Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #61
klm7926
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilivetogo View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
ME TOO!!!!! They really shouldn't book the rooms to anyone else the week this HUGE convention is taking place! I would NOT be happy AT ALL! We check in on Saturday afternoon! This is our first time staying on site anywhere so I'm really hoping and praying it doesn't disappoint.
april 2013: all star sports
klm7926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #62
emcclay
Mouseketeer

Oh man. If they expect a convention of this volume, they should put them all in one section. For example, put a large group in Ranchos, put a medium group in Cabanas, and a small group in Casitas 4 & 5. That way, they can be in their own world on the property, worrying about their own cars, parking lot, pool, etc. That may or may not be a good solution. But, I think if they were all in one area they would be less prone to sprawling out all over the place.

December 2003 - ASMu January 2008 - Wyndham BC October 2011 - CSR March 2012 - CSR January 2014 - BC
emcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #63
Drscholls
Mouseketeer

Grainger is really the only convention that takes over the whole resort. They have been doing it for years. They pretty much take up all three sections of the resort.
Drscholls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #64
Sammie
DIS Veteran

It is a pain, but truly no different than Pop Warner, or large tour groups, cheer and dance groups staying at a hotel.

It just bad luck of the draw. When we travel, we seem to always pick a hotel that is having a family reunion and everyone there is part of the party but us.

I would ask to move if anything else was available.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #65
Belle5
DIS Veteran

We had reservations at CSR during the early March time frame. I am so relieved that our plans had to be bumped to May (and we're not even staying at CSR now)!!!

The reason I had really wanted to stay at CSR in March in the first place was because of the memories of it's beautiful grounds. I would have been seriously disillusioned to see that circus/industrial carnival taking over the whole place! I am truly sorry for anyone who had to have their "magic" tarnished because of this unsightly mess!

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #66
mom2maggie
DIS Veteran

Anyone there now? How is it looking?

Me DH DD8 DD4
mom2maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #67
cindrew
Earning My Ears

WOW! Thank you so much for sharing those photos. So sorry about your trip being ruined. We were planning on CSR for our August trip and found out that the Florida Tea Party and the National Conservative Film Festival will be there. Didn't find anything out about the Tea Party but did find out that supposedly the Conservatives have the whole place rented (I'm was trying to confirm that but haven't gotten a response yet). Since seeing your photos, we will not be staying at CSR during a convention. Hope your next trip is better!
cindrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #68
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Im also staying the same week as you! Im worried now. Anyone hear anything about the tea party convention? is it a big pain in the ###???
When is the tea party group in August? We are going to WDW the last week in August.

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #69
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiew View Post
When is the tea party group in August? We are going to WDW the last week in August.

Maggie
Florida Tea Party is at Coronado Aug.26-31. We're there from Aug.26 - Sept.1. Yikes!
That group better behave themselves, or else!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #70
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetbeachgal View Post
DSW

thanks for doing all of us who have upcoming stays booked at CSR a big favor...when I arrive if I see trucks, tents, forklifts, etc I will ask before checking in how much of the common areas and rooms are involved in the convention, and if it involves lots of outdoor events especially in the evening, closing pools, etc. I will politely ask to speak to a manager and ask be relocated to another resort. The pictures say it all...
That's exactly what I would do as well.
The thing to remember is that CSR is a huge convention resort. That's why it is the 'nicest' moderate. It has more amenities than the other mods. You have to understand that a convention, of any size, could be there at any given moment.
If you arrive, at CSR, and find that you just can't live with the situation, then ask to be moved. It isn't fair for Disney to expect a guest to book a particular resort, then arrive and find that some amenities aren't going to be available due to the convention that's taking place...and be happy about it.
I know that when Pop was way over booked, due to a great special, they had to move a ton of people to other resorts. And they moved them to SSR!! Into DVC units!! Most of those guests were notified prior to arrival to see if they would accept that upgrade...most people did.
So, it shouldn't be tough for Disney to contact those who have reserved CSR (or any other resort) to let them know that there will be a huge convention going on, and would they like to change to another resort.
Obviously, this would only happen if the resort, as a whole, is impacted. Pools closed down, food court being available for shortened hours, buses not able to arrive and depart as normal. That is only going to occur with a huge convention. But, still....Disney still should have addressed it.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #71
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

I was upset a few years ago at CSR when they were filming a promotion of some kind in the pool and wouldn't let anyone down the slide for a while . It was our pool day and it felt kind of awful to be kicked out of a whole pool section in the resort we paid for. The people involved in the filming weren't that nice about it, though I'm sure its stressful having to keep people out of the way for something like that.

I can't imagine how it would feel to have the whole pool closed down .
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #72
juliemcalister
Mouseketeer

Anyone have next year's Grainger dates?

I just found out I'll be attending a smaller convention next February at CSR. Does anybody have the dates for the 2013 Grainger show? I tried a quick Google search but didn't have time to research thoroughly.

Like a few previous posters, I've never been too concerned by the thought of a convention but this sounds more like a trade show.

Thanks!
juliemcalister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #73
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemcalister View Post
I just found out I'll be attending a smaller convention next February at CSR. Does anybody have the dates for the 2013 Grainger show? I tried a quick Google search but didn't have time to research thoroughly.

Like a few previous posters, I've never been too concerned by the thought of a convention but this sounds more like a trade show.

Thanks!
I haven't seen the 2013 dates yet, but I'd plan on it being the last week in February. As soon as the dates get posted, I'll update the CSR thread.
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #74
DJFan88
DIS Veteran

Wow! This makes me not want to stay there anytime! (or the values for those other events). Luckily, even though I like the resort, my hubby didn't as much, so I probably wouldn't anyway. I've been before and you just see the convention people walking around to and from, no biggie. As soon as that lady told me I could change resorts, my car would be packed and out of there! I can inconvenience myself for an hour for a whole vacation of peace.

-----------------------------------------------------------
1997 - off property 1999 - Caribbean
2009 - Caribbean 2010 - Coronado
2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
DJFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #75
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I thought I would mention that we arrived at CSR on the 7th of March. And the only thing I saw that was out of place was a stage in one of the Casitas courtyards that was gone the next day. I was very happy to not have to deal with giant tents and tape all over the sidewalks. Seems the tore everything down very quickly, thank goodness!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convention, coronado springs, csr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: