Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Mbruce
Earning My Ears

Penguins

Is there a place to view the penguins and puffins while Penguin Encounter is closed? Seeing the penguins and puffins was a major draw for me. Thanks.
Mbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruce View Post
Is there a place to view the penguins and puffins while Penguin Encounter is closed? Seeing the penguins and puffins was a major draw for me. Thanks.
No, the entire area is closed off to the public.

However-according to the tour people, the penguin tour is still available. So you would be able to go behind the scenes and touch a penguin.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
anonymouscactus
Earning My Ears

Correct. The only way to see a penguin would be to do a behind-the-scenes penguin tour. I do not know about being able to see the puffins, however.
anonymouscactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Mbruce
Earning My Ears

Thanks. All I needed to know for my planning.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
gardener14
Mouseketeer

Here's a link to a blog post by someone who recently took the behind the scenes penguin tour. While the penguins are "backstage," they mention that the puffins were sent to Sea World San Diego and will not be returning to Orlando. I find that to be disappointing. I think they could find a new home for them in SWOrlando because I always enjoyed seeing them, and they are rather unique, and among all zoos and aquariums I've visited, it's the only place I've been able to see them.

http://behindthethrills.com/2012/02/...s-at-seaworld/
gardener14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Mbruce
Earning My Ears

I am really disappointed about that too. I saw puffins when in Alaska. It was great. I was hoping for an opportunity to see them in FL. I go to FL much more often than Alaska. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
SharonK0527
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener14 View Post
Here's a link to a blog post by someone who recently took the behind the scenes penguin tour. While the penguins are "backstage," they mention that the puffins were sent to Sea World San Diego and will not be returning to Orlando. I find that to be disappointing. I think they could find a new home for them in SWOrlando because I always enjoyed seeing them, and they are rather unique, and among all zoos and aquariums I've visited, it's the only place I've been able to see them.

http://behindthethrills.com/2012/02/...s-at-seaworld/
That is so disappointing. We did the Backstage Penguin Tour in October of 2011 and absoluely loved it. We got to spend about 15 minutes of the tour speaking with one of the puffin handlers - she had 2 puffins with her. While we were not allowed to pet them (the oil from human skin ruins their feathers), we were able to get very close to the puffins, take lots of photos, and spend a good 15 minutes watching them up-close. What a shame that these beautiful animals will no longer be at Sea World Orlando

Sharon
Mom to Savannah, age 11
Pickerington, OH
Owner at Summer Bay Resort

SharonK0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Evansvillegirl26
Mouseketeer

I'm going March6 and have signed up for the penguin tour. WE did it in 2010 and the puffins were part of it. So do they let you spend more time with the penguins since the puffins are not there? Or is the tour cut short?
Evansvillegirl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
pigby
This one might be a little more challenging

We go in June - havent been for some time - when is Penguin Encounter scheduled to re-open?

On the discussion about seeing puffins and penguins, we go to a great little place over here in the UK - in Torquay, Devon where the some of penguins roam about near the visitors - they also have a 'Puffin Cliff' - this is a 'mock up' although puffins are native to the UK. Just wondered whether puffins are native to the US at all?

Sept 2013 Loews Hollywood/Candy Cane Inn DLR, June 2012 Portofino Bay/OKW, Aug 2011 OKW/HRH, April 2011, Candy Cane Inn DLR, California, March 2011 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Jul 2010 HoJo, Disneyland California, Dec 2009 Santa Fe DLRP, May 2009 ASMu/BCV,Aug 2008 CSR/RPR - WDW/Universal, Oct 2007 Santa Fe DLRP,Dec 2006 Sequoia Lodge DLRP, Aug 2006 RPR/Saratoga Springs- Universal/WDW, May 2006 Cheyenne DLRP,Oct 2005 ASMo - WDW,July 2005 POP/WL - WDW, Oct 04 RPR/Pop/POFQ July 03 ASMo - WDW, Oct 02 Newport Bay DLRP, Aug 01 ASMo-WDW Sep 00 ASMo- WDW, Jun 97 Newport Bay DLRP, Jul 90 offsite WDW
pigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
chiamarie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigby View Post
We go in June - havent been for some time - when is Penguin Encounter scheduled to re-open?

On the discussion about seeing puffins and penguins, we go to a great little place over here in the UK - in Torquay, Devon where the some of penguins roam about near the visitors - they also have a 'Puffin Cliff' - this is a 'mock up' although puffins are native to the UK. Just wondered whether puffins are native to the US at all?
A) Penguins will reopen sometime in the Summer of 2013 when the exhibit/ride "Antarctica: Empire of the Penguins" opens.

B) Penguins are native to the US, I believe there would be some up in Alaska.
chiamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
gardener14
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigby View Post

There are Puffins in Maine and across the border in maritme Canada. I don't know where else they live in North America.
gardener14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: