Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
MOM2MC2
Disney Dreamer

Discovery Cove - Locker Rooms

Does DC have family locker rooms? I'll be with my 9yr old son and uneasy about him alone in a locker room for an extended period. Can anyone foresee any safety concerns or am I just being overprotective?
June, 2009 - Wilderness Lodge, August, 2010 - Gaylord Palms, June, 2010 - Wilderness Lodge/Beach Club, September 2011 - Wilderness Lodge/Beach Club, May, 2011 - Universal/Loews Royal Pacific, Nov., 2011 - Thanksgiving Holiday, Beach Club `
MOM2MC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
DisneyLoverUSA
DIS Veteran

family locker room

I have never seen ANY PARK, water park or otherwise that has a locker room that is co-ed. They have a women's and a men's.

Being as he is 9 years old I would DEFINITELY NOT take him into the women's locker room. That is likely to cause a big stink immediately.

Just tell him when he takes his towel and clothes into the men's locker room to make sure he GOES INTO A STALL. That's what my boys do. They go into a stall. They will either have shower stalls with curtains or an actual bathroom stall.

Even me and my daughter go into stalls in the ladies locker room. I don't dress and undress in front of strangers.

But being 9 yrs old, IMO, is plenty old enough to go into the men's locker room and change into his dry clothes.

I would just make sure he knows to WAIT for an open stall to change.
DisneyLoverUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

FWIW - When we went to DC, we did not change there at all. We wore our swim clothes there and then wore them back to our hotel where we showered and changed. This was in August and it was quite warm and we saw no reason to change there; it was just easier to do it the other way. It also saved us valuable time in the AM. When are you going? If it is in the warmer months such as May - Sept. then I wouldn't have him change there at all and avoid your reason for worry. Then he'll only need to go into the men's room to use the bathroom. The lockers themselves are not where you would change, they are out in the open, so no worries stashing your stuff. As the mom of 2 boys, they would have died of embarrassment if I'd suggested we share a changing room at that age.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOM2MC2 View Post
Does DC have family locker rooms? I'll be with my 9yr old son and uneasy about him alone in a locker room for an extended period. Can anyone foresee any safety concerns or am I just being overprotective?
Since you asked, I think you are being overprotective. I let my DD9 go in alone and she was just fine. They do not have family locker rooms.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't let my nearly 9 year old go to the mens all on his own either. I don't see why you can't take him to the womens, it wouldn't bother me seeing a 9 year old in the changing rooms, he's still a child.

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmumof2 View Post
I wouldn't let my nearly 9 year old go to the mens all on his own either. I don't see why you can't take him to the womens, it wouldn't bother me seeing a 9 year old in the changing rooms, he's still a child.
It may not bother you but it would bother those 8, 9, 10 year old girls trying to change. It is the women's room, not men's. If said 9 year old child still needs help dressing that is one thing. Otherwise, let him take care of himself.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmumof2 View Post
A 9 year old is 3rd or 4th grade. Unless the child is special needs, he should not be in a locker room where girls are changing. I do not know a single 9 year old boy who is not capable of going the bathroom or changing by himself that is not handicapped/ on the spectrum. As the parent of two boys, who often has traveled alone due to DH's work schedule, I know it can be difficult to let them out of your sight. But, it is still inappropriate to bring them in with you and as the mother of a daughter I would be extremely upset to see an older boy in the girls' room. It's a lot different than bringing a younger child, who doesn't know any better, in with you.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: