The room looks great.

Sorry you had trouble sleeping... that often happens to me in hotels.

And yes, I SO get the PP!

I've found about 1 out of 3 trips I don't sleep well that first night. I suppose, in the back of my mind it was all just excitement of the unknown of Disneyland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3 View Post
Love the room video..its nice to see it by way of video instead of just pictures Alexa was cracking up laughing at you and Henry playing on the bed. She thought that was so much fun! I cant wait to read more
I love taking those videos, and they have helped a LOT of people out on YouTube, I get comments on them all the time! It was a blast jumping around on the bed with Henry, and Joe being a goof with the stuffed animals... It was a fun way to start the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Luvin the video of Henry jumping on the bed! So cool!
Thanks! It shows our true goofiness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Yay! You've arrived via airplane and Carzilla. The hotel/resort looks super nice even if it's not Disney owned. At least they added the Disney artwork and Mickey Mouse/Disney touches in the decor.
The hotel actually IS Disney owned now, but when it was built, it wasn't. It had 2 previous owners until Disney took over. You can just sorta tell a bit that it wasn't built as a Disney hotel, but yes, it's still VERY nice, we loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImarriedGrumpy View Post
I love all the photos of PP! I've done 3 trips to DLR since I moved to CA 8 yrs ago, and never stayed at a Disney owned property. We always stay in a good neighbor hotel just across the street...cheaper, although I miss those magical touches that Disney does so well.

My DS is also 4, and I very much understand being nervous about long plane rides. My family is all in MN, with one DSis in D.C., so every visit to family involves 4+ hours on an airplane, plus all the airport craziness. I was especially worried about the trip to see my sister in DC last June, but DS handled it better than I did!

The "secret" menu at In-n-Out is becoming less of a secret all the time. Just google "in n out secret menu" and you'll get a bunch of websites (including the offical in-n-out website) that list some or all of the options. You can do things like ask them to grill the onions for you, or do a mustard-grilled burger, or get chilis added to a burger (or fries!), have a burger cut in half, extra layers of meat and/or cheese, etc. There's specific names for some of the more popular variations, but honestly they'll do pretty much anything you ask with the ingredients they have. Our favorites are the Animal Style fries and burger, and since DS doesn't like the onions, lettuce and tomato (yet...we're working on him...), we order a burger without all those things and cut in half for him. You can also order a root beer float and a few other quirky drink variations, or get a burger wrapped in a lettuce leaf (no bun) or a grilled cheese (no burger). It's pretty fun, and 90% of the cashiers we've had are very friendly about it. We've had a couple who treat our requests like a major hassle, but I think most people like the "secret" part of the menu.

Can't wait to read more of your report! I don't know when we'll make it back for another trip since our finances have just gotten a little tighter here, but I love to live vicariously through the trip reports here!
What off-site hotels have you stayed in? We will do off-site (at least a night or two) next trip for the experience. I hear really good things about the Fairfield, and they even have Disney themed rooms. The Disney properties are all beautiful though!

My family is in MN too! From here though it's only about 2.5 hours. Sounds like your little guy is a pro flier just like Henry! Even still, with how many flights we have done, I still pack a bag-o-distractions, just in case.

That is very cool about the "secret" menu! Henry would have definitely enjoyed a few of those things. And he too won't do the onions, lettuce or tomato - so I had asked for his plain...perhaps we ordered off the secret menu and I didn't even know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
There appears to be a soft refurb in the room since we were there in 2010.

The beach ball pillows, circular duvet, surfboard lamp and shower curtain, as well as the drapes are all new.
Oh really! I didn't realize that! They do look very fresh, so that makes sense. It's a beautiful room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreightonsMomma View Post
The room decor is pretty neat. But $65 for the beach ball pillows??!!! Yikes!!

Love the video of you and Henry jumping and playing around. Creighton started jumping on the couch with you guys.
I know, isn't that funny? I guess they got tired of replacing them!

That's so cute about Creighton!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #146
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Thanks. I have taken Super Shuttle in Texas I think and it was great. I will look into it.

Yes a little bit cheaper. That will be my chariot. Thanks Ladies, I Love the DIS. $10 & $15 compared to $17 &$22.
Woo-hoo! Enjoy an extra Dole Whip or Mickey Bar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I love that video....You guys are having a ball. And I love how Joe has the monkey in the frame and it looks like he is really watching it all going on.
Your hair has grown a lot since last summer. I want to grow mine back out already and it seems to be at a complete standstill.
Isn't that funny?! We were so loopy, it was fun. Joe actually has talked about doing several videos like that with Bill & Rupert (the monkey and bear) since we have a thing called "Bill & Rupert's Adventures!" at bedtime.

My hair grows really fast, it was frustrating when I wanted it short! I like the length it's at now being able to put it up in a ponytail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Love, love, love the jumping on the bed ritual. So cute!

Also love the rooms. I'm a "beach person" so it looks perfect to me. In fact my first thought was how cute one of those beach ball pillows would look in my guest room... until you mentioned it was $65!

The Mickey lifeguard lamp is very similar - just slightly different colors- than the one in the Beach Club hotel rooms (not villas). I will have to take a look on ebay to see if there are any out there....

Looking forward to your first day in the parks!!
They are cute, but not $65 cute! We really enjoyed the decor too, they are beautiful rooms.

I KNEW I had seen that Mickey lamp before!!! That is it! I've haven't stayed at the Beach Club, but I know I've seen pictures. I thought I must had seen it somewhere on the DL boards, but I really hadn't read that many TRs! So glad you cleared that up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie101 View Post
That room looks wonderful! I so so badly would like to stay onsite at DL, and I would probably try Paradise Pier first, but given the cost and the proximity of offsite hotels it'll probably be a Best Western for us whenever DBF and I make it out there.

Oh well, a girl can dream
Paradise Pier does run quite a bit higher per night than even the "Superior" offsite resorts around Disneyland. Perhaps you will snag a discount rate though!!! We got a REALLY good deal, otherwise we'd be right next to you in the Best Western!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC423 View Post
Good Job Henry on that long flight! Good job to you for bring the bad of tricks . I loved seeing the pictures you guys getting off the plane, when I was small and we used to visit our family in DR the airports were like that too. I kind of liked it, although that would be very chaotic at a big airport.

In & Out burger!!!! I have been wanting to try this forever! Glad it lived up to its hype! Oh and how nice of that boy to save you a booth.

That hotel room is really cute... so are the beach balls but really $65!!!! I love all the accents.

I haven't watched the videos yet, but I always think the pictures of airborne Henry are the best during the bed jumping rituals.

I loled a bit while reading this because I saw the safe picture and I thought wow that safe is big! Next thing I know you wrote the "safe is big" ha ha same thing with the room size. I though it's very clever that the safe opens with a cc or room card... so much easier!
I kind of like the simplicity of the outdoor airport too! It totally took me by surprise though!

This jumping on the bed video is more than just jumping - you get to see the goofy Joe and Brook.

That safe was huge! We had everything in there, with room to spare! It was really nice. And we liked that it closed via card or room key too - so easy. The room really was fantastic overall, Henry constantly asks to go back there!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #147
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh ick! I've been in those sort of places (Ghetto Gas somewhere between Orlando and Kennedy Space Center! ) and they just wig me out. I don't blame ya a bit. I'm used to panhandlers living in NYC, but even still...!

I do wonder if/when they will update the rooms! They are still beautiful, and the outdated decor didn't phase me a bit. I'll have pictures of the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian Villas too!

We have panhandlers in Seattle too.. they don't seem to bother me. Maybe just the idea of being in an already unfamiliar place... I don't know..

And... I can't wait to see pics of the other two hotels.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #148
ImarriedGrumpy
AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy
artsfan married booksandcats!
Loves Target so much she has a planned "path" she follows

Quote:

What off-site hotels have you stayed in? We will do off-site (at least a night or two) next trip for the experience. I hear really good things about the Fairfield, and they even have Disney themed rooms. The Disney properties are all beautiful though!

My family is in MN too! From here though it's only about 2.5 hours. Sounds like your little guy is a pro flier just like Henry! Even still, with how many flights we have done, I still pack a bag-o-distractions, just in case.

That is very cool about the "secret" menu! Henry would have definitely enjoyed a few of those things. And he too won't do the onions, lettuce or tomato - so I had asked for his plain...perhaps we ordered off the secret menu and I didn't even know.

We've stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn & Suites (literally at the crosswalk on Harbor Blvd to the entrance plaza) and at Camelot Inn. I like being as close as possible, especially when DS was still napping. We're only in the room to sleep, so as long as it's clean I'm okay with it. BWPPI has been doing some minor upgrades to the rooms, so they're nice. Not out of this world awesome or anything, but a good value. Since they're Good Neighbor hotels, we still get some of the Disney perks, and I love having that. Someday I'd love to stay in the Grand Californian villas, especially since the only way DH says he'll go to DLR with us is if he can stay somewhere with a kitchen. It's not a vacation for him unless he gets to cook. It's not a vacation for me unless I DON'T cook!

LOL...you did order off the "secret" menu! I can't remember what they call it off the top of my head (DH would know...), but a plain burger is on the list.

And my latest trick for long flights is to wrap a bunch of stuff up in fun paper, and let DS open something every x number of minutes. (I think it was every 15 min on our last trip.) Fruit snacks, granola bars, books, crayons, matchbox cars, even a stack of post-it notes. Anything and everything I can get my hands on. DH thinks I'm crazy. DS loves it. He does roll his eyes at me when he opens a familiar book or toy, but he likes guessing and trying to figure out what everything is.

Delighted to be married to a Grumpy! Me DH DS (6) Beatrice Rosalind Alton
ImarriedGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #149
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

We stayed at the HoJos for our trip in '08. I would highly recommend it, and you can get great rates if you plan in advance.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 36/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #150
dolfinjuls
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the look into a DL hotel! I always love the tradition of Henry jumping on the beds! So cute!
1994: 1st Trip @ age 12 off-site, 2000: Senior Trip@ All-Star Sports, August 10-16th 2008 @ Pop! First trip with family!, July 20-30 2009 @ SSR! First trip as DVC members!, Nov 27-Dec 4 2010 @ Pop! 11/4-11/10/11 @ AKV/Pop!, Nov4-8th 2012 at DHHIR On deck: Oct 31-Nov 8 at Pop!
dolfinjuls is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: