Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
lucifie
DIS Veteran

What are your favorite tips for photographing kids?

I'm an amateur, trying to learn how to take better photos. I'm mostly photographing my kids, but they're still pretty young and the cooperation is iffy. I have 4 kids, so it's nearly impossible to get a good shot of all of them at the same time and quite often they're moving targets. I especially have trouble in lower light. My little one (20 months) will either try to come to me when I'm taking a picture or if I'm trying to capture her doing something cute, she'll stop what she's doing and ham it up for the camera.

I've seen a lot of great pictures of kids, so I know it can be done, but most of my great pictures are pure luck.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

What are you shooting with and what is your skill level?

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

My 2DD's are the same way, uncooperative. They don't like taking photos for me but have no problem with strangers(other photographers). I just takes chances when they aren't paying attention. I'm having the same troubles you are. I learned to shoot candids from farther away.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
What are you shooting with and what is your skill level?
Right now I have a Canon SX120is P&S. I'd say I'm pretty much a beginner. I've had some higher-end P&S cameras, but haven't ventured out of the Auto and preset modes much. My favorite setting on my current camera is "kids & pets" and I get decent amateur pictures, but not great.

Reading through this board has inspired me to play with my camera and figure out what it can do and I've discovered some things I didn't know it could do. It has gridlines that can show up on the LED display, making it easy to apply the "rule of thirds" and I've been playing with it in continuous shooting mode and have gotten surprisingly good results. I never really played with it on this camera because on my last camera the continuous shooting mode was pretty disappointing.

There's still a lot to learn, but now I'm kicking myself for going so long without learning more about what my camera can do.

I'm starting to look into getting a new camera just because this one has seen better days and I don't want it to die completely at WDW or so close to our trip that I wouldn't have time to learn how to use it. Several years ago I learned the hard way not to get a new camera right before an important event.

My only complaint about this one is that I have a hard time getting good indoor pictures unless it's a bright day and there's a lot of natural light coming in the windows. That could very easily be a problem with me and not the camera, though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: