Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #91
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran
 
Minnie Sue Oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 746

Well at least you got "One" lot of people to be efficient..................bad pun I know!!!!

I was a little alarmed at mum from oz's post as we have those same suitcases and I sure hope they last us this trip. I too would have no idea if I had the receipt and I am thinking they would be out of warranty any way as we purchased them 2 years ago. They have done a fair few flights already though, so fingers crossed for this one!!!

And I am jumping on the band wagon too.................never,ever again will I use a travel agent. I only used one this time as I wanted to get a super deal that they had earlier in the year for the flights. Turns out if I had done it myself, I would have saved around a thousand dollars. Now there's a whole lot of spending money right there. But, you live and learn The rest of the trip I did all by myself and I am very prompt at sending myself emails

Hoping you get your luggage soon. DD only mentioned to me this morning that we will have to get the suitcases out soon! Soon! Wow..........38 sleeps for us so even less for you!!!!


__________________
Minnie Sue Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #92
frangipanisam
Mouseketeer
 
frangipanisam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 316

Love a good pun the girls said that our TA should ring up to get some pointers on good customer service

Well on the Strandbags website those suitcases have a 7 year warrenty, I'll keep my receipts just in case

I want to go see Nemo 3D tomorrow because I may be working this week and I'm pretty sure it will end on Wednesday and our cinema only has a 10am showing now so I'll do my luggage after that, even if I end up going on my lonesome

Got my Belle costume and its not exactly what I expected but a pin here or there and a petticoat and it should be right just ordered the Disney Duffy graduation bear on eBay to be sent here so he doesn't take up precious space in a suitcase and I'm tossing up what to do about Ursula.

Bec got this mad hatter and purple petticoat: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/83855-Leg...item7dbf610322

Sam #3 got her cowdly lion and it was too big so she's not sure what she's doing and Sam #2 won't make up her mind so I'm off to harass her incase it needs to come here from the US

33 sleeps today, so much to do thank goodness for school holidays in a week!
frangipanisam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #93
frangipanisam
Mouseketeer
 
frangipanisam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 316

Bit of an update.

Went and bought my luggage last Sunday after watching Finding Nemo 3D (which was spectacular to watch!) and suitcases A and C were no longer on sale so that crossed off options 1 and 2. I also found another set with four spinner wheels but I was concerned about the wheels getting damaged because they are not build in like a two wheel suitcase

So in the end went with suitcases B and D from my original list for $148, little more then I priced in store in early September but that was at DFO compared to a normal Strandbags at the Plaza so meh lol I also got a new handbag because my straps are starting to tear & its not zippered so for piece of mind I went and got a new one with a zip for the trip, love a new bag every now & then

My passport is showing as 100% completed on the website so now its just waiting for it to show up, the date showing on the website is today so fingers are crossed

My big concern at the moment is which travel money card to organise. I was planning to go with CBA because I remember them being Visa but now they are Mastercard...the only Visa version I can find is ANZ and the only different between them is the reload fee 1% with CBA and 1.1% with ANZ but I don't intend to reload so its not a big deal.

I'm just worried if I go with CBA that I'll get caught out somewhere in the US that doesn't have Mastercard HELP!!!

29 sleeps
frangipanisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #94
Melbourne5
DIS Veteran
 
Melbourne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipanisam
Bit of an update.

Went and bought my luggage last Sunday after watching Finding Nemo 3D (which was spectacular to watch!) and suitcases A and C were no longer on sale so that crossed off options 1 and 2. I also found another set with four spinner wheels but I was concerned about the wheels getting damaged because they are not build in like a two wheel suitcase

So in the end went with suitcases B and D from my original list for $148, little more then I priced in store in early September but that was at DFO compared to a normal Strandbags at the Plaza so meh lol I also got a new handbag because my straps are starting to tear & its not zippered so for piece of mind I went and got a new one with a zip for the trip, love a new bag every now & then

My passport is showing as 100% completed on the website so now its just waiting for it to show up, the date showing on the website is today so fingers are crossed

My big concern at the moment is which travel money card to organise. I was planning to go with CBA because I remember them being Visa but now they are Mastercard...the only Visa version I can find is ANZ and the only different between them is the reload fee 1% with CBA and 1.1% with ANZ but I don't intend to reload so its not a big deal.

I'm just worried if I go with CBA that I'll get caught out somewhere in the US that doesn't have Mastercard HELP!!!

29 sleeps
I think you will be well covered. Just make sure you have some cash too to save embarrassment !
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------
2012 Operation Carsland ( DLR - Hilton Anaheim & Universal- Hilton Universal City)
2011 Operation East Coast WDW (Grand Floridian)+Universal(Hard Rock Hotel)+NYC
2010 Operation California & Vegas DLR (Grand Californian)+San Diego+ Las Vegas
2009 Operation USA DLR (Sheraton)
Melbourne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #95
alicia1506
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipanisam View Post
Bit of an update.

Went and bought my luggage last Sunday after watching Finding Nemo 3D (which was spectacular to watch!) and suitcases A and C were no longer on sale so that crossed off options 1 and 2. I also found another set with four spinner wheels but I was concerned about the wheels getting damaged because they are not build in like a two wheel suitcase

So in the end went with suitcases B and D from my original list for $148, little more then I priced in store in early September but that was at DFO compared to a normal Strandbags at the Plaza so meh lol I also got a new handbag because my straps are starting to tear & its not zippered so for piece of mind I went and got a new one with a zip for the trip, love a new bag every now & then

My passport is showing as 100% completed on the website so now its just waiting for it to show up, the date showing on the website is today so fingers are crossed

My big concern at the moment is which travel money card to organise. I was planning to go with CBA because I remember them being Visa but now they are Mastercard...the only Visa version I can find is ANZ and the only different between them is the reload fee 1% with CBA and 1.1% with ANZ but I don't intend to reload so its not a big deal.

I'm just worried if I go with CBA that I'll get caught out somewhere in the US that doesn't have Mastercard HELP!!!

29 sleeps
we used 2 x cba travel money mastercards - one for hotels and one for expenses/souvenirs/dining etc. we had no problems with either one, and had no issues using them at any location. we used the hotel one to make all our pre-bookings, and none had a problem taking or using the card at check in/out. we also used the second card at various atms to draw out cash, and had no problems there either

we also had a GE 28degrees mastercard (regular credit card) and no issues with it, or with our CBA savings/debit cards when we tapped into them either

i think you'll be fine in the usa. having some cash on hand is always recommended, and occasionally they may ask you for ID when using a credit card, but in our experience, mastercard was accepted at every location that VISA was...
__________________
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #96
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran
 
Ms. Shuttergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,041

Since you don't plan to reload why wouldn't you go with the ANZ Travel Visa??? We've used it on 2 trips and have it all ready and loaded for our upcoming trip. Everything was perfect with the card.
__________________


Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #97
frangipanisam
Mouseketeer
 
frangipanisam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 316

Thanks for help guys I'm leaning towards the ANZ visa simply for my own piece of mind & I'll always have cash handy just in case. I just freak myself out I don't think there would be any problems & the other two Sam's are both getting the CBA MasterCard.

Went & got most of my travel toiletry items today, containers, dry shampoo ect so my list is slowly getting smaller each day. Should also have my passport tomorrow as I had a parcel slip in the mail today
frangipanisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #98
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran
 
Minnie Sue Oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 746

Ooooooh it's getting so close now!!!

I have been checking the hours of the parks on the Disneyland website every day. I will be making some adjustments to our itinerary as a result!!!

Glad to hear your passport has been finalised............wait til you have it in your hot little hands, it will all seem so so real!!!!

As for a travel card, I too am shopping about as we used the Cash Passports last time. I have found they have the best exchange rate at the moment so still deciding between them and the ANZ card.

And as for Mastercard versus Visa, take it from someone who works with credit cards every day ( I work for a major financial institution as the head trainer! ), you will be able to use Mastercard everywhere you can use Visa. If you were going to Japan however........now thats a different story!!!!
__________________
Minnie Sue Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #99
frangipanisam
Mouseketeer
 
frangipanisam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 316

Phew! I guess I'll just compare exchange rates the day I do it & go from there

I checked the calendar today & we just need to plan when to do WOC considering Sam 2 & 3 only have three day passes & one of those is our last day when we leave around 5. Everyone says WOC is a must see so I think two of us will have to go over to DCA on our DL day to grab fast passes for that night because the other night is earmarked to see fantasmic & the fireworks. Finger crossed that works out

Minnie Sue, you & your daughter will beat us to DLR so your closer to setting foot in there even though our flight is closer lol we might be seeing Nightmare before Christmas at El Captain on its last day, just waiting to check what the next movie will be & we'll pick from them. The girls just nod and ask how much it's going to cost rather then arguing have you seem the new Nightmare merchandise on the Disney store?
frangipanisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #100
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran
 
Minnie Sue Oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 746

Oh I just love Jack ( nearly as much as Minnie!!! )

I have just heard my credit card sigh..........I am going to be good though now and wait until we arrive before I spend any more hard earned dollars! I will however be shopping madly when we arrive!

Oh I do hope you girls get to see a movie at the El Captain too. Just to be in the theatre to see a movie I something I have wanted to do......that's the Disney nerd comimg out in me!!!


Oh, just thought I would tell you, the Snow White costume arrived........let me tell you, I had a little tear in my eye! AND my shirt has arrived too!!! I will be posting pics in the PTR and updating soon!

Really. Can. Not. Wait

We are so lucky to have all this to look forward to
__________________
Minnie Sue Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #101
Melbourne5
DIS Veteran
 
Melbourne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipanisam
Phew! I guess I'll just compare exchange rates the day I do it & go from there

I checked the calendar today & we just need to plan when to do WOC considering Sam 2 & 3 only have three day passes & one of those is our last day when we leave around 5. Everyone says WOC is a must see so I think two of us will have to go over to DCA on our DL day to grab fast passes for that night because the other night is earmarked to see fantasmic & the fireworks. Finger crossed that works out

Minnie Sue, you & your daughter will beat us to DLR so your closer to setting foot in there even though our flight is closer lol we might be seeing Nightmare before Christmas at El Captain on its last day, just waiting to check what the next movie will be & we'll pick from them. The girls just nod and ask how much it's going to cost rather then arguing have you seem the new Nightmare merchandise on the Disney store?
There is an alternate to fast pass' ing WOC and that's too purchase a picnic dinner or dine at a couple of DCA restaraunts and they give you allocated tickets/ fast passes. It costs as you have to eat but avoid rushing to get FP's.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------
2012 Operation Carsland ( DLR - Hilton Anaheim & Universal- Hilton Universal City)
2011 Operation East Coast WDW (Grand Floridian)+Universal(Hard Rock Hotel)+NYC
2010 Operation California & Vegas DLR (Grand Californian)+San Diego+ Las Vegas
2009 Operation USA DLR (Sheraton)
Melbourne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #102
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran
 
Mum from oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 871

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipanisam View Post
Bit of an update.

Went and bought my luggage last Sunday after watching Finding Nemo 3D (which was spectacular to watch!) and suitcases A and C were no longer on sale so that crossed off options 1 and 2. I also found another set with four spinner wheels but I was concerned about the wheels getting damaged because they are not build in like a two wheel suitcase

So in the end went with suitcases B and D from my original list for $148, little more then I priced in store in early September but that was at DFO compared to a normal Strandbags at the Plaza so meh lol I also got a new handbag because my straps are starting to tear & its not zippered so for piece of mind I went and got a new one with a zip for the trip, love a new bag every now & then

My passport is showing as 100% completed on the website so now its just waiting for it to show up, the date showing on the website is today so fingers are crossed

My big concern at the moment is which travel money card to organise. I was planning to go with CBA because I remember them being Visa but now they are Mastercard...the only Visa version I can find is ANZ and the only different between them is the reload fee 1% with CBA and 1.1% with ANZ but I don't intend to reload so its not a big deal.

I'm just worried if I go with CBA that I'll get caught out somewhere in the US that doesn't have Mastercard HELP!!!

29 sleeps
You mention the Plaza, do you mean as in Penrith? Just curious if you are a westie too.

I'm glad to see you got suitcases even if they were a little more than you planned for. I had no trouble with the ANZ travel card the two years I got one. Worked everywhere we went.
__________________
2011 - WDW, US/IOA, Bahamas Dream Cruise, DL TR
2011 - HK Disney TR
2012 - WDW, Legoland, Eastern Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, SFO TR
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #103
frangipanisam
Mouseketeer
 
frangipanisam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum from oz View Post
You mention the Plaza, do you mean as in Penrith? Just curious if you are a westie too.

I'm glad to see you got suitcases even if they were a little more than you planned for. I had no trouble with the ANZ travel card the two years I got one. Worked everywhere we went.
Why yes I am a Westie I knew that battymum was out this way too, didn't know anyone else was

I'll be organising the ANZ visa for my own piece of mind

Now very exciting stuff this morning. I picked up my passport and my photo didn't look as bad as I thought it would I love the design compared to my child one from the early 2000's, very pretty

I have also organised my ESTA visa, registered on smart traveller and bought two more TSA approved locks off eBay love crossing things off my to do list!

Melbourne5 we have considered the WOC picnic but haven't decided which way to go. Has anyone done one before and what were the meals like?
frangipanisam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #104
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran
 
zanzibar138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,106

Yay for having all your travel documents

It's funny all this talk about travel cards and such - DH and I just use our normal bank/credit cards wherever we go! We looked around at travel cards and found that we really wouldn't be saving any money. It's good if you're concerned about your own cards getting lost/stolen overseas though.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the WOC picnics, but I just wanted to urge you to make sure you see it! It's pretty spectacular and well worth the effort Although I may be biased as that's when DH proposed to me We did the WOC meal at Ariel's, which was nice, but rushed. Personally I would go for a package option, especially if you've only got one night to see it. It just makes the day so much more relaxed not having to rush there first thing (we actually had a non-Disney day that day and just went in for dinner), and it mean that if you're delayed for some reason and don't make it to the fastpasses early, you're still guaranteed a decent view.
__________________


TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (Howard Johnson & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HK Disneyland Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) with HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #105
Melbourne5
DIS Veteran
 
Melbourne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipanisam

Why yes I am a Westie I knew that battymum was out this way too, didn't know anyone else was

I'll be organising the ANZ visa for my own piece of mind

Now very exciting stuff this morning. I picked up my passport and my photo didn't look as bad as I thought it would I love the design compared to my child one from the early 2000's, very pretty

I have also organised my ESTA visa, registered on smart traveller and bought two more TSA approved locks off eBay love crossing things off my to do list!

Melbourne5 we have considered the WOC picnic but haven't decided which way to go. Has anyone done one before and what were the meals like?
We were due to go to carthay theatre restaraunt but plans changed and we did different days. We arrived about 12 noon , went to fast pass section near grizzly river rapids and got FPs for the 830pm show now worries. This would be very dependent on crowd levels though. We were there 2 weeks after it opened in 2010 and couldn't get a fp for the first 3 days!
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------
2012 Operation Carsland ( DLR - Hilton Anaheim & Universal- Hilton Universal City)
2011 Operation East Coast WDW (Grand Floridian)+Universal(Hard Rock Hotel)+NYC
2010 Operation California & Vegas DLR (Grand Californian)+San Diego+ Las Vegas
2009 Operation USA DLR (Sheraton)
Melbourne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.